Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did you encounter stability or related issues?
I meant to cover that, but forgot. I had a couple of serious bugs, including one that softlocked the game whenever I started a repair operation, which I suspect would have doomed my campaign eventually if it had got that far. I couldn't tell you exactly which mods caused my issues, although the mags mod is my prime suspect. Anyway, yes, unfortunately the mods introduced some bugs. Bear in mind that I enabled and disabled a couple of the mods mid-campaign (a few by necessity, as they were removed from the steam workshop), which might have screwed things up.

Edit: I've pinpointed all notable bugs to the mags mod, as suspected. That thing's not ready for use yet. The others should be fine.
Do they change the difficulty of the game much?
They make it a bit harder, but not outrageously so, at least not as far as I got. As I said, the main thing is that getting shot, or getting shot at, is a much bigger deal than in the base game, which favours the enemies since they've got the numbers advantage. All the mods have adjustable values, so it's possible to tailor the experience to be as easy or hard as you want it to be. There's also a mod to increase enemy numbers in general, which I might try. Overall, as someone who thought the base game was a shade too easy on the hardest difficulty, I'm finding that with the mentioned mods on their standard settings the game isn't a cakewalk by any means, but not unmanageable either. It feels pretty good.

Last edited:

0wca

Learned
So what's the consensus? Is it actually worth playing?

I've seen the gameplay videos way back and they looked like ass, but that was before the developer switch I think.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can try the demo. Impressions seem all over the place. I like it, but acknowledge that there are things that can be improved and/or changed.

Kruyurk

Learned
Sometimes you have additional little challenges on the maps. Once Blood decided that every enemy must be ended by groin shots. The rest of the team sighted but obliged, because Blood is carrying them. He did more than his share of the work by stabbing two scuzzwad in the dick to death.

0wca

Learned
I'm very surprised by how good this game turned out.

And the fact that most of the problems it has can be ironed out by patches and mods.

The writing's actually good and it's heavier on the roleplaying aspect which is great.

I'm still in early game but I'm enjoying it so far.

spectre

Arcane
I was also impressed by how quickly the devs patched in an official, non-buggy version of the Active Pause mod.
From what I recall in the mod's description, it was a feature from debug mode that one guy discovered how to enable.

My impression of the dev team is that they were second-guessing themselves too much when it comes to balance,
but had the right idea to leave stuff in for modders.

spectre

Arcane
I think 0wca got JA3, JA3D and JA:BiAtch (back in action) all mixed up.

Easy mistake to make. The two latter abortions is where everyone has the :prosper:face.
413219000.jpg

Kill...me...
1C4F104614B2ED98D283285E84AFD395A594D74D

Holy crap, just googling this shit gave me ptsd.

0wca

Learned
I've seen the gameplay videos way back and they looked like ass, but that was before the developer switch I think.
? Are you talking about a video you saw in 2008 or something?

I think 0wca got JA3, JA3D and JA:BiAtch (back in action) all mixed up.

Easy mistake to make. The two latter abortions is where everyone has the :prosper:face.
413219000.jpg

Kill...me...
1C4F104614B2ED98D283285E84AFD395A594D74D

Holy crap, just googling this shit gave me ptsd.

Nope, I'm talking about the early beta (or I guess it was EA) gameplay video for this game which didn't look very good.

But yeah, nowhere near as bad as those two.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's a very long history of attempts to create a Jagged Alliance 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagged_Alliance_(series)#Jagged_Alliance_3

Strategy First and Game Factory Interactive announced in June 2004 that Russian developer MiST Land South would develop the next two games in the Jagged Alliance series: Jagged Alliance 3D (JA3D) and Jagged Alliance 3 (JA3).

Jagged Alliance 3D was envisioned as "JA2 in 3D", or basically the same game as Jagged Alliance 2 but using a 3D engine. Jagged Alliance 3 would be the "true sequel" to JA2, a full-fledged game in the same spirit as JA2, and using the engine developed for JA3D. JA3D would come out quickly, within a year or two of the release of the generally successful Wildfire mod, and be followed by Jagged Alliance 3. SFI choose GFI because GFI had already released Cops 2170, a tactical-strategy game published by SFI in North America. The two companies already had a relationship, and it was felt the JA3D project could be mutually beneficial.

From statements made by both Strategy First and Game Factory Interactive, it is apparent that GFI assumed the costs for the development, with SFI providing the intellectual property and the overall vision for the project. This arrangement proved to be very cumbersome, and prone to misunderstandings and confusion. SFI, naturally enough, had very ambitious goals for JA3D while GFI sought to control development costs and time.[30]

The initial plan was for GFI to use a modified Cops 2170 engine to quickly produce JA3D. However, GFI already had a second strategy game in production, ALFA: Anti-terror, and they made the decision to use this engine for both games. GFI planned to set the game in Africa, which was fine with SFI. However, GFI ran into trouble with the strategic layer for Jagged Alliance. They proposed a mission-based structure for JA3D instead. There would be no free-flowing strategic layer, as in Jagged Alliance and Jagged Alliance 2 where the player made strategic movement decisions, and initiated attacks on a map. Instead, the game would be structured like Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games, with a series of missions, which were essentially combat-only levels. SFI was resistant to the idea, but agreed to it, feeling this would shorten the development time. Besides, JA3D was always intended as a bridge between JA2 and JA3, so it was acceptable that it was not a "full game".

In 2004, initial screenshots of the new engine were released, showing a somewhat primitive 3D engine with familiar Jagged Alliance characters, such as Shadow.

In May 2005, the MiST Land South developers announced they would be discarding the turn-based combat system in favor of real-time combat. The turn-based combat had been a hallmark of Jagged Alliance from the very beginning, and it was a major reason why most fans stayed with the game. This announcement was a surprise to Strategy First, and was very quickly vetoed by Richard Therrien, VP product development of SFI.

In September 2005, SFI withdrew the rights for Jagged Alliance 3 from GFI, leaving them with the JA3D license only.[31]

A pre-beta version of JA3D was shown at the 2006 E3 convention, and received a generally favorable reception.[32] The gameplay appeared to be very similar to Jagged Alliance 2, with updated and improved graphics, as well as a 3D combat engine.

On July 20, 2006, Game Factory Interactive announced that MiST Land South was being dissolved, as of August 1, 2006.[33]

In August 2006, SFI withdrew the rights to JA3D as well. GFI claims that the game simply did not fit within SFI's plans. SFI, on the other hand, states that JA3D was in an incomplete state and not ready for the scheduled release date. It was obvious that SFI, having faced years of development without any progress, had finally given up on the project.

This left GFI with no rights to use any of the intellectual property of JA3D, including characters and story line. GFI now plans to rework the characters and story to remove Jagged Alliance-specific details, and will publish the game under a different name. In a September 3, 2006 post on its discussion boards, GFI claims that SFI owes it money, but this is denied by SFI without further elaboration. One of the changes GFI plans to make to JA3D is the introduction of a strategic layer.

In November 2007 Game Factory Interactive released Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge.[34] The game does not have any storyline or characters in common with JA2, as GFI lost the rights to use any of the intellectual property of Strategy First. Still, it is seen as a spiritual successor; the game is structurally similar to Jagged Alliance series and features a mercenary-themed plot, turn-based gameplay, and a familiar game interface.

Strategy First intended to produce Jagged Alliance 3 internally, with head developer Thiessen promising a much more open experience than any other Jagged Alliance game. There were expected to be five separate factions to fight in JA3, instead of a single enemy. Characters were said to have their own agendas and allegiances in addition to randomization of various settings of the game upon startup in order to make it less predictable; a character who was allied with the player in one game could be their enemy in the next. Player actions were also said to influence how the characters of the world react to them.

In December 2006, Strategy First outsourced Jagged Alliance 3 again. The publisher, along with Russian developers Akella and F3games, were to create the game, setting an approximate release date of late 2008.

As of October 2008 the game has been delayed again, and Akella's website was displaying a release date of Q1 2010. This delay was likely due to publishers demand to improve graphics.[35]

On December 21, 2009, a German language game site reported that Akella had stopped development on Jagged Alliance 3.[36] Strategy First had made no statement on the future of the Jagged Alliance series.

On March 9, 2010, German outfit bitComposer Games (now bitComposer Interactive) picked up the rights to the PC strategy series, and started "preliminary development" on the third full game for release in 2011.[37] In August 2015, Nordic Games (now THQ Nordic) acquired the rights from bitComposer. “The decision to acquire Jagged Alliance was an absolute no-brainer for us”, commented Reinhard Pollice, Business & Product Development Director at Nordic Games,[38] although no immediate announcement has been made regarding their specific plans for the series.

On September 17, 2021, during the THQ Nordic 10th Anniversary Digital Showcase Jagged Alliance 3 was announced for PC, now in development by Haemimont Games.[39]

But when Haemimont started showing their game it already looked pretty much the way it does now.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyway, consoles:

https://www.thqnordic.com/article/s...ood-jagged-alliance-3-coming-playstation-xbox

Sofia, Bulgaria / Vienna, Austria, August 29th, 2023: Exciting News for Console Gamers! Get ready to dive into the world of strategic brilliance as Jagged Alliance 3, the highly acclaimed turn-based tactics game, gears up to make its grand debut on both PlayStation and Xbox platforms. Settle into the comfort of your couch, take command of your skilled mercenaries, and embark on a mission to rescue the nation of Grand Chien.

Boasting an impressive Metacritic Score of 81 and a User Score of 8.1 for its PC version, coupled with a staggering 91% approval rating from Steam reviews, Jagged Alliance 3 has undeniably captured the essence of excellence. As eloquently stated by Hooked Gamer in their stellar 95/100 review, the game has truly "nailed the vibe." Likewise, IGN hails it as "a smartly-built, action-packed throwback tactical extravaganza" paying homage to its nostalgic charm.

Anticipation builds as Jagged Alliance 3 undergoes meticulous development for both PlayStation enthusiasts, spanning from the fourth iteration to the latest PlayStation 5, as well as for devoted Xbox players, covering both the Xbox One and the Xbox Series S/X. The game is slated for release at a suggested retail price of $59.99 / €59.99 / £49.99.

Lead your mercenaries to victory from the comfort of your living room as Jagged Alliance 3 redefines strategic gaming on consoles!

Check out the Console Announcement Trailer: https://youtu.be/0gl3GCVrdPk

Links to the game:
Xbox: https://www.microsoft.com/store/productid/9pjdq1mkwn3d
PS: https://store.playstation.com/concept/10005890

Limited Tactical Edition Box returns for Consoles & PC
We have retained a few units of the highly acclaimed Jagged Alliance Tactical Edition (which sold out within a few days) for the upcoming Console release. Once again, these are being offered in a strictly limited quantity of 550 pieces. Make sure to secure yours by pre-ordering the Jagged Alliance Tactical Box. This exclusive offer is available only through our online store at:
https://eu.store.thqnordic.com/en/241/jagged-allia...
... and at our THQ Nordic Vienna Store.

The limited Jagged Alliance 3 Tactical Box comes in a sturdy and waterproof case, ensuring your gear remains safe and dry. The Tactical Belt with a Belt Pouch provides quick and easy access to your essential items, while the A.I.M. pin showcases your allegiance to the cause. Please note: No copy of the game will be included in the edition, please place a separate order.

Check out the Tactical Box Trailer: https://youtu.be/Zjorkl7WM7g

Get to know the characters of Jagged Alliance with a set of 36 character cards, each showcasing their professions and personalities. With the Jagged Alliance 3 Tactical Box, you'll be fully prepared to take on whatever challenges come your way!

Here's the full overview:
  • Outdoor case, 100% water- and dustproof & IP67 certified
    • Outer dimensions: 258 x 243 x 118 mm
    • Inner dimensions: 235 x 180 x 106 mm
  • Heavy Duty Tactical Belt for your pants
  • Tactical Belt Pouch for your gadgets
  • A.I.M. Pin
  • Set of 36 Character Cards
  • GAME NOT INCLUDED
The Tactical Edition will be available at an SRP of € 79.99 and is limited to 550 pieces.

Last edited:

pm_675

Arbiter
The limited Jagged Alliance 3 Tactical Box comes in a sturdy and waterproof case, ensuring your gear remains safe and dry. The Tactical Belt with a Belt Pouch provides quick and easy access to your essential items, while the A.I.M. pin showcases your allegiance to the cause. Please note: No copy of the game will be included in the edition, please place a separate order.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Kruyurk

Learned
Collector's edition are a very cringe concept, targeted at FOMO consoomers with shit tastes (who wants to fill their house with all that crap?)

ArchAngel

Arcane
:nocountryforshitposters:
Diablo 4 plague is spreading..

spectre

Arcane
That "plague" has existed since forever. Everything is shit is 2nd motto of 'Dex
Well, if you want to be the "glittering gem of hatred" you were meant to be, I'd say the minimum requirement is being informed what you're raging about.
You still need to finish a game seven times to be sure it's shit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That "plague" has existed since forever. Everything is shit is 2nd motto of 'Dex
Well, if you want to be the "glittering gem of hatred" you were meant to be, I'd say the minimum requirement is being informed what you're raging about.
You still need to finish a game seven times to be sure it's shit.
Nah, you just need to read 7 codex reviews for same game before you can make up your mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom