Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Josh Sawyer appreciation station

writing ever more complicated shaders requiring different languages for every hardware vendor etc.
? GLSL if you're using OpenGL, HLSL if you're using Direct3D, MSL if you're using Metal, and any one of them that you want if you're using Vulkan.
This doesn't change with different hardware. Available device features might, but you can write all your shaders in the same language. And at least in GLSL's case it doesn't matter if you're doing graphics or compute, GLSL is fine for either.

Codex Year of the Donut
that's the kind of attention to detail I wish gamedevs had, where are you keeping these troves of games?
hardcore gamers who have trained themselves to look past the bells and whistles anyway.

As I was saying. The Outer Worlds, for instance, does this.
I think that broadly speaking what's going on here is that the difference between releasing a product that's 95% polished and one that's 99% polished

Outerworlds never even got close to the 95% mark to begin with, that's why people shit on it.
I in fact already praised it for the kind of things you're mentioning, and it seemed many codexers agreed:

After combat if a banter gets interrupted one of them will say "Now where was I" and then continue talking.

There is no escape from the POZ.
That's incline though.
Just had this happen to me, neat feature. I hope other party-based games pick it up.

The issue is that it was nowhere near enough to carry the rest of the abortion of a game.
I also praised it for extensive reactivity, yet that does not offset the terrible parts.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Who's the milf, and why is she under an Orthodox icon? And what is an Orthodox icon doing in his office?
image.png

It's not just a random orthodox icon, it's the "three-handed" mother of god.

6ESZLg3.png

LiMlbpQ.png

I wonder if it has more meaning then just being an "exotic picture" for Sawyer.

ciox

Liturgist
seems bullshit

i was playing and modding an alleged "AA" game that sold for 40 bucks on steam, aliens fireteam
- almost all gameplay logic is simple and implemented with blueprint LEGO blocks that a total newbie can use
- very simple combinations and recombinations of the forementioned LEGO blocks are used to deliver most new content in updates
- scenes are built with random asset packs from the unreal marketplace
- devs create bugs with patches and repeatedly bring back very old bugs, community is understanding
- game shipped with an ability that didn't work at launch, and still doesn't work 1 year later
- on discord when discussing bugs you can tell devs the exact place where they made a mistake in a blueprint, as in what checkboxes they need to check and uncheck to fix the bug, and they won't find time to put in the fix through multiple seasonal updates

AohxSrk.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How much is AA? Is Underrail AA? How about Age of Decadence?

"AA" or Double-A games are mid-market video games that typically have some type of professional development though typically outside of the large first-party studios of the major developers; these may be from larger teams of indie developers in addition to larger non-indie studios. Double-A studios tend to range from 50 to 100 people in size.[27] A double-A development studio will typically be backed by a publisher but not fundamentally part of that publisher, and thus have somewhat more freedom to innovate and experiment compared to triple-A studios, though will still be constrained by specific risk-limiting targets and goals from their funding source. Double-A games tend to be priced $10–40 compared to $60–70 (as of 2021) that triple-A games are priced at.

As of 2022 Game publishers and studios that are currently considered to be AA include Devolver Digital, Warhorse Studios, Obsidian Entertainment, and PlatinumGames.[29]
To me, single-A is a budget in the single millions, AA is tens of millions (what was AAA in the 00s), AAA is now hundred million and more. Those are just regular basement dev games.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's soy chorizo, figured that'd be obvious based on context. That being said, I always thought the "soy" thing was just a meme, but I guess "Soyer" really earns his name. He(?) is such a walking cringefest.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
As I was saying. The Outer Worlds, for instance, does this.

I in fact already praised it for the kind of things you're mentioning, and it seemed many codexers agreed

Yeah, TOW had many cute improvements to problems that would routinely plague older games. Companions don't do the usual companion shit like poping you out of stealh or blocking the door. Party banter doesn't abruptly end. Inhaler was a cool solution to potion hoarding...and we could go on, but none of it matters when the game itself is boring as fuck.

Dadd

Learned
I wish he didn't broadcast every little retarded thing about his life like a teenage girl.

Lhynn

Arcane
29 year old woman who looks like she's well into her 40s already.
I knew you were salty about sawyer not delivering. But damn, thats a good burn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom