Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
This is a tremendously honest game.
What? There's not a single person of color in the entire game. None of the bandits or cumans or bandits or knights in the game are women. Are we just going to pretend that black people don't exist? Are we going to say that women can't and didn't fight?

I love this game and have played it several times, but I have never actually finished it. What happens is, once the monastery quest comes around I end up getting frustrated and bored and end up killing everyone in the monastery and then, of course, the town guards get involved so they all die and after that I've got an insatiable bloodlust going on so I end up going town to town looting and pillaging. That's the canon ending to Henry's story in my world.
There's an easy hack to get around the buggy, railroaded monastery quest. Once you know the identiy of the fake acolyte, although the game won't allow you to utilize this knowledge in dialogue, you can find a dagger stashed away, sneak up on your target while he is alone, kill him with an automatic stealth dagger takedown, then pick up the required item from his corpse and continue on with the main quest.

Granted, the remainder of the main quest isn't much good, either. :M
The main quest was OK, but I really feel like it ignores how powerful Henry has become by the end of the game. If I could wish for just one change to the main quest, it would be a secret ending before you enter the final chapter. I put on my heaviest armor, drank a bunch of potions, walked into Vranik with a halberd, and slaughtered the entire army by myself. At that point Radzig should say "Good job, Henry. You just killed over a hundred people today. We're very proud of you, and a little horrified too." Credits roll.

SlamDunk

Arcane
it's been almost six years since Kingdom Come: Deliverance released, and Warhorse should be readying the sequel for release by now.
In February 2024 they will have been working full time on the next game for perhaps a total of 4 years, at the most, and a portion of that has been slowed-down remote work due to office being closed because of the COVID-19 scamdemic.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yea open world RPGs take fucking eons to make and the full production has definitely not been going on for 6 full years but some type of announcement would be nice.

I remember when Vavra himself came here years ago, when KCD was just announced, and all the autists were giving him a hard time about his thoughts on turn based vs real time or other shit. :negative:

I would love to ask him more serious and interesting questions, like what were they thinking with including master strike into KCD (as implemented), or why they don't try to license KCD engine/tools to other companies.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I remember when Vavra himself came here years ago, when KCD was just announced, and all the autists were giving him a hard time about his thoughts on turn based vs real time or other shit. :negative:

I would love to ask him more serious and interesting questions, like what were they thinking with including master strike into KCD (as implemented), or why they don't try to license KCD engine/tools to other companies.
Don't know about Vavra, but didn't he kinda got drunk with the success of KCD and stopped giving a damn?
I know he also had some pretty based takes on Twatter, don't know if he shifted towards globohomo current thing worship...
Still, would be pretty cool to come back here and have a talk with us.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Don't know about Vavra, but didn't he kinda got drunk with the success of KCD and stopped giving a damn?
I know he also had some pretty based takes on Twatter, don't know if he shifted towards globohomo current thing worship...
He's way more radical now, constantly ranting and raving on Facebook about this or that woke nonsense. He's p. much the Czech equivalent of Quartering or Critical Drinker.

I can't wait for the Kwan journalistas to start trawling through his posts and tweets once KCD2 comes out and I'm p. sure they can't wait either.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
He's way more radical now
So he belongs in the Codex.
Eh, he's very pig headed and short-tempered. Let's just say him rage-quitting Codex after his short stint last time wasn't an accident.

Plus he doesn't really fit other profiles, he's not really the kind of asperger neckbeard loner nerd that Codex is mostly populated by. He's a famous game designer, a multimilionaire, with a wife and three kids. He doesn't need people mass dumping on him for this or that on some lameass forum.

V17

Educated
The problem with his facebook posting is that he fell into the trap of "I'm successful and exceptional at one thing, therefore I must be really smart in other areas as well". The fact that he doesn't give a shit about mainstream opinions is nice, but quite regularly he makes angry posts about things he knows fuck all about, and by that I don't mean the typical internet leftist argument of "he disagrees with me, therefore he doesn't understand xx as well as I do", I mean that he seems to be unaware that he didn't spend enough effort to understand the basics of what he's arguing against to craft an actual argument against it, so even when he's right (which with an anti-woke person happens quite easily), it's often just a coincidence.

Doesn't make his games any worse, but every time I see something like that I cannot help myself and think "damn, I hope he spends more effort on KCD2 than this", because otherwise it's going to be shit.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
he quite regularly makes angry posts about things he knows fuck all about....he seems to be unaware that he didn't spend enough effort to understand the basics of what he's arguing against to craft an actual argument against it, so even when he's right (which with an anti-woke person happens quite easily), it's often just a coincidence.
Eh...not really. He did make a few mistakes in the hundreds of posts he makes every year, usually bc he rushes to judgement too soon, as you said. But mostly he's right, especially compared to various mainstream gubrmint and media people that are almost always lying or propagandizing or spouting some nasty mindfuck.

V17

Educated
he quite regularly makes angry posts about things he knows fuck all about....he seems to be unaware that he didn't spend enough effort to understand the basics of what he's arguing against to craft an actual argument against it, so even when he's right (which with an anti-woke person happens quite easily), it's often just a coincidence.
Eh...not really. He did make a few mistakes in the hundreds of posts he makes every year, usually bc he rushes to judgement too soon, as you said. But mostly he's right, especially compared to various mainstream gubrmint and media people that are almost always lying or propagandizing or spouting some nasty mindfuck.
It's possible he's gotten better. I stopped following him at some point after the covid lockdowns ended because it seemed like 50% of the time when he was talking about anything that was not purely political but with just a smidge of science (whether medicine, physics or whatever), it was obvious that he has no fucking idea and doesn't know he has no fucking idea. To reiterate, since covid especially seems to be a loaded topic for many, I don't care about the political opinions he derived from that or whether he agreed or disagreed with whatever, but that he had no idea what he was arguing for or against because he didn't bother to spend half an hour to read a popsci article or something.

quaesta

Educated
why they don't try to license KCD engine/tools to other companies.
Isn't it just Cry Engine? The game itself (besides the scenery) isn't technically that interesting, and for the nature itself it's mostly from assets/sound design, not the engine themselves. I speak in ignorance, so if I am wrong I'm sorry.

V17

Educated
Isn't it just Cry Engine? The game itself (besides the scenery) isn't technically that interesting, and for the nature itself it's mostly from assets/sound design, not the engine themselves. I speak in ignorance, so if I am wrong I'm sorry.
There's been a ton of modifications they had to made to make Cry Engine work. It really wasn't made for open-world RPGs. There were some grievances in choosing it instead of something else IIRC as well. This is my assumption and not a fact, but from how they talked about it in the past it sounded like their modifications are too tailor-made for KC specifically to generalize for other games that are not just KCD clones.

I meant all the systems they built atop the CryEngine, melee combat, horse riding, stealth, clothing/armor with many layers, NPC day night cycles, tools for placing castles, etc. Most of that stuff in KCD is very high quality, would've been nice to see a plethora of historically themed games using that technology.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Given that there are actual proper, dark areas with fantastic lighting effects, the game engine would be badass for a Thief-style game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Given that there are actual proper, dark areas with fantastic lighting effects, the game engine would be badass for a Thief-style game.
Yea CryEngine had by far the best global illumination before UE5. And it's still almost a match.

Hammerite catches Garrett in the act.

"Thy time has come, you snickery wicked man, I shall remove thine other eye with mine hammer!"

Garrett unsheathes longsword.

"This here is what we in the HEMA circles call a double reversed masterstrike riposte..."

Hammerite feeling the fountain atop his neck: "OH SHIT!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom