Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Will I need gems, other than various diamonds (which are required for crafting), for anything, or I can just sell them off for extra cash? Like rubies, emeralds, malachite, etc.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
YV44VKf.jpg

*** Critically damaged ***

*** Near destruction ***

*** Almost destroyed ***

*** One more hit and it will surely die ***

Will this thing fall already? And how am I supposed to deal with those gelatinous creatures, each of which has 60+ hp, can paralyse, break items upon hit, has the ability to devour its opponents, and explodes when destroyed.

Last edited:

Covenant

Savant
Will I need gems, other than various diamonds (which are required for crafting), for anything, or I can just sell them off for extra cash? Like rubies, emeralds, malachite, etc.

I looked this up myself - can't remember where I saw the reply but apparently all of them can be sold (bar the elemental/star diamonds for crafting) without issue.

You might have more luck with the cubes if you pick up the recruitable NPC sorcerer in the grey goblin base. Also, a wall of stone at the entrance of the northern tunnel into that room is handy for blocking off a couple of them at the start.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Knights of the Chalice 2 Version 1.55

Greetings, Dear Knights of the Realm!

Here's a small update for KotC 2 that fixes a number of bugs I was informed about recently, including the AI bug with Grapple attacks.

It also adds one new spell for Druids and Storm Warriors: Boulder Strike (spell level 5).

It's somewhat like the level-3 Druid spell Turn Pebble to Boulder, but the new spell has a 40' line area of effect, and the damage increases when a target's elevation is lower than that of the caster (+1d6 points of damage for every five feet of elevation below that of the caster). Please note: the area of effect of Boulder Strike increases by 10 feet for Earth Druids.

I'm envisioning some fiendish scenarios with improved Earth Elementals standing on cave ledges and using a Boulder Strike Spell-Like Ability against the player characters below. ^_^

Please don't hesitate to email me at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com if you find any more bugs and annoyances. A saved game may be very helpful, too.

Thank You So Much For Your Stalwart Support!! Enjoy :)

List of changes in Knights of the Chalice 2 Version 1.55

Added the new Druid / Storm Warrior spell Boulder Strike.
Fixed a bug with infinite enemy grapple attacks from enemies that have the feat Greater Grapple. This was due to the recent change in the feat Greater Grapple.
In the Feat selection screen, when right clicking on the feat Improved Throw Creature, this would open the help entry for Improved Grapple. The game will now open the correct help entry.
In Augury of Chaos, given the 'Rush to the Enemy' AI setting to the Mimics of the Lower Sewers.
Fixed a source of crashes when the AI tries to cast Chromatic Orb and the caster's level is above 20. Also fixed the Chromatic Orb damage when the caster level is above 20.
Fixed a bug with enemy Mage Knights not making use of the feat Phase Spells.
Improved the in-game help entries for Dexterity, No Dexterity Bonus to AC, Flat-Footed, Falling, Balancing, Bull Rush, Trip, and Earth Sphere.
Fixed a display bug when mousing over the list of party-member names in the top-right corner of the main view.
Fixed a tooltip display issue in the Module Editor when mousing over creatures.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
HURRAH, I've finally dealt with that stupid golem. It took dozens of attempts, I got two of my characters dead, constitution severely reduced on the others, lost a powerful item, but I made it through. Now it's time to return to the goblin encampment to heal and rest, and get out of this place. *Hears some eerie GrrrRRRrrRRrrrr in the distance* Oh what was it, I don't like how that sounds......Aaaanyway, let's get back to the goblins and--

WXUL0FI.jpg
:what:

Ookay, we haven't to fight him, let's move on to the next chapter...

3WTL4iF.jpg
:what::what::what:

How come this bitch is still alive? I thought I killed her dead back in the first chapter!!! :deathclaw:

Another session of intense buttfucking with the RNG it is :|

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
glad to see that you are enjoying the pierre experience, friend

and it's only going to get better from this point on
0.gif

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Is there any use for gold ignots or I can sell them if I need money?

Oh, I've just read the description...

Man, it's gonna be painful without any lvl 4 spells on my casters.

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
you should be pretty loaded after that fight so I would advice against selling crafting mats unless you really need

also not sure if I mentioned this before but managed to do archmage ironman run but did not get achievement some time ago :argh: used older version before all the buffs to monk / barb and so on. Pierre has a habit to change encounters and enemies which I found tilting for ironman attempts

Last edited:

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
SHIT I've managed to kill that hueg croc along with his assorted retinue, but then my warlock died AGAIN and thus he didn't receive the precious EXP from that battle, so I'm still without lvl 4 spells...

UPD I killed the gigantic crocodile and managed to preserve all my characters in that battle. The guy turned out to be a much smaller threat compared to how he looked in appearance, to say nothing of his companions.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
the dude just said that he is starting to work on it

probably 1 year at the earliest but considering all of them are supposed to be bigger than AoC in scope and ambition I would assume 2

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
the dude just said that he is starting to work on it

probably 1 year at the earliest but considering all of them are supposed to be bigger than AoC in scope and ambition I would assume 2
I would imagine the timeline will also depend on whether he needs to build more functions or whether he's going to use the base that he's developed and "just" make adventure content.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This guy is a legend :D

The new OGL 1.1 from WOTC will make the current OGL unauthorised. Revoked! Illegal! Completely banned retroactively! AND it will prevent the creation of OGL video games. That's right: the new OGL does not cover video games at all.

So, people have been asking me, how will the new OGL affect Knights of the Chalice? First of all, the new OGL has yet to be published by WOTC. I know that there is a leak, and this leak seems to be the actual OGL 1.1. Nevertheless, as long as we haven’t got the official word from WOTC, all of the talk about the new OGL remains speculation.

Now, let’s assume that the leak is the actual OGL 1.1. And let’s assume that WOTC actually enforces a ban on all material that was created in good faith while the OGL 1.0 was still authorised. Then, in this case, I suppose I could turn the KotC games into non-OGL games.

This means rephrasing all of the in-game help entries that contain SRD text, and removing all mentions of the OGL in the games and webpages.

WOTC previously explicitly authorised the creation of video games using the OGL. This was made very clear in two FAQs – the OGL FAQ and the Software FAQ. By November 2021, both FAQ webpages were still online on the website wizards.com. That’s the website of WOTC.

I quote from the OGL FAQ the last question, at the bottom of the FAQ: Question: I want to distribute computer software using the OGL. Is that possible? Answer: Yes, it's certainly possible. [...] you have to clearly identify what part of the software is Open Game Content. One way is to design your application so that all the Open Game Content resides in files that are human-readable.

Now I will quote from the Software FAQ right from the top of the FAQ: Question: Can the licenses be used with software? Answer: Yes, both licenses can be used with software. (By both licences, the FAQ refers to the licence of the OGL and the licence of D20)

Question: So what kinds of programs can I make with the OGL? Answer: Anything. Question: So I could make a game? Answer: Sure. Remember though, [...] you can't say your game is a d20 System game or uses D&D rules or call it Elminster's Undermountain Crawl.

Both of the FAQs were removed from the website of WOTC in 2022 only. If you search the Wayback Machine website, you will see that the Software FAQ was still online as late as 22 November 2021. Here are the links to the two FAQs:
Software FAQ: https://web.archive.org/web/200403070...
OGL FAQ: https://web.archive.org/web/200403070...

Video game creation can take a very long time and it can require substantial investments. Therefore, video game creation can't be based on a vaporous, fluctuating licence agreement, something which is not suggested by the wording of the OGL 1.0a. I quote from the text of the OGL: 4. In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to Use the Open Game Content.

If you look up the English definition of the word “perpetual” you will find this: Never Ending. Revoking the OGL 1.0a even for material created while this licence was authorised is akin to pulling the rug out from under the feet of the many people who've been creating fantasy material in good faith and in compliance with all of the terms of the OGL 1.0a.

Under the terms of the leaked OGL, approving the new licence essentially means that WOTC gets to capture all of the intellectual property of creators.

The use of the OGL in video games and elsewhere can hardly be considered to be a prejudice to the D&D brand. That's because OGL users were never allowed to use the D&D logo, or the D20 logo, or the words Dungeons & Dragons (except very indirectly). We could never claim to be part of the D&D brand, the D&D umbrella. All we are allowed, currently, is the use of the SRD text, which is the very barebones ruleset material without any image.

It would be one thing to agree to royalty payments IF we were allowed to use the terms "D&D OGL" to begin with. But that's not the case. By not being able to call our products "Official D&D" we are prevented from benefiting from the popularity of the D&D brand name. That's why an OGL game can hardly be viewed as a serious competitor to any Official D&D game.

Please support all the OGL creators out there and show to WOTC that it’s important for you that the Open Game Content remains Open and Free for all people to use in their creations. There is a petition collecting signatures at the website : https://www.opendnd.games/. Feel free to sign that.

Please like this video, become a subscriber, and why not buy KotC 2 if you haven’t already done so? I am now creating new adventure modules for KotC 2 and this is going to be a really awesome adventure. Please rest assured: No-One Can Stop That! #OpenDnD #KOTC #RPG #KnightsOfTheChalice

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
What a pain in the ass. WotC should be supporting people like him.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I expect that the reason the new OGL hasn't actually been released is that the leaked version is unenforceable other than through trying to create an expensive enough lawsuit that small creators would buckle because they couldn't afford to fight it. Either that or the creators didn't fully understand the leak (haven't read it myself). Specifically, though, you can't retroactively rescind something such as a public statement of a universal license that people adhered to. I guess creators could be screwed if their prior releases didn't comply with the full terms of the original OGL and its FAQs.

That being said, if WotC thinks they're leaving money on the table by having the OGL, then I can't see them not yanking it going forward with a specific cut off date where projects aren't covered any longer if they release afterwards and I imagine their lawyers are hammering out details and negotiating terms for whatever the final version of this ends up being. It's just an interesting shift because the OGL was originally put out because they figured the additional creators would help drive the visibility and sales of 3E when they were trying to push adoption. I suppose it makes sense because it put them in a weird position of having to compete with prior editions of their own game when they're trying to leave prior editions behind as a company.

As an aside, is it just me, or does Pierre sound even more French than usual in that video?

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

mediocrepoet

Patron

Mortmal

Arcane

As an aside, is it just me, or does Pierre sound even more French than usual in that video?
When it comes to complaining the french emerges.
I forgot. That's the National sport of France, isn't it?
Not so much , we are the heirs of descartes and the enlightment philosophers so we question things and thrive for a better quality of life. A mentality that succeeded and made france a powerhouse.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

When it comes to complaining the french emerges.
I forgot. That's the National sport of France, isn't it?
we just have high standards in terms of what decent quality of life should be. we just can't bring ourselves to eat shit
No shit, just roots?
roots... so this is how U should eat roots :
or like that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrv_eAOXlC8&t=272s

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom