Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind was massive decline and should be considered as such

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
"Skyrim is decline compared to Oblivion"
"Oblivion is decline compared to Morrowind"
"Morrowind is decline compared to Daggerfall"

"Daggerfall is decline compared to Arena" when?

V_K

Arcane
Morrowind was my first Elder Scrolls game
And herein lies the problem. You're approaching DF having MW as a standard, and from that perspective DF's features surely seem superficial, and its content, repetitive.
But if you approach MW from a DF perspective, the opposite is true. DF is just a very different game in its aspirations; it's much closer to Darklands than it is to Morrowind. DF's focus isn't on hiking or overworld exploration, but on simulation and dungeon crawling. It pushes forward from Darklands, trying to make its simulations in-engine wherever possible (mostly in its city gameplay), but it still retains the extensive but abstracted simulation of Darklands as the baseline. From this perspective, all the supposed improvements in MW are just irrelevant fluff, while the massive streamlining of the simulations is more than obvious.

mondblut

Arcane
Morrowind was my first Elder Scrolls game
And herein lies the problem.

Absolutely. "I liked Morrowind more than Daggerfall" is a code for "I haven't been exposed to RPGs until 1999". No exceptions.

It pushes forward from Darklands

Wait till Kingdom Come fanboys hear that there was an earlier game set in XV century HRE and come whining how repetitive and empty it is. Hurr durr my handcrafted virtual square mile world!

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
You wanted citations, I'm giving you citations.

Need to get all you illiterates cultured somehow.

Drowed

Arcane

Decline is the natural state of the universe. Entropy ensures that everything will gradually crumble and disintegrate, and the games will increasingly dissolve and decline to heat death of the gaming industry. There is no escape, there is nothing to do, except to remember the glorious days of past ages that will never return, while we orbit the black hole of releases that are just remnants of an almost lost memory. And our only comfort is to know that we saw the brilliance of the peak, to then, witness the darkness of the end.

The fun may be momentary, but only doom is eternal.

(Which in turn is also a decline from Doom 2016, which reinforces the point).

MWaser

Arbiter
See, I think it's not entirely fair to claim that Elder Scrolls "stopped being Elder Scrolls" with Morrowind.

Not because the arguments for the differences are wrong, it's true that Morrowind abandoned many of the design principles that existed in Daggerfall, however I don't think the claim of "streamlining" and "casualization" explains the whole story.
Compactness, planning, and end goal are very important aspects of any project.

Daggerfall, when compared to Arena, is an endlessly better game. Arena is a really janky dungeon Crawler, technically shitty, with a world that is functionally unusable (just empty terrain and you can't actually get anywhere), while Daggerfall actually gives off a legitimate feel of the world somewhat existing in that large scope.

However, just how many of these aspects are vital here for the "essence" of the Elder Scrolls? As far as I can tell, the major design principle change between Daggerfall and Morrowind made it so that Morrowind no longer tried to include a gigantic world that tried to simulate some kind of ongoing nation reality, and instead went on to create an intentionally more static and thus more easily managable contained game world.

I can understand, for the hardcore role-playing autists, that there is some nerd potential in expanding upon that aspect of extremely detailed intertwining faction politics with coded in dynamics that would influence the game world or events. Thing is, in Daggerfall, none of the factions allying/warring, their dynamics, nothing mattered. And to be fair, it would have taken countless more years and likely better technology to try and make it actually more meaningful. Think Star Citizen tier of extreme complexity, maybe not to the absurd degree, but it's an insane amount to ask for, an essential fantasy reality simulation - I think the best currently existing example of such attempt existing would be Dwarf Fortress, which actually does have its own generated history, with factions being created, falling, warring, expanding, and legends being made. That, in proper RPG form, could be truly admirable, but also an extremely ambitious project - the "dream", to speak of. And I don't think it's fair to equate them with the "essence of Elder Scrolls" that the abandoning thereof made the series not the same. It's the essence of something, some ambitious project, but it's pretty wild to claim that one's particular expectations with it were the entire series goal, since not just a single person worked on the massive project that was Daggerfall to begin with.

But let's actually look at the OP for a second, shall we?
Yes you read it right, i mean every words.
This game was the first game in the elder scrolls that got rid of features and stuff.Instead of improving daggerfall and adding stuff, this game threw everything out of the window.
In total, Morrowind got rid of:
  1. Skills:Orcish,Harpy,Deadric,Medecine,swimming,climbing,critical strike,Backstab,Centaurian,streetwise,SprigganThaumaturgy,Nymph,Orcish,Dragonish,dodging, Giantish,etiquette,Impish. A total of 19 skills removed in Morrowind only .3x times more skills removed between Daggerfall and Morrowind than Morrowind and Oblivion.
  2. Main quest: Choices and consequences removed in Morrowind
  3. NPC: No longer sleep, no longer answer you if they accept you in their houses. You can no longer ask for work.
  4. Factions: 18 factions removed from Daggerfall, Temple factions gone, Knightly orders gone. Factions can no longer dismiss you and factions can no longer refuse you if you have a bad reputation.Faction reputation
  5. Dungeons: hidden doors, traps, complexity.
  6. Wereboar
  7. Daggerfall 9 vampire Bloodlines-> 3 vampire bloodlines Morrowind
  8. Witch covens
  9. Court: debate or lie
  10. Political entities
  11. Cities can no longer ban you
  12. 20 shrines in Daggerfall -> 11 Shrines in morrowind
  13. Music that changes considering the mood
  14. In daggerfall 2 hours OST -> 50 minutes in Morrowind
  15. Banks, ship, letters of credit, carriage,horse,Bracers,and other items.
  16. Character creation, edit reputations, deep background, you can no longer edit advantages and disadvantages.
The only things that morrowind has upon daggerfall are alien setting and everything hand-crafted.
2 steps forward 16 steps backward, and it goes downhill since morrowind.
I won't bother mentioning every single point separately (I believe someone in this thread already did it, but memory fails me), but note that a bunch of points mentioned are pretty arbitrary, and more generally tied to game design. Only some of them are directly tied to this aforementioned "dream" of the Elder Scroll series that was supposedly lost with Morrowind.

Now, let's look at OP's some more modern posts in this same thread:
Some of the members on codex misunderstood my point because of the clickbaiting title, my point was:
Morrowind is a good game obviously , better than Daggerfall, it's universally admit by everyone, i'm not trying to shit on morrowind because it's an excellent game , that wasn't my goal.
I'm trying to say with this thread that Morrowind lost the Design philosophy of what makes An Elder scrolls game, well, an elder scrolls game. Morrowind transformed The elder Scrolls into Ultima but in 1rst /3rd person instead of Isometric. This isn't the elder scrolls, this is an other franchise that Morrowind set up from the ground. And thus, The elder scrolls franchise become something else of what it was really. Oblivion was the one step further into turning The Elder Scrolls into a banal RPG clone that morrowind started .
The "clickbaity title" doesn't even half answer the actual contents of the original post nor the level of the vitriol with which the OP originally responded.

In essence, what I am trying to say is that one of the mods should award George Duroy his long-desired Shitposter title at this point. Because he certainly deserves it.

Alex

Arcane

Daggerfall actually was genuine incline, strange as it may seem.

Edit:

You had a spell to destroy dungeon walls in Arena :obviously:

That is a fair point, though. Still, the extra complexity in dungeons do make up for this, I think.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

They are all shit. It is sad that you guys have never played EverQuest. It feels like when I see homeless children who have never tasted good healthy food, never been educated, never had dental care, etc. They missed out on so much and they don't even know what they are missing, all they know is life on the street. All you guys know is Elder Scrolls :( Sad. I wish I could gofund you guys to make myself feel better.

Duralux for Durabux

I can understand, for the hardcore role-playing autists, that there is some nerd potential in expanding upon that aspect
Why do you qualify Hardcore RPG fans autistic ? And RPGs always are and were for nerds.Wizardry was made by nerds for nerds. Have you a problem with that?
Besides RPGs declined because they tried to attract non-nerd players.
If they don't conform with your opinions, fine ignore them but calling them " austitic" is really pathetic.
See, I think it's not entirely fair to claim that Elder Scrolls "stopped being Elder Scrolls" with Morrowind.

Not because the arguments for the differences are wrong, it's true that Morrowind abandoned many of the design principles that existed in Daggerfall, however I don't think the claim of "streamlining" and "casualization" explains the whole story.
Compactness, planning, and end goal are very important aspects of any project.
At first , you said that the elder scrolls serie hasn't stopped to be the elder scrolls with morrowind but then you said that morrowind abandoned many of the design principles of Daggerfall. I'm sorry but everyone here qualifies Fallout 3 not a real fallout game because it abandonned some design principles of Fallout 1.
The "clickbaity title" doesn't even half answer the actual contents of the original post nor the level of the vitriol with which the OP originally responded.

In essence, what I am trying to say is that one of the mods should award George Duroy his long-desired Shitposter title at this point. Because he certainly deserves it.
Making this big long post just because you want a shitposter tag in my profile adds nothing interesting to the debate,and so your post. Furthermore, Calling Hardcore RPG fans "Autistic" should reward your profile with a shitposter tag instead of me. And again if you dissagree with me fine there is nothing wrong with that, just put me in the ignore list (or rate all of my posts retarded )and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

MWaser

Arbiter
I can understand, for the hardcore role-playing autists, that there is some nerd potential in expanding upon that aspect
Why do you qualify Hardcore RPG fans autistic ? And RPGs always are and were for nerds.Wizardry was made by nerds for nerds. Have you a problem with that?
If they don't conform with your opinions, fine ignore them but calling them " austitic" is really pathetic.
Oh, no, by no means, don't get me wrong. Compared to how many people use the term, I don't consider "autism" in this case to actually be meant as an insult, but rather as a descriptive term for a certain kind of obsessive quality.
Sure, it's not medically nor terminologically accurate, but I've become quite partial to the definition.

I consider myself a valid role-playing autist myself, in contrast to the definition of a casual normiefag.

V_K

Arcane
I can understand your reasoning behind the rest, but Onegin? Really? The book's a masterpiece of versification, but it's not terribly deep.

Desiderius

Patron
That's the problem with the would-be greats of this age. They're so deep they've lost sight of the Sun.

Onegin is the national epic of Russia for a reason, and its answer to the original question is a uniquely savvy one.

Desiderius

Patron
De gustibus non est disputandum

One interesting thing about Onegin is that it can be read like a MGTOW tract, but with the sexes reversed.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
I'll solve it for all of you right here.
Truth is?
Elder Scrolls sucked from day fucking one and there's nothing really redeeming about any of them from an RPG aspect.
They're open world games masquareding as RPGs.
There.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom