Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
He's on a whole nother level of autism. Looks like he's recruited some sidekicks as well.

Testownia

He's on a whole nother level of autism. Looks like he's recruited some sidekicks as well.

He can afford it. Literally, nobody else is seriously modding the game. Say what you want about Sawyer, he polished both PoE games to a mirror sheen, whilst Owlcat introduces 2 new bugs for every 2 they fix.

Desiderius

Patron
Holic isn’t in the bug fixing business, and P:K is not in fact that buggy anyway. Maybe it is on console, not my thing.

I just flag things that aren’t working as advertised or don’t fit expected templates (i.e. every ability that works on a lvl/x basis rounds up to 1 except Healers Way so I flagged it) he takes it as personal insult and pretends I can’t read the FAQ or some shit.

Was hoping it would get better if I sent him some money but no dice. PnP purist plus kind of rules lawyer so whatever. It is what it is.

Testownia

Holic isn’t in the bug fixing business, and P:K is not in fact that buggy anyway. Maybe it is on console, not my thing.

I just flag things that aren’t working as advertised or don’t fit expected templates (i.e. every ability that works on a lvl/x basis rounds up to 1 except Healers Way so I flagged it) he takes it as personal insult and pretends I can’t read the FAQ or some shit.

Was hoping it would get better if I sent him some money but no dice. PnP purist plus kind of rules lawyer so whatever. It is what it is.

Dude, it randomly changes the gender you are addressed as. I have never seen such a fundamental thing broken in an RPG before. Can you imagine this in a fully voiced game, where every several sentences you're addressed as a female?

Desiderius

Patron
Couldn’t care less. I play with sound turned down. Sounds more like a troll than a big.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Swole dude

Novice
Hello guys.

I played this game a while but my save files were corrupted so I couldn't finish it. Looking to get back into it.

What is the best class for your player character? Any suggestions would be great.

What are the most fun classes to play with?

Delterius

Arcane
Hello guys.

I played this game a while but my save files were corrupted so I couldn't finish it. Looking to get back into it.

What is the best class for your player character? Any suggestions would be great.

What are the most fun classes to play with?
a full arcane caster fits every party and is sorely lacking in the companion department, but the most fun is probably whatever you want to do

Desiderius

Patron
Full Arcane Caster isn’t lacking.

Only thing lacking there is Paladin, which makes a decent first MC. Shifting an early companion into a Pet class will make the game more manageable first time through.

Val -> Feyspeaker (Druid)
Amiri -> Sacred Huntmaster (Inquisitor) or Defender of the True World (Druid) - will need to boost her WIS as you go
Harrim -> Mad Dog (Barbarian)

Are all things that can work.

Most important thing to realize that Bard has double the action economy of BG games and that Song effect is basically irreplaceable.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Octavia isn't even a full wizard. She has one level of Rogue, and Arcane Trickster plays rather differently to the typical controller/buffer.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
You don’t need a wizard at all.

Desiderius, don't you ever get tired of this shit.

You do this all the time. Reframe a statement or a question or whatever, in some asinie way as to make yourself out to be correct and the initial statement/question seem false or stupid.

You are not beeing clever, you are beeing a cunt.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Octavia isn't even a full wizard. She has one level of Rogue, and Arcane Trickster plays rather differently to the typical controller/buffer.

There is absolutely nothing stopping you from playing Octavia as a "typical controller/buffer". In fact, she excells in that role as well.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron

There is absolutely nothing stopping you from playing Octavia as a "typical controller/buffer". In fact, she excells in that role as well.
Her rogue level is completely wasted and there's no point in taking AT if you're not gonna nuke. And Wizards don't have enough slots to do everything all the time.

Desiderius

Patron
You don’t need a wizard at all.

Desiderius, don't you ever get tired of this shit.

You do this all the time. Reframe a statement or a question or whatever, in some asinie way as to make yourself out to be correct and the initial statement/question seem false or stupid.

You are not beeing clever, you are beeing a cunt.

I’m making an empirical statement. It’s directed more at Delt than the original question but it is identifying a premise they likely share that does in fact not hold.

It’s relevant because it contrasts P:K from previous games in a way that new players don’t recognize causing themselves needless grief as they try to shoehorn P:K into their pre-existing assumptions.

What I’m continually mystified by is the relentless war waged on reality itself and on those with the temerity to point to it occasionally by midwits like yourself. What do you get out of being constantly wrong and wrong in ways that bring you only impotence and frustration? It doesn’t have to be this way.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
You don’t need a Wizard because the usual things people bring along a Wizard for are well-covered by other classes. Now Wizards do some of those things better, but unlike previous games Bard both does some things that are irreplaceable for a beginner, but also because of their double action economy don’t drag the rest of the team down while doing so.

An underlying purpose of the design is to wean people away from MMO thinking. You need neither tank, spank, nor heal. A minor variation on that theme is relying on the old Wiz standbys like Magic Missile and Hold Person also turns out to be less powerful (and not in a munchkin way but in a less having to reload way) than exploring the new spells and abilities the game offers.

Desiderius

Patron

Her rogue level is completely wasted and there's no point in taking AT if you're not gonna nuke. And Wizards don't have enough slots to do everything all the time.

Not completely. AT is as much about viable (I.e. idiot-proof) non-spell action economy as it is nuking. The other way for Wiz to get that is a shape spell when you run out of your other ones and the Finesse and Sneak helps there even for non-AT.

That’s important in a setting with limited rest. People who waste a slot on a pure tank and another on a pure healer need the damage.

I’ve found if I just want her nuking I go R4 melee and unleash the cones or R4 Gish with Sword Saint or EK if I don’t need the casting at all.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Not completely. AT is as much about viable (I.e. idiot-proof) non-spell action economy as it is nuking. The other way for Wiz to get that is a shape spell when you run out of your other ones and the Finesse and Sneak helps there even for non-AT.

That’s important in a setting with limited rest. People who waste a slot on a pure tank and another on a pure healer need the damage.

I’ve found if I just want her nuking I go R4 melee and unleash the cones or R4 Gish with Sword Saint or EK if I don’t need the casting at all.
I'm not saying she's not a good character. She very much is, and pretty idiot-proof as you said. All I'm saying is she's not a full wizard, and cannot do the same job as a full wizard with the same efficiency.

Desiderius

Patron
By the time you get Horrid Wilting you have several other options (none good against that particular foe!) of course, but again back to the original question.

“Play a Wizard” is in fact bad advice for a new player and for exactly the reasons outlined. It is entirely on point and Faarbaute projecting his own personal hang-ups onto it is out of place and counterproductive.

Ive grown to love playing Wizards, especially non-ATs, but they’re the worst for new players because they exacerbate the difficulty of adjusting to what makes P:K different from the games they are used to.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom