Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

M. AQVILA

Arcane
I've finally decided on 1 Scaled Fist/3 Paladin/1 Sorcerer.

Race: Human;

Bloodline: Gold Dragon;

Feats: Toughness; Intimidating prowess (SF); Weapon Focus; Dazzling Display; Elemental Focus: Fire (S); Power Attack (DD); Cornugon Smash; Shatter Defenses; Blind-Fight (DD); (Defensive feat: Iron will, Great Fortitude, etc); Improved Initiative (DD); Dreadful Carnage; (Defensive Feats)...

Spells: Buffing focus;

Although I'm still undecided on whether I should pick a monk weapon for flurry of blows or just do as I like and choose the greatsword. I'm leaning towards the latter to be honest, I don't particularly like the monk weapons.

Seriously though, why?

Because playing as a mighty dragon wannabe sounds pretty cool.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I've finally decided on 1 Scaled Fist/3 Paladin/1 Sorcerer.

Race: Human;

Bloodline: Gold Dragon;

Feats: Toughness; Intimidating prowess (SF); Weapon Focus; Dazzling Display; Elemental Focus: Fire (S); Power Attack (DD); Cornugon Smash; Shatter Defenses; Blind-Fight (DD); (Defensive feat: Iron will, Great Fortitude, etc); Improved Initiative (DD); Dreadful Carnage; (Defensive Feats)...

Spells: Buffing focus;

Although I'm still undecided on whether I should pick a monk weapon for flurry of blows or just do as I like and choose the greatsword. I'm leaning towards the latter to be honest, I don't particularly like the monk weapons.

Seriously though, why?

Because playing as a mighty dragon wannabe sounds pretty cool.
Alright. I just don't think the class is good value compared to other options.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah, the mighty Toughness, who can avoid the lure of that sweet, sweet HP?

Sword Saint 1 to get Dueling Sword Proficiency and Focus then Aldori Defender 1 to get it again!

Having fun with the old Pathfinder Kingmaker.

Desiderius

Patron
So Hunter comes with Martial Proficiency (the familiar 3/4 classes don't, the newer ones like Warpriest and Occultist do):
Hunter Martial.jpg

That means one thing: Throwing Axes

With CotW it's ridiculous because Two-Weapon is one Feat then gets iteratives naturally like main hand. I like this change exactly because it makes things like Throwing Axes and Shield Bashing viable for non-Fighters but it is VERY viable.

CotW Storm Druid.jpg

Here's the Storm Druid. CotW has various Mists and Storm and Fog spells that shut down whatever bad thing you didn't want happening inside. You use them for CC then Dismiss or flail around inside them yourself after you've handled the main threat. This class makes it asymmetrical.

I.e. you're unaffected by your own Scirocco.

CotW Wild Shape.jpg

I went ahead and took Natural Spell but in CotW you can cast in Elemental Form without it.

Wild Shape block spell like.jpg

Need it even for your Spell-like abilties.

Depths Control Construct Occultist.jpg

Here you go, Crispy

This seems pretty good in the Depths of the Depths. Occultist Sixth level so available at class level 16. No Save or Resistance.

Desiderius

Patron
is there any case where dragon disciple makes you stronger than staying in main class?

It would if P:K didn't give out stats like candy.

It's a long game and I think burning a feat for early game is worth it because you still get 30-50 hours out of it. In any case, I think Duelist is a better prestige class than Swordlord. You get more AC (and it stacks with Sword Saint bonuses if you have any), can parry nat. 20, get more initiative, free combat reflexes and you don't have to get Dazzling Display (intimidation works poorly with dex builds imo).

Here, read this:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/posts/6592812/

and this:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...urn-based-combat.125267/page-594#post-6594665

and this:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...urn-based-combat.125267/page-595#post-6595915

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Somewhat agree on the DEX builds Intimidation thing (see Regill) since Cornugan goes through Power Attack but not Piranha. At the end of the day 13 STR isn't that hard to get nor Cornugan necessary if you're getting Shaken from somewhere else, and you'd really like to have Shatter and some Persuasion on your MC in any case.

Desiderius

Patron
Probably better than it looks. No real reason to skimp on CON in main campaign and in any case you get some from Dragon Disciple.

For some reason new players of any kind of D&D game gravitate to abilities that increase health. Many studies show this. We’re all to old to remember when we did too.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
For some reason new players of any kind of D&D game gravitate to abilities that increase health. Many studies show this. We’re all to old to remember when we did too.
I remember an interview with Wizard's 3rd edition designer who mentioned exactly this trend, and how he made the feat intentionally bad so he could teach them to stop. (Before PF, Toughness gave just 3HP fixed and nothing more) Thankfully Paizo realized how idiotic it is to give players shitty options on purpose.

Desiderius

Patron
That was Rosewater’s conclusion as well. As in the Soyer case would have been better to give them a moderate stove on which to burn their hand than to coddle them in faceroll.

Learning is fun. First step of learning is sucking.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
That was Rosewater’s conclusion as well. As in the Soyer case would have been better to give them a moderate stove on which to burn their hand than to coddle them in faceroll.

Learning is fun. First step of learning is sucking.
Yeah. Rosewater is a good designer and I learned quite a bit by reading his articles and listening some of his podcasts. It's just a shame he has no real power in Wizards and they've spent the past years making one mistake after another on the very things he specifically called out years ago.

Desiderius

Patron
He’s the kind of guy who can, and would, talk himself into all the bullshit though. He did hire a guy (random dude who played fun decks at prereleases) I recommended to him (Mark Globus) so that was cool.

Parabalus

Arcane
Probably better than it looks. No real reason to skimp on CON in main campaign and in any case you get some from Dragon Disciple.

You sure this applies to CRPGs?

First instinct is to dump CON since they are easy and content is gated behind skills, of which CON governs none.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
You sure this applies to CRPGs?

First instinct is to dump CON since they are easy and content is gated behind skills, of which CON governs none.
Depends on the class, in my experience. Newbies who play martials tend to overvalue HP, newbies who play casters tend to undervalue it.

Desiderius

Patron
Still uses up valuable time. Can’t really sit there all day while your buffs are expiring try to roll a 19. Makes more sense than take twenty.

Desiderius

Patron
Then in combat you have to dedicate a lot of resources to make it reliable. There are classes then that specialize in that.

Elegant design.

Desiderius

Patron
Got a Sorc headed to Dragon Disciple, an Aldori Defender/Swordlord, a Kinetic Knight, an Evangelist Cleric, an Investigator, and a Hunter/Leopard on level 3 in Depths for testing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom