Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Guys, I have just accepted the Barony and I have built part of my new city, two days ago. From then on, I haven't played the game. This "kingdom management" part scares me. Can I do without destroying everything suddenly and forcing myself to restart?

Because I have heard a lot of terribe things about the kingdom.
If you've just acquired the kingdom part, and started doing the management minigame, be wary that there are fail states that might end up in a game over, which isn't really intuitive. You can turn that off in the options menu if you wish.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, you'll probably have to restart eight or ten times to get the hang of it, and then it can still destroy you out of nowhere.

Superhard and totally random.

It's why hardly anybody got to Ch3 and the word of mouth was awful and Owlcat went bankrupt.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Guys, I have just accepted the Barony and I have built part of my new city, two days ago. From then on, I haven't played the game. This "kingdom management" part scares me. Can I do without destroying everything suddenly and forcing myself to restart?

No worries. Its really not that bad. Only thing you need to be keenly aware of is the series of "Ancient Curse" quests. When they trigger, you should be at your capital 14 days before the deadline and explore the cursed hilltop. Otherwise you'll be hit with some nasty effects...

And well, be aware of the timing in Chapter 3, those locations are quite far and some nasty things could happen while you're gone (developing Towns, building an Aviary in the East, as well as a network of Teleport Circles can help).

Litmanen

Educated

No worries. Its really not that bad. Only thing you need to be keenly aware of is the series of "Ancient Curse" quests. When they trigger, you should be at your capital 14 days before the deadline and explore the cursed hilltop. Otherwise you'll be hit with some nasty effects...

And well, be aware of the timing in Chapter 3, those locations are quite far and some nasty things could happen while you're gone (developing Towns, building an Aviary in the East, as well as a network of Teleport Circles can help).
Thank you!

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

There is one event that will SINK your kingdom and you won't be able to do anything about it. That's the one where thieves stole 500BP off you. You will only realise something is wrong when the event to try to recover the 500BP turns up, by which time, you're likely to already be running at a deficit for a while, so your kingdom's happiness had tanked. And unless you have enough gold to buy back that 500BP instantly, the happiness will continue to go down because even if you wait out the time for the event to complete, you don't get all of the 500BP back.

And that event is REPEATABLE.

Ancient Curse has nothing on that event.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't think I've ever seen it repeat. In fact, I don't remember being hit particularly hard by it.

Ancient Curse is a constant threat.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

There is one event that will SINK your kingdom and you won't be able to do anything about it. That's the one where thieves stole 500BP off you. You will only realise something is wrong when the event to try to recover the 500BP turns up, by which time, you're likely to already be running at a deficit for a while, so your kingdom's happiness had tanked. And unless you have enough gold to buy back that 500BP instantly, the happiness will continue to go down because even if you wait out the time for the event to complete, you don't get all of the 500BP back.

And that event is REPEATABLE.

Ancient Curse has nothing on that event.

You whiny little girls would lose your shit playing Candy Crush. If you played the rest of the game like this you’d never make it through the library while telling the whole world that Tartuccio’s Ring is unfairly weak.

God forbid a king maintain a(n) (interest-bearing) rainy day fund lest anything bad happen in a game called Kingmaker. Why are you like this?

Desiderius

Patron
Curse isn’t constant.

It happens once per Chapter on the same day each time.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I don't think I've ever seen it repeat. In fact, I don't remember being hit particularly hard by it.

Ancient Curse is a constant threat.
Ancient Curse tells you when it will happen. This one you wouldn't know until it had already happened. That is the whole problem with that stupid event.

Litmanen

Educated
Guys, I'm still in Act 2 and level 5. I'm almost at the moment were the first Ancient Curse event should trigger.

I have several questions:

1) I was trying to do Kelikke's quest: she is fucking weak. I can't use her for anything. With the crossbow she is weak. Melee better to avoid. Their "kineticist's" abilities are shit. I gave up her quest for better moments. Is it true she is weak or I am dumb? or both?

2) I have my party with me (Inquisitor) and my leopard, Amiri, Valerie, Octavia (1lv rogue 4 lv wizard), Regongar and Tristian. Is it balanced? I was thinking of giving away Regongar. He is really good (when he hits with is touch-range magic), but is normally also very weak and an easy target for enemies. Should I replace him with Jaethal (and then we'll be 2 Inquisitors)? Linzi is out of contest, I don't want her...

3) I've finally acquired the Outskirts and I should found a village in this new land, how can I do it?

4) Is it normal that, in this act, in the first 15 days, more or less, what I did was mostly acquiring resources and avoiding quest because wererats kill me, the Boggars in the caves were too much (but I can go back and finish them, maybe), Kelikke's quest was already "hard" from the beginning since it's actually just me and the Leopard against the frog (I don't know what it's inside the tower but nothing easier, for sure)?

5) Am I dumb/weak?

1) I was trying to do Kelikke's quest: she is fucking weak. I can't use her for anything. With the crossbow she is weak. Melee better to avoid. Their "kineticist's" abilities are shit. I gave up her quest for better moments. Is it true she is weak or I am dumb? or both?
The advantages of kineticist are: damage automatically scales with level, if you take the right attacks they'll target touch AC, they can choose various effects to try and apply to anything hit, and later they get AoEs to hit multiple things. They get really OP with the good AoEs but before then they are kind of meh (though great against things that are hard to hit due to targeting touch). They also need to be built in a specific way to acquire the good AoEs since they depend on specific element combinations.

2) I have my party with me (Inquisitor) and my leopard, Amiri, Valerie, Octavia (1lv rogue 4 lv wizard), Regongar and Tristian. Is it balanced? I was thinking of giving away Regongar. He is really good (when he hits with is touch-range magic), but is normally also very weak and an easy target for enemies. Should I replace him with Jaethal (and then we'll be 2 Inquisitors)? Linzi is out of contest, I don't want her...
Works fine. Linzi would probably be better though. When you find the gnome consider him. You've got a lot of melee focused characters and could use a bit of buffing support, Bard and Alchemist can both add some stuff.

4) Is it normal that, in this act, in the first 15 days, more or less, what I did was mostly acquiring resources and avoiding quest because wererats kill me, the Boggars in the caves were too much (but I can go back and finish them, maybe), Kelikke's quest was already "hard" from the beginning since it's actually just me and the Leopard against the frog (I don't know what it's inside the tower but nothing easier, for sure)?
Skipping wererats for a chapter is fine. There will be a number of optional encounters like this in the future that are generally best left till you can come back a few levels stronger. Boggars should be doable. I've managed it in the prologue with a level 4ish party I think, while you should be around level 7 after the prologue?

You are kind of wasting time a bit, consider spending some time in the kingdom management leveling up whatever. You should get some notification of the main quest happening and then you can set off to that and try to clear stuff along the way

Litmanen

Educated
First of all, thank you for all the answers/suggestions.

I've managed it in the prologue with a level 4ish party I think, while you should be around level 7 after the prologue?

You are kind of wasting time a bit, consider spending some time in the kingdom management leveling up whatever. You should get some notification of the main quest happening and then you can set off to that and try to clear stuff along the way
Actually, at the end of the prologue I was level 5 and I'm still level 5. In the meantime, I did some events and thing for the kingdom, yes. And Octavia failed one. Now I got the notification for the Ancient Curse quest and I headed there.
They get really OP with the good AoEs but before then they are kind of meh (though great against things that are hard to hit due to targeting touch).
Yeah, like the fucking nymph and the Doomspider dor the Ancient Curse quest. I hate them, for god's sake.
Works fine. Linzi would probably be better though. When you find the gnome consider him. You've got a lot of melee focused characters and could use a bit of buffing support, Bard and Alchemist can both add some stuff.
Yes, that's true. For now, I'm counting on the buffs Tristian can give to the group, but it's true that is not enough. The thing is that he is very useful. And Regongar can be powerful with his TrueStrike + touch attack. So I don't know who to give "away" to insert Linzi.

Yosharian

Arcane
First of all, thank you for all the answers/suggestions.

I've managed it in the prologue with a level 4ish party I think, while you should be around level 7 after the prologue?

Actually, at the end of the prologue I was level 5 and I'm still level 5. In the meantime, I did some events and thing for the kingdom, yes. And Octavia failed one. Now I got the notification for the Ancient Curse quest and I headed there.
They get really OP with the good AoEs but before then they are kind of meh (though great against things that are hard to hit due to targeting touch).
Yeah, like the fucking nymph and the Doomspider dor the Ancient Curse quest. I hate them, for god's sake.
Yes, that's true. For now, I'm counting on the buffs Tristian can give to the group, but it's true that is not enough. The thing is that he is very useful. And Regongar can be powerful with his TrueStrike + touch attack. So I don't know who to give "away" to insert Linzi.
Linzi carries the early game, both her spells such as Hideous Laughter and Cacophonous Call, and her song buffs, are very useful. Too bad her CHA is shit.

She'll fall off later but by then you'll be stronger anyway.

Get rid of the shitty underlevelled Wizard and give Linz a level in Fey Sorc for Mage Armour access and +2 spell DC.

Litmanen

Educated
Linzi carries the early game, both her spells such as Hideous Laughter and Cacophonous Call, and her song buffs, are very useful. Too bad her CHA is shit.

Get rid of the shitty underlevelled Wizard and give Linz a level in Fey Sorc for Mage Armour access and +2 spell DC.
Octavia has Hideous Laughter too but, yes, I was thinking about giving Linzi a second chance. It is also true that, at least, Octavia sometimes can be useful with the crossbow and Web spell. For the rest, she is quite "meh".

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Octavia has Hideous Laughter too but, yes, I was thinking about giving Linzi a second chance. It is also true that, at least, Octavia sometimes can be useful with the crossbow and Web spell. For the rest, she is quite "meh".
Wait till she gets to level 10 Arcane Trickster, when she will be doing her sneak attack damage to every spell that does damage.

Litmanen

Educated

Wait till she gets to level 10 Arcane Trickster, when she will be doing her sneak attack damage to every spell that does damage.
Linzi or Octavia?

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Linzi or Octavia?
Octavia

Yosharian

Arcane

Linzi or Octavia?
He's talking about Octavia.

Spells like Grease and Web get really good once you've got Free Movement on your melee characters to make them immune to the effects. Ditto for Stinking Cloud + Delay Poison Communal, which is a somewhat overpowered combo that works against almost everything in kingmaker.

Litmanen

Educated
Spells like Grease and Web get really good once you've got Free Movement on your melee characters to make them immune to the effects. Ditto for Stinking Cloud + Delay Poison Communal, which is a somewhat overpowered combo that works against almost everything in kingmaker.
That shows how poor strategical knowledge I have. I would never think of such combinations.

Anyway, now that I have also Jubilost, I must admit that he tempts me to replace Octavia in the party (siding in the backline with Tristian)

Desiderius

Patron
That shows how poor strategical knowledge I have. I would never think of such combinations.

Anyway, now that I have also Jubilost, I must admit that he tempts me to replace Octavia in the party (siding in the backline with Tristian)
They’re not that great. By the time you can ignore the effects yourself you’ve got better things to do than cast first level spells. Stinking Cloud (though keeping Delay Poison up at all times is a good idea) still requires beating a Fort Save.

Once you get the hang of buffing and debuffing effectively (and zerging in RTwP) fights don’t last long enough to make kiting + persistent effects good.

Litmanen

Educated

They’re not that great. By the time you can ignore the effects yourself you’ve got better things to do than cast first level spells. Stinking Cloud (though keeping Delay Poison up at all times is a good idea) still requires beating a Fort Save.

Once you get the hang of buffing and debuffing effectively (and zerging in RTwP) fights don’t last long enough to make kiting + persistent effects good.
Yeah, in the end I come back with a formation without Octavia but with Linzi. Honestly, her "Fascinate"+Cacophonus Call are godsend against the groups of Troll (I'm dealing with the attack at Bartholomew Delgado's house.

Now I'm level 6th, heading towards the 7th, and the group is more balanced between damage dealers (Amiri with Enlarge Person+Rage, Regongar, the leopard, Valerie when she hits...) and people who try to heal or filter big group of enemies (Tristian, Linzi and me). Some fights are still a pain in the ass (fucking trolls...) and I have to reload more than 2/3 times... but yet...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom