Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Other Codex PoE-fans I think:

Rivmusique
Sizzle
IHaveHugeNick
Maybe AwesomeButton?

Also Haplo you need to be online on Steam more. I still haven't started my Elminage playthrough due to party creation paralysis and I keep looking for you when I'm making one :'(
I'm a fan. I wrote arguably the most positive review of the game and was mobbed by angry grognards because I wasn't "specific enough" which means I didn't write an encyclopedia. But I stuck to my guns and stand by my review; if anything, I've grown more fond of the game in the intervening years.

Man I just went back and read that thread and holy shit. People were steamed at my review.
I had no memory of you writing a review. Skimming over it and the responses, I can see why.

Not quite sure what this means.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Rivmusique
Sizzle
IHaveHugeNick
Maybe AwesomeButton?

Also Haplo you need to be online on Steam more. I still haven't started my Elminage playthrough due to party creation paralysis and I keep looking for you when I'm making one :'(
I'm a fan. I wrote arguably the most positive review of the game and was mobbed by angry grognards because I wasn't "specific enough" which means I didn't write an encyclopedia. But I stuck to my guns and stand by my review; if anything, I've grown more fond of the game in the intervening years.

Man I just went back and read that thread and holy shit. People were steamed at my review.
I had no memory of you writing a review. Skimming over it and the responses, I can see why.

It wasn't a review shitting on the game and considering how entrenched the camps were at that time (esp. on the heels of the "neutral-positive" affair) nothing jumps out at me that would remotely have encouraged those people to reconsider their opinion (not that I think such a thing were even possible) or be favorable to a second take.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
With Deadfire, I always end building intentionally very suboptimal builds to get enjoyment out of the main game, but then Megabosses feel completely undoable.

Well I'd argue that's a good thing, it keeps things interesting if anything. Builds that smash through the game aren't necessarily the best thing for megabosses.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

Rivmusique
Sizzle
IHaveHugeNick
Maybe AwesomeButton?

It wasn't a review shitting on the game and considering how entrenched the camps were at that time (esp. on the heels of the "neutral-positive" affair) nothing jumps out at me that would remotely have encouraged those people to reconsider their opinion (not that I think such a thing were even possible) or be favorable to a second take.

Ah, yes I see. I agree. I was kind of a dummy for even attempting the review, tbh. Looking back it was a self-inflicted headache. The game was too polarizing which, having just typed that, is fucking ridiculous. Pillars of Eternity -- Josh Sawyer's conlang vehicle slash balance simulator -- is polarizing? Uhh, I guess so!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Don't understand why you're sad. I am very disappointed my review did not illicit the same butthurt. But that's what you get for being tl;dr

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I am a critique of PoE but it's still an actual cRPG at the end of the day, there are too many people here who only seem to play Dark Souls as a RPG (lol) and then act as if they are supposed to have good taste for not having played PoE.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So despite being a Deadfire backer, I've still never played it beyond the opening beach because I want to finish WM1&2 first, but I can't play WM1&2 because POE bores me to tears before I ever make it there.

That being said, I actually liked POE a fair bit when it came out. There are a few interesting things in the plot like babies being born without souls and trying to figure out why. The issue is that I beat it a few times (I don't remember how many, like 3-4 I think) including on POTD and a solo run, plus however many abortive attempts messing around with different characters. And all of that was before WM ever came out, so now that I try to go back to it, I'm pretty over it. On top of that, I think the game aged poorly in the sense of, at the time it came out, everyone was hyped (or not) because we didn't really have a game in this style for years. Since then, there've been a number of varying quality, so it doesn't have the benefit of a monopoly any longer.

Anyway, part of my new year's resolution is to try and start chipping away at my backlog, so maybe I'll actually put WM1&2 + Deadfire in the bag this year.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So despite being a Deadfire backer, I've still never played it beyond the opening beach because I want to finish WM1&2 first, but I can't play WM1&2 because POE bores me to tears before I ever make it there.

That being said, I actually liked POE a fair bit when it came out. There are a few interesting things in the plot like babies being born without souls and trying to figure out why. The issue is that I beat it a few times (I don't remember how many, like 3-4 I think) including on POTD and a solo run, plus however many abortive attempts messing around with different characters. And all of that was before WM ever came out, so now that I try to go back to it, I'm pretty over it. On top of that, I think the game aged poorly in the sense of, at the time it came out, everyone was hyped (or not) because we didn't really have a game in this style for years. Since then, there've been a number of varying quality, so it doesn't have the benefit of a monopoly any longer.

Anyway, part of my new year's resolution is to try and start chipping away at my backlog, so maybe I'll actually put WM1&2 + Deadfire in the bag this year.

Well, you only need to be like level 7 (maybe even 6 minimum, but would be rough) to do WM1. Should happen early and give you a taste. And its actually more enjoyable if you tackle it early.

dacencora

Everything is a fucking """""action-RPG""""" these days.
But Dark Souls has stats and character building and lots of exploration. Seems dumb to dismiss it as a non-RPG, when it is clearly an action-RPG.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
WM1 + WM2 are pretty good additions, that should've been a standalone adventure that you could start with a custom party. Their story can stand on its own 2 legs.

As it stands however, it feels like they overpower you too much (both in XP and ridiculously strong items) for the rest of the game, no matter how much you delay playing them.

Last edited:

TedNugent

Arcane
WM1 + WM2 are pretty good additions, that should've been a standalone adventure that you could start with a custom party. Their story can stand on its own 2 legs.

As it stands however, it feels like they overpower you too much (both in XP and ridiculously strong items) for the rest of the game, no matter how much you delay playing them.
I waited until Act 3 and even on high level mode, everything except for the bounties has been pretty trivial, but I'm playing on hard mode.

Sort of makes me sad, I probably would have enjoyed it more.

The other shitty thing is, increasing the level cap to 16 makes the rest of the game fairly trivial. I was really enjoying some challenging encounters up until around level 11-12, and even then at least the dragons were fun.

Either high level mode isn't tuned properly, or the level cap is just excessive considering the power level of the gear. Mostly, I actually think the bonuses granted by food and resting are excessive, as you can easily get +8 attributes on every party member for a trivial amount of CP for every encounter if you so desired. Add potions and some priest spells and it really is ott.

I doubt the final dungeon or even Craigholdt are going to be challenging since I'm already at 16 with all characters and have been comfortably above 16 since before Durgan's Battery.

Kinda starting to regret not doing potd, but a lot of the dungeons at the start of the game seemed pretty stout, especially Od Nua and Temple of Eothas.

This soulbind bullshit is also taking it to next level. I wish they hadn't bothered. Gigantic chores for broken gear with overturned affixes. The unique items were enough even without Durgan.

Hence why I actually don't like White March. I think the game would probably be a lot better had I completed it without the expansions installed. It added way too much bullshit without being true endgame content like it should have been to justify the power level increase, then I show up at level 10 and it tells me I'm too high of a level - what? Then why increase the fucking level cap?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
He's too far gone for that to make a difference. PotD is best until lvl 9-10. It too gets ridiculously easy after that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
TedNugent The game is designed for PotD. It’s not very satisfying on other difficulties.

Lacrymas That’s hyperbole. It gets easier after that sure but you still have plenty encounters left where PotD makes a massive difference. Magran’s Faithful is up there with the hardest/best encounters in the game, just one example. Monk boss fight in WM is another.

TedNugent

Arcane
TedNugent The game is designed for PotD. It’s not very satisfying on other difficulties.

Lacrymas That’s hyperbole. It gets easier after that sure but you still have plenty encounters left where PotD makes a massive difference. Magran’s Faithful is up there with the hardest/best encounters in the game, just one example. Monk boss fight in WM is another.
As the other dude said, it's probably too late for me for that - how is PotD in Deadfire?

I can't stomach a second playthrough of this game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Deadfire’s biggest issue is that it is generally too easy after the beginning. Way more so than PoE1. Except for megabosses, which can be very hard (and are always optional).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Bullshit. I provided two concrete examples of the opposite, I could provide many more. It’s way less impactful in the main game, but most of the game’s best and hardest PotD encounters occur post level 10.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
OTOH Deadfire beginning on PoTD is absolutely brutal, without the Berath's cheats or mercenaries.

I thought you can go up to PotD on the fly, only not allowed to go back from PotD to lower?

Even if it's greyed out (don't think so, agree with you) you can change to PotD using the console. Also works for triggering the high-level scaling if you opted out of it iniitally.

As the other dude said, it's probably too late for me for that - how is PotD in Deadfire?

I can't stomach a second playthrough of this game.

Just change to PotD, you won't regret it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom