Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rate Baizuo's Gate 3 from 0 to 10, where 0 is the worst game of your live and 10, the best.

Score, one to 10.

• Total voters

Froila

Educated
nwn2 uses a better ruleset, doesn't have woke insanity, allow me to play even in epic levels, allows me to create and build my own personal fortress, has much more classes and subclasses, modding is much easier and most important. No ASTARION!!!
nwn2 uses a better ruleset - questionable
doesn't have woke insanity - irrelevant
allow me to play even in epic levels - doesn't matter
allows me to create and build my own personal fortress - and that fortress was quite miserable
has much more classes and subclasses - like harper agent
modding is much easier - nwn has much better modding tools
No ASTARION - nwn2 has so many annoying and poorly developed charcters.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
nwn2 uses a better ruleset, doesn't have woke insanity, allow me to play even in epic levels, allows me to create and build my own personal fortress, has much more classes and subclasses, modding is much easier and most important. No ASTARION!!!
allows me to create and build my own personal fortress - and that fortress was quite miserable
lol whose alt are you

Froila

Educated
lol whose alt are you
Your daddy

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
lol whose alt are you
Your daddy
Weird, that's always the response from alts

Froila

Educated
lol whose alt are you
Your daddy
Weird, that's always the response from alts
maybe it's because you have too many dads?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What's sadder:
  • not playing a good game you'd enjoy, because da libs xD like it
  • not playing a good game you'd enjoy, because pink hairs developed it
  • not playing a good game you'd enjoy, because there's a blax folx on the cover
  • not playing a good game you'd enjoy, because chinese money paid for development

Froila

Educated
What's sadder:
  • not playing a good game you'd enjoy, because chinese money paid for development
I think it's religious or something.
  • not eating pork chops, because it's haram.
  • not drinking beer, because it's haram.
  • all women must wear garbage bag and ninja mask, because prophet said so.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What's sadder:

I know what is happier :
  • Paying for a good game you'd enjoy, and paying in ARGENTINE PESOS!!!
Sadly Steam no longer accepts this shitcoin

LOL, you put questionable the fact that 3.5e > 5e and that woke insanity is a problem in BG3 and want to be taken seriously. About crossroad keep, I liked building it. About modding, nwn1 has a lot of hard codded stuff. I can easily open the "source" of any spell and use it to create my own custom spells in nwn2. This is impossible to do in nwn1(sadly). About the characters in nwn2, even the worst nwn2 still much better than Astarion.

Froila

Educated
the fact that 3.5e > 5e
that's an opinion (and i may agree with it), but it's not a fact.

woke insanity is a problem
it's a current day's fad, nothing more. Actually FR is quite degenerate in that department, and always has been.

I can easily open the "source" of any spell and use it to create my own custom spells in nwn2. This is impossible to do in nwn1(sadly).
the main reason of modding tools in such games is to create new adventures. and methinks it's was intentional, larian didn't make a proper modding tool for bg3.

Ryan muller

Educated
Can anyone bring a con of BG3 aside from being woke or using DnD 5E Ruleset?

Damn you are only making me think the game is actually that good if thats all you all can bring to the table in every single discussion regarding it

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

This are the two major problems but you can use illithid powers consequence free. IMO they should be very dangerous to use.

is to create new adventures

I don't think so. Be able to create your own custom classes, feats, spells and etc would improve a lot NWN1. Anyone who can code C++ in "junior" level can do it in nwn2.

Ryan muller

Educated
This are the two major problems
Point 1 is mostly irrelevant if the dialogues arent cringe

Point 2 seems mostly expected, i would guess dual classing is a bit dull and Concentration system dumb down pre buffing then

If thats the two main problems i will probably agree with people claiming this game is in fact the best out of the trilogy.

DoWhocares

Novice

Damn you are only making me think the game is actually that good if thats all you all can bring to the table in every single discussion regarding it
How about horrid, barely usable UI (that for some reason barely gets mentioned), Larian's incessant obsession with elemental surfaces that makes half the fights twice as tedious than they need to be, act 3 being an unfinished bug riddled mess that can rival any Owlcat game out there, enemy AI that takes forever to pass turn and battles with up to 20 enemies all wasting your time (only happened to me in act 3, a guy I know had to deal with it since the start), idiotic itemization of the "during a blue moon against enemies with just one testicle who are currently on fire deal +5% damage" kind, not a single interesting companion without an offputting personality or at least a decent personal quest, fake C&C where for example it doesn't matter what you do in act 1 with the hag since act 3 plays out exactly the same apart from flavor text, main quest that will do anything to make you play a certain way and play along with the idiotic and clearly obvious ilithid ruse re: dream visitor, and even aside from that the story having a schizophrenic feeling of like three games squeezed into one where nothing gets a chance to breathe and you're just moving from one button=awesome scene to the next.

The list can go on and on. Oh, and yes, it's also woke and gay on top of that. A complete package.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Not all lists have a search function, and they can get very long.
It isn't always obvious if a ranged attack will reach its intended destination or be blocked by an obstacle.
It isn't always trivial to jump over terrain, and you sometimes have to select a left-behind character, to manually move them, which makes them the leder, so the others move back to where they are, etc annoyances.
The changes to haste and extra attacks, and the abundance of magic items, and the level cap, make martial classes too strong compared to what you'd expect.
Act I is clearly leftover from a previous version of the pot, and its conflicts are dropped half-resolved, and some of its mechanics (like camp food and weapon crafting) are basically abandoned.
Act III has too many scripts in too small a space, which leads to you joining on some quests not through their usual entrance points, and being left confused as to what's going on.
A choice was made to have a Warlock companion (selfish class meant for the player), but no Bard companion (party class perfect for an NPC compaion).
Some companions have good side quests where a meaningful choice produces both narrative and mechanical changes to them (Astarion, Shadowheart), but others don't.
Being able to respec everyone at any time, including characters for whom their class is part of their narrative identity, is dumb and should've been a first party mod released later, to promote modding and replaying, not a day 1 core inclusion.
Constant patches are great, but constantly breaking mods is not great. I abandoned a modded class playthrough, because a patch broke it.
If you play the game how you'd play other cRPGs, you will enter Act III already very rich and very powerful, and will hit the cap halway through the last, longest act of the game.

None of these are gamebreakers for me. I like BG3 overall, and it will be remembered as a good entry into the genre, that hopefully revives it at a time when Bioware and Obsidian are doing action games instead. A lot of the people complaining are just serial whiners.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
the fact that 3.5e > 5e
that's an opinion (and i may agree with it), but it's not a fact.

woke insanity is a problem
it's a current day's fad, nothing more. Actually FR is quite degenerate in that department, and always has been.

I can easily open the "source" of any spell and use it to create my own custom spells in nwn2. This is impossible to do in nwn1(sadly).
the main reason of modding tools in such games is to create new adventures. and methinks it's was intentional, larian didn't make a proper modding tool for bg3.
so you want people to tell you why they think something is shit but exclude any factors that you deem subjective to do so?

You are wasting everyones time here.

Non of the things you deem irrelevant or questionable, in fact are. They are all valid concerns on which users deem how they like something.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
not playing a good game you'd enjoy, because pink hairs developed it

pink hairs cannot make good games
Only if you define "good game" as a game not made by people whom I disagree with on policy. Which is not how you should be defining it, and you are silly.
He was obviously exaggerating, what he said is that nobody that wears his politics on his sleeves will make a game that is not drowned in these politics instead of concentrating making a good game.

And he is right.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
He was obviously exaggerating
Is he? He says that every time, and pre-judges games based on the twitter output of developers working on them. As does half of the volume of posters on this forum, btw.
Its only a joke and an exaggeration if it gets questioned. If I am not in the room to ask, its not a joke. Its genuine, and its what many believe and how they act. Very silly.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
He was obviously exaggerating
Is he? He says that every time, and pre-judges games based on the twitter output of developers working on them. As does half of the volume of posters on this forum, btw.
Its only a joke and an exaggeration if it gets questioned. If I am not in the room to ask, its not a joke. Its genuine, and its what many believe and how they act. Very silly.

The Pink hair was an exaggeration, not everyone wearing pink her is a woke idiot, only most are. "The twitter Output" of a "developer" is more than reasonable to Judge a person on, when for example it features, neo-pronouns or they are crying about the male gaze or some shit.

Believe me, nobody, with any sense will defend wokesters, in the industry or elsewhere when it is clear they are. That is certainly not a joking matter, if you are here or not.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The Pink hair was an exaggeration, not everyone wearing pink her is a woke idiot, only most are. "The twitter Output" of a "developer" is more than reasonable to Judge a person on, when for example it features, neo-pronouns or they are crying about the male gaze or some shit.
Josh Sawyer and Chris Avellone have:
1. Made good games.
2. Had SJW cringe on their social media.
These two things can happen at the same time.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Josh Sawyer and Chris Avellone have:
1. Made good games.
2. Had SJW cringe on their social media.
These two things can happen at the same time.
And how do these two people correlate to my statement exactly?

thesecret1

Arcane
If you want criticism, I found the story exceedingly boring and dropped my playthrough before Act 1 finale. None of the characters I've met were likeable or particularly interesting, meaning the game kept asking me to decide the fates of people I just wasn't interested in. How do I resolve the conflict between the tieflings and the druids? I just don't care. The fact the FR setting is terrible didn't help either - the more you learn about the world the stupider and more banal it seems.

lvl 2 Blue Slime

Educated
I've played it twice, once as a good character and once as evil, but I'd never play it a third time. Though I have to admit Larian bringing turn-based, party-based CRPGs into the mainstream can only be a good thing.

I haven't finished it yet, but I'm probably quite close to the final of Act 3 (90 hours in).

I would rate it 8/10, which is far better than I expected. I expected that I'd hate it based on the marketing and the hype around it...but it's surprisingly good. The main issues are mostly connected to the writing. Romances feel forced and atmosphere-breaking. For example: Gale just told me that he had a love affair with a female goddess just to confess his love to my male character one long rest later...? Halsin also confesses his love even though I barely talk to him and let him rot in the camp? Why? This feels so stupid. If you make all companions playersexual at least disable all flirting until the player makes the first step.
I also dislike other parts of writing, for example that most bad guys are either jokes (Goblins) or so comically evil that joining them is not really attractive if you're not doing a psychopath playthrough. It's also getting repetitive that almost all quests end with a decision between big drama and bigger drama. I get that "morally grey" stuff is the way to go in modern fantasy writing but I feel not everything has to end in a tragedy.

But overall the game is good. Feels often very similar to DOS2 which I would rate 7,5/10. I think I like BG3 a bit better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom