Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rate Baizuo's Gate 3 from 0 to 10, where 0 is the worst game of your live and 10, the best.

Score, one to 10.

• Total voters

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The Pink hair was an exaggeration, not everyone wearing pink her is a woke idiot, only most are. "The twitter Output" of a "developer" is more than reasonable to Judge a person on, when for example it features, neo-pronouns or they are crying about the male gaze or some shit.
Josh Sawyer and Chris Avellone have:
1. Made good games.
2. Had SJW cringe on their social media.
These two things can happen at the same time.
And how do these two people correlate to my statement exactly?
These are good developers posting about male gaze and shit. You can't actually accurately judge their gamedev output by looking at their Twitter output.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
idiotic itemization of the "during a blue moon against enemies with just one testicle who are currently on fire deal +5% damage" kind,
Found someone who didn't in fact play the game.

Itemization in BG3 can be criticized, sure. However certainly not for be inconsequential.
If anything, it can be criticized for being over the top OP, overly abundant and available too early.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

LOL, you put questionable the fact that 3.5e > 5e

Very questionable. 5e finally got rid of the sick prebuff bloat. Good riddance. Also thank god we don't have the epic stuff. Shit's too OP as is.
Multiclassing is indeed easier/better in 3.5. Also there are more classes and feats. However shall we measure the quality of a game systems how potent multiclassing is? And how complex are its systems and how many hundreads of pages of manuals you need to read to be a good builder?

Last but not least, Larian's game engine is a much better fit for the DnD ruleset, resulting in far superior gameplay, regardless if we speak about 3.5 or 5th ed.

NWN2 is 5/10 (MotB as a stanalone maybe 2 points better... but it does have the sick epic level issue and very sub-par game engine), meanwhile BG3 is an easy 8/10, only brought down by the disjointed/patchwork story, sometimes cringy dialogues and not so great NPCs. And some questionable balance decisions, like too strong itemization, Haste/Bloodlust effect on number of attacks, Arcane Acuity effect.

DoWhocares

Novice
idiotic itemization of the "during a blue moon against enemies with just one testicle who are currently on fire deal +5% damage" kind,

Itemization in BG3 can be criticized, sure. However certainly not for be inconsequential.
If anything, it can be criticized for being over the top OP, overly abundant and available too early.
Never called it inconsequential, did I? The word is idiotic. The more accurate and gotcha autism-proof word would be conditional. Everything has a million conditions attached to it, with entire item sets built around shit like radiance, reverberation, arcane surge or whatever the fuck. Not only does that have nothing to do with D&D, whatever edition, it's annoying to keep track off, useless on your first playthrough where you don't know what even exists and will end up being useful, and above all else downright unfun. I want gear that works for me, not gear I have to jump through hoops for to have it do anything.

Sneak edit: nevermind. You're somone who claims 5E>3.5E. Any attempt at reasoning is useless with someone like that.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Never called it inconsequential, did I? The word is idiotic. The more accurate and gotcha autism-proof word would be conditional. Everything has a million conditions attached to it, with entire item sets built around shit like radiance, reverberation, arcane surge or whatever the fuck. Not only does that have nothing to do with D&D, whatever edition, it's annoying to keep track off, useless on your first playthrough where you don't know what even exists and will end up being useful, and above all else downright unfun. I want gear that works for me, not gear I have to jump through hoops for to have it do anything.

Sneak edit: nevermind. You're somone who claims 5E>3.5E. Any attempt at reasoning is useless with someone like that.
Useless on first playtrough? If you explore somewhat thouroughly you have several Reverbation and Radiance items already in Act 1. With all available in the beginning of Act 2. Arcane Synergy is Act 1 too.
Arcane Acuity is admittedly a bit easier to miss in Act 2. perhaps for the better, as that shit's seriously OP. Guess the piercing vulnerability aura armor or bonus action cast ring can be missed easily in Act 3 on a blind playtrough... but that's also likely for the best.

And its really no rocket science to take advantage of effects like Radiance, Reverbation or Arcane Acuity / Synergy.

DoWhocares

Novice

Useless on first playtrough? If you explore somewhat thouroughly you have several Reverbation and Radiance items already in Act 1. With all available in the beginning of Act 2. Arcane Synergy is Act 1 too.
Arcane Acuity is admittedly a bit easier to miss in Act 2.. perhaps for the better, as that shit's seriously OP. Guess the piercing vulnerability aura armor may be missed easily in Act 3... but that's also likely for the best.
And its really no rocket science to take advantage of those effects.
To take advantge of them you first need to be aware there's anything to take advantage of. When your choice is item that helps you do more damage, be it by adding a flat damage bonus or giving an attribute boost, or some thing that may or may not work some of the time, the second item gets sold the moment you get back into town. Even if it doesn't by some miracle, upon finding more items enabling a certain effect, you have to remember that 20 horus earlier you already found an item with the same effect, and then comes the fun part of trying to sift through the abomination that is the inventory screen in this game where everything looks the god damn same, scrolling is fiddly as hell, there's a million trash items, and so on and so forth.

And because none of that exists in D&D in the first place, you can't even see an effect, know it's good because you're familiar with it, and hunt for items that enable it. Which brings us back to the whole, "this isn't BG3, it's actually D:OS3" thing, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Arcane Acuity is admittedly a bit easier to miss in Act 2.. perhaps for the better, as that shit's seriously OP. Guess the piercing vulnerability aura armor may be missed easily in Act 3... but that's also likely for the best.
To take advantge of them you first need to be aware there's anything to take advantage of. When your choice is item that helps you do more damage, be it by adding a flat damage bonus or giving an attribute boost, or some thing that may or may not work some of the time, the second item gets sold the moment you get back into town.

Again, I don't want to question your mental faculties, but its not exactly rocket science how potent some of those effects are. Reverbation might be dubious, because it has a save - and a low one at that (though comes with its own debuff and you can possibly impose Disadvantage), but Radiance? Arcane Acuity? Arcane Synergy? Snowburst Ring? What's not to understand here?

DoWhocares

Novice

To take advantge of them you first need to be aware there's anything to take advantage of. When your choice is item that helps you do more damage, be it by adding a flat damage bonus or giving an attribute boost, or some thing that may or may not work some of the time, the second item gets sold the moment you get back into town.

Again, I don't want to question your mental faculties, but its not exactly rocket science how potent some of those effects are. Reverbation might be dubious, because it has a save - and a low one at that (though comes with its own debuff and you can possibly impose Disadvantage), but Radiance? Arcane Acuity? Arcane Synergy? Snowburst Ring? What's not to understand here?
Jesus Christ, it's like talking to a wall. No, it's not hard to understand. The issue is that jumping through hoops and building your character to benefit from a set of items (you don't even know exists when starting the game) is not fun and opposite to what D&D gearing should be. It's convoluted, overdesigned MMO shit. And when it's not that, it's a pair of green-uncommon gloves (because in another genius move Larian now introduced WOW-style gear rarities to their supposedly D&D game) that just gives your entire team 50% resistance to physical damage (if memory serves me well you activate it by healing or blessing or something, but it's super easy to have on all the time). And the point is - none of that has anything to do with D&D. It's on the opposite end of Sawyer's spectrum of +5% damage blunderbus, but it's equally as unenjoyable to play with.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Jesus Christ, it's like talking to a wall. No, it's not hard to understand. The issue is that jumping through hoops and building your character to benefit from a set of items (you don't even know exists when starting the game) is not fun and opposite to what D&D gearing should be. It's convoluted, overdesigned MMO shit. And when it's not that, it's a pair of green-uncommon gloves (because in another genius move Larian now introduced WOW-style gear rarities to their supposedly D&D game) that just gives your entire team 50% resistance to physical damage (if memory serves me well you activate it by healing or blessing or something, but it's super easy to have on all the time). And the point is - none of that has anything to do with D&D. It's on the opposite end of Sawyer's spectrum of +5% damage blunderbus, but it's equally as unenjoyable to play with.

I don't understand what you mean.
You don't need any "hoops" to take advantage. Perfectly normal characters can benefit from such items.

DoWhocares

Novice

I don't understand what you mean.
You don't need any "hoops" to take advantage. Perfectly normal characters can benefit from such items.
In short: conditional items that only work some time under specific circumstances are not fun.

It's basically you working for the items instead of the items working for you. It sucks the fun out of gearing a character, and it's a major kick in the nuts to go through a dungeon and be rewarded with one of those, instead of something solid and reliable.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
In short: conditional items that only work some time under specific circumstances are not fun.

It's basically you working for the items instead of the items working for you. It sucks the fun out of gearing a character, and it's a major kick in the nuts to go through a dungeon and be rewarded with one of those, instead of something solid and reliable.
There's a place for both consistent and conditional items/bonuses in a game. The consistent ones should be of modest value, and the conditional ones should be of considerable value. It creates a kind of risk/reward decision. Do you try to play around the conditional bonus, knowing that it's not as reliable, in order to get the greater bonuses?

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The Pink hair was an exaggeration, not everyone wearing pink her is a woke idiot, only most are. "The twitter Output" of a "developer" is more than reasonable to Judge a person on, when for example it features, neo-pronouns or they are crying about the male gaze or some shit.
Josh Sawyer and Chris Avellone have:
1. Made good games.
2. Had SJW cringe on their social media.
These two things can happen at the same time.
And how do these two people correlate to my statement exactly?
These are good developers posting about male gaze and shit. You can't actually accurately judge their gamedev output by looking at their Twitter output.
The woker a person, the shittier his output as it limits creativity to adhere to Identity based ideology.

I just wanted to understand if you want to argue, like many folks who are woke and pretend not to be, that anything that would call themselves "liberal", "left-leaning" or "progressive" is woke.

The work of sawyer have massively declined and when it comes to Avellone the question first becomes "which work" at this point and how it relates to him, his political views and what he had to endure due to the false allegations. I would not call him woke, especially compared to Sawyer.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
sick prebuff bloat.

But by doing so, they had to NERF enemy abilities. Compare dealing with intellect devourer in nwn1 with in bg3. Compare being poisoned in AD&D 2e with in 5e. And the "prebuff" could be solved if enemies had good AI and used dispel magic, great dispel magic and disjunction at low/mid/high level.

Ryan muller

Educated
Can anyone bring a con of BG3 aside from being woke or using DnD 5E Ruleset?

Damn you are only making me think the game is actually that good if thats all you all can bring to the table in every single discussion regarding it
How about horrid, barely usable UI (that for some reason barely gets mentioned), Larian's incessant obsession with elemental surfaces that makes half the fights twice as tedious than they need to be, act 3 being an unfinished bug riddled mess that can rival any Owlcat game out there, enemy AI that takes forever to pass turn and battles with up to 20 enemies all wasting your time (only happened to me in act 3, a guy I know had to deal with it since the start), idiotic itemization of the "during a blue moon against enemies with just one testicle who are currently on fire deal +5% damage" kind, not a single interesting companion without an offputting personality or at least a decent personal quest, fake C&C where for example it doesn't matter what you do in act 1 with the hag since act 3 plays out exactly the same apart from flavor text, main quest that will do anything to make you play a certain way and play along with the idiotic and clearly obvious ilithid ruse re: dream visitor, and even aside from that the story having a schizophrenic feeling of like three games squeezed into one where nothing gets a chance to breathe and you're just moving from one button=awesome scene to the next.

The list can go on and on. Oh, and yes, it's also woke and gay on top of that. A complete package.
That seems more like it. Whats wrong with the U.I tho? It seemed okay in gameplay videos

Ryan muller

Educated
The woker a person, the shittier his output as it limits creativity to adhere to Identity based ideology.
Y all are really whinny y know?

Glad atleast i got some useful info about the game tho, as it was i thought the only criticism this received at the point was being woke and using 5e, which is ridiculously low since my list of criticism for BG1 for example, could fit two entire pages

Beans00

Erudite
Sorry, I don't rate games that didn't finish in the top 1 for codex GOTY.

I will happily rate JA3, however.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Y all are really whinny y know?

Glad atleast i got some useful info about the game tho, as it was i thought the only criticism this received at the point was being woke and using 5e, which is ridiculously low since my list of criticism for BG1 for example, could fit two entire pages
There is loads of reasons to critique for the game, if you were to read the GOTY thread you could read a lot of the points that are not only "being woke" and "DND5" even from me.

That said, writing how you write, it seems to me as if you just want to confirm your bias, for whatever reason. The game has mainstream appeal and has been extremely well received by the casual audience and even the Grognards here despite the woke shit in it. At least here people were actually willing to point out that the game is not a 10/10 and has earned to be placed behind JA3, which is a great but also not flawless game.

I ended the game in the beginning of act 3, because I was max level shortly after arriving in it and being bored to shit.

DoWhocares

Novice
Can anyone bring a con of BG3 aside from being woke or using DnD 5E Ruleset?

Damn you are only making me think the game is actually that good if thats all you all can bring to the table in every single discussion regarding it
How about horrid, barely usable UI (that for some reason barely gets mentioned), Larian's incessant obsession with elemental surfaces that makes half the fights twice as tedious than they need to be, act 3 being an unfinished bug riddled mess that can rival any Owlcat game out there, enemy AI that takes forever to pass turn and battles with up to 20 enemies all wasting your time (only happened to me in act 3, a guy I know had to deal with it since the start), idiotic itemization of the "during a blue moon against enemies with just one testicle who are currently on fire deal +5% damage" kind, not a single interesting companion without an offputting personality or at least a decent personal quest, fake C&C where for example it doesn't matter what you do in act 1 with the hag since act 3 plays out exactly the same apart from flavor text, main quest that will do anything to make you play a certain way and play along with the idiotic and clearly obvious ilithid ruse re: dream visitor, and even aside from that the story having a schizophrenic feeling of like three games squeezed into one where nothing gets a chance to breathe and you're just moving from one button=awesome scene to the next.

The list can go on and on. Oh, and yes, it's also woke and gay on top of that. A complete package.
That seems more like it. Whats wrong with the U.I tho? It seemed okay in gameplay videos
I don't remember the guy's name, but there's a dude around these parts who coined the term toilet chain for the control scheme where you can't just control your party by dragging a box around it RTS-style. Instead you have all characters linked by a chain and you can separate them at will by dragging their portraits around. But this is a) incredibly clunky b) adds needless clicking c) makes positioning and scouting an abosulte chore. And as a side effect of it, when exploring, you often have to cross gaps with these ridiculous anime jumps the game loves so much. Only they are governed by STR, a stat like 3/4 companions have 8 of. So with the chain, you'll jump somewhere, then realize half your team got stuck across the gap, then you have to go back, cast the jump spell and then ferry them all across one by one. Only because of the chain again, they don't sit still and keep moving and messing up your jumping off points. So you have to unlink them all, jump, then link back again. It's just a needless hassle.

Then the hotbar is a mess too, because it just gets flooded with all the shit you pick up, there are easy to miss tabs hiding abilities you really don't want hidden, a tab dedicated to passive!!! abilities that are actually anything but passive but are active toggles, and if you try to introduce some order to it all by carefully arranging the sections of the UI (which is already a ridiculous ask), when you get new active abilities or items that you have to add there, and have to rearrange it, you drag the section dividers (again - what the actual fuck), and it messes up all your ability positioning and just randomly rearranges it. And you have to do it for every character individually.

Then inventory is a mess too. First it has that whole one cell-one item system popular these days. But then the sorting options are severly lacking, they never save, and if you take an item out and move it somewhere or say use a consumable, it becomes a gap in the inventory. Which a) means that whatever sorting option you had setup defaults to no sorting b) there's now a gap in your inventory that spans pages upon pages of garbage, and when you pick up something new it will go in that gap that you don't know where it even is. And because everything is a tiny same size square, good luck spotting it.

Then there's also the character sheet that gives you incomplete information. Iirc you can only see a complete list of your abilities/status effects on the level up screen. There were more things that pissed me off about the UI, but it's been a while since my playthrough so I'm sure I'm missing some now.

Ryan muller

Educated
That said, writing how you write, it seems to me as if you just want to confirm your bias, for whatever reason. The game has mainstream appeal and has been extremely well received by the casual audience and even the Grognards here despite the woke shit in it. At least here people were actually willing to point out that the game is not a 10/10 and has earned to be placed behind JA3, which is a great but also not flawless game.
I have no bias since i never played it.

I just find the woke complains about every fucking piece of media extremely repetitive and whinny

Theres not a single thread in the whole internet you can say something without saying "woke" on the same text? Godamn parrots

Froila

Educated
is to create new adventures

I don't think so. Be able to create your own custom classes, feats, spells and etc would improve a lot NWN1. Anyone who can code C++ in "junior" level can do it in nwn2.
While I understand this mindset - to appreciate the system for the ability to build different characters with different skills in several different ways - this is not the only way to use the role-playing system.

This mindset is the reason why D&D 3.x is so popular with some people as well as bloated Owlcat's games with - toying with systems to build one's own CoDzilla is a fun in itself.

But you actually need come situation to test you builds and abilities. And constructing such situations is a completely different kind of entertainment. More complex and interesting I'd say.

It's like the difference between composing new chess problems vs. inventing new chess pieces.

Froila

Educated
so you want people to tell you why they think something is shit but exclude any factors that you deem subjective to do so?

You are wasting everyones time here.

Non of the things you deem irrelevant or questionable, in fact are. They are all valid concerns on which users deem how they like something.
They just whine because that's the tradition of this forum - to whine about games.

Ryan muller

Educated
so you want people to tell you why they think something is shit but exclude any factors that you deem subjective to do so?

Non of the things you deem irrelevant or questionable, in fact are. They are all valid concerns on which users deem how they like something.
They just whine because that's the tradition of this forum - to whine about games.
It shows

Froila

Educated

Froila

Educated

It shows
It's amazing how some RPG-connoisseurs can't appreciate good thing even when it punch them in the face.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom