Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rate Baizuo's Gate 3 from 0 to 10, where 0 is the worst game of your live and 10, the best.

Score, one to 10.

• Total voters

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
That said, writing how you write, it seems to me as if you just want to confirm your bias, for whatever reason. The game has mainstream appeal and has been extremely well received by the casual audience and even the Grognards here despite the woke shit in it. At least here people were actually willing to point out that the game is not a 10/10 and has earned to be placed behind JA3, which is a great but also not flawless game.
I have no bias since i never played it.

I just find the woke complains about every fucking piece of media extremely repetitive and whinny

Theres not a single thread in the whole internet you can say something without saying "woke" on the same text? Godamn parrots

You could if you were to actually look at not woke media.

Ryan muller

Educated
That said, writing how you write, it seems to me as if you just want to confirm your bias, for whatever reason. The game has mainstream appeal and has been extremely well received by the casual audience and even the Grognards here despite the woke shit in it. At least here people were actually willing to point out that the game is not a 10/10 and has earned to be placed behind JA3, which is a great but also not flawless game.

I just find the woke complains about every fucking piece of media extremely repetitive and whinny

Theres not a single thread in the whole internet you can say something without saying "woke" on the same text? Godamn parrots

This is a beyond retarded answer, but its not even truth since more often than not the said media will have such comments mentioned in posts/threads commenting it:

"Pros: Not woke"

"Its good because its not woke"

"Ita well written and avoid the woke BS"

For the love of god. Touch grass

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Can anyone bring a con of BG3 aside from being woke or using DnD 5E Ruleset?

Damn you are only making me think the game is actually that good if thats all you all can bring to the table in every single discussion regarding it
How about horrid, barely usable UI (that for some reason barely gets mentioned), Larian's incessant obsession with elemental surfaces that makes half the fights twice as tedious than they need to be, act 3 being an unfinished bug riddled mess that can rival any Owlcat game out there, enemy AI that takes forever to pass turn and battles with up to 20 enemies all wasting your time (only happened to me in act 3, a guy I know had to deal with it since the start), idiotic itemization of the "during a blue moon against enemies with just one testicle who are currently on fire deal +5% damage" kind, not a single interesting companion without an offputting personality or at least a decent personal quest, fake C&C where for example it doesn't matter what you do in act 1 with the hag since act 3 plays out exactly the same apart from flavor text, main quest that will do anything to make you play a certain way and play along with the idiotic and clearly obvious ilithid ruse re: dream visitor, and even aside from that the story having a schizophrenic feeling of like three games squeezed into one where nothing gets a chance to breathe and you're just moving from one button=awesome scene to the next.

The list can go on and on. Oh, and yes, it's also woke and gay on top of that. A complete package.
That seems more like it. Whats wrong with the U.I tho? It seemed okay in gameplay videos
I don't remember the guy's name, but there's a dude around these parts who coined the term toilet chain for the control scheme where you can't just control your party by dragging a box around it RTS-style. Instead you have all characters linked by a chain and you can separate them at will by dragging their portraits around. But this is a) incredibly clunky b) adds needless clicking c) makes positioning and scouting an abosulte chore. And as a side effect of it, when exploring, you often have to cross gaps with these ridiculous anime jumps the game loves so much. Only they are governed by STR, a stat like 3/4 companions have 8 of. So with the chain, you'll jump somewhere, then realize half your team got stuck across the gap, then you have to go back, cast the jump spell and then ferry them all across one by one. Only because of the chain again, they don't sit still and keep moving and messing up your jumping off points. So you have to unlink them all, jump, then link back again. It's just a needless hassle.

Then the hotbar is a mess too, because it just gets flooded with all the shit you pick up, there are easy to miss tabs hiding abilities you really don't want hidden, a tab dedicated to passive!!! abilities that are actually anything but passive but are active toggles, and if you try to introduce some order to it all by carefully arranging the sections of the UI (which is already a ridiculous ask), when you get new active abilities or items that you have to add there, and have to rearrange it, you drag the section dividers (again - what the actual fuck), and it messes up all your ability positioning and just randomly rearranges it. And you have to do it for every character individually.

Then inventory is a mess too. First it has that whole one cell-one item system popular these days. But then the sorting options are severly lacking, they never save, and if you take an item out and move it somewhere or say use a consumable, it becomes a gap in the inventory. Which a) means that whatever sorting option you had setup defaults to no sorting b) there's now a gap in your inventory that spans pages upon pages of garbage, and when you pick up something new it will go in that gap that you don't know where it even is. And because everything is a tiny same size square, good luck spotting it.

Then there's also the character sheet that gives you incomplete information. Iirc you can only see a complete list of your abilities/status effects on the level up screen. There were more things that pissed me off about the UI, but it's been a while since my playthrough so I'm sure I'm missing some now.
Modern games have such terrible interfaces that this shit doesn't even stand out to most people.

Itoh

Literate
Everything about the gameplay is good-to-excellent, except for the interface, which is bad. Everything about the writing is mediocre-to-bad, except for the voicework/mocap, which is fantastic. I'd give it a seven out of ten. Worth playing through once, just because it's impressive that an AAA RPG of this workmanship managed to be created. Sadly, I can't feel motivated to replay it, however much part of me would like to retry different encounters with new builds, because the story and setting are utterly charmless(the writers worked hard, but it didn't compensate for their lack of talent and obnoxious millennial sensibilities).

Poseidon00

Arcane
Everything about the gameplay is good-to-excellent, except for the interface, which is bad. Everything about the writing is mediocre-to-bad, except for the voicework/mocap, which is fantastic. I'd give it a seven out of ten. Worth playing through once, just because it's impressive that an AAA RPG of this workmanship managed to be created. Sadly, I can't feel motivated to replay it, however much part of me would like to retry different encounters with new builds, because the story and setting are utterly charmless(the writers worked hard, but it didn't compensate for their lack of talent and obnoxious millennial sensibilities).

This is pretty much how I feel about it. Good turn based gameplay that is a refreshing change, but the narrative has all the same pitfalls as every Current Year piece of media, and it really shows, and it most certainly detracts from the experience. To be morally good in nu-DnD is to be for transgender rights, "refugees", and literal demonic hordes

erohakase

Novice

This is pretty much how I feel about it. Good turn based gameplay that is a refreshing change, but the narrative has all the same pitfalls as every Current Year piece of media, and it really shows, and it most certainly detracts from the experience. To be morally good in nu-DnD is to be for transgender rights, "refugees", and literal demonic hordes
It's a shame. Even from the very start of this game I liked the graphics and gameplay(about as much as you can from Larian 5e) but the story never really clicked. When I ended up going further along the obvious millenial writing became harder to not notice to the point where once I got to the the weird thing in the circus I just couldn't keep going.

The first Baldur's Gate had me interested from the time you left Tutorial Town. Even the first Pillars of Eternity game had me more interested to keep going.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This mindset is the reason why D&D 3.x is so popular with some people as well as bloated Owlcat's games with - toying with systems to build one's own CoDzilla is a fun in itself.

And guess what. In BG3 and in PF:KM/PF:WoTR, people mod new classes, spells and etc into the game. NwN2 by making it easier and not having so much hard codded stuff has a huge advantage imo.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron

This is a beyond retarded answer, but its not even truth since more often than not the said media will have such comments mentioned in posts/threads commenting it:

Absolute nonsense, first of all a single topic telling others that something is not woke is only becomes necessary because so man things are but secondly anything prior ~2010 will have neither wokeness nor comments on it.

Froila

Educated
This mindset is the reason why D&D 3.x is so popular with some people as well as bloated Owlcat's games with - toying with systems to build one's own CoDzilla is a fun in itself.

And guess what. In BG3 and in PF:KM/PF:WoTR, people mod new classes, spells and etc into the game. NwN2 by making it easier and not having so much hard codded stuff has a huge advantage imo.
As people create new haircuts and clothes in RPGs, adding new units in wargames ect. It's the same kind of entertainment. Some people have fun this way. And some people likes to play a game.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I just wanted to understand if you want to argue, like many folks who are woke and pretend not to be, that anything that would call themselves "liberal", "left-leaning" or "progressive" is woke.
Widening the umbrella of "woke" to the point of absurdity is what I see "anti-woke" people do. I am definitely not "woke", and in general that movement is basically an online american thing.
If you want to define "woke" very narrowly, and thus only including mentally ill people, maybe its true that wokes can't make good software. But then use the same definition elsewhere. When a new video game trailer releases, and there's a lesbian with a shaved side of the head or whatever, don't join the choir of people yelling WOKE WOKE WOKE as if that trope isn't 60 years old.

I don't know who you are and what your views are, my first response here was specifically to say that wide umbrella woke people can make good software, leasetof all because that's like 1/3 of game developers. Everything new that gets announced, there's a forum clique that rushes to the thread to call it woke. Every tweet a developer makes that's left of center, everyone reposts it and calls it woke. Josh Sawyer's medieval detective game got called woke for having an atheist in it, and the king of Ethiopia in some dream sequence. Please remind yourself where you are, and what people around you here are, and consider that your definition of woke might differ from the locally accepted one.

Not played it yet, but it's haters are talking about it so much I just have to play it now.
Anti-fans are fans.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If you want to define "woke" very narrowly(...)on't join the choir of people yelling WOKE WOKE WOKE as if that trope isn't 60 years old.

I define woke as someone applying the oppressor X oppressed (neo) marxist bullshit to gender, race, and sexual orientation. If someone complains about anything "hetero normative" and at the same time worship the Bear sex in BG3, that person is woke. In your example of lesbians, having a lesbian couple is not woke. Spartacus has gay and lesbian couples and no one call it "woke" depicting straight relationships as "heretic" while at the same time glorifying the gay/lesbian relationships would be woke.

Daggerfall Queen of Sentinel is Akorithi. No one considers Daggerfall woke.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Widening the umbrella of "woke" to the point of absurdity is what I see "anti-woke" people do. I am definitely not "woke", and in general that movement is basically an online american thing.
If you want to define "woke" very narrowly, and thus only including mentally ill people, maybe its true that wokes can't make good software. But then use the same definition elsewhere. When a new video game trailer releases, and there's a lesbian with a shaved side of the head or whatever, don't join the choir of people yelling WOKE WOKE WOKE as if that trope isn't 60 years old.

I don't know who you are and what your views are, my first response here was specifically to say that wide umbrella woke people can make good software, leasetof all because that's like 1/3 of game developers. Everything new that gets announced, there's a forum clique that rushes to the thread to call it woke. Every tweet a developer makes that's left of center, everyone reposts it and calls it woke. Josh Sawyer's medieval detective game got called woke for having an atheist in it, and the king of Ethiopia in some dream sequence. Please remind yourself where you are, and what people around you here are, and consider that your definition of woke might differ from the locally accepted one.

First, we have talked before, so I would call you woke, secondly that is your bias speaking. Last I checked sawyers medieval detective game was called shit, not woke. Not that I would dispute 2 people calling it woke due to the circumstances you describe, as always there are the odd ducks out there.

People can pretty much accurately define what woke is and what is not, remember the list of woke games? Normal people can categorize things quite easily and that you have to perceive people complaining about wokeness is mostly the wokesters trying to shit onto the table of everyone, even if only 1/3 of game devs are, the rest are pretty much made to shut up and keep their heads down.

The Umbrella isn't that wide in reality, "woke" people adhere to identity politics based on sex (pretending that sex does not exist but a social sex does is included in that) and race in a specific direction. I would also complain against a game tor developer that used other forms of identity politics.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
First, we have talked before
I've forgotten, apologies.

People can pretty much accurately define what woke is and what is not, remember the list of woke games?
The one where a game was listed "woke" because the ukrainian developer tweeted he doesn't like Russia? Can you link that thread, I want to have a glance at what became of the list, and its judgement.
And you call me woke. Honestly, any definition of "woke" which includes me is too wide, and would also include most american game developers, good and bad.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Can you link that thread, I want to have a glance at what became of the list, and its judgement.

your pointless remarks that are way more related to wokesters wanting to derail the thread and admin bias on this forum aside: https://rpghq.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=96651#p96651
And you call me woke.

Yes.
I meant the RPG Codex thread, I am not registered on RPGHQ.
At a glance, the list there is smaller than the one that was here, and Solasta is mid-woke because blacks exist, and Pathfinder is HEAVY-woke, because it is "pandering to deviancy". This is all very ridiculus, and I hope you are aware of the clownish nature of this whole project.

Silliness.
wat.JPG

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Can you link that thread, I want to have a glance at what became of the list, and its judgement.

your pointless remarks that are way more related to wokesters wanting to derail the thread and admin bias on this forum aside: https://rpghq.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=96651#p96651
And you call me woke.

Yes.
I meant the RPG Codex thread, I am not registered on RPGHQ.
At a glance, the list there is smaller than the one that was here, and Solasta is mid-woke because blacks exist, and Pathfinder is HEAVY-woke, because it is "pandering to deviancy". This is all very ridiculus, and I hope you are aware of the clownish nature of this whole project.
The list is not smaller, it has only been added to. The list here is not maintained anymore as the admins thought it would be a good idea to cater to people like you.

Pathfinder has literally trans-characters in it. And Solasta made characters purposefully ugly (male gaze) but the offense is not "black" characters but that they changed an existing image of white characters to black ones to pander.

I mean, If you want to debate it, you can make an account where people are actually allowed to talk but from what i am seeing the 'dex is exactly what you want, isn't it.

You also just have proven why you are woke, the moment you pretended as if Trans-people in a game does not mean it's woke you have shown (again) your political views.
I don't think this needs to be further elaborated, it's pointless.

EDIT: regarding your edit: you seem to fail to understand that a user with 1 post shitting in the thread does not change the listing as it is a community effort. You, again, prove my point.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The list is not smaller, it has only been added to. The list here is not maintained anymore as the admins thought it would be a good idea to cater to people like you.
Maybe I am misremembering, I thought it was bigger and had non-RPGs on it. Can you link the thread on this forum?

And Solasta made characters purposefully ugly (male gaze) but the offense is not "black" characters but that they changed an existing image of white characters to black ones to pander.
I've been with that game since it was first announced, nothing was made intentionally ugly. The release character creator was made, and the existing models were remade in it.

You also just have proven why you are woke, the moment you pretended as if Trans-people in a game does not mean it's woke you have shown (again) your political views.
Trannies existing is woke, then? Not anything in particular about them, just their existance is woke in of itself?

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Maybe I am misremembering, I thought it was bigger and had non-RPGs on it. Can you link the thread on this forum?

And Solasta made characters purposefully ugly (male gaze) but the offense is not "black" characters but that they changed an existing image of white characters to black ones to pander.
I've been with that game since it was first announced, nothing was made intentionally ugly. The release character creator was made, and the existing models were remade in it.

Trannies existing is woke, then? Not anything in particular about them, just their existance is woke in of itself?
1. I don't know where it is here and you can easily use the search function yourself

2. it's literally linked in the column of the solasta rating https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-roleplaying-games.147782/page-8#post-8580180

3. Gender theory is as wrong as it is woke, yes. It's sex based Identity politics, which I already said is woke. why are we doing this again?

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
trannies existing == woke
Well, the list is wrong then. ATOM RPG has trannies, and is listed as not woke. Fix your list.
It also has gay and lesbian romances, btw.

You are free to add games to the list if you think there are woke elements in it.

Nobody has ever said anything about gays and lesbians, that all just in your ideology ridden brain. I reiterate, as I always do, Bastard Bonds a super gay game is not woke, even one bit.

Ryan muller

Educated

Absolute nonsense, first of all a single topic telling others that something is not woke is only becomes necessary because so man things are but secondly anything prior ~2010 will have neither wokeness nor comments on it.
Theres nothing necessary, you just like to whine,thats all. Teenagers do that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom