Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Wunderbar

Arcane
RE7 had something like that, "Ethan must die" mode. It was pretty bad.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Deliberately choosing a video of a no damage playthrough in which someone who has mastered the game is able to beat the boss without taking a hit, and trying to use this to say the game is too easy. And then linking a comparison video of a stage demo where they are deliberately trying to make the game look as dramatic as possible. You are pathetic and disingenuous.

No. I deliberately chose a video showing the first birkin fight, because we only have footage of the first birkin fight in the RE2 reimagining. Dumbass. Why would I pick a video of one of the end fights of RE2 when the remake hasn't shown that yet?

Bullshit. You tried to pull a fast one and I called you on it so you are now backpedaling.

If your reasoning really was to show a comparison of the first fights then it's meaningless anyway considering how different they are. The point of the first fight with Birkin in the original is to show him at the very early stages of his mutation, thus he is relatively easy to take on. The designers are then able to continually up the ante and manipulate the expectations of the player when he shows up in new and more challenging forms. By the time of the Birkin fight outside the tram lift he is already using dash and jumping attacks which can take the player by surprise. But yeah having a bunch of exciting explosions and quick time events is certainly more important than thoughtfully developing the boss over the course of the game.

Nothing about that remake fight looks remotely challenging and I have no idea what depth it's supposed to display. They've taken a boss fight that was meaningful but brief in the original game and padded it out into banal, drawn out fight that looks interchangeable with any of countless other boss fights in similar over the shoulder shooters.

sullynathan

Arcane
Bullshit. You tried to pull a fast one and I called you on it so you are now backpedaling.
Sorry baby, you don't know what's in my head. I quickly searched "Resident Evil 2 Birkin" on YouTube and that was the first result.

JRsbx1u.png

If your reasoning really was to show a comparison of the first fights then it's meaningless anyway considering how different they are. The point of the first fight with Birkin in the original is to show him at the very early stages of his mutation, thus he is relatively easy to take on. The designers are then able to continually up the ante and manipulate the expectations of the player when he shows up in new and more challenging forms. By the time of the Birkin fight outside the tram lift he is already using dash and jumping attacks which can take the player by surprise. But yeah having a bunch of exciting explosions and quick time events is certainly more important than thoughtfully developing the boss over the course of the game.
Are you stupid? This remake/reimagining will also escalate Birkin with all his forms as you progress throughout the game. This is already confirmed. The first birkin fight in this remake is better than the first birkin fight in the original.
Nothing about that remake fight looks remotely challenging and I have no idea what depth it's supposed to display. They've taken a boss fight that was meaningful but brief in the original game and padded it out into banal, drawn out fight that looks interchangeable with any of countless other boss fights in similar over the shoulder shooters.
Oh please. The video I posted of the guy with the perfect playthrough beat birkin in the original game in 2 minutes, the video of the demo shows the capcom guy beating Birkin in the remake in about 4 minutes while he spends more time running around than engaging the boss unlike the guy with the perfect playthrough. How is this padded? You are the first one to bring up depth, depth that was nonexistent in the first game to complain about it in this remake to throw around buzzwords.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
inb4 it's revealed that DMC5 is a popamole game that plays itself or that fromsoft had cut giant spiders from sekiro

DMC5 is being made by the same dude that developed DMC3 and Dragon's Dogma.
And the only problem of DMC4 was the campaign being incomplete and the subpar enemy/boss design to DMC3.
From what they've showed the gameplay of 5 is better than 4 (which was better than 3) and each character has it's own unique campaign. So it's already as good as DMC3 - and DMC3 IS one of the best action games ever made.
The only thing that it might lack to make it the best in the series is the quality enemies and bosses of 3, something will only be able to see when the game releases...

But they already showed a pretty fucking dope Boss fight.

Just hope it isn't the only good one... :dealwithit:

As for Sekiro...
Well From has been declining that much is true. But I think it's for the most part because they've been jerking off the same game formula for almost 10 years now.
Sekiro seems fresh so they could surprise us.
At the very least it will be a fine or decent game...

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

inb4 it's revealed that DMC5 is a popamole game that plays itself or that fromsoft had cut giant spiders from sekiro

DMC5 is being made by the same dude that developed DMC3 and Dragon's Dogma.
And the only problem of DMC4 was the campaign being incomplete and the subpar enemy/boss design to DMC3.
From what they've showed the gameplay of 5 is better than 4 (which was better than 3) and each character has it's own unique campaign. So it's already as good as DMC3 - and DMC3 IS one of the best action games ever made.
The only thing that it might lack to make it the best in the series is the quality enemies and bosses of 3, something will only be able to see when the game releases...

But they already showed a pretty fucking dope Boss fight.

Just hope it isn't the only good one... :dealwithit:

As for Sekiro...
Well From has been declining that much is true. But I think it's for the most part because they've been jerking off the same game formula for almost 10 years now.
Sekiro seems fresh so they could surprise us.
At the very least it will be a fine or decent game...

All 3 look decent, but...
Re2make is going to be the best.

sullynathan

Arcane
Why would anyone wanna listen to that shill SkillUp? How does he have connections to get developers in his car to review games?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The game's embargo is gone now and the reviews are being released.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/resident-evil-2?ref=hp

Journos are mentioning that the game has A and B scenarios. Capcom played with us like a damn fiddle!!!
Unfortunately they are stripped down scenarios, according to HardcoreGamer.com
One thing I will talk about is a mode unlocked after completing one of the campaigns, so if you want it to go in completely fresh, avoid the rest of this paragraph. This mode is called “Second Run” and acts as a less impressive B-Side. This just starts the second character off roughly an hour into the story and changes some items and ammunition within the world, alongside early story events. For example, Mr. X shows up while you’re collecting the medallions for the first puzzle, which is far earlier than he’s supposed to. This leads to far greater tension as the looming threat of a grey giant consistently stalking you around every corner becomes a realization almost from the beginning. Unfortunately, after the first hour, the game more or less merges back into the standard campaign, not really deviating in any manner outside of the ending.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The game's embargo is gone now and the reviews are being released.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/resident-evil-2?ref=hp

Journos are mentioning that the game has A and B scenarios. Capcom played with us like a damn fiddle!!!
Unfortunately they are stripped down scenarios, according to HardcoreGamer.com
One thing I will talk about is a mode unlocked after completing one of the campaigns, so if you want it to go in completely fresh, avoid the rest of this paragraph. This mode is called “Second Run” and acts as a less impressive B-Side. This just starts the second character off roughly an hour into the story and changes some items and ammunition within the world, alongside early story events. For example, Mr. X shows up while you’re collecting the medallions for the first puzzle, which is far earlier than he’s supposed to. This leads to far greater tension as the looming threat of a grey giant consistently stalking you around every corner becomes a realization almost from the beginning. Unfortunately, after the first hour, the game more or less merges back into the standard campaign, not really deviating in any manner outside of the ending.

Well, tbh that's the same thing that happens in the original. In the B scenario, the police station playthrough is what changes the most (To the point that in Leon B one of the poker keys is completely useless). The sewers and the lab sections are basically the same, changing the bosses and the final section.

Wish they would have been more ambitious in the REmake 2 in this regard tough.

Solid Snail

Learned
Checked two italian reviews, and both told the same thing: the game is good, but it suffers from the double scenario thing which is not mixed enough like in the original, resulting a bit boring in the end. And the final part of the game is not so inspired like the police station and other locations.

A horse of course

Sounds a lot like my initial fears, which were that they'd been laser-focused on the Police Station and marketing the game around that. I didn't share these fears on RPGCodex but I was thinking them, so you should still give me credit for my amazing prescience.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
It's a bummer that Scenario B seems to be half baked, but I understand how it came to be that way.

I only watched the Laymen review and while they tried to skirt around it because SPOILERS, they unintentionally confirmed that Mr. X haunts you through the playthrough and that he runs on some type of timer and can get to you pretty much anywhere.

Now, let's assume that it really works exactly like this. You have this dope ass mechanic that's gonna be the standout feature of your game. But there's one problem. Mr. X was confined to scenario B in the old game. What do you do now? Do you lock your coolest addition to the game behind a second playthrough or do you cram everything into the first run and let everybody experience it from the get go?

Obviously, the correct answer is: Yes, you fat fucks. You put that shit in scenario B. Duh.

But they were afraid only a small percentage would get to see that feature and that reviewers would shit on them for locking it behind a full playthrough. It's unfortunate, but it also seems that Mr. X is more relentless in scenario B, so maybe it's not that bad.

PrettyDeadman

Even if the game isn't superb, it's still worth supporting for the gore! I bet dmc5 not KH (or whatever games you zoomers are interested in today) will have as much gore and as good of a gore.
Hopefully Sekiro will at least be as good as Nioh, but considering From Software track record for last couple of years you can't be sure.

Solid Snail

Learned
It's a bummer that Scenario B seems to be half baked, but I understand how it came to be that way.

I only watched the Laymen review and while they tried to skirt around it because SPOILERS, they unintentionally confirmed that Mr. X haunts you through the playthrough and that he runs on some type of timer and can get to you pretty much anywhere.

Now, let's assume that it really works exactly like this. You have this dope ass mechanic that's gonna be the standout feature of your game. But there's one problem. Mr. X was confined to scenario B in the old game. What do you do now? Do you lock your coolest addition to the game behind a second playthrough or do you cram everything into the first run and let everybody experience it from the get go?

Obviously, the correct answer is: Yes, you fat fucks. You put that shit in scenario B. Duh.

But they were afraid only a small percentage would get to see that feature and that reviewers would shit on them for locking it behind a full playthrough. It's unfortunate, but it also seems that Mr. X is more relentless in scenario B, so maybe it's not that bad.
Wait, so Mr X hunts you the whole time now? WTF I hate this, I hope it's something like Nemesis in 3 and not some random garbage, because I like to explore as I want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom