Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Might & Magic X: Legacy

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
and your failure to reply to that point for three posts now is more telling that the rest of the arguments combined.

Ok, here's my reply to this gigantically massive retardo fest of a "point" that I've been ignoring because it's downright ridiculous:

Stop bringing up my SRR review in this fucking thread and stop comparing fucking MMX to fucking SRR, for fuck's fuckety fucking fuck.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
NO, U STRAWMANZ!!

Yeah, okay buddy. You go right on ignoring that cornucopia of exaggerations and blatant misrepresentations you spewed whilst falling all over yourself in your haste to totally pwn Blaine on the Internet.

Well, MMXL is in fact a better game than SRR so :smug:

Says Infinitron who played neither.

You noticed that, too? At least I've actually played the game. Apparently that doesn't apply to members of the Ubisoft Defense Force. (~70 of these hours are UPlay being left open intermittently, I'm not that much of a masochist.)

7pV1X.png

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Your arguments have no devolved to the point where name-calling is all you have left. For lack of anything with substance, "Ubisoft Defense Force" is your best retreat?

Blaine said:
You go right on ignoring that cornucopia of exaggerations and blatant misrepresentations you spewed

You keep modifying your opinion in this thread. What you call misrepresentations are actually people reacting to your post and you following up with "that's not what I said."

and your failure to reply to that point for three posts now is more telling that the rest of the arguments combined.

Ok, here's my reply to this gigantically massive retardo fest of a "point" that I've been ignoring because it's downright ridiculous:

Stop bringing up my SRR review in this fucking thread and stop comparing fucking MMX to fucking SRR, for fuck's fuckety fucking fuck.

Fuck you.

Grunker said:
I think your review of SRR was fair, because exactly like Sceptic's review, you pointed out every single one of the game's problems, and then said you liked the game anyway. That's a good review. A game's qualities and flaws are not subjective, but your ultimately dislike/like of the game is.

This is the vital focal point of the debate we're having here. Dodging the criticism of your arguments for the fourth time by calling it "ridiculous" doesn't answer shit, it's just another way of avoiding an answer.

You can't answer it because it's fucking hypocritical, and you know it.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

THE SRR REVIEW HAS "GOOD FOR WHAT IT IS" PLASTERED ALL OVER IT

ALSO, A 10$ GAME ON SHOESTRING BUDGET THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A NOD TO A SNES GAME IS LIKELY TO HAVE DIFFERENT EXPECTATIONS THAN A DIRECT SEQUEL TO A CLASSIC SERIES WHICH ALL THE TIME POMPOUSLY CLAIMS ITS OLDSCHOOLNESS

GET THAT INTO YOUR FUCKING THICK HEAD ALREADY JESUS CHRIST

now let us get back to might and magic

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
lots of angry words in caps

No fucking way. "Good for what it is" means "considering what it is trying to do, it sort of succeeds." Well, that's exactly what SRR doesn't. It tries a complex character system, it fails. It implements tools for non-linear level progression, it fails to utilize them. It implements an interesting decking/team combat system, it almost never shows up. It has an alternate-world (cyberspace) to simulate hacking, but the systems in there are simple and become boring after your first deck. It has non-linear RPG city maps instead of hub-based progression, but it doesn't use them at all.

But fuck it. My point isn't to criticize your review, but to point out that YOU give SRR a pass where YOU do not give one to MMXL, even though it has LESS of the flaws that you give SRR a pass for. No matter how many times you press CAPS LOCK or which size of text you use, that won't become less true.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You keep modifying your opinion in this thread. What you call misrepresentations are actually people reacting to your post and you following up with "that's not what I said."

Blaine said:
I personally don't consider the game bad, but merely mediocre.

You call it shit.

and

Your arguments have no devolved to the point where name-calling is all you have left.

Fuck you.

you can be a holier-than-thou fucking prick sometimes

Ladies and gentlemen, the Codex's very own, the one and only, Grunker.

gIiyNGw.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You need to look up the difference between an insult and a strawman. An "insult" is when I call you a holier-than-thou fucking prick. A "strawman" is when you invent an argument that I've never put forth and try to disprove it.

A "4Chan" is when you support your post with a picture of a russian and walrus with big letters in Impact.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
A "4Chan" is when you support your post with a picture of a russian and walrus with big letters in Impact.

That one was a bit too big, I replaced it with a shibe pretty quickly.

The first segment is you misrepresenting my opinion three lines after quoting the post in which it's spelled out, just one of numerous examples that aren't worth collating, since you'll ignore them. The second is just a sampling of you spewing insults, and then calling someone else a hypocrite, after criticizing me for resorting to insults.

Didn't think I'd need to actually spell all that out....

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
breaking down the door to this review and shitting all over it because...

the fuck?

It's what this entire to-do is all about, ultimately. A few people said some mean things about the game and cast aspersions on that wonderful review—and regardless of any placatory gestures or concessions they might make, they must pay!

Efforts at being reasonable or reassuring those who are up in arms that the review itself is extremely well-done are ignored or viewed as chameleonic (you're changing your opinion!), since acknowledging them and just moving on wouldn't be conducive to the ultimate goal: leveraging every little misstep and perceived weakness of the person(s) to be discredited in a bid to completely dislodge/draw the focus away from their opinions.

I believe they identified Roxor's SRR review as his "weakness" and began harping on it before he'd even posted in this thread. I don't think I've ever seen a preemptive strike of that kind in all my years of Internet quibbling. :lol: (Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I'm way too sick of this thread to bother checking.)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's what this entire to-do is all about, ultimately. A few people said some positive things about the game and gave some credit to that alright review—and regardless of any placatory gestures or concessions they might make, they must pay!

Efforts at being resonable or reassuring those who are up in arms that there are certainly lots of qualities in the game that can be rightly criticized are ignored or viewed chameleonic (you're just a Ubisoft Defense Squad!), since acknowledging them and just moving on wouldn't be conducive to the ultimate goal: leveraging every little misstep and perceived weakness of the person(s) to be discredited in a bid to completely dislodge/draw the focus away from their opinions (and onto their perceived "selling out" - i.e. they don't really mean what they say, they're just corporate cocksuckers etc.).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My... it's a wonder how vague and insubstantial dismissals work perfectly no matter what context you put them in. Huh.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I thought "good for what it is" is by now a derogatory term not a real description.

All this argument needed was some quality Grunking. I'm glad that has now been remedied.

The definition of good for what it is was a personal highlight.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Never an argument involving me without some personal wisdom from the High Lord Trousersnake. I feel truly blessed having such a high degree of a user's total posts dedicated to me personally. Or, in other words:

43117045.jpg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice read, Sceptic. It was interesting to read all these comparisons to every other MM game from the past, even if I did not play most of them. ;)

Lhynn

Arcane
No fucking way. "Good for what it is" means "considering what it is trying to do, it sort of succeeds." Well, that's exactly what SRR doesn't. It tries a complex character system, it fails. It implements tools for non-linear level progression, it fails to utilize them. It implements an interesting decking/team combat system, it almost never shows up. It has an alternate-world (cyberspace) to simulate hacking, but the systems in there are simple and become boring after your first deck. It has non-linear RPG city maps instead of hub-based progression, but it doesn't use them at all.

But fuck it. My point isn't to criticize your review, but to point out that YOU give SRR a pass where YOU do not give one to MMXL, even though it has LESS of the flaws that you give SRR a pass for. No matter how many times you press CAPS LOCK or which size of text you use, that won't become less true.
All true, and yet its a cheaper game that i feel surpasses the original in a lot of ways, the mood and tone is generally better on SRR, and then they released a free dlc for backers to solve some of the issues. And its a different game than MMX, all they have in common is that they are both rpgs reviewed by codexers with a similar criteria and were released at around the same time.

Besides, we all know Darth Roxor is simply bad at MMX, thats why he cant help but hate it.
:troll:

Mightmagic

Augur
I'll be happy to send you the unedited review as it was originally posted in the content forum, ie the one that was 100% written by me with no input from anyone else whatsoever. Warning: it is so long winded that even I think it's long-winded.

Funny you should mention this, because I spent many many years decrying MM7 dungeons as decline and BSB. A lot of this decrying took place on these very forums. It is also one of the reasons I don't particularly feel the need to cry about how much MMXL are decline over typical M&M - M&M was never particularly famous for its dungeons (except for MM6, but then this was the reason that game was so praised, including by me), and nothing, NOTHING in MMXL is anywhere near as shit as the shittiest dungeons in MM2 (I specifically named those dungeons in the review as well).

I know where Blaine's coming from. He sees "dungeons are quite good", reads it as "dungeons are amazing and among the best in the genre" and throws a fit, then brings in some of the best dungeons out of the series and decries DECLINE OF TEH CODEX. I can play this game too. Here's a dungeon from MM2:

Square_Lake.png

Here's another absolutely awesome one from WOX that was totally not put together in 30 minutes:

might_and_magic_v_darkstone_tower.png

Fun fact: this was the endgame dungeon of the combined MM4-5. You play through two entire games, THEN through the combined WOX-only content, and the last gameplay sequence you do is walk along a linear corridor with nothing to see, nothing to fight, nothing to use, nothing to DO other tan press the arrow keys until you get to the end of the line, at which point you get to see the ending cinematic. Quality dungeon design right there! Review sucks and has never played WOX for daring to compare this stellar piece of design to the absolute crap done-in-30-minutes dungeons of MMXL.

There's a reason I stayed away from this entire debacle of a "discussion" back in the main thread: people were posting fucking Dungeon of Death to show that WOX had good dungeons. Since you love to throw around the "hasn't played WOX" crap: have YOU played WOX? Have you gone through Dungeon of Death? Do you remember what the reward for completing it was? Do you realise Dungeon of Death was one big, MASSIVE troll on the part of NWC? The whole damn thing was one long, interminable exercise in tedious and pointless time-wasting, followed by the developers laughing at you for going through with it to the end. And you posted it to prove WOX's good dungeon design - with a straight face no less.

Look: M&M is not a dungeon crawler. Dungeon design was never stellar. MM6 was one big exception to the series; that's what made the game so damn good and why many vote it as the best M&M (including me). MM6 dungeons are NOT representative of M&M series as a whole. When compared to the run of the mill dungeons of MM1-5, the dungeons of MMXL compare favourably - ie the best of MMXL is not as good as the best of MM1-5, but the worst of MMXL is also not as bad the worst of MM1-5, and if you pick Temple of Moo and Portmeyron, or Lighthouse and Witch Tower, and put them next to each other, they're not really any different. Which is exactly what I said in the review.

Sure, and I'm Julien Pirou.

Anyway this is the first and last that I have to say on the matter. There are 2 paragraph going into detail about exactly what is good about MMXL dungeons and why they're comparable to those of MM1-5. If you want to latch onto the statement while completely ignoring the actual argument then there's really not much space for discussion.

MM1 did have some - Dragadune was a pretty great dungeon, probably my favourite in MM1-2.
I'm not agree with you. you take mines (alpha, beta etc...) in clouds of xeen, level design are more complex.

The problem with MMXL is also the number of dungeons. Most dungeons are very short (dangerous cave, mysterious cave). There are few long dungeons (enigma tower, volo dungeons added in the patch).

MM6 famous for these dungeons? I don't think. Dungeons of Mm6 are very boring. MM6 is the first MM that I can't finish because dungeons were very bad (poor level design).

I dream dungeons with level design like in ravenloft strahd's possession by SSI

No mistake, MMXL is a good game and the best MM since world of xeen (I have given up all hope to find a good MM since the bad MM6).
I hope that there will be MM11 turn base tiled based with more budget and the problems corrected.

Last edited:

ben_reck

Educated
It's very much a north-south trek rather than an east-west one which is indicative of the "outdoors" dungeon problem (which was probably a small-staff issue).

The game's a success for me; the gold star thing, while cute, is unwarranted. I finished it and will probably play it again. That's more than I say for Dragon Age (one or two) and all things Bethesda which just kinda bore or annoy me to tears at some point.

Sure there are some things I'd like (6-8 pcs, less generic classes/races). I'd like to play a spriggan darter or some such thing.

DeclineSalesman

Barely Literate
10/10 7 page argument. Would buy on DVD for 5 cattle.

Also shitty game and bad excuse for rpg. Not once has the game let me make any choices and all of my companions have no personality plus I can not have a gay romance with my orc companion.
0/10 stupid game with shity turn based combat. Who even likes turn based anyway?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
10/10 7 page argument. Would buy on DVD for 5 cattle.

Also shitty game and bad excuse for rpg. Not once has the game let me make any choices and all of my companions have no personality plus I can not have a gay romance with my orc companion.
0/10 stupid game with shity turn based combat. Who even likes turn based anyway?

Plus there's no customization (y can not play as black gay dwarf, razzist!), plus equipped items don't appear on your guys in menu.

Pfff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom