Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist
i still don't understand how someone can pay 100$ for micro. Especially when you can buy it ingame for ingame money.

Yeah it will be probably 1,3mil or something like that. Doesn't seem to have Cutty interior space for cars and cutty already is like 1,8mil.

Is the game gonna be p2w? Or is this stuff mostly cosmetic?

You can buy pretty much everything with IRL cash, ships, in-game credits, plots of land, bla bla bla, but according to many backers it's not pay to win, because there is no "winning" in SC.

ADL

Prophet
Did I say I was buying it motherfucker? I said it'll be cheap in game. As in you can earn it in like three or four hours of playing the game.

You can buy pretty much everything with IRL cash, ships, in-game credits, plots of land, bla bla bla, but according to many backers it's not pay to win, because there is no "winning" in SC.

It's not a case of "I paid more money than you therefore I win". Arguably the best ship in the game for solo use is the Avenger Titan as a jack-of-all-trades which you'll earn in an hour or two as an upgrade to your Aurora or Mustang tops. Anything else is more focused or requires multi crew. Multi crew ships are more expensive but if you have people you can rely on to play with you, you would've probably pooled funds together to make those affordable and if you go out there with a multi crew ship as a solo player then my Avenger Titan is gonna fuck you in the ass.

I've taken on much larger, more expensive ships with my Titan and won so I completely disagree with the pay2win argument. Also there's a sidegrade to the Titan called the Avenger Warlock that replaces the storage with an EMP generator so you can disable ships in combat which makes it even better.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane

I mean they are not exactly wrong. Game is based on systems rather than levels and such things. Money functions more like shortcut than direct power as things you buy aren't better than stuff you can buy in game. It is not like in some MMO where you can just buy extra lives or sword of truth and kill everyone.

It is still shit but less offensive shit than something like warframe, eve online and other "free" games.

The other factor is that they plan for SC to be 90% NPC and around 10% players. Players being part of the world rather on top of it like in other games. Which means that even if you have a whale that spends money like idiot the amount of power he can buy is miniscule.

In full game ships will not be "infinite". If you lose ship and it is without insurance ship is gone. People can buy something like LTI for real money which is life time insurance. Sounds like shit to me but it is not free respawn at will as insurance claim takes time, ship would also need to be produced in game so it is not exactly complete shit.

So far it is kind washed out. Yeah they take money but on other hand impact of it is rather minimal. I never felt that i was going uphill against someone who spent money.

How it will be in "full" version no one knows. CIG stated that players won't be able to buy ships in full game for money but who knows what they will do.

Currently ships cost imho ok in in gmae money. They are not cheap enough to buy best ship in a week but not expensive enough to not feel "progress". This is further complicated by fact that most of more expensive ships are multicrew ships that makes no sense to use alone as you will be using only 1/3 or even 1/20 of its features/functions/power alone.

Good example of it is Constelation. IT is effectively 3-4 player ship. 1 pilot, 1 scanning/shield, 1 missile operator + 1 fighter support if engineering ever gets finished add another person as mechanic. It costs like 5mln which is about a week of grinding for me in lower tier ships. With some heavy mining ship more like a day.

Another factor in this is that the bigger ship =/= better ship. Hammerhead which is like 15 000 000 heavy gunship with crew of at minimum 9 is pretty defenseless against heavy bombers but amazing against a lot of small/medium ships. It kind of works like real life where you don't want to send that Hammerhead without few other ships to fill their holes in defense/offense.

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
Did I say I was buying it motherfucker? I said it'll be cheap in game. As in you can earn it in like three or four hours of playing the game.

I don't know what your mother told you, but I can assure you that’s pretty spot on.

Now, I can’t stop to notice that you are struggling with basic interpretation again, not surprising, but I’ll help you out again I never said or implied that you bought it, I was merely mocking the fact that you used “ONLY” when talking about a 100$ picture of a spaceship in a alpha game, that is all.

I mean they are not exactly wrong.

Look my dude, if you want to go full retarded and interpret the term “pay to win” in the literal sense of it as an excuse for “microtransactions” between the hundreds and thousands of dollars in a 45$ pre-alpha/alpha MMO that grant you a yet unknown but surely fair advantage of other players, please be my guest, all I’m saying is that in any other fucking game most people would be calling that pay to win regardless how you can still make up for it with enough skill, strategy or grind.

ADL

Prophet
The $100 price tag is irrelevant when you can buy it in game with money earned in game with ease though. MMOs sell all sorts of dumb bullshit in their stores that you don't actually need. As long as your progression isn't significantly impeded to nudge you in the direction of spending money I think it's fine. I've never felt that nudge.

I have eight ships in my fleet manager. If it weren't for wipes, I'd have around 30 entirely earned using in game money with nothing but an Avenger Titan paid for ($10 add-on).

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
You fags sound like the same people who defend gacha games. It's not pay to win! You can get everything in game! Nevermind how long that takes or all the tricks they use to make you pay instead

Myobi

Liturgist
The $100 price tag is irrelevant when you can buy it in game with money earned in game with ease though. MMOs sell all sorts of dumb bullshit in their stores that you don't actually need. As long as your progression isn't significantly impeded to nudge you in the direction of spending money I think it's fine. I've never felt that nudge.

I have eight ships in my fleet manager. If it weren't for wipes, I'd have around 30 entirely earned using in game money with nothing but an Avenger Titan paid for ($10 add-on).

Yeah, it’s irrelevant, that’s why it’s there on the first place, next to other price tags that go up to $40,000. My dude, sorry to break it to you, but not even CiG has a fucking clue of a how big of an impact these “microtransactions” will have when the game goes live, but I sure hope that I’m still alive when it does happen (assuming it does happen), I want to see what large and organized guilds with deep ass fucking pockets can do with access to every ship with life-time insurances and shit, astronomical amounts of credits and what fucking not right from day one :D

ADL

Prophet
You fags sound like the same people who defend gacha games. It's not pay to win! You can get everything in game! Nevermind how long that takes or all the tricks they use to make you pay instead
The majority of ships worth hundreds of dollars can be earned in ten hours of playing the game or less. To get the best in class ships for every profession in the game as a solo player, you're looking at maybe 100 hours of play. Anyone that plays MMOs knows that's extremely reasonable.

I've felt less badgered to spend money in Star Citizen than anything else in this subforum. Final Fantasy 14 sells bypasses to skip the entirety of A Realm Reborn's campaign which is fucking boring. They also sell level boosts for all the classes. The Elder Scrolls Online sells lootboxes on top of a subscription, quarterly DLCs, and expansion packs at retail. Hell even gachashit like Genshin Impact is cheaper than those games if you just do the $5 subscription every month and have some self-control.

Where's the hundreds of pages criticizing those games and their bullshit? Selling these ships is a small price to pay to get a game like this.

Myobi

Liturgist
"It's not pay to win because you can grind 100 hours in-game for it, and there are other games doing worst and I don’t see you posting about it!"

What a fucking brilliant take…

small price to pay to get a game like this.

A game like… this? Hum? What? Where? :D

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
100 hours for 10 different ships so you can do ten different things optimally. That's less time investment than it takes to get a character to max level and raid-viable.

Also LTI is the equivalent of repair costs in World of Warcraft. Any component upgrades need separate insurance policies. You guys have completely misrepresented the game's structure and intended progression and are making a mountain out a molehill as per usual.

Myobi

Liturgist
You can buy pretty much everything with IRL cash, ships, in-game credits, plots of land, bla bla bla

microtransactions” between the hundreds and thousands of dollars in a 45$ pre-alpha/alpha MMO that grant you a yet unknown but surely fair advantage of other players

not even CiG has a fucking clue of a how big of an impact these “microtransactions” will have when the game goes live

You guys have completely misrepresented the game's structure and intended progression and are making a mountain out a molehill as per usual.

How am I "completely misrepresenting" it exactly? I'm not the one pulling random numbers out of my ass to somehow justify this bullshit my dude… stop getting butthurt over people mocking a picture gaming company you twat :popcorn:

ADL

Prophet
Well it seems what you're taking issue with is progression in a sandbox game with an extremely optional pricetag associated with unnecessary progression skips which is being used to fund the game. If you're not enjoying a profession's gameplay loop, do something else. If you're not enjoying the game period, stop playing.

When Deus Ex Mankind Divided had unnecessary micro transactions that were easily ignored, I ignored them because the game was clearly designed without them in mind. Star Citizen's monetization is pretty similar.

Myobi

Liturgist
Well it seems what you're taking issue with is progression in a sandbox game with an extremely optional pricetag associated with unnecessary progression skips which is being used to fund the game. If you're not enjoying a profession's gameplay loop, do something else. If you're not enjoying the game period, stop playing.

When Deus Ex Mankind Divided had unnecessary micro transactions that were easily ignored, I ignored them because the game was clearly designed without them in mind. Star Citizen's monetization is pretty similar.

What progression? You are stuck on an unfinished solar system, with multiple game loops and features still missing, celebrating whenever you hit a playable frame rate without X crashes per hour until the next server wipe hits.

What I’m taking an issue with, is you, roleplaying as if you knew what the fuck you are talking about, when in reality not even CiG actually knows how heavily that sort of shit will impact the game when it goes live, as the damn thing isn’t even half complete yet, just as many of the things they keep fucking selling, and the truth is, they couldn’t really care less as long as it keeps printing them money, it’s why they even removed the cap on credits you can buy with real cash, shit, at this point Chris would even sell his own mother as a 100 manned mothership if the servers could host her fatass or enough players for it.

Perkel

Arcane
There is progression in game already which is why many people play it despite it being an alpha. You earn reputation with companies witch unlocks further missions. On other hand some of other progression is entirely sandboxy like this one:

hand mining --> car mining --> ship mining --> huge ship mining
....................................................|.............................................
...............................................refining --> trading refined ore

Moreover game is pretty sandboxy so in order to earn credits you can do it without doing those missions. For example you can trail some huge mining ship stealthly wait till they are done and extort money from them for not destroying their ship and valuable cargo.

Another thing is that all of those can be mixed at the same time. So you can take mission to find person who was lost in cave and in that cave start to main crystals. When you land there you also find that some dudes took over cave and they have separate bounty on their head and dude who is leader has separate bounty on himself.

Then there are beacons and stuff like that. At any point you can create beacon that will point to your place and credits attached to it. So if you for example get incapacitated in above mission you create beacon with "help me" and say 20k attached to it then someone on server will see it as a mission fly to your place help you revive with drugs or medical bed on their ship and fly away. You don't lose your equipment and whatever you had on you and someone else earns 20k. I saw plenty of beacons in my time with game.

The more stuff they add it multiplies amount of stuff you can do to earn CR. Next patch will add Cargo Refactor which means all cargo will be just another physical item that can be moved. Which means people will be able to steal your cargo by moving physically boxes from your ship to theirs. That will naturally create more piracy as extortion usually is just 30-40% of cargo worth while this give you ability to take whole cargo to yourself.

Disabling weapons are already in game so 2-3 people can hunt trader, disable his ship, breach doors, kill pilot and steal the ship with cargo or cargo itself.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
i still don't understand how someone can pay 100$ for micro. Especially when you can buy it ingame for ingame money.

Yeah it will be probably 1,3mil or something like that. Doesn't seem to have Cutty interior space for cars and cutty already is like 1,8mil.

The real question you should be asking is, is the game gonna be a game?

The answer is no.

Myobi

Liturgist
There is progression in game already which is why many people play it despite it being an alpha. You earn reputation with companies witch unlocks further missions. On other hand some of other progression is entirely sandboxy like this one:

hand mining --> car mining --> ship mining --> huge ship mining

....................................................|.............................................

...............................................refining --> trading refined ore

Moreover game is pretty sandboxy so in order to earn credits you can do it without doing those missions. For example you can trail some huge mining ship stealthly wait till they are done and extort money from them for not destroying their ship and valuable cargo.

That’s cool, but where are you progressing into with all that?

It’s like saying that World of Warcraft had progression if it was just limited to a single zone, with just daily & world quests, sprinkled with some old school gathering professions and reputations…

"Oh yes, it’s pretty sandboxy, you can run around, do some daily quests, earn reputation, that will unlock you even more daily’s, stumbling upon a few world quests while going from A to B, and you can also… !

Copper mining ----> Iron mining ----> Gold mining ----> Mythil mining ….. refining ---->trading it/selling it"

Is it “progression”, suuureee, sort of ike a hamster stuck on a cage running on his little wheel, is he actually going anywhere in that shit? Not really, but look at those big ass bicepts already!

Perkel

Arcane
Is it “progression”, suuureee, sort of ike a hamster stuck on a cage running on his little wheel, is he actually going anywhere in that shit? Not really, but look at those big ass bicepts already!

What is the point of progression in real life when you die either way at the end of it ?

Your argument here is that for you it is not a progression you want to see not that there isn't progression. There is plenty of people who just like to buy new ships for in game money and try other things. This is progression for them.

Story oriented progression kind of exist in SC but it is not expanded. There are some unique npcs with their own missions but there aren't many of them. Most of them are also from like 3-4 years back when they tested npc animations and stuff in SC.

Myobi

Liturgist
It's not that there is no progression, technically you are correct, what I'm trying to say is that is very... Circular? Limited? And maybe fairly insignificant? Which I guess is sort of expected considering it's pre-alpha/alpha state.

It's why I'm saying, it must be pretty hard if not downright impossible to predict exactly the effects of selling all this shit to players on the live game, especially when we are talking about an game with open PvP, is it possible to make it tolerable to everyone gaming experience? I guess, do I trust CiG to do it so? Ehhhh...

Perkel

Arcane
I mean effects of it in current alpha are seen. And they are not really that noticeable. If they went into full game without changing anything balance/economy wise it would be ok.

The question is how full game if there ever will be one will change things. If they will ever be able to have 100s/1000s of players in system how this will change things and so on.

Myobi

Liturgist
I mean effects of it in current alpha are seen. And they are not really that noticeable. If they went into full game without changing anything balance/economy wise it would be ok.

The question is how full game if there ever will be one will change things. If they will ever be able to have 100s/1000s of players in system how this will change things and so on.

Yup, but it isn’t just about how full the game will be, you also can’t forget that every month they come up with new random ass bullshit to add to the game, many with extra crap for the store attached, fuck if any of us know exactly how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Now, if they end up actually adding private servers, then yes, I couldn’t care less, they can go as far as adding giant ass fucking dildos so that people like Alexander DeLarge Twat can throw more cash at it and fuck themselves even harder.

Perkel

Arcane
Their server meshing tech proves there will not be private servers. At best their servers without ability to meet other players much like in Elite Dangerous.

Perkel

Arcane
Their server meshing tech

What server meshing tech? ;D

The one in the works. Whatever it will run or not you don't need to wait for finish to realize what it entails. In order to have private server you have to have first game that can be done completely on one server which CIG doesn't even plan to do at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom