Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Zlaja

Arcane
Quake II Remastered (texture smoothing off)

Quake-II-20230826190122.jpg

RIP, bros! :salute:
Quake-II-20230829175955.jpg

Bastards!:argh:
Quake-II-20230829184630.jpg

Quake-II-20230829212924.jpg

Quake-II-20230903035111.jpg

Enhanced strogg tits
Quake-II-20230903035144.jpg

Quake-II-20230826203618.jpg

schru

Arcane
Judging by the screenshots, you've turned off most of the graphical ‘enhancements’, which makes the game look close enough to its original version. Maybe only fires and particles are different, if what I tried (Quakespasm Spiked Multiplayer) is the same as the version you're using. Then there's the missing distortion on the weapon textures which only appears in the software renderer. You can always try Mark V, I think all it needs to run is to be extracted into a base folder with id1 folder in it, and PAK0.pak and PAK1.pak inside the latter.
I've used this blog article as a baseline: https://quake.blog/configuring-quakespasm-for-a-modern-retro-look.html
Also adjusted gamma and contrast.
If I decide to play through Quake again, it will probably be in DOSBox on Nightmare.

Is this what the mod looks like out of the box or did you have to add more stuff to get those graphics?
Sorry for the late response, but yes. This is what AD looks like in Quakespasm with mostly these settings plus "gamma = 1.2" and "contrast = 1.4".
I failed to pick up on it the first time, but do not use the music pack linked at the end of the article. It's a distorted modification made under the assumption that Quake's CD tracks had pre-emphasis, as I mentioned in the other thread. It seems that some pressings with it were issued by auxiliary publishers, but it was most likely a mastering error. The tracks lose detail when a de-emphasis filter is applied to them and Nine Inch Nails' 2020 official remaster of the sound track doesn't use this technique, and the music sounds even more crisp.

Here you are, I converted the lossless rips I have to MP3 and OGG, they're without a de-emphasis filter. The different titles are because they're named after maps they appear in, as there were no official titles at the time and the ones in the Quakeaddicted link appear to have some titles switched around even with respect to the fan-given names.

https://mega.nz/file/qNNGRAZb#LhieYn32lebkiX0DlfxsZks8CBJzEFyiYJJ1MKxMBIg

Vyadhis

Learned
Judging by the screenshots, you've turned off most of the graphical ‘enhancements’, which makes the game look close enough to its original version. Maybe only fires and particles are different, if what I tried (Quakespasm Spiked Multiplayer) is the same as the version you're using. Then there's the missing distortion on the weapon textures which only appears in the software renderer. You can always try Mark V, I think all it needs to run is to be extracted into a base folder with id1 folder in it, and PAK0.pak and PAK1.pak inside the latter.
I've used this blog article as a baseline: https://quake.blog/configuring-quakespasm-for-a-modern-retro-look.html
Also adjusted gamma and contrast.
If I decide to play through Quake again, it will probably be in DOSBox on Nightmare.

Is this what the mod looks like out of the box or did you have to add more stuff to get those graphics?
Sorry for the late response, but yes. This is what AD looks like in Quakespasm with mostly these settings plus "gamma = 1.2" and "contrast = 1.4".
I failed to pick up on it the first time, but do not use the music pack linked at the end of the article. It's a distorted modification made under the assumption that Quake's CD tracks had pre-emphasis, as I mentioned in the other thread. It seems that some pressings with it were issued by auxiliary publishers, but it was most likely a mastering error. The tracks lose detail when a de-emphasis filter is applied to them and Nine Inch Nails' 2020 official remaster of the sound track doesn't use this technique, and the music sounds even more crisp.

Here you are, I converted the lossless rips I have to MP3 and OGG, they're without a de-emphasis filter. The different titles are because they're named after maps they appear in, as there were no official titles at the time and the ones in the Quakeaddicted link appear to have some titles switched around even with respect to the fan-given names.

https://mega.nz/file/qNNGRAZb#LhieYn32lebkiX0DlfxsZks8CBJzEFyiYJJ1MKxMBIg
Thanks, you're awesome!

Kruyurk

Learned
2023-09-0321_31_44-ftjlfco.png

Here we are, in a situation where my ship's lazorz aren't powerful enough to penetrate the flagship's shields, but all its weapons have been taken down by boarding parties. So now we're just sitting here, neither capable of damaging the other. :lol:

If it were any other ship I could jump away, but the flagship has to be destroyed. RIP this run. It was going so well.

Maybe you could have tried to damage a subsystem far from the enemy healing room, maybe the pilot one since it is only two tiles. If you can eventually damage the subsystem, it will also damage the hull. It would have been a really long and boring process, but if you can damage the subsystem while keeping your guys alive, you can win.

You could also have tried something with the mind control: board on the enemy ship, hurt an enemy crew member, then mind control him when he finally goes to the healing room. I think he would fight there with his crewmates then hopefully gets killed.

Another way would have been to board the shield room and try to damage the subsystem enough to let some laser through, but it is complicated since there are still six enemy crewmembers.

All these tactics could be easily ruined by the enemy cloak.

And probably that the other phases of the fight against the flagship would have been even more complicated. But maybe winnable if you could kill the enemy crew.

Dr1f7

Scholar
guys this game's so fucking hype, vs vegeta was intense af

5.png
6.png
7.png
8.png

fight took like 20 attempts and i haven't had this much fun since like.. dark souls 1 or something

Last edited:

Psquit

Arcane
9nkeMFp.png

Enter Putler one, My ac that's going to save whatever is left of the west.

fzjX5cU.png

Some of the fights are basically arena fights. These types of 1vs1 missions would become their own thing, a side thing to earn money and weapons.

uwPdvqN.png

Some of the missions have really cool build-ups, like this one with a supercomputer made before the war that might have backup data of dangerous/forbidden technology so it has to be destroyed.

iPMDmwH.png

Some of the minor factions are funded by corporations, for example, this nazi terrorist group receives financial aid from a Japanese corp that develops biotechnology. Why would a corporation do this? you need pawns to win a war.

F1CH2oW.png

Eventually, you the player become your own piece, no longer tied to bullshit politics. So... the corporation you helped archive pax corporis ends up investing in killing you.

jzk4XJT.png

You get invited to Raven HQ to defuse a bomb but it's actually a trap to kill you, The chess master behind the scenes is actually an AI made before the war to keep humanity in check. You kill this god of mankind and free humanity to make their own choices again.

So the next entry is basically dog shit.
nptwPnf.png

Your main antagonist is this cuck called Stinger, who refers to himself in 3rd person. He's a boring antagonist.

NHWnhDB.png

They also introduced your waifu AC pilot that uses a pink AC :lol:

PCIxRMf.png

Eventually, you fight Stinger and in his last attempt to get the upper hand, he steals a prototype weapon called Phantasma, made by a terrorist organization.

KSAl6Ff.png

The fight is kinda bullshit but not super hard... (Ibis cel 240...), he dies like a bitch and it was not really a memorable fight.

f3fw9Gk.png

And this is how it ends. Pretty lame... but introduces elements that get refined in Master of the Arena, like arena fights and they develop more the rival/antagonist themes that future games utilize.

C1859ff.png

Here it's a more grounded story, a revenge plot with some twists! Your parents get killed by Hustler One the legendary AC pilot that not only he's the best but also the champion of the arena. You become a raven with the sole purpose to get the chance to kill this asshole and avenge your parents.
NQJqTxs.png

Eventually, you git gud and fight Hustler one and destroyed his ass. Yet he is still the top AC of the arena... odd.

5HQqwtK.png

UjhOJ29.png

Yes is the fucking ai from the first game. It's top of his game cause every pilot that gits gud gets deleted by the ai cause you become a threat to his bullshit perfect world calculations. You fight two Nine ballers at the same time then the upgraded version.

t99GZKb.png
That's how the story ends. The Arena and Raven Nest become offline after the fight. In my headcanon, it's because both endings happen in parallel to each other.

While the 15 to 30 fps these games have it's frustrating I did enjoy them but the controls are the true gatekeepers. Funny that I have been a Fromsoft fan since I was a kid, loved the AC series and some of Tenchu games (FS made one and partially helped develop the 1st) but never knew they were made by them.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2023-09-0321_31_44-ftjlfco.png

Here we are, in a situation where my ship's lazorz aren't powerful enough to penetrate the flagship's shields, but all its weapons have been taken down by boarding parties. So now we're just sitting here, neither capable of damaging the other. :lol:

If it were any other ship I could jump away, but the flagship has to be destroyed. RIP this run. It was going so well.

Maybe you could have tried to damage a subsystem far from the enemy healing room, maybe the pilot one since it is only two tiles. If you can eventually damage the subsystem, it will also damage the hull. It would have been a really long and boring process, but if you can damage the subsystem while keeping your guys alive, you can win.

You could also have tried something with the mind control: board on the enemy ship, hurt an enemy crew member, then mind control him when he finally goes to the healing room. I think he would fight there with his crewmates then hopefully gets killed.

Another way would have been to board the shield room and try to damage the subsystem enough to let some laser through, but it is complicated since there are still six enemy crewmembers.

All these tactics could be easily ruined by the enemy cloak.

And probably that the other phases of the fight against the flagship would have been even more complicated. But maybe winnable if you could kill the enemy crew.
Enemy crew came upon my boarders way too quickly for there to be time to damage any subsystem in the main partition. Mind controlling a heavily wounded dude isn't a bad shout, that's something I could have tried. But yeah, the ship cloaking is how I lost my combat crew in the end. Couldn't beam them back in time.

I actually had a thing going for a bit where there was one dude alive in one of the weapon partitions, and I kept mind controlling him while beaming one of my dudes in so they could break it for 1 hull damage, and then when the mind control ran out I would beam my dude home and let the enemy guy fix it so I could break it again. :lol: Alas, I was too trigger happy and beamed my dude back before the mind control had run out, so the enemy guy came along with him onto my ship.

It occurred to me while writing this post that I could have just mind controlled any dude in the main partition and immediately beamed him back onto my ship to dispose of him at my leisure, since apparently the crew teleporter works on mind controlled dudes. Rinse and repeat until they're all dead. Damn it. Oh well, by the time learned that little quirk my combat crew was dead anyway, so I wouldn't have survived phase 2 in any case.

9nkeMFp.png

Enter Putler one, My ac that's going to save whatever is left of the west.

fzjX5cU.png

Some of the fights are basically arena fights. These types of 1vs1 missions would become their own thing, a side thing to earn money and weapons.

uwPdvqN.png

Some of the missions have really cool build-ups, like this one with a supercomputer made before the war that might have backup data of dangerous/forbidden technology so it has to be destroyed.

iPMDmwH.png

Some of the minor factions are funded by corporations, for example, this nazi terrorist group receives financial aid from a Japanese corp that develops biotechnology. Why would a corporation do this? you need pawns to win a war.

F1CH2oW.png

Eventually, you the player become your own piece, no longer tied to bullshit politics. So... the corporation you helped archive pax corporis ends up investing in killing you.

jzk4XJT.png

You get invited to Raven HQ to defuse a bomb but it's actually a trap to kill you, The chess master behind the scenes is actually an AI made before the war to keep humanity in check. You kill this god of mankind and free humanity to make their own choices again.

So the next entry is basically dog shit.
nptwPnf.png

Your main antagonist is this cuck called Stinger, who refers to himself in 3rd person. He's a boring antagonist.

NHWnhDB.png

They also introduced your waifu AC pilot that uses a pink AC :lol:

PCIxRMf.png

Eventually, you fight Stinger and in his last attempt to get the upper hand, he steals a prototype weapon called Phantasma, made by a terrorist organization.

KSAl6Ff.png

The fight is kinda bullshit but not super hard... (Ibis cel 240...), he dies like a bitch and it was not really a memorable fight.

f3fw9Gk.png

And this is how it ends. Pretty lame... but introduces elements that get refined in Master of the Arena, like arena fights and they develop more the rival/antagonist themes that future games utilize.

C1859ff.png

Here it's a more grounded story, a revenge plot with some twists! Your parents get killed by Hustler One the legendary AC pilot that not only he's the best but also the champion of the arena. You become a raven with the sole purpose to get the chance to kill this asshole and avenge your parents.
NQJqTxs.png

Eventually, you git gud and fight Hustler one and destroyed his ass. Yet he is still the top AC of the arena... odd.

5HQqwtK.png

UjhOJ29.png

Yes is the fucking ai from the first game. It's top of his game cause every pilot that gits gud gets deleted by the ai cause you become a threat to his bullshit perfect world calculations. You fight two Nine ballers at the same time then the upgraded version.

t99GZKb.png
That's how the story ends. The Arena and Raven Nest become offline after the fight. In my headcanon, it's because both endings happen in parallel to each other.

While the 15 to 30 fps these games have it's frustrating I did enjoy them but the controls are the true gatekeepers. Funny that I have been a Fromsoft fan since I was a kid, loved the AC series and some of Tenchu games (FS made one and partially helped develop the 1st) but never knew they were made by them.
You're really going out of your way to make the game a lot uglier. Get rid of that terrible smudge filter you're using, whatever it is. If you want to use something, use a decent CRT shader.

Be Kind Rewind

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Serious Sam 2 is an atrocious but fun game that could have been great if it wasn't made primarily for consoles. Croteam never forgot how to make the core components of shooting enemies satisfying, bringing a wide range of enemies, very varying environments and a multitude of weapons that are well suited for specific situations and enemy compositions. Coming hot off the console ports of Serious Sam the sequel to the First and Second Encounter does manage to retain an impressive amount of the scope in many levels even if it is reduced heavily from the original two games, there is none of the console cancer design elements either, no regenerating health, no two weapon limit, etc. SS2 even adds vehicles and turrets to the game to spice things up, even if the turrets are a bit pointless considering the arsenal Sam has.

Where the game completely falls apart is in the console RAM limited enemy spawns, which was another of the defining features of the previous games, massive hordes of enemies in gigantic maps. Now there are medium sized maps and so few enemies that can be on the screen at any one time that you easily kill them off, press towards the spawn point, and then essentially spawn camp as they are teleported in. Instead of those moments when enemies start to surround you and your circle strafing skills are put to the test as in the first two games and in Serious Sam 3 this is more of a steady Chinese torture drip in medium sized levels.

The game is also wackier than previous games, partly because they got the budget for proper cutscenes and voice acting for this game. Much of it is so bad that it is good. One easter egg feels like a retroactive jab at Baldur's Gate 3, when you find an orc (negro) getting married to a (((stock broker))) in the sewer level.
ss26ddd2u.jpg
What doesn't work are the bosses, especially towards the end. Often relying on either turrets or vehicles, which brings this game down below Painkiller in how good it is. The final boss in particular is retarded since you zoom around on a levitating mobile scooter shooting at the weak spot, there is no option to fight it on foot, and all the systems of the game, all the weapons, your armor and your health, your grenades, everything goes unused. If I were to play the game again or for the first time in retrospect I'd use the recently added enemy multiplier available in the current Steam version.

ss1umiy2.jpg

ss2alfg6.jpg

ERYFKRAD
ss391fyk.jpg

ss4svdz3.jpg

ss5j1d3y.jpg

ss6sbfy9.jpg

ss7kse8h.jpg

ss8xiibp.jpg

ss99keo9.jpg

ss10bhid6.jpg

ss117wi6q.jpg

ss126yfln.jpg

ss13b6cm4.jpg

ss14xkdgl.jpg

ss15dqil5.jpg

ss16fwd00.jpg

ss17t8fh4.jpg

ss18nni5z.jpg

ss19qgimt.jpg
ss20bkcfr.jpg

ss2118dk1.jpg

ss22ckfyu.jpg

ss23vac2g.jpg

ss24l9ifr.jpg

ss25wsedc.jpg

ss27x4ixe.jpg

ss284afmy.jpg

ss29uhika.jpg

ss30p5ddb.jpg

ss31aaikd.jpg

ss32gyeer.jpg

ss33lce4z.jpg

ss3499iom.jpg

ss358iixt.jpg

ss36enfdq.jpg

ss37aofuz.jpg

ss38eafle.jpg

Self-Ejected

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
No :excited: reaction. Codex is getting old and woke. Really no much worth safing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom