Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
20230909001717_1.jpg

20230908235936_1.jpg

HansDampf

Arcane
0106fx0.png

(Enhanced Edition)
10 years ago, I played SS2. "Great game", I thought. "Maybe I should play the first game, too."
Better late than never.

02t2i91.png

iptDMPd.gif

I hope I won't regret this. Old games can be really punishing.

03w8ee2.png

:M

063oi6z.png

I normally like to play everything in 4K with max AA. But after a few minutes, I didn't like it at all. It just looks wrong. The widescreen format also distorts the HUD. Annoying... This is what I've settled on.

05snfqc.png

Spooky.

127vfws.png

Feels like the game likes to spawn these zombies right behind me, so this Sensaround thing is actually useful.

0868fq7.png

0716ieu.png

pew

04egft4.png

Cyberspace controls be like
bg5wx7r.gif

09zmc9r.png

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.png

10ioiy7.png

11crer7.png

A bit confusing how the text doesn't match the audio.

13vxfh2.png

*takes elevator to level 2*
:hmmm:

14toc65.png

schru

Arcane
HansDampf, the Enhanced Edition uses weapon view models and character portraits from the Macintosh version by default. While many of them seem fine, I think Shodan looks much more interesting in the PC version:

SHODANEmailAnimation.gif

I would also forgo using the integrated mouse-look mod and always keep the mouse in the cursor mode, which is how the original version was controlled. It's fairly easy to learn and feels more immersive to play, keeping the focus on the interactivity and exploration aspects, though even firing the weapons seems to have more impact when they're not bound to the centre of the screen.

spekkio

Arcane
Langrisser (a.k.a. Warsong) Remake a.k.a. one of the best japtacticals ever made.

Don't let the chibi models fool you, this is some real hardkore shit (at least original games, remake is supposed to be easier).

langrisseriii2023-09-bcc9f.jpg

langrisseriii2023-09-2ffgv.jpg

The King is dead, long live the King!

langrisseriii2023-09-bdi7w.jpg

langrisseriii2023-09-2df7x.jpg

New jobs?

:yeah:

langrisseriii2023-09-kjdu5.jpg

langrisseriii2023-09-sbcoi.jpg

Old rules?

So far it's same shit as the Langrisser 1 PC, except new graphics and some new mechanics. Nice.

Vyadhis

Learned
Langrisser (a.k.a. Warsong) Remake a.k.a. one of the best japtacticals ever made.

Don't let the chibi models fool you, this is some real hardkore shit (at least original games, remake is supposed to be easier).

langrisseriii2023-09-bcc9f.jpg

langrisseriii2023-09-2ffgv.jpg

The King is dead, long live the King!

langrisseriii2023-09-2df7x.jpg

New jobs?

langrisseriii2023-09-kjdu5.jpg

langrisseriii2023-09-sbcoi.jpg

Old rules?

So far it's same shit as the Langrisser 1 PC, except new graphics and some new mechanics. Nice.
How's this stack up vs the original played on an emulator?

HansDampf

Arcane
I fucked it up.
sshock2023-09-11dqixr.png

I see button. I push button.

HansDampf, the Enhanced Edition uses weapon view models and character portraits from the Macintosh version by default. While many of them seem fine, I think Shodan looks much more interesting in the PC version:

SHODANEmailAnimation.gif
Thanks for the tip. The EE comes with a mod to restore the DOS faces. The Mac faces look a bit fake.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Sounds like the good ending to me.
Or is there an ending in which you destroy the entire civilization?

schru

Arcane
doom301.png

hands up Licorice, your shitposting ends here

doom302.png

doom303.png

zomg!!!

doom304.png

whacking zombus with the flashlight is easily one of the most hilarious parts of doom 3

doom305.png

doom306.png

omg ruski war propogonda

doom307.png

working mirrors reporting in

doom308.png

the sentry bots are great, it's like a loyal little puppy with a deadly machine gun
Playing the BFG edition or do you have a prestigious original copy?
Edit: Since I see the flashlight, I assume it's the original or a mod?

Anyway, good stuff, glad to see some Doom 3 love.

Also worth playing for the best EAX game peak 3d hw sound technology if you have an X-FI card. Mindblowing.
While the way it works is indeed quite nice, it probably wasn't the best of implementations:

https://www.shacknews.com/article/32824/creative-labs-patent-doom-3

It works on more recent Sound Blaster cards with the help of ALchemy too, although there may be some inaccuracies of emulation.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

How is the difficulty? I've been itching for a game in this genre but the recent fire emblem clones and some emulated Thracia 778 both left me frustrated, as the difficulty mostly seemed to appear in the form of either 'unavoidable death need to survive by RNG' or 'bullshit ambush you need to avoid by predicting.' I don't want a game I can steamroll, but I also don't want one where all the difficulty is erased by savescumming. Does Langrisser use permadeath? I feel like it's a bad fit for the genre.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
the sentry bots are great, it's like a loyal little puppy with a deadly machine gun[/spoiler]

Also worth playing for the best EAX game peak 3d hw sound technology if you have an X-FI card. Mindblowing.
While the way it works is indeed quite nice, it probably wasn't the best of implementations:

It works on more recent Sound Blaster cards with the help of ALchemy too, although there may be some inaccuracies of emulation.
Can confirm the game sounds great with EAX. I run it in WinXP with a 7900GT and X-Fi sound.
And along with Stereo 3D its quite the experience. Love the game.

yellowcake

Arcane
the sentry bots are great, it's like a loyal little puppy with a deadly machine gun[/spoiler]

Can confirm the game sounds great with EAX. I run it in WinXP with a 7900GT and X-Fi sound.
And along with Stereo 3D its quite the experience. Love the game.

And it mostly works right out of the box even in windows 10 with the card being automatically detected as OpenAL device.

spekkio

Arcane
Vyadhis said:
How's this stack up vs the original played on an emulator?
Did you play "the original"? And which "original"?

:roll:

Damned Registrations said:
How is the difficulty?
Only a couple missions of Langrisser 1 in, but difficulty seems decent. Which is weird, since the net consensus seems to be "baaaw, no challenge whatsoever!1!". Either I'm doing sth wrong, game got patched after release or it gets easier later on. We'll see.

Best way of getting EXP is to kill enemy grunts first, and their commander last (commander dead = all grunts dead as well). But it isn't easy / doable in early missions, when you control only 2-3 "teams" plus have to protect civilians.

I don't want a game I can steamroll, but I also don't want one where all the difficulty is erased by savescumming.
Then don't savescum. Or play X-com.

:obviously:

How about trying the game (PC version is 1.4 GB in teh tubes), instead of sounding like one of these guys who want "a jrpg, but with C&C like in Fallout, complexity of X-com, Bloodlines' jiggly boobs graphics, Desu Ex multiapproach to missions..." And maybe testefuly done rape as well?

:roll:

On a more serious note...

Langrisser remake only has one slot for a "quicksave at will", but no quickload. To savescum, you have to go back to main menu and load the quicksave every fucking time. Pain in the ass.

Does Langrisser use permadeath? I feel like it's a bad fit for the genre.
No. Fallen commanders retreat.

My suggestion?

Try Der Langrisser (Langrisser 2 remake) for Snes. I fell in love with this game a couple years ago. IMO it's the best intro to the series.

Great combat system, no grinding / side missions, fantastic replayability due to two layers of C&C:

1) Job "trees" for commanders. Copied but dumbified in modern Fire Emblems. In LR job also determines grunts that each commander can hire. Which is teh crux od the game.

2023-09-1123_26_16-dertf8f.png

Remake even has a neat menu screen for all this:

2) Multiple paths through story:

4scenariopathchartodfed.png

Later I also completed Langrisser 1 PC remake for Win98:

Original versions of L1 & L2 for Genesis / Mega Drive look like ass, but are much harder than all remakes:

"Modern" remakes add new graphics, option to grind (but only by replaying "old" missions):

langrisseriii2023-09-yqdfw.jpg

And some new subsystems like tweaked jobs, magic, skills and items:

langrisseriii2023-09-yzdfg.jpg

The latter seem to be the reason for units having high HP pools now (in hundreds) - another thing "oldfags" were baawing about - originally HP were only in the 0-10 range.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom