Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Why do they continue to make games set between the ep 3 and 4. Does Disney make them or are they just too stupid to come up with original ideas? Say what you will about biowhore but at least KoToR was an original setting (for SW at least).

cosmicray

Savant
It's just a general direction in producing everything pre-Ep4. Everything wants to be tied to original trilogy. Even the new one. I don't understand why.

cosmicray

Savant
And they're diluting it. Star Wars could be so much more. It's a universe, not a moment in time between 3 and 4 episode.

Rev

Arcane
Stupid opinion ahoy: I liked The Force Unleashed, and I liked it way more than any of the new films.
Good for you but the first one was just mediocrity in the form of an action video game, while the second one was just terrible, possibly one of the worst games I've ever played.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And they're diluting it. Star Wars could be so much more. It's a universe, not a moment in time between 3 and 4 episode.

You can tell a lot of stories in the world of Star Wars, sure. I'm not sure how interesting or different those stories would be from other space opera settings though. The main crux of love for that franchise is people loving the original trilogy.

cosmicray

Savant
Love for OT made the Extended Universe, which in turn fueled creation of prequels, etc. It became so much more than just 4-6 episodes. I understand that having it set pre-4th establishes whole backstory/setting, but the constant need to tie everything to the Main Story is irritating.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
That fucking price tag. :lol:

:what:

LLMpt5g.png

I don't think I've ever seen a game on Steam set this many regional prices expensive than the base USD price.

And what's up with Israel.
Now juxtapose those prices with earnings in each of those countries. $60 is already a nasty price to dish out in Poland (at the same time a typical console game price), so I can only imagine about people in Ukraine or Thailand...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, looks like they offer "proper" (for a AAA game) regional pricing for some countries... if you purchase on Origin. Not shady at all.

Say what you will about biowhore but at least KoToR was an original setting (for SW at least).
No, it wasn’t. It was an adaptation/sequel to Dark Horse’s Tales of the Jedi comics (incidentally the best Star Wars comics ever produced by far), albeit with most of the interesting stuff stripped out.
I agree with you though that this obsession with setting games/ extended media between eps 3&4 is odd though; it’s really not a particularly interesting period.

JDR13

Arcane
Stupid opinion ahoy: I liked The Force Unleashed, and I liked it way more than any of the new films.
Good for you but the first one was just mediocrity in the form of an action video game, while the second one was just terrible, possibly one of the worst games I've ever played.

Agreed. Those games were terrible. Fwiw though, I don't think Fallen Order is going to be anything like TFU.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Say what you will about biowhore but at least KoToR was an original setting (for SW at least).
No, it wasn’t. It was an adaptation/sequel to Dark Horse’s Tales of the Jedi comics (incidentally the best Star Wars comics ever produced by far), albeit with most of the interesting stuff stripped out.

Well it was original to 99% of people. Never knew about those comics.

I agree with you though that this obsession with setting games/ extended media between eps 3&4 is odd though; it’s really not a particularly interesting period.

This setting could be interesting if we didn't know what happens in ep 4+. Nothing in any games or media (SW Rebels for example) matters because none of the characters ever resurface in the movies.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Agreed. Those games were terrible. Fwiw though, I don't think Fallen Order is going to be anything like TFU.

Slaughtering stormtroopers was fun, at least until the game used those that were immune to force powers, mostly because the physic engine was way more reactive than jedi knight. The rest was mostly trash, though.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
I hate this kind of setting on between Episode 3 to 4, that people in charge of the universes are trying to tie in for the movies.

Non of these character will ever be mentioned or worthy in the same standing as the character in the Movies.

Movies will always trump in term of importances than the rest media in the universe franchise, even with how shit the new sequel trilogy butchered the established canon (Pre and New Expanded Universe).

None of this expanded Universe material will matter in the long run.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think TotJ is pretty goofy at times and that there are better comics, like John Ostrander's Quinlan Vos stuff. But TotJ is unparalleled when it comes to additions to the Star Wars mythos other than Lucas' movies.

For those who haven't read it, Tales introduced things like Korriban, Ziost, Onderon, Dxun, the Sith Empire, Miraluka, fleshed out the Mandalorians and introduced the concept of Mandalore etc. There's also Ossus and Jedi/Sith Holocrons, which first appeared in the related Dark Empire (written by one of the authors who wrote Tales), tying into Tales which were written afterwards.

Tales didn't only create a new setting, it created two - set apart by a millennium.

In the older era the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic have no idea of each others' existance, until they come into contact by accident and the Empire launches a surprise attack on the larger Republic. The world really gives off an ancient vibe, with much of the galaxy not yet explored. Lightsabers have cables to belt-worn power sources and people's clothing look ancient Egyptian.

In the newer era, things have progressed with lightsabers ditching the cable and clothing looking more modern. But it's still very alien compared to the movies with the ships looking completely different, Jedi wearing varied outfits instead of unified robes and the main plot having nothing in common with the OT: A cult takes hold of one of the Republic's strongest planets, Mandalorians start raiding the Republic and certain Jedi begin to engage in less than Jedi-like behavior and search for forbidden power.

One of my favorite things in Tales of the Jedi is the character Simus, a Sith Lord who had his head chopped off by their leader Marka Ragnos. But instead of dying, his head was put in a jar that kept him alive, and he is kept around as an esteemed advisor by Ragnos. It's just so... weird and alien, and something you can believe to have happened thousands of years before the movies.

Like the man who loves Richard Simmons said, BioWare took this setting and "moviefied" it, stripping it of the ancient aestethics and essentially re-told the story of the Original Trilogy in video game form. Not only is the change of style jarring, it's also completely nonsensical with Malak using wedge-shaped Star Destroyers (why would the Prequel-era Republic design ships in the style of space nazis that invaded them in the past?).
The only really original thing they did was the Mandalorian Wars backstory, which is not only a great story but also a logical continuation of the events in Tales.

It’s been a while since I read the Vos comics, and I was a pretty big stoner at the time. I’ll give them a reread sometime with a clearer head. All I really remember from them is his friendship with the Devaronian. Ostrander is generally pretty solid though. Legacy wasn’t too bad either (although it got a bit bogged down as it wore on), certainly better than anything Disney’s done.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Watched a bit or gameplay and it looks pretty cool. Might pick this up when it's on sale.

My only problem from what I've seen is that there's quite a bit of platforming sections which look pretty awkward and there haven't been a lot of lightsaber battles? Sekiro was cool because it was intense 1 on 1 badass samurai battles but this seems a bit lacking in that department. Maybe I'd be better off installing a mod for sekiro that replaces all the swords with lightsabers?
Also, in general, whenever games have more than one difficulty I get pretty pissed but this seems to have handled it decently. Hardest difficulty seems about on par with how a souls game would feel, which is basically the gold standard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom