Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The Elder Scrolls VI - officially announced but you'll have to wait

Guess the Province/Location

• Hammerfell

• High Rock

• Valenwood

• Elsweyr

• Black Marsh

• Summerset Isle

• Daggerfall

• Akavir (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Look, if you objectively cannot see that Witcher 3 combat is way better than Skyrim combat, then you sir are a fanboy.

ADL

Prophet
I don't think it's at all controversial to say that Witcher 3's combat is better than Skyrim's combat. That being said, they're both dogshit.

Also unlike Skyrim, Witcher 3's combat can be salvaged through mods despite having significantly lesser modding capabilities

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Here is my prediction:

There will be actualy a few areas that you will be traveling across, two or three, each will be the size of Cyrodill map from Oblivion, you will start as a 'nobody' building your way up to eventualy become the king/ruler of one of the areas, this part of game will be your typical Bethesda RPG, once you become the king, the gameplay will shift to mount and blade style where you will be ruling over your kingdom and have an army with which you will be riding around to eventualy conquer whole of playable areas, in the meantime Daedra or some other 'evil' will try to destroy you, so you will have to play on 2 fronts, on one side managing your kingdom, on other fighting other kingdoms/daedra.

The end of game will be once you defeat everyone or unite with other kingdoms and defeat daedra.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The game will be streamlined down to having 1 sword and 1 spell, one stat called Winning which you put all your points into because there isn't anything else. MMO quests in a single player RPG like all the other games. It will be so buggy it barely even works at release, xboxes will set on fire, PCs will crash, dragons will fly backwards, etc. It will sell 100m copies. There will be DLC for a second sword which 1 shots everything but is really expensive. Also an expensive DLC to enable modding. You will get a dragon as a pet which dies in 1 hit unless you buy dragon armor which is expensive too.

once you become the king, the gameplay will shift to mount and blade style where you will be ruling over your kingdom and have an army with which you will be riding around to eventualy conquer whole of playable areas

No, this is an Elder Scrolls game. When you become "king" it will just mean that you get a room in the castle for you to keep your stuff in. There will still be an NPC in the throne room that sends you on quests to kill random NPCs as well.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am actually shocked that people are still interested in Elder Scrolls VI. Remember, this is a studio that in its entire history has never really innovated or improved or anything.
That's putting the case rather strongly, don't you think? They took an evil path later but until Oblivion the series was ingenious and pretty much incline. Even after that, some* changes in later games were for the better, and I'll fight you on that.

*not all

I'll say it out loud: I enjoyed hundreds of hours in Skyrim (not even counting previous ES games). The main reason? No game or series comes close to Elder Scrolls in terms of pure LARPing potential. There is a ton of lore and substance that provides a broad and colorful backdrop to tell all kinds of crazy stories. And whether anyone admits it or not, the character system allows the player to explore several deep and distinct playstyles. If you want, you can be the "100% achiever" head of the Thieves Guild and archmage of the Mages Guild etc., which is obviously stupid ... but nothing forces you to do that at all**.

**Well, OK, except for the stupid MQ that does indeed force you to get your toes wet in every guild. But you don't really have to do the MQ at all either.

Speaking for myself, I played four different characters:
1) A straight up Conan-type warrior who perfected fighting skills and went around following rumors of dragons and hunting them;
2) A Dark Elf wizard slash detective who didn't carry armor or weapons, stalled on a pilgrimage to Summerset Isle to seek out the Psijics when the arrest took place. (I was blown away when the Psijics actually contacted this character in the game!) Interested primarily in hunting Daedric artifacts, and there was plenty to do there;
3) A spy from Wayrest in High Rock, again with no weapon skills, sent with a mission to cause problems for Orsinium by destabilizing the region, which was brilliantly accomplished by infiltrating the Stormcloaks and helping bring those idiots to power;
4) A serial killer Wood Elf, who fought for justice by stalking and murdering the region's many lumberjacks.

Note that in my 347 hours I never came close to finishing the MQ.

I have similar stories for New Vegas and even Fallout 3, lots of fun gaming memories there. If you want to talk about the characters I made for Morrowind and Daggerfall and the stories I told there, we can do that too (though memories are hazier). To most Codexers I'm "doing it wrong" because I don't care about accumulating xp, but this is what RP gaming is all about for me. Show me another studio that makes games that give me both this kind of freedom and enough open world content to push against that I can create these kind of stories, and I will definitely play them. Right now I'm frankly unaware of any game that does it better than Skyrim, for all its many faults and failings.

Now. Elder Scrolls 6, I don't know about, because Fallout 4 appears to have taken a giant step backwards in voicing the protagonist, making all skills and perks only relate to combat, etc. It really doesn't look like you can meaningfully play more than one type of character. (I haven't played Fallout 4.) Maybe ES6 will do the same thing, ruining the one thing about the series I always found so appealing. ES5 certainly took away some options I liked. How much dumber will ES6 get? I'm not exactly holding my breath (like I did for Skyrim) ... but I will read the previews with interest to see whether I can "do my thing" when the game comes out.

Last edited:

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I don't think it's at all controversial to say that Witcher 3's combat is better than Skyrim's combat. That being said, they're both dogshit.

Also unlike Skyrim, Witcher 3's combat can be salvaged through mods despite having significantly lesser modding capabilities

why would you post a video from the old version of that mod if you wanted to make a good showing of it? Strange.

ADL

Prophet
why would you post a video from the old version of that mod if you wanted to make a good showing of it? Strange.
Because other combat demos showing it off suck. This shows off the fact that it plays more like he's described in the books.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Because other combat demos showing it off suck. This shows off the fact that it plays more like he's described in the books.

i could not disagree more. That video looks goofy. Other videos played by people who havent autistically mastered the bending looks more sensible and much more strategic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...all_trademark_dispute_with_book_publisher.php

Zenimax settles 'Redfall' trademark dispute with book publisher

ZeniMax and book publisher BookBreeze have resolved their legal dispute over the 'Redfall' trademark.

The two companies came to loggerheads in Februaryafter Zenimax attempted to trademark the word 'Redfall,' which is also the name of the BookBreeze published sci-fi novel series from author Jay Falconer.

It's thought Zenimax-owned developer Bethesda Studios was looking to use the name in its upcoming Elder Scrolls title, which was unveiled at E3 2018. Worried about the confusion that might cause, Falconer asked BookBreeze to take legal action on his behalf, having failed in his own attempts to contact Zenimax.

It looks like that was enough to grab the attention of Zenimax, and both parties have finally come together to hash out a "mutually beneficial" resolution.

"ZeniMax Media Inc. and Bookbreeze.com are pleased to announce that they have amicably resolved a pending trademark dispute related to the Redfall trademark," reads a short statement.

"While the specific terms of the agreement are confidential, the parties believe that resolution of the matter is mutually beneficial to both ZeniMax and Bookbreeze.com and their respective fans."

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
And just think, Bethesda could have spent the last 8 years crankin' out 246 different DLCs for Skyrim. They gotta lot to learn, them boys over in Mary-land.

"mutually beneficial" = Bethesda promises not to bankrupt them with legal fees over their money printing machines title if they surrender the trademark in exchange for old dirty moldy peanut shells from Pete's asscrack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom