Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did a quick perusal of TTGL and I find it to be a very odd forum. There are so many apologists and astroturfers, but there are a lot of people who represent a more codexian view point too. Unfortunately the rules seem to prevent posters from calling the idiots what they are.

The coolest dude on TTLG is ZylonBane. A true bro, I used to lurk those forums solely to read his posts.

Sequel plans are underway:

Then; Cantin chipped in to say, “We’ve built a really big universe around the first game, and there’s a lot of layers to it – the world is really deep. So there’s a lot of possibilities to jump on.

:rage: :x :negative:

Time to celebrate!

...celebrate the butthurt of Thief fans:
dM4T5tRz.gif

Ninjerk

Arcane
I did a quick perusal of TTGL and I find it to be a very odd forum. There are so many apologists and astroturfers, but there are a lot of people who represent a more codexian view point too. Unfortunately the rules seem to prevent posters from calling the idiots what they are.

The coolest dude on TTLG is ZylonBane. A true bro, I used to lurk those forums solely to read his posts.
Doesn't he stir up shit pretty regularly on the W2 forums?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Doesn't he stir up shit pretty regularly on the W2 forums?

Don't think he has an account there. You must be confusing him with somebody else.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I thought his name looked like the one from the last time I followed a link over there (I don't have an account on their forums).

skacky

3D Realms
Developer

Hell yeah, ZylonBane is awesome.
I'll play Thi4f some more tomorrow but I'd rather hang myself than carry on with the horrible performance and the terribad gameplay.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
After the HotU forums died, I hung out at various forums. I lurked at the RPG Watch, and can confirm what Spellcaster said: Bashing a game was frowned upon.

The NMA forum was weird, but not Codex weird. The oddest thing that happened there was that one of the biggest postwhores got arrested, convicted and sentenced to 4+ years in jail because he got busted storing some "hot" data for another guy. Can't remember the details better than that.

Shralla

Educated
How is the Official cesspit forums taking it ? I imagine the moderators are on a PR frenzy by now and trying to put out the flames as the house burns down around them.

Well there's a thread for reviews and it seems like it's mostly full of people talking about canceling their preorder, other people telling those people that they're stupid for judging it before it's out or before people have had a week to play it, and the moderators just being as friendly as possible while refraining from any obvious commentary regarding the reviews. Overall I would say that the consensus is that it's a fucking disaster like everybody said it was going to be. Considering the time and therefore money spent on developing this game, then the money for the marketing they've been pushing, it's hard to imagine that some suit at Square Enix isn't completely losing their mind and trying to fire everybody right now. Sales will be the ultimate deciding factor, but considering what they expected for Tomb Raider, they're bound to be disappointed.

Azazel

Arbiter
Holy shit, dat Metacritic! A few hours ago there was about 10 negative user reviews, now there's only 2.

I'm sure that is just a glitch and Square Enix is definitely not leaning on places to remove what negative feedback that they can.

I played the introduction and the first level. Within 5 minutes of starting the game, there was already a button-mashing minigame to open a window, that set the pace for what was to come; way too many scripted cutscenes, "edgy" sidekick, shitty corridor design, lack of control and player agency (you can't even lean without an actual wall corner, not to mention the now comical inability to jump anywhere), over-designed UI, ridiculous AI (in the first level's courtyard, you can literally shuffle behind the guard in the grass, standing up, he won't bother turning around unless you directly bump into him), etc. It's every bit as bad as it seemed - it might actually be worse, even. Deadly Shadows is a fucking masterpiece compared to this.

The ironic part is that it also looks pretty bad, popamolers won't bat an eyelash for any of this. So the payoff for alienating a loyal fanbase of over 15 years is actually nothing.

Raapys

Arcane
Huh? Are we looking at the same metacritic? I'm seeing 178 negative user reviews(vs 129 positive) and an average 4.6 user score.

Love this positive review though:
...It's not a great game, but it's far from bad...
Score given: 9/10

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
I played the introduction and the first level. Within 5 minutes of starting the game, there was already a button-mashing minigame to open a window, that set the pace for what was to come; way too many scripted cutscenes, "edgy" sidekick, shitty corridor design, lack of control and player agency (you can't even lean without an actual wall corner, not to mention the now comical inability to jump anywhere), over-designed UI, ridiculous AI (in the first level's courtyard, you can literally shuffle behind the guard in the grass, standing up, he won't bother turning around unless you directly bump into him), etc. It's every bit as bad as it seemed - it might actually be worse, even. Deadly Shadows is a fucking masterpiece compared to this.

The ironic part is that it also looks pretty bad, popamolers won't bat an eyelash for any of this. So the payoff for alienating a loyal fanbase of over 15 years is actually nothing.

And the walls you can climb are all marked with some sort of white paint, which is hilariously stupid.

I though the game looked fairly decent, character models could be better but the lighting and environments are decent. Runs pretty well, too. A good port for an incredibly shitty game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Reminds me of how you could only climb ledges in FarCry 3 if they were adorned with a few loops of fucking rope. Thanks assholes, I really wanted unrealistic visual prompts strewn about the landscape because you're incapable of fully open level design.

Unlike Thiaf though, FarCry 3 was fairly enjoyable for a decent amount of time. Thank Gaben for Steam sales.

Azazel

Arbiter
What confuses me is the number of accounts on TTLG registered in the late 1990's/early 2000's, and who haven't posted there in 7 or 8 years, but are suddenly coming out of the woodwork to shamelessly shill for this game.

VVVV: That would require a time machine, incredibly poor taste is more likely.

Last edited:

TripJack

Hedonist
What confuses me is the number of accounts on TTLG registered in the late 1990's/early 2000's, and who haven't posted there in 7 or 8 years, but are suddenly coming out of the woodwork to shamelessly shill for this game.
sleeper shills

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I've read in one review that the "loot" you get to collect is so over the place and can be just about ANYTHING, the game should be called Hoardar not Thiaf :M

Supposedly, even old syringes count as loot :M Drugdealar :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom