Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
FeelTheRads You can interact with him more if you don't use a Tidal Surge on him in the first encounter. But he doesn't do much more than say cryptic things. He's a pretty thin character. I don't think he would've made a good companion -- I felt I had exhausted him already -- but who knows?

Jedi Master Radek Sigh. Promotional poster in which the eye is drawn to the world "Failure." :(

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The old portrait of Callistege reminds of some actress who's been on some tv shows and films but cant remember the name or what's she has been in. Frustating.

Peggy Bundy?

5.jpg

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this portrait when it was revealed.

Nah, it was some relatively unknown actress, I have the picture of the actress in my head but can't connect to the name or any role.

Prime Junta

Can u really complete the game without killing anyone?
what about that sphincter scene in the Bloom?

Easy peasy. Just hide and sneak to the sphincter, and use cyphers to buff defence if necessary once you're mobbed while you're taking your time massaging it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
FeelTheRads You can interact with him more if you don't use a Tidal Surge on him in the first encounter. But he doesn't do much more than say cryptic things. He's a pretty thin character. I don't think he would've made a good companion -- I felt I had exhausted him already -- but who knows?

Ah, so you designed him?

I thought he was mysterious in a good way. And I'd have preferred to have him in the party and make up stuff about him in my mind (if there's not much else about him) than the boring stuff the other companions keep babbling about.

Chamezero

I would be more concerned about the "We have 5 gorillion words!". This isn't going to help when everyone is complaining about shitty text.

Hellion

Arcane
Can u really complete the game without killing anyone?
what about that sphincter scene in the Bloom?

Haven't tried it myself, but from what I've gathered
if you haven't angered the Bloom at all during your travels there (e.g. don't use the transdimentional scalpel to open up maws, side with the Bloom Cultists over that scientist, etc) the Sphincter is already relaxed, well-massaged and lubed and you don't even fight to get to the heart. Will have to try that to see if it's true when I feel like doing another playthrough.

Says it all. They think quantity is a substitute for quality. :negative:

I am 100% percent sure that before W2 was finished Fargo was saying that evil publishers are always asking question like "how many weapons the game will have" and contrasted them with gamers who "gets the game". He was making fun of those publishers :)

Habbonovio

Educated
Another question, for those who finished it:

What's the deal with Philetis? He kept popping up saying a word and just disappearing. Did he not like that I used the tides on him or it doesn't matter?
I have the feeling this wouldn't been a much more interesting companion, even if all he did was say random cryptic words.

I'm not using the tides on him cause I've read this thread:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/272270/discussions/0/133258593381903097/

Go to answer #5; must be a lore thing from the Numenera tabletop game.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Well, the philethis is a Numenera creature, and I'm not sure how you would really write one other than how I did it here, so I wouldn't call my work "design" so much as, maybe, execution. You couldn't have the philethis as a companion without having some kind of much more elaborate interaction with it, but I'm not sure how I'd vary those interactions. Probably what I'd do is have it speak gibberish the whole time, which the P.C. never can decipher, but the player can with meta-knowledge. But I think that would get pretty boring.

EDIT: I'd forgotten the "Maroon" thing. I wonder how/whether that got captured in any translations.

Prime Junta

Well, the philethis is a Numenera creature, and I'm not sure how you would really write one other than how I did it here, so I wouldn't call my work "design" so much as, maybe, execution. You couldn't have the philethis as a companion without having some kind of much more elaborate interaction with it, but I'm not sure how I'd vary those interactions. Probably what I'd do is have it speak gibberish the whole time, which the P.C. never can decipher, but the player can with meta-knowledge. But I think that would get pretty boring.

It could be done if you're clever enough. Cf. the Malkavian dialogue and whispering voices.

mastroego

Arcane
If you're going to downvote every website that isn't "anything* goes" like the Codex, you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

*almost

I've started EXACTLY that work and I feel a lot better for it.

Sorry I've been banned/silenced too many times, even when I was entirely polite and careful. It's now clear that mods everywhere use "rules" to censor things that they perceive as harmful.
Fuck 'em.
Also folks in our niche "crpg circle" even have the direct, good example of the Codex and yet those forums persist in the way of the fearful?
Not gonna waste my time there.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
So, do we have any numbers for sales on consoles? I'm getting a lot of good schadenfreude from the steam stats, but I crave more.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

It could be done if you're clever enough. Cf. the Malkavian dialogue and whispering voices.
I'm definitely not clever enough.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you're going to downvote every website that isn't "anything* goes" like the Codex, you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

I've started EXACTLY that work and I feel a lot better for it.

Sorry I've been banned/silenced too many times, even when I was entirely polite and careful. It's now clear that mods everywhere use "rules" to censor things that they perceive as harmful. Fuck 'em. Also folks in our niche "crpg circle" even have the direct, good example of the Codex and yet those forums persist in the way of the fearful? Not gonna waste my time there.
I fully support the exercise of your freedoms and your pursuit of beneficent anarchy.

passerby

Arcane
it's now officially mixed on Steam. :( If they will not include great patches with game play content the game will be good as dead.

Why the sadface ? The shadenfreude brings me calm and joy after wasting 100$ on inEptile and holding off on a refund request before the release, because I've felt bad about it ( lol, nice guy ).

The rage would burn me out from within, if it didn't flopped as hard as it did ( lol, more refunds then purchases on the last day ), now I'm like "this is fine :|"

And no, outside of shitposting in this thread, I didn't do anything that would contribute to this failure.

mastroego

Arcane
I fully support the exercise of your freedoms and your pursuit of beneficent anarchy.
Thanks.
But there's not even need to reach the Codex's extremes.
I have Talisman on Steam, and I've seen the devs there getting a lot of abuse, in particular from a very annoying poster. He even happened to be right in a few instances, but he went into troll territory constantly and even far beyond that.
I wouldn't have been surprised if the devs banned him - actually, I might even have longed for it. But they never did and he still posts in the forum. Sometimes he's even useful again.

My respect for those devs only grew because of that.

Chamezero

I bought the original Torment in 99 with the novel. I didnt spend 50 bucks to read a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ book. This is ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ dialouge heavy. If I wanted a choose your own adventure, I would have bought a ♥♥♥♥ing book. This doesnt even have the same intiracatcy of puzzles the original had. As a matter of fact I havent ran into one yet. This is NOT a video game. This is not even a decent succesor to Torment. Not at all. Unless youre an old school tect gamer, DO NOT buy this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom