Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

Trashos

Arcane
Yeah, if it is 6 turns, it is fine. It has been a while since I played Normal, but I kinda remember me healing multiple times per fight. I probably remember this part wrong (or it has been changed).

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'll start a new playthrough with Expeditions shortly. I'll probably go with an assault rifle/heavy armor build. Any major changes I can expect from the base game?

I am absolutely fucking dense regarding practical use of some Temporal Manipulation abilities.

Can someone explain in simple terms the use, advantages,etc. of

1) Entropic Recurrence

2) Temporary Rewind

3) Psycho-Temporal Dilation?

I am using Premeditation, Psionic Mania coupled with Pyrokinesis and Telekinetic Punch, with the electric trap occasionally and I seem to fare pretty good. Anything that would make use of these even more effective or so?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I am absolutely fucking dense regarding practical use of some Temporal Manipulation abilities.

Can someone explain in simple terms the use, advantages,etc. of

1) Entropic Recurrence

2) Temporary Rewind

3) Psycho-Temporal Dilation?

I am using Premeditation, Psionic Mania coupled with Pyrokinesis and Telekinetic Punch, with the electric trap occasionally and I seem to fare pretty good. Anything that would make use of these even more effective or so?

Dilation is to slow enemies. Melee are easer to kite.

Reccurence is great skill, use your strongest attack, than use this to repeat damage, ignoring shields/resistances.

Rewind is niche ability, have some uses but rare. For example, use it than use skill that damages for % of target hp.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Nope. Roleplay only. It could mean though if you make a seriously badass suit of riot armor you could ostensibly focus on dex and then simply run through natives like shit through a goose. Use a custom 44 with explosive ammo to take guys out from afar, and then chop em up.

Tygrende

Arbiter
any point of a sword/pistol build, except roleplay?
They were not exactly made for each other but there is some faint synergy, kinda. Pistols synergize with investing into melee through the Gun-Fu feat, which adds 40% of melee skill to your attacks with pistols in melee range. But then you run into a problem - if the bonus is applied to pistol attacks in melee range, why even bother with the sword at all? One reason is for riposte/parry. Attack with the pistol, switch to the sword at the end of your turn, enjoy increased protection vs. melee and a free sword attack on your next turn. Captain's cutlass would be especially good for this - 50% more damage blocked by parry and up to 3 free attacks. Another reason is to use the sword for decapitations. Swords are more effective for those rare moments when the enemy is wearing an anti-rifle vest, too, or when you don't feel like reloading.

Tygrende

Arbiter
decapitation needs 7 str which is a heavy cost to pay.
It's a bit less of an investment if you also go for steadfast aim which requires 5 STR. No investment at all if you decide to wear metal. The build was not going to be optimal anyways.

Parabalus

Arcane
any point of a sword/pistol build, except roleplay?
They were not exactly made for each other but there is some faint synergy, kinda. Pistols synergize with investing into melee through the Gun-Fu feat, which adds 40% of melee skill to your attacks with pistols in melee range. But then you run into a problem - if the bonus is applied to pistol attacks in melee range, why even bother with the sword at all? One reason is for riposte/parry. Attack with the pistol, switch to the sword at the end of your turn, enjoy increased protection vs. melee and a free sword attack on your next turn. Captain's cutlass would be especially good for this - 50% more damage blocked by parry and up to 3 free attacks. Another reason is to use the sword for decapitations. Swords are more effective for those rare moments when the enemy is wearing an anti-rifle vest, too, or when you don't feel like reloading.

Note that this is strictly LARP, it's worse than dodge/uncanny.

And without 2 swords you can't switch to a better one to riposte, you're stuck with the shitty cutlass, so it's even worse.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Never got around to playing a non-alpha character. Think I'm going to go with this build I workshopped in the thread earlier, around the time Expeditions was released. It's a sneaky thrower/smg utility glass cannon build. Only playing on Hard w/ oddity, if anyone sees anything really off just lmk.

https://underrail.info/build/?GgMMCgQHAwd4bgAAKADCh2U8JhlfX1swXwAAAABDAAAmOzkwFjcdR0lPU8KFQT7Cs9-_

start: 3/7/9/4/7/3/7

agrils underrail build.png

Never got around to playing a non-alpha character. Think I'm going to go with this build I workshopped in the thread earlier, around the time Expeditions was released. It's a sneaky thrower/smg utility glass cannon build. Only playing on Hard w/ oddity, if anyone sees anything really off just lmk.

https://underrail.info/build/?GgMMCgQHAwd4bgAAKADCh2U8JhlfX1swXwAAAABDAAAmOzkwFjcdR0lPU8KFQT7Cs9-_
Crafting skills are higher than they need to be once you take house crafting bonuses+hypercerebrix+engineer suit boosts into account. Lockpicking and hacking are a little too high too. You could lower all of them a little without losing anything and then max out guns and stealth, and still have a bunch of spare points left over to put into mercantile or evasion or something instead.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Con to 3, remove Interloper, remove Uncanny dodge etc.
Increase Guns (why they are not maxed?).

Easier to remake build

agris

Arcane
Patron
Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There is a list of people from whom you should never take build advice, and on this list you'll find absolutely everyone who's ever recommended dropping Interloper.

Not having to creep around at a snail's pace isn't merely a convenience, though it is also that—importantly, it allows you to sneak by and through areas much more safely and easily in spite of patrolling enemies, bump-inducing critters/minions, lurking crawlers, etc.

I've specialized Interloper to +10 with my sniper, and I'm playing on Hard. I move faster in stealth than tin cans can walk normally, even with squeak boots. Moving in slow motion is dangerous. Speed is life. None of these on-paper min-maxers have ever taken Interloper, let alone specialized in it, and they apparently can't conceive of the benefits.

I don't think I'd recommend specializing Interloper on a close-in build, however. I chose to do so with my sniper because it leaves me with 35 MP + Sprint after using Snipe.

The only reason to skip Interloper is if you're only dipping into stealth sparingly and contextually. Otherwise, I consider it a must.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
There is a list of people from whom you should never take build advice, and on this list you'll find absolutely everyone who's ever recommended dropping Interloper.

Tested Interloper and than never used it in 10+ full runs on Dominating.
You really do not need it, you have enough stealth to pass all encounters you want (even cloaking device is not really needed though you can use it for extra 70+ stealt).

For someone who played on hard once and did not master game mechanics, you have loud mouth and you are not in position to tell others from whom someone should take advise or not.

Not having to creep around at a snail's pace isn't merely a convenience, though it is also that—importantly, it allows you to sneak by and through areas much more safely and easily in spite of patrolling enemies, bump-inducing critters/minions, lurking crawlers, etc.

Why would you always move in stealth? Only use when enemies nearby.

I don't think I'd recommend specializing Interloper on a close-in build, however. I chose to do so with my sniper because it leaves me with 35 MP + Sprint after using Snipe.

If you invested in shooting spree and +crit damage fear you would not need those extra 15 mp from interloper at all. You can reliably kill 5 enemies in first turn as sniper user. And if someone survives and want those mp, you get +30 mp from Contraction and even extra +10 mp from jumping bean. Together with sprint they give 60 mp.

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Con to 3, remove Interloper, remove Uncanny dodge etc.
What would you replace interloper and uncanncy dodge with for a sneaky bursty throw-y type?

edit: ambush could fit this build, replacing interloper. I think i'll have to get some playtime under my belt to decide if Uncanny Dodge is worth it or not.

https://underrail.info/build/?GgMNCgMHAwfCjG4AACgowoxfNyYZU1NQKVMAAAAAQwAAJjs5MBY3RwJJT1PChUE-wrPfvw

If you play from stealth high DPS build, you should not get hit at all. Even if you get some hits, shield capacity should be enough. So Uncanny dodge is just wasting feat slot and feats are precious in Underrail.

Also always max main weapon skills in Underrail (throwing past 100+ only if you use knives as main dmg and heavily rely on grenades), guns should be always max priority if you use SMG as main dmg.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

start: 3/7/9/4/7/3/7

View attachment 23703

Just noticed that you do not have this

https://www.stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Psycho-temporal_Contraction

First advise would be to grab it, you cant go wrong with using it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Whisper I appreciate that you're trying to help me, but it seems as if you have a different build in mind than I do. My build doesn't have any psi.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Tested Interloper and than never used it in 10+ full runs on Dominating.

I don't give a flying fuck about Dominating. Dominating is primarily for autistic sadists who for some bizarre reason believe that anyone actually gives a damn what they can slog through utilizing the cheesiest tactics, most tortuous min-maxed builds, and most meta strategies available.

If you play Dominating in order to challenge yourself and to see what's possible at the extremes, that's fine. If you play it because you need people to know that you play on Dominating, are unable to stop talking about Dominating, and use Dominating as the be-all, end-all yardstick for balance and build quality, then frankly I pity you. Being too proud of beating a hard computer game is a great example of being both a winner and a loser at the same time.

If you really are just so good at the game that Dominating is the new Normal for you, then you should have no trouble at all dropping one of the min-maxed feats from your 18 DEX / 3 CON / 3 PER / Versatility / Crawler save-scum autistic sadist build and take Interloper instead. Think of it as making Dominating challenging for you, the awesome expert gamer, all over again.

The game wasn't designed to be played on Dominating. Styg has said so, the description of the difficulty mode says so, the content of the difficulty mode makes it apparent, and the fact that 50%+ of the feats in this game go ignored by Dominating fetishists in favor of overwhelming power combos makes it apparent. Nor are the higher difficulty modes fine-tuned. The arbitrary slash-and-burn adjustment of values (400% this, 50% that) is not expertly tuned to be just right. It's shotgunned for those who crave additional difficulty, but Normal is the default, and Hard is for those who are seasoned. Styg is well aware that too much development time spent fine-tuning every aspect of higher difficulty modes is a waste, but he did add some extra content to Dominating, possibly out of sheer awe for you sadists.

You really do not need it, you have enough stealth to pass all encounters you want (even cloaking device is not really needed though you can use it for extra 70+ stealt).

See, the thing is, I'm aware that my meta-skillmaxing (just enough Lockpicking and Hacking to open all pre-DC containers while wearing X and Y pieces of gear, etc.) is kind of asinine, and not really the sole and only way to play the game. It's a guilty pleasure. I like to do it, but I don't recommend it to others.

But you and your ilk who metamax every aspect of your build for Dominating and then shamelessly refuse to discuss any other way of making builds or playing the game are absolutely obnoxious. Frankly, you all should have your own dedicated subforum wherein you can jerk each other off about how great it is that Dominating is no problem for you and your metamaxed builds that include not a single suboptimal feat or one wasted skill point.

Healthy, completely normal people do enjoy playing suboptimal and/or messy builds on Hard, or even Normal (GASP!) if they only want a little bit of challenge, or if their build is particularly pathetic combat-wise.

For someone who played on hard once and did not master game mechanics, you have loud mouth and you are not in position to tell others from whom someone should take advise or not.

I've mastered every aspect of the game mechanics. I could beat the game on Dominating, but I don't want to. Get that through your head.

When you are dead, no one will remember or care that you beat Underrail on Dominating. In fact, even your fellow Dominating fetishists, right now in the present, spend exactly 0% of their time thinking about how great you are at Dominating. They're too busy wondering how impressed everyone is that THEY play on Dominating.

Indeed, the only way to make anyone care that you play Dominating is to be obnoxious about it, but at that point people only care that you're being obnoxious. Hence, really, no one cares.

Why would you always move in stealth? Only use when enemies nearby.

Obviously. But I can move THROUGH an entire group of enemies if I choose, even Death Stalkers, before I'm spotted because I'm not moving at a slow crawl. I can flit around setting up traps here and there, quickly, without getting bumped by some random dog moving five times faster than I am.

If you invested in shooting spree and +crit damage fear you would not need those extra 15 mp from interloper at all.

I did.

You can reliably kill 5 enemies in first turn as sniper user.

Save-scummer detected. I fucking knew it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom