Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

I think everyone should be able to agree that some psi abilities at least should be buffed. What are you even meant to use temporary rewind for? If it didn't take a slot and was automatically innervated I'd still never cast it, because I don't even see any purpose. The point of slots is that you're meant to think about what to equip. If some powers are absolute shit and never worth equipping then that kinda ruins it. If they got buffed to all be good then the problem of people picking the good powers and ignoring the useless ones wouldn't exist because there wouldn't be any useless ones to ignore.

Sykar

Arcane
One of the big PSI guides on the Underrail forums:
https://stygiansoftware.com/forums/index.php?topic=4149.0

Excerpts:
General Info
With psi points now being globally scarce, and psi ability variety being restricted during combat, it is now extremely important that a "full psi" build be highly efficient. Not only do we need to specialize in our desired school and abilities, we need to make sure that we use them in maximally efficient ways. The good news? The learning curve for psi just got very, very flat. The bad news? Unless you just want to challenge yourself, there is now One Correct Way To Play Psi (though depending on what school(s) you want to focus most on, the specifics change slightly).

Of course calling the new PSI learning curve "flat" is an understatement. It is brain dead once you get a a rudamentary grasp on it. Personally I do not consider this a positive either.

Example build gameplay:
Innervate Cryokinesis, Thermodynamic Destabilization, Pyrokinesis, and Pyrokinetic Stream. Find a chokepoint, and lay down as many bear traps as necessary to make yourself safe. Now, make some noise; you might use a grenade, or perhaps you'd like to carry around a firearm. In any event, what you want is to gather enemies up, which the AI will gladly do. At this point, you should
Place ThermoD on the highest health enemy you can easily kill and which is near the middle of the group (5-10 AP, 30 base psi cost)
Cast Cryokinesis on the target most likely to survive the explosion (7-10AP with unspecced Thermodynamicity, 15 base psi cost)
Throw a grenade (15 AP)
and if necessary,
Premeditate a Pyrokinesis (0 AP, 20 base psi cost with unspecced Premeditation)
After the explosion, as needed
Cast Cryokinesis (7-10AP, 15 base psi) on any stubborn survivors and if you like
Throw another grenade, or
Cast Pyrokinetic Stream.

Congratulations! You have mastered New Psi!

The changes were heavily critizised from day one on the Underrail forum:
https://stygiansoftware.com/forums/index.php?topic=5732.45
The new psi system will now allow 8 slots.

Are pure psi and psi hybrid viable and effective under the new system, even on dominating?
Yes.

A special mention of Force Field for psi hybrid - under the new system FF will get you kill and is not worth using for 3 WIL psi hybrid and I permanently taken it out of my loadout as a result.

However with the max 8 slots limit, a lot of psi abilities will never get use now.

- Psi-cognitive Interruption, great for npc, almost useless for player. It was maybe useful for taken one psi enemy out before the change (X: doubt) but now the opportunity cost of having it taking up one valuable slot is way too great.

- Neurovisual Disruption: probably maybe useful for psi hybrid that want to snipe next turn, but even that is doubtful as you can just use 5 more AP to enter stealth mode and save up a valuable slot.

- Force Emission: not that great before the change but now absolutely garbage under new system.

- Disruptive Field: super useful before against ranged with its long range and low cost, now again the opportunity cost of having this take up a slot is too great, will never get use.

- Cryo-Shield: opportunity cost, never get use, you get the idea.

- Psycho-temporal Dilation: situationally useful before change, now oc, never get use. I'm a broken record

- Entropic Recurrence: hard to use before, now absolutely garbage under new system, oc, never get use. You know the drill.

- Temporary Rewind: same as above.

- Precognition: I occasionally turn this on before the change hope RNG goddess will smile upon me. Now? Please, oc, never get use, blah blah.

This is at least 9 psi abilities out of 32 available that will never get use due to opportunity cost at a staggering rate of 28.125%. Styg you said you want to expand the psi system, but what's the point of adding new spell if it'll either:
1) never get use because slots are valuable and it's simply not good enough to make the loadout, or
2) It's very good and a must have to be included squeezing another spell out of loadout making the old spell effectively window dressing

See for me, when I play full psi the fun comes from using specific spells under specific condition or using spells unconventionally to giving me an edge: Pre-casting Pseudo-spatial Projection and Cryo-Shield before a tough fight, Disruptive field against a sniper/xbow taking this one enemy out of the fight for several turns, cryostasis/cryo-shield against that native boss using exothermic aura, ThermoD to take out enemies' cryo-shield, Stasis to take out an enemies' pseudo-spatial projection, force field blocking npc into a far corner so he can't yell for friends, FF moving NPC to pickpocket him, cryo-shield yourself when you are on fire, etc.

The above situations do not happen all the time and occurred every once in a while. They added variety and made things fun. With the new system there's simply no place for these kinds of shenanigans now. This is why pure psi are less fun and boring now - you are doing the same thing over and over in order to be viable and effective. It does not make sense to innervated these spells to prepare for an edge case that might never come.

I prepose all psi user getting a free ability once you take the psi pill that will allow the casting of a single non-innervated spell at various cost and/or penalties with the ability itself having a cooldown of 50 ~ 200 turns to cover these edge cases.

On the topic of fun, I do have more comment on this as it had been bugging me for a while now:

There's a very thin line between having challenging mechanics and annoying, extra tedious "work".
The increased weight of repair kits means you need to return to base for repair far more often, breaking game flow making it annoying. Seriously have you try playing a pure AR tin can and watch your gun's durability take a sky dive after every fight? Or play a 3 STR SMG char trying to use trap? Locus? I know they were reduced after much outcry. A certain powerplant not letting you power everything in one go? I know you are trying to drain player resources by making them backtrack to confer a sense of hopelessness and dread - but all these changes and the design philosophy behind them, imho, had crossed this line and ventured firmly into annoying, tedious territory making the game feels like work sometimes and do not, again imho, increase the fun and challenge of the game. This trend is indeed worrying especially with Infusion currently under development and I suspect Styg is using Underrail as a test bed for future system.

and

Let's take a look at the spells for pure psi:

Telekinetic Punch
Telekinetic Proxy
Implosion
These three are the bread and butter vs. single target

Thermodynamic Destabilization
Add in thermoD and you are cover on AOE

Psycho-temporal Contraction
Stasis
PTC for AP/MP, Stasis as reliable panic button.

That's already 6 of the 8 slots taken, if you are running psychosis build you 100% want:
Cryokinetic Orb

Now you have 1 slot remaining, please discuss how you could justify choosing those edge case spells over the following:
Cryostasis
Pyrokinesis
Force Field
Electrokinesis
Electrokinetic Imprint
Limited Temporal Increment (a must if you also take Grenadier)

Let's say you are running Trans psi build, and forever reason(s) you don't pick up Cryo orb, again please explain why you'll choose those edge case spells over the above objectively better spells.

Or if you have some alternative loadout for pure psi that would take edge case spell as core spells I would love to hear it.

Alright let's look at 3 WIL psi hybrid:
I'm running 6 or 7 INT for Premeditation and crafting related spells, force field is out due to it's low hp and unreliability. I have 5 slots, a typical load out would be:
Thermodynamic Destabilization + Limited Temporal Increment (w/ Grenadier I have triple explosions within 2 turns, the most effective combo hands down)
Psycho-temporal Contraction (for AP + MP)
Stasis (panic button)

So with the one slot remaining, what would you pick and what's your reasoning?
For me it's one of the following:
Cryostasis - great silent control
Electrokinesis - build specific such as pistol build would use this to execute, otherwise use as stun on demand
Electrokinetic Imprint - instant trap

Again the edge case spells are not even worth considering due to opportunity cost. If there's some factor I'm not considering where edge case spells should be consider as core spells please post them.

Suggestions to reduce for example tedium also have been made:
https://stygiansoftware.com/forums/index.php?board=2.80

Or for weak Psionics:
https://stygiansoftware.com/forums/index.php?topic=7687.0

PSI slot count:
https://stygiansoftware.com/forums/index.php?topic=7675.0
https://stygiansoftware.com/forums/index.php?topic=5938.0

PResets, again to combat mind numbing tedium:
https://stygiansoftware.com/forums/index.php?topic=5876.0

Black Angel

Arcane
I just don't get where all the hate comes from.
If you would at least understand what's the problem(s) with the new system, then you'll know there's no hate at all, only genuine concern with what direction Styg and co is taking their games to.

Also, please don't conflate criticisms with hate/hatred, it's very un-Codexian and only the normies would ever conflate criticisms with hate/hatred.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have no idea why the fuck Sykar is sounding some vitriolic and genuinely buttmad at the entire dev team haha. To be frank, I don't understand what all these complaints are about. The new system is fine to me and I've a decent amount of these so called "useless" skills on various builds throughout dominating. All of the skills listed below are actually things I've innervate and used on a dominating viable build.
Metathermics
Pyrokinesis
Pyrokinetic Stream
Exothermic Aura
Cryokinesis
Cryostasis
Cryokinetic Orb
Plasma Beam

Psychokinesis
Telekinetic Punch
Forcefield
Telekinetic Grounding
Force Emission
Telekinetic Proxy
Electrokinesis
Electrokinetic Imprint
Psychokinetic Chain

Thought Control
Neural Overload
Frighten
Mental Breakdown
Bilocation
Enrage
Pseudospatial Projection

Temporal Manipulation
Temporal Distortion
Stasis
Limited Temporal Incriment

There are 38 Psi skills in the game, and I've used 25 of them, which means 65% of all Psi skills are usable in various builds that are all strong enough to beat the game on its strongest difficulty, without having to resort to serious cheesing. When I look at the rest of the skills that I haven't been able to fit into my builds, there are honestly very few that I would even include into my repertoire if I had the open innervation slots to use them. I don't understand what we're complaining about. Are we complaining about the Psi rework which made niche abilities nonviable? Well I've listed a shit ton of abilities are all viable and used in various different dominating builds (the vast majority of them being builds that aren't even focused around being a Psi wizard), and the rest are so bad I'd never use them even if I had the opportunity to use them. Are we complaining about some Psi abilities only being useful to certain builds? Well what's wrong with that? That's what makes the game fucking great, theory crafting a build to use something like force emissions and enjoying the pay off when it works. Are we complaining about how some Psi abilities aren't good? There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I'd be upset if all the Psi abilities were extremely good. Some of these abilities are meant to be used sub optimally early into the game until a newer player finds a better ability. I know we've all played this fucking game a hundred times and know where all the good shit is, but to a new player, these in between abilities that are sub optimal are vital to crafting an immersive and rewarding game experience.

Don't get me wrong, changes and improvements can certainly be made to Psi, and some abilities could be made way better with certain changes (implementing waterways into the game for people that have expedition directly after Depot A instead of having to join Aegis would do a shit ton for Cryogenic Barrier to name just one example off the top of my head), but all these complaints seem super overblown.

Edit: Also, inhalants are good and better balance Psi, as well as adding in further gold sinks into the economy. Change my mind.

Parabalus

Arcane
I have no idea why the fuck Sykar is sounding some vitriolic and genuinely buttmad at the entire dev team haha. To be frank, I don't understand what all these complaints are about. The new system is fine to me and I've a decent amount of these so called "useless" skills on various builds throughout dominating. All of the skills listed below are actually things I've innervate and used on a dominating viable build.
Metathermics
Pyrokinesis
Pyrokinetic Stream
Exothermic Aura
Cryokinesis
Cryostasis
Cryokinetic Orb
Plasma Beam

Psychokinesis
Telekinetic Punch
Forcefield
Telekinetic Grounding
Force Emission
Telekinetic Proxy
Electrokinesis
Electrokinetic Imprint
Psychokinetic Chain

Thought Control
Neural Overload
Frighten
Mental Breakdown
Bilocation
Enrage
Pseudospatial Projection

Temporal Manipulation
Temporal Distortion
Stasis
Limited Temporal Incriment

There are 38 Psi skills in the game, and I've used 25 of them, which means 65% of all Psi skills are usable in various builds that are all strong enough to beat the game on its strongest difficulty, without having to resort to serious cheesing. When I look at the rest of the skills that I haven't been able to fit into my builds, there are honestly very few that I would even include into my repertoire if I had the open innervation slots to use them. I don't understand what we're complaining about. Are we complaining about the Psi rework which made niche abilities nonviable? Well I've listed a shit ton of abilities are all viable and used in various different dominating builds (the vast majority of them being builds that aren't even focused around being a Psi wizard), and the rest are so bad I'd never use them even if I had the opportunity to use them. Are we complaining about some Psi abilities only being useful to certain builds? Well what's wrong with that? That's what makes the game fucking great, theory crafting a build to use something like force emissions and enjoying the pay off when it works. Are we complaining about how some Psi abilities aren't good? There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I'd be upset if all the Psi abilities were extremely good. Some of these abilities are meant to be used sub optimally early into the game until a newer player finds a better ability. I know we've all played this fucking game a hundred times and know where all the good shit is, but to a new player, these in between abilities that are sub optimal are vital to crafting an immersive and rewarding game experience.

Don't get me wrong, changes and improvements can certainly be made to Psi, and some abilities could be made way better with certain changes (implementing waterways into the game for people that have expedition directly after Depot A instead of having to join Aegis would do a shit ton for Cryogenic Barrier to name just one example off the top of my head), but all these complaints seem super overblown.

Edit: Also, inhalants are good and better balance Psi, as well as adding in further gold sinks into the economy. Change my mind.

How does this address anyone's complaints?

Problem with the new system is that it, even more than before, encourages just doing the shit over and over.

It also adds to the metagaming experience, since you can no longer adapt on the fly if you didn't pre-invoke.

dominating viable build

This isn't a difficulty issue.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Problem with the new system is that it, even more than before, encourages just doing the same thing over and over.
The new system does encourage focusing in on some specific Psi abilities and locks out certain builds from using other abilities that might have a more niche benefit to said specific build, but I don't see why that's a bad thing. My whole point is that by introducing the Psi changes, the issue of Psi being a swiss army knife of utility with almost no investment is addressed, and almost all the Psi skills that are good can still easily be fit into plenty of very good builds.

Even before the new system, how often would abilities that were niche to a certain build be used? Five times? Ten times? Miss me with that shit. Any other complaints?
dominating viable build

This isn't a difficulty issue.
I bring up dominating viable builds not to make a point about difficulty but to introduce some credibility to my claim that the Psi abilities I listed are useful in many builds and not hampered by the introduction of the new Psi changes. I was also addressing Sykar's claim that half the Psi skills are useless, which is just not true.

Parabalus

Arcane
Problem with the new system is that it, even more than before, encourages just doing the same thing over and over.
The new system does encourage focusing in on some specific Psi abilities and locks out certain builds from using other abilities that might have a more niche benefit to said specific build, but I don't see why that's a bad thing. My whole point is that by introducing the Psi changes, the issue of Psi being a swiss army knife of utility with almost no investment is addressed, and almost all the Psi skills that are good can still easily be fit into plenty of very good builds.

Even before the new system, how often would abilities that were niche to a certain build be used? Five times? Ten times? Miss me with that shit. Any other complaints?

The old system also encouraged focusing, since you are spending feats and spec points on the abilities you spam.

The swiss army knife of utility wasn't addressed in any way, lots of 3 WILL dips abound.
They got buffed, relatively compared to wizards, so it was actually made even worse. Maybe fix the broken resistance checks instead?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
The old system also encouraged focusing, since you are spending feats and spec points on the abilities you spam.
Using the skills your build is planned around doesn't mean the old system encouraged focusing. I found, with the introduction of the new Psi mechanics, I had to carefully plan what Psi abilities would go into what innervation slots, and whether I'd want to invest into more intelligence or specific gear to expand said pool of slots to fit other useful Psi skills in. This adds a lot of meaningful choice and consequence to the game, and the pool of psi skills is broad enough even with just 6 Int that hybrid builds that want to push several different niches aren't totally fucked. I wouldn't be opposed to perhaps giving people on more inherent slot, but you lot are over exaggerating things greatly, and stretching the truth where it best serves your argument.
The swiss army knife of utility wasn't addressed in any way, lots of 3 WILL dips abound.
Not at all what I'm talking about. There are people that dip into Psi, but what I'm specific referring to was Cave Wizards that had access to every single utility Psi spell in the book. At least now there are meaningful restrictions that make sense within the context of the game.

Zeem

Learned
I’ve mentioned it before, but instead of slots, I think a point buy system would work better for limiting psi abilities. More powerful psi abilities would cost more points to inervate and less powerful niche abilities would require less points. This way you wouldn’t be able to load up on all the most powerful psi abilities from each school, but you also wouldn’t be fucking over niche abilities like distortion field.

So....what? You now have a choice of, say, 4 abilities you'll need all the time or 8 abilities you need very rarely?

That seems like it would just exacerbate the problem. Not fix it.

Of course, it'd work if you just upped the ante on how many "powerful" abilities you could have. Like 8 maximum. Then you could have 4 "powerful" abilities and like 8 "weaker" abilities. Or whatever combination thereof.

But that seems WAY overly complicated when you could just up the number of slots period and do essentially the same thing without making it over-complicated.
With more slots you'd just equip all the powerful abilities and forget about the niche ones. You're still limited by AP and psi, so you wouldn't be able to make full use of your expanded arsenal anyway.

jackofshadows

Magister
Except most builds didn't work like the current Psi. Like I said, imagine exhausting your entire assault rifle's durability for whenever you're reloading your ammos or changing your ammo types, that's how the current psi works for whenever you're changing your innervation setups (I'm pretty sure someone else already said this). Also, most builds could easily change their belt arrangement with whatever combat utilities they need ('nades, throwing knives, special bolts, cloaking devices etc etc), or put on specific headbands/armor-clothing/boots, or switch their weapons....at absolutely NO costs at all, AND they could do it in combat, with AP costs...which can be reduced with Quick Pockets (and further reduced with speccing into it). Not for psi with the current psi system, oh no. You CAN'T switch innervation setup in-combat, and when you get out of combat and do switch, you're exhausting ALL of your psi reserves and ALL of your psi points.
That's not a correct comparison. Psi reserves kinda equate weap durability - yes but with the difference that once you exhausted say your AR during the fight you can just whip out a next one while pure-psi user is fucked although that would be an extreme example. Otherwise even with the current implementation psi provides far more broader/flexible toolset than whichever 2 weapons/ammos "usual builds" have. Besides, no one is bound to use psi powers only - that's why your addressing to combat utilities is irrelevant: psi users can use them too, obviously. Actually, the fact that previously psi-users could easily manage without those utilities only further highlights just how ridiculously broad/flexible their toolset was. I agree with you that in theory the psi changes could use some work (in practice - fuck that, hope that the next update will be truly the last one) but I'm surely glad the psi state has been addressed, after all.
I just don't get where all the hate comes from.
The timing of said addressing was really bad. You could think that it wasn't that bad since it was after the expansion release so now we have like two slightly different games for the price of one but look at our friend here. He's so concerned that new psi-enthusiasts will experience flat learning curve, that's touching. It's so much worse than playing and realizing after some time that all you can choose is 2 builds to play, I can't even.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
No changes to psi in the next update. I'm pretty content with the system itself.

I think everyone should be able to agree that some psi abilities at least should be buffed.

Agreed. If I do come around to working on psi in the future, this is probably the thing that's going to be addressed.

Why Temporal school has 2 less psi abilities than other 3 schools?

CHEMS

Scholar
I like how psi is currently done, no need to mess with it

Now gimme machine guns and give enemies plasma grenades!

Zeem

Learned
Merry Christmas to my boys. I won't return on Discord any time soon cause I'm kind of busy right now.
Merry Christmas and a happy new year, mate! Glad to hear you're still alive, at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom