Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming Fall 2024

With no developer announced, no leaks? No chance.
Tango Gameworks's Hi-Fi Rush was released the very day it was announced.
Yeah, but no one gave a damn nor was looking forward for it, either.

A “leak” would have been welcomed with a “Wow, really? Now please help us carry all these fucks we don’t give about it”.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, but no one gave a damn nor was looking forward for it, either.

A “leak” would have been welcomed with a “Wow, really? Now please help us carry all these fucks we don’t give about it”.
The reason they kept it a secret was because they were concerned about the backlash since it was so unlike their previous games.

It was also a hit (a lot of people crowed about how it demolished Forspoken). Just because you personally don't care about it doesn't mean a lot of other people don't. :P

sosmoflux

Educated
With no developer announced, no leaks? No chance.
Tango Gameworks's Hi-Fi Rush was released the very day it was announced.
Chad Japanese honor and quietly humble culture vs Virgin American't low trust society full of backstabbers, clout chasers and mindrotted sjws
If we we close to an actual release there would be leaks & all sorts of marketing and astroturfed drama

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chad Japanese honor and quietly humble culture vs Virgin American't low trust society full of backstabbers and mindrotted sjws
I see what you're saying here, but no one involved in this is American. :P Paradox is Swedish, the alleged new studio is British.

The reason they kept it a secret was because
I don't give a shit. That wasn't my point.
The point is that no one would have cared even remotely to begin with.

Also, contrarily to your claim the game wasn't exactly a smashing hit, either. It grabbed some headlines at first for the unusual way it was announced and because it was genuinely fun, but sales in the end turned out to be quite underwhelming.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Also, contrarily to your claim the game wasn't exactly a smashing hit, either. It grabbed some headlines at first for the unusual way it was announced and because it was genuinely fun, but sales in the end turned out to be quite underwhelming.
Xbox Exclusive Hi-Fi RUSH Has Now Surpassed 3 Million Players

That's a hit. Bloodlines 2 could wish to have 3 million players. The original game only sold 72,000 in the US when Troika shut down and Steam sales estimates for the 15+ years it's been out and heavily discounted aren't exactly stellar
488.8 k .. 1.22 M on reviews
~1.98 M by PlayTracker
~637.4 k by VG Insights
~665.0 k by SteamSpy

Cross

Arcane
Xbox Exclusive Hi-Fi RUSH Has Now Surpassed 3 Million Players

That's a hit. Bloodlines 2 could wish to have 3 million players. The original game only sold 72,000 in the US when Troika shut down and Steam sales estimates for the 15+ years it's been out and heavily discounted aren't exactly stellar
488.8 k .. 1.22 M on reviews
~1.98 M by PlayTracker
~637.4 k by VG Insights
~665.0 k by SteamSpy
It doesn't say it sold 3 million copies, but that it had 3 million players. Something being Game Pass fodder doesn't mean it was commercially successful.

Though I'm loath to trust game journalists, it was reported that it flopped.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/c...-money-it-needed-to-make-report/1100-6513467/

Critically Acclaimed Hi-Fi Rush "Didn't Make The Money It Needed To Make" - Report​

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That article includes a quote from an executive who says Grubb is talking nonsense. The whole point of Game Pass is that these smaller titles don't need to sell big. If millions of people play it, it's a success. Same deal with Pentiment.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol. Plaions who? I tried Google searching for it 3 times with no results before I gave up. Like it's never happened before that some store somewhere made up a release date.

Cross

Arcane
That article includes a quote from an executive who says Grubb is talking nonsense.
Yeah, and that quote is what makes me really believe it flopped.
Xbox games marketing VP Aaron Greenberg refuted that Hi-Fi Rush had disappointed Microsoft, saying it was a "breakout hit for us and our players in all key measurements and expectations." He did not specify what those internal expectations were, specifically.

"It was a massive success but we can't tell you how or give you any explanation for how it succeeded, but trust us guys" isn't convincing. Unless you're you, I guess.

The whole point of Game Pass is that these smaller titles don't need to sell big. If millions of people play it, it's a success. Same deal with Pentiment.
You're assuming most of those 3 million players subscribed to Game Pass specifically to play Hi-Fi RUSH, rather than already being subscribers to begin with.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
lol. Plaions who? I tried Google searching for it 3 times with no results before I gave up. Like it's never happened before that some store somewhere made up a release date.
Check https://plaion.com/ and specifically https://shop.plaion.com/shop/de_DE/catdet.html?nav1=GAME&nav2=ALL Plaion is Paradox's publishing partner on Bloodlines. They don't just sell any games, they specifically sell the games they're in charge of publishing.

"It was a massive success but we can't tell you how or give you any explanation for how it succeeded, but trust us guys" isn't convincing. Unless you're you, I guess.
Consumers don't need to know this information.

You're assuming most of those 3 million players subscribed to Game Pass specifically to play Hi-Fi RUSH, rather than already being subscribers to begin with.

??? The point is to keep people subscribed, not to get new subscribers. It'd be absolutely unsustainable if every new game was expected to get millions of new subscribers.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
October? I would never have guessed.

I think the game will be so bad that I have to try it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some the game is gonna get rushed for Halloween and will be a bugged mess? Nice to know.
I mean it has been 2½ years since the change in developer. I'm not saying it won't be buggy, and I'm not saying it will; but a working game certainly could have been built in that time.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Some the game is gonna get rushed for Halloween and will be a bugged mess? Nice to know.
I mean it has been 2½ years since the change in developer. I'm not saying it won't be buggy, and I'm not saying it will; but a working game certainly could have been built in that time.

Yeah, but the games that have been in made in that timeframe that are good are usually very different things, like platformers or so

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I am super skeptical but also excited. The popcorn gods have blessed us this year. JA3, BG3, Starfield and VtMB2 in the same year?

There will be fighting in the threads until well into next year.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Herumor

Scholar
I wonder if it's gonna have a worse gameplay and story than that Swansong game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom