Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
Also Commoragh isn't just a single place. It's a labyrinth of portals and gateways. Two places may seem adjacent in Commoragh, but in actual fact are light years apart, and can be separated and reattached to the rest of the Dark City at will.
nothing more dakka can't solve

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Also Commoragh isn't just a single place. It's a labyrinth of portals and gateways. Two places may seem adjacent in Commoragh, but in actual fact are light years apart, and can be separated and reattached to the rest of the Dark City at will.
I do believe that's exactly the kind of problem you can't solve with dakka. If you can't navigate the secret paths of the webway you won't have anything to shoot. :negative:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Official release:

https://www.gamespress.com/Explore-the-Koronus-Expanse-in-new-Warhammer-40000-Rogue-Trader-traile
Nicosia, Cyprus — 19 April 2023: Owlcat Games is excited to present their new trailer featuring previously unseen environments and locations from Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader. With this trailer, the team wants to show how they recreate the iconic Warhammer 40,000 atmosphere from an isometric point of view: gothic architecture, industrial yet dilapidated cities, and straight-up nightmarish penal colonies. Everything that Warhammer 40,000 is known and loved for. All aspiring Rogue Traders will find themselves mesmerised by the exploration of these vast areas such as the Starport on the planet Rykad Minoris, where giant statues of fallen heroes are intermixed with starship wreckage and destroyed infrastructure.

The biggest reveal of this trailer is one of the most extraordinary areas in the game: Commorragh, the Dark CityCity, located in the depths of the Webway. This place is home to the Drukhari, a treacherous xenos faction infamous for its love inflicting pain on the many victims captured during their raids into realspace. This is a legendary location for any Warhammer 40,000 fan, utterly overflowing with lore. For the first time in Warhammer 40,000 video game history, players will bear witness to the shadowy citadel of the Kabals, Wych Cults, and Covens, where they will be forced to endure endless horrors and fight for their very existence.

All Warhammer fans attending Warhammer Fest in person from Saturday, April 29, to Monday, May 1, 2023, in Manchester will be the first to see the Cassia statue — the highlight of the Collector’s Edition.

The Steam and GOG wishlists are already opened for the eagerly-anticipated title.

Fans can support the game right now by purchasing a Founder’s Pack and becoming part of the team behind Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader. Those who decide to support the developers early will gain access to the Alpha and Beta versions of the game, help the team in shaping the experience with their feedback, and receive a set of unique rewards and items available only to early supporters.

The Founder’s Packs are available on the official website at owlcat.games.

Joyvankek

Learned
I do believe that's exactly the kind of problem you can't solve with dakka. If you can't navigate the secret paths of the webway you won't have anything to shoot. :negative:
On a positive note there is a breach into the warp in their spiky city.
If dakka won't solve it, a shitload of demons flooding the webway will.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
A few questions:

1) Will I be able to have a Space Marine in my party?
2) Will I be able to have a Sister of some kind my party?
3) Will the Space Marine and the Sister be able to bang?

Luka-boy

Arcane
You mean the kind of thing an Eldar Ranger would be pretty adept at doing?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Only romance you need in a Warhammer game is between you and your weapon.

1681971218654.jpeg

1681971235574.jpeg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
1) Will I be able to have a Space Marine in my party?

Having a space marine in your party would be awful. OwlCat would need to either nerf them a lot or every single character will be worthless. Is stated that a single Space Marine is worth hundreds if not thousands, of regular human soldiers. Imagine in AD&D, having a lv 12 guy and the rest of the party, lv 1~3. That is what it means to have a space marine alongside even the most powerful regular humans. Imagine playing with him and skipping turns with everyone else. That would be the Rogue Trader gameplay.

In WH40k - DarkTide, you can play as a sanctioned psyker, a ogryn, a veteran marksman or a zealot. Far above regular soldiers but still far below Adeptus Astartes. I hope that Rogue Trader will have a similar "power level" for charname + companions.

Trithne

Erudite
Is stated that a single Space Marine is worth hundreds if not thousands, of regular human soldiers.

I know that the lore likes to say this from time to time, but it's stupid. It's also completely incongruent with how Space Marines are frequently portrayed, especially in media that isn't Space Marine centric.

Each edition of 40k gets more Marine wank, and yet manages to make the Marines less interesting each time. A Marine is worth dozens, maybe a hundred, human soldiers, and a lot of that is their equipment. Hundreds or thousands is nonsensical.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is stated that a single Space Marine is worth hundreds if not thousands, of regular human soldiers
They seem to die pretty easily going by the media I have seen. But I'm not a 40k loremaster, so I wouldn't know their worth, I mean, if there is something more to it, beyond death.

Alpharius

Scholar
Maybe he could be balanced if the space marine is missing some organs (like a primary heart) or was poisoned with a special dark eldar poison for -100 to all stats or something and is searching for a cure. Or took an oath to only fight without armor/weapons.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Owlcat_Eyler Can we get some confirmation on this? Space Marines are admittedly very powerful and it would be setting inconsistent for them to be even close to the same power level as most of the people in the party. The idea to have the Space Marine nerfed in some way would be best. Without armor is decent, although poisoned would be great as well. Perhaps the poison interferes with the Marines ability to neural link with their power armor, which as far as I know is necessary for a Space Marine to actually use it?

Vatnik Wumao
Owlcat_Eyler Can we get some confirmation on this? Space Marines are admittedly very powerful and it would be setting inconsistent for them to be even close to the same power level as most of the people in the party.
Yes, there's a confirmed Space Wolf companion (and presumably a Word Bearer one if you go the chaos route). But having SMs in your entourage is already a thing in the TTRPG.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Owlcat_Eyler Can we get some confirmation on this? Space Marines are admittedly very powerful and it would be setting inconsistent for them to be even close to the same power level as most of the people in the party.
Yes, there's a confirmed Space Wolf companion (and presumably a Word Bearer one if you go the chaos route). But having SMs in your entourage is already a thing in the TTRPG.
How is it balanced in the TTRPG?

Vatnik Wumao
Can't speak of how well it works in practice since I've never played the TTRPG (Parsimonious cook might've), but this is the sort of marine you get.

a Word Bearer one
A Word Bearer companion?
Around Word Bearers never relax!
Not confirmed, just my personal assumption since it would make sense as a mutually exclusive counterpart to the Space Wolf one (and the Word Bearers are the main CSM faction that we'll stumble upon).

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Can't speak of how well it works in practice since I've never played the TTRPG (Parsimonious cook might've), but this is the sort of marine you get.

a Word Bearer one
A Word Bearer companion?
Around Word Bearers never relax!
Not confirmed, just my personal assumption since it would make sense as a mutually exclusive counterpart to the Space Wolf one (and the Word Bearers are the main CSM faction that we'll stumble upon).

Regarding the balance of Space Marines:

- they have their own PnP RPG called Deathwatch
- there are some Dark Heresy scenarios that included Grey Knight characters, but generaly it was recomended to use them only as single use characters for special scenes etc
- character stats and basic rules for all Fantasy Flight 40K PnP games are compatible and if you want to, you can use characters from any game in all other games (its not that unusual to have characters from Dark Heresy in Rogue Trader games - in the CRPG we after all have an Interrogator as a party member, which is a class from Dark Heresy: Ascension. I have personaly never played a Space Marine/Deathwatch character in a different game, but can easily imagine how that would work)

Now regarding how OP the Marines are in comparison to characters from other games:

Baseline stats for un-augmented humans with some elementary training (ie mooks) in FFG games are normaly in 20-25 range, starting level Dark Heresy characters (Inquisitorial acolytes) would be in 30-35 range, starting level Rogue Trader characters would be usualy at about 35-40 range and starting level Marines are usually pushing 50 on creation.

The important thing is that a high level Dark Heresy (especially with Ascended career paths) or Rogue Trader character can easily push into 50-55 teritorry on their strongest stats, so purely in terms of for example melee abilities, they can be as good as a less experienced Space Marine (this may seem counterintuitive, but it is very much in line with the table top 40K as well, where for example heroic characters of Imperial Guard can have some stats on par with the Marines or even better than them). For example I used to play a Death Cult Assassin character back in the day (Dark Heresy: Ascension), which I would not hesitate to pit against a Marine any day and would probably win in close combat 4 times out of 10 or thereabouts.

However Marines come with a host of baked-in advantages which make them immensely powerful in combat. They have a special trait which doubles their Toughness stat for exemple (ie. they can have easily T 80-90), which in itself makes them nearly immune to damage from most normal/mook weapons, they usually wear power armor (unless they operate as scouts), which in combination with their huge Toughness makes them true tanks that require high level weapons (power/force weapons, plasma, melta, missile launchers, tanks etc) to kill. Plus of course they have the best weapons across all other FFG games.

In Deathwatch the balance when fighting mooks is achieved by "horde" system, by which GM can create massive hordes of mooks, which gain huge bonuses to their damage and other stats on the basis of their size. Thanks to that a Marine is in serious danger from a horde of mooks with lasguns, even though individual mooks with lasguns couldnt even touch him. The other thing is that various xenos are also immensely powerful - Orks have Toughness comparable to Marines and do high melee damage, Eldar/Dark Eldar are very fast and agile + often have weapons that can penetrate power armor, Tau have insane guns that can blast Marines to atoms etc.

We still dont know how is the Space Wolf character going to be balanced in the CRPG, as he wasnt in the Alpha - my idea is that you will probably have to use him in large battles against Dark Eldar (the most often encountered hostile xenos in the game), where their abilities and weapons will negate his stats and gear.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh probably unpopular opinion but they can easily handwave this no issue

We have A LOT of tactical and RTS game set in Warhammer 40k where IG can kick the SPESH MAHREEN arse, I don't see any reason to be anal about muh muscled man in a tin suit have to BE WORTH 100 MAN OR GAME IS SHIIIIIITEEEEEEEE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom