Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
All these panties twisted yet we all know you'll spread your wallets when the time comes

I've opened my wallet exactly once for Dorks vs Huemans:

And that was enough. I'll let all you phaggots be the guinea pigs this time around and you let me know how it goes first.

S.torch

Liturgist
You know, I just had the thought that if this game was being made by Vault Dweller, that would be something interesting. Since he would give the cold militaristic theme that the setting aims, instead of that soft approach.

mondblut

Arcane
Warhammer_-Rogue_Trader_Key-Art1.png

possible companions

Nah, too white.

Stoned Ape

Savant
"In fact, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, a goblins-and-gnomes war game, and Warhammer 40k are ridiculous, over-the-top pastiches, created by people who were bored and angry under Margaret Thatcher, and channelled that rage into worlds where everyone is the villain, and hope has been extinguished for millennia." (c) Grauniad.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...5ejYULXzwmPTZQVImoz2y_FYPkOFWruzSjEXZYcW_Y1rk

GW originally started as a company that had the sole contract to import and retail D&D to the UK.

40k was directly inspired by 2000AD comics, but then cranked them up to 11.

Steve Jackson (one of the original GW founders) was linked to my university course and gave a couple of lectures and sat in on my dissertation presentation. He was a really nice guy, intelligent but generally quite laid back and down to earth.

I also met Ian Livingstone (another GW founders who also wrote the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks with Steve) during my degree as well. He gave a lecture about when he was part of Eidos (after selling his share of GW), how he transformed Rick Dangerous into Tomb Raider and got to spend time with the various official Lara Croft models.

I've also met Jarvis Johnson at various times over the years. He's really approachable and seems very interested in trying to build character and narrative/campaign play into GW's tabletop games rather than setting up rules for competitive matches.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Of course it is a strong wombyn giving the announcement trailer, Owltrannies can't help themselves. Let's see expect gay marine sodomy from red bearded marine, the andogenous character standing next to the lady looks like someone who used a laspistol on his genitals. I expect there will be aliens who will lecture how they do not use gender pronouns, probably the eldar.

In the grim dark future there is only xer.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I hope the completely ditch any kind of management aspect, apart from the shitty performance, constant loading screens, the fucking management layer is the single worst design decision they keep making in their games.

Lol, I also mostly dislike the management but I doubt Rogue Trader is the concept where they abandon that design element; Rogue Traders are actually supposed to manage stuff.

Brickfrog

Learned
In the grim dark future, there is limited character development tbh

Having a setting that's so oppressively shitty makes for characters that are pretty one dimensional. I'm kind of struggling to think of a 40k video game franchise that had any interesting characters at all tbh

A softer/fuzzier 40k will have more room for the kind of storytelling wer accustomed to in crpgs.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I hope the completely ditch any kind of management aspect, apart from the shitty performance, constant loading screens, the fucking management layer is the single worst design decision they keep making in their games.

Lol, I also mostly dislike the management but I doubt Rogue Trader is the concept where they abandon that design element; Rogue Traders are actually supposed to manage stuff.
Third time the charm? <fabulously optimistic>

Harthwain

Magister
Just watched the trailer, the gameplay bits look cool. The cartoon is gay, but I assume that's just marketing stuff to fill out the trailer like some of the Wrath hype stuff before release.
I suspect they will replace anything that usually uses cinematics with cartoon. I don't mind the idea to be honest (I do enjoy cartoon aesthetic as such), but the lady doesn't appear to be cool enough, nor is her voice good enough to narrate (in my opinion) so I find it less interesting than it could've been otherwise.

because who cares about 40K lore?
It's less about the lore and more about the theme.

the difference is that colorful early edition shit was made by nerds who, as people, were interesting. ie see photo of some gw guy from 80s with messy hair with his fantase army. modern colorful stuff is made by people who are entirely, by their natur, are uninteresting.
Eh, I can easily see people doing colorful WH40K even today:

What you need is the correct mindset.

mondblut

Arcane
In the grim dark future, there is limited character development tbh

Wrong. You can stack as many stats and abilities as you like regardless of the setting.

Having a setting that's so oppressively shitty makes for characters that are pretty one dimensional.

Good. "I kill shit with weapons" and "I kill shit with spells" is all the dimensions we need.

A softer/fuzzier 40k will have more room for the kind of storytelling wer accustomed to in crpgs.

Happy pride month!

jf8350143

Liturgist
From the trailer seems like we can only play as human, but not as other species.

It's a bummer but I guess that's 40k for you.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The game will actually use the mechanics from the 2009 Fantasy Flight Games RPG

Honestly expected them to just use 3.5 OGL DND so that they could simply copy-paste everything from Pathfinder.

Last edited:

Ruchy

Scholar
Hmmm I don't know anything about the Table top game unfortunately so not sure what to make of that. Overall fairly excited though and will support it even if it's shit if only to show that their is interest in a 40k cRPG. What can I say I'm a huggy buggy faggot like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom