Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
What's really missing is some space negros. I'm sure they'll add a sassy black tech priestess or something.

Drop Duck

Learned

Owlcat is proud to announce the first classic cRPG in the Warhammer 40,000 Universe!
Take the mantle of a Rogue Trader and explore the vast and dangerous Koronus Expanse with a crew of your loyal companions.

Preorder now - roguetrader.owlcat.games

:yeah:

This is kick ass, the cinematic looks just like those faux 80's cartoons that Beamdog are trying to cash in on. I'm only worried about the lack of BIPOC and LGBTQ+ representation but since this is made by Owlcat I think they will pull through despite being Rusgoblins.

:d1p:

Are romances confirmed yet?

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
What's really missing is some space negros. I'm sure they'll add a sassy black tech priestess or something.
Absolutely obsessed.
You can really tell with most of the detractors ITT there was an anticipation for Owlcat to go balls-to-the-wall with the wokeness and now there's just a ton of angst as they've so far been denied anything tangible to kvetch about.

Vatnik Wumao
Absolutely obsessed.
You can really tell with most of the detractors ITT there was an anticipation for Owlcat to go balls-to-the-wall with the wokeness and now there's just a ton of angst as they've so far been denied anything tangible to kvetch about.
They're just bored and have to come up with some new stuff (real or imagined) to complain about.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Absolutely obsessed.

That is an interesting word you chose, "kvetch". Makes one wonder where your intentions lay.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
We know exactly what to expect after Wrath. My initial points still stand, regardless of the setting.
Meh, WotR wasn't that pozzed compared to current year BioWare shit or what have you. And it gave us some neat characters like Regill.

It was a shit game even when you ignore the writing.

Thankfully the FFG Rogue Trader ruleset won't be as spergtastic as Pathfinder but it'll bring its own issues, namely incredibly deadly and swingy combat.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Meh, WotR wasn't that pozzed compared to current year BioWare shit or what have you. And it gave us some neat characters like Regill.

There is no current year BioWare. Does Regill make up for Seelah? What about Sosiel? If WotR in its exact form was made by some western company, would you feel the same? Somehow I doubt it.

Vatnik Wumao
Does Regill make up for Seelah? What about Sosiel?
Don't mind either since they were appropriately written and neither their race nor the sexual orientation of the latter defined them (although in the case of Sosiel it did add to him given that him being a play on the artsy homo trope complemented his deity choice).

Only character that I can recall whose identity detracted from the story and felt brazenly shoehorned in was Anevia. Although thankfully it's not brought up too much and if I'm not mistaken it's only implied that they're a tranny (besides being a 'lesbian').

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm hoping that they hire on new writers, especially ones familiar with 40k lore and not whoever wrote the Pathfinder games.

I mean, it shouldn't be hard. There's a ton of people willing to work for peanuts if they could be part of what essentially is a dream project.

Somewhat sad the 40k parody rpg I was working on changed into something else. :/

Also, this is the first artwork I saw of 40k and how I still picture the setting. 3rd edition rulebook? I still probably have it around somewhere.

957a796e5b08ed1fc3366d5db0c614b0.jpg

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am not really familiar with Rogue Trader but I guess a Warhammer 40k games not about some big men in big junk suit screaming FOR THE EMPRAH would be interesting after the countless SM focused video games.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
From the trailer seems like we can only play as human, but not as other species.

It's a bummer but I guess that's 40k for you.

Eh hopefully if system in place and game is successful enough they could make non human focused RPG in the setting.

I would love to play a game as Ork Freebooter

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The game will actually use the mechanics from the 2009 Fantasy Flight Games RPG

Honestly expected them to just use 3.5 OGL DND so that they could simply copy-paste everything from Pathfinder tbh

I didn't, I figured they'd probably use the TTRPG ruleset for two reasons.

1) They seem to have a significant portion of tabletop gamer nerds in positions of power so ths would be both a preference and offload work for design in terms of classes, weapons, psyker powers, etc.
2) I suspect the main reason they didn't push directly into another Pathfinder game at least partially has to do with staff burnout and wanting a different flavour of project for awhile.

Beyond that, they can still repurpose a lot of their art assets and framework as the trailer seemed to indicate and probably have a situation that was like how Wrath was like an enhanced Kingmaker in terms of the presentation and art, etc.

Drop Duck

Learned
You can really tell with most of the detractors ITT there was an anticipation for Owlcat to go balls-to-the-wall with the wokeness
Owlcat are woke in the liberty loving capitalist sense, they're not neo-marxists killjoys. You bet your ass that there will be diversity in this game mate and that the nazis will cry about it. Meanwhile I'm going to play as Captain Kirk and get laid with some xeno babes.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
You can really tell with most of the detractors ITT there was an anticipation for Owlcat to go balls-to-the-wall with the wokeness
Owlcat are woke in the liberty loving capitalist sense, they're not neo-marxists killjoys. You bet your ass that there will be diversity in this game mate and that the nazis will cry about it. Meanwhile I'm going to play as Captain Kirk and get laid with some xeno babes.

Yes, that's the Poz. Woke is in fact a rebellion against that. There are (many) more than nazis dissatisfied with the banality inherent in both.

Drop Duck

Learned
Meanwhile I'm going to play as Captain Kirk and get laid with some xeno babes.

Hey baby, wanna make a half-el... dar?

Somebody probably keeps statistics on rogue traders that fuck one too many aliens and ends up a Slaaneshi cultist.

There's strange poon, and then there's really strange poon.
Who wouldn't go down on a Dark Eldar babe? That's just the beginning. It gets really kinky when you get in bed with a smoking hot Rak'Gol.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So how easy is it to get into this? I am actually serious when I say that I know nothing about Warhammer. I only know that the boys from Blizzard copied it when they made WarCraft because they couldn't get the license.

And what about the mechanics? Are they obtuse, or easy to get a hold of?

I feel this time around, the tutorial will be a key component for me. lol

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
Always wanted something like this in WH universe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom