Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming September 24th

Lemming42

Arcane
Since I bailed out near the start of Act 2 thanks to the dumb Seize the Initiative bug, I have a question:
When the Eldar woman takes you to the jungle where her rebels friends are hiding, and walks forward and tells them to lower their weapons, are they meant to immediately enter combat with you anyway? Fair enough if it's part of the story, but the game's so buggy that I can't tell if it's part of the plot or just the game going to shit as usual. The fact she had no dialogue at all after the fight, despite the fact she was just forced to kill her friends who attacked her for seemingly no reason, made me think it might have been a bug.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I really don't like the focus on Rogue traders it's not what I play 40k for.

the war part of the setting is pretty much unsuitable for an RPG tho, battle and scale is too big.

what part of 40k again would be suitable for a party-based narrative-focused RPG? I know something like Space Hulk can work but it's mostly dungeon crawling

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I really don't like the focus on Rogue traders it's not what I play 40k for.

the war part of the setting is pretty much unsuitable for an RPG tho, battle and scale is too big.

what part of 40k again would be suitable for a party-based narrative-focused RPG? I know something like Space Hulk can work but it's mostly dungeon crawling

None, I agree with you. I find the idea of a RPG in 40k just odd.

Fantasy battles would be a different matter.

40K is a tactical and and strategic setting for me. I mean it's good, they did that now, it's fun, it's not really mine a lot of people seem to enjoy the books about imperial characters in the setting, I don't do that either.

But I thought it was fair to the one who asked that I told him my position of the whole thing so he can decide if he can value my feedback on the story.

Shaja

Educated
Chapter 3, meditating with Yrliet:

Is it bugged? I talked with all the spirits except for Pasqal. His model appears as default, not as an spirit and there´s no option to interact with him.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Since I bailed out near the start of Act 2 thanks to the dumb Seize the Initiative bug, I have a question:
When the Eldar woman takes you to the jungle where her rebels friends are hiding, and walks forward and tells them to lower their weapons, are they meant to immediately enter combat with you anyway? Fair enough if it's part of the story, but the game's so buggy that I can't tell if it's part of the plot or just the game going to shit as usual. The fact she had no dialogue at all after the fight, despite the fact she was just forced to kill her friends who attacked her for seemingly no reason, made me think it might have been a bug.

u can skip final fight in the jungle with dialogue

Rhobar121

Scholar
I decided to play this game and by the Emperor this game is easier on unfair than bg3.
As long as the game doesn't screw you over with a cutscene in which your characters walk into an ambush, you have nothing to worry about.
There is no AI in this game, for example Jae's recruitment mission - an easy fight until she gets her turn and kills 2 of your characters and seriously injures the third one.

Balance is also non-existent.
My character is Santic Psyker - Warrior - Vanguard (only level 18) and as soon as he gets his turn, in practice he is immortal against everything that is not a sniper or a boss (against them he becomes immortal in the 3-4th turn).
Also Santified Stalker exists and is as broken as it seems. The additional crit chance equal to resolve is extremely powerful.

In addition, I also use Heinrix - he is a very strong character as long as you ignore all his archetypes and just use psyker skills (and talents). Empero's Wrath which you can buy in Footfall is just broken because it scales with Resolve which with 2 psyker you can ramp very quickly.
There is also a bug in the game that allows him to select Psy Rating 2 already at level 16 (I haven't used it myself).

It's a pity that the psyker's most powerful talent, Psalm of Heroes, is bugged and doesn't do anything. Then I don't know if Heinrix wouldn't be able to beat Cassia in longer fights.

Cassia is also broken, Held in my Gaze is really powerful especially with blood augury which increases the damage with each subsequent use.
Warp Curse Unleashed is also a very powerful debuff for any boss fight.
Unfortunately, Lidless Stare is bugged in 50% of cases and does not deal any damage even though the game shows that it should.
I'm not sure if the Bloodhound Staff (you can buy it at Footfall) works properly. Theoretically it should allow you to cast Held in my Gaze twice in 1 turn.
This should probably work once per fight (although it's hard to tell from the description) but you can use it every turn.
Sometimes, however, even this is bugged and for some reason you can use the skill up to 3 times in one turn (rare).
It also works on buffs, although the latter doesn't make much difference.

Argenta ultimate is bugged and sometimes it just doesn't work. It prevents you from shooting even when you have free AP.
I have no idea what causes this.

notpl

Arbiter
You aren't supposed to be able to shoot just because you have free AP. The soldier heroic lets them make [fire rate of equipped weapon] attacks for free, their AP doesn't factor into this calculus at all.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
How is the story and companions? I'm pretty sure I won't pick up this game until an EE comes out but still curious.

I like I'm not hearing about a lot of gay/cringe shit like bear sex 3.

I'm not done yet but I am close to the ending.

The game is fun, it's very much structured like WOTR.

However the story does not really do it for me, it feels awfully constructed, has also similar beats (Act 3 is basically Act 4 in WOTR, Act 4 is basicallys act 5 in Wotr and so on) Act compared to Wotr and I don't think I like rogue trader as a setting. (Love 40k though I play the wargame)

What is the strength of such factions in lore looked at from a strategic perspective feels bland in detail in my eyes. The Imperium has to be the Imperium, the Chaos factions have their usual shenanigans, the Dark eldar torture people, the aeldari are shitty elves just like they always are etc.

meaning basically what happens is what is to be expected. It's fine if you you like a story in 40k that does not hold much sueprises but I would not recommend to play it for the great story.
However I think they nailed it, which is actually a reflection of that, the factions in the setting. The Imperium and their Dogma, the Drukhari and Eldar, the Mechanicus and even Necrons are a joy to behold and seem to be implemented in a way that shows care for the setting.

I love the depcition of chaos, Tzeentch is the big player this time around and it's a blessing to have, the first game know to me, to not have every Chaos space marine scream in my ears all the time about killing and insanity but to see them Preach and be Psykers and have even the less prominent factions for this story be portrayed very nuanced.

I really don't like the focus on Rogue traders it's not what I play 40k for. The story supports different way of playing, with three convictions (paths) going through but looking at it realistically these seem to be tacked on and the changes up until the last point of the game are rather miniscule. I have behaved like a heretic the whole game, with torture victims a Chaos shrine and all openly visible in my voidship and none, apart from the three (four?) characters that are incompatible with the heretic route, commented on that at all. And those three choose to see it as "too much" like a second before the ending. It's Jarring.

If you want to play a game in the setting with the setting being really well implemented then this game is for you. It's fun, some of the mechanics are a bit outlandish, the combat becomes somewhat tedious, the mini games (Ship combat and colonisation + the whole warp map shenanigans) are the best iteration yet of owlcat minigames bit they are still borderline shit.

If you are Patient this is a good game to play, as a game I like Wotr and Kingmaker more.
I know literally nothing about the setting lol. So the story is meh and immersion isn't that great?

Rhobar121

Scholar
You aren't supposed to be able to shoot just because you have free AP. The soldier heroic lets them make [fire rate of equipped weapon] attacks for free, their AP doesn't factor into this calculus at all.
The problem is that it often doesn't work. I don't even understand why.
Probably when you attack before using the ult, which makes no sense. Why would it work like that?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
I did not mind story and immersion think both were good

also not many have mentioned much about companions
Argenta, Abelard, Heinrix, Pasqal are all great
Cassia is okayish
rest did not care much / inquisition took care of em

overall best cast so far in Owlcat game

Rhobar121

Scholar
The only real challenge so far was the Act 1 boss.
The problem is that most of the difficulty of this fight is caused by a stupid cutscene that puts you in a shitty place where the only cover is a meter from the boss.
This is another example of Owlcat's shitty design, where if you lose the initiative you are automatically dead.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Is Dogmatic actually cool and based in this game/setting?

I hate how gay Paladins are in modern D&D
I only know up to Act 3 but so far very much yes in my opinion. The main trajectory of the story doesn't change based on your choices really (so far at least) but the choices themselves are satisfying.

Rhobar121

Scholar

How can I tell you this without spoilers.
On the Dogmatic path, you can execute people for the slightest offenses against the emperor.
Surprisingly, most of Dogmatic's choices (the more important ones) are not stupid at all and make complete sense in the universe.
A small example: at some point in Act 1, you meet a certain heretic and you can convince him to surrender. Then you have two options: Iconolast to release him or Dogmatic to carry out the executions. Of course, releasing a madman is a stupid idea in a universe where he can turn into an abomination and kill everyone around him.

jf8350143

Liturgist

Dogmatic in this game is basically murder hobo in every other modern RPG.

Most of it can be summerised as "let's excute these motherfucking heretics". And it's the right thing to do in the 40k universe.

As far as I can tell there are only a few dogmatic choices are kind stupid, most of them are based.

Iconolast on the other hand is full of bullshit choices that definately will come back and bite you in the ass because it's warhammer 40k.

20231217004014-1.jpg

Looks like it's time to wait for patches. Things were fairly smooth up until act 3 with only the occasional minor bug, nothing game stopping. In the shot above funnily enough the clone of Ulfar isn't even the problem, Abelard isn't even in my party at the moment. He can take no actions and his turn can't be skipped thus breaking progression.

Harthwain

Magister
I don't think I like rogue trader as a setting. (Love 40k though I play the wargame)
That's a weird statement considering Rogue Trader is literally 40k, just with less focus on the imperial dogma (like someone else said already - you're literally a privateer in service of the God Emperor of Mankind. Only you're more like one-man East India Trading Company rather than Francis Drake.)

Dark Heresy (the actual PnP RPG)?

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Oh okay that's actually nice. If you "kill" the navigator during the Cassia quest at your palace first there will be no chase, she gives up right away.

Shaja

Educated
Chapter 3, meditating with Yrliet:

Is it bugged? I talked with all the spirits except for Pasqal. His model appears as default, not as an spirit and there´s no option to interact with him.
Just reloaded previous save. Worked ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
1702830297298.png

first picture is Cassia in seize the initiative turn
second picture is after Cassia + mc passed their seize the initiative turn
so +72 bonus when it should be +0

UQH7RpJ.png

Rhobar121

Scholar
The trauma system is stupid, especially the fact that I can't heal them in any way during the mission.
In addition, many failed skill checks automatically result in trauma, which again encourages save scumming.
The system is so shitty that each trauma causes too much punishment for something you can't remove.
Additionally, many enemies are able to traumatize your character with a single attack.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I like the game so far but Owlcat needs to get rid of those slowass "cutscenes" where two emperor-damned people take 20 seconds to walk across the screen and the skip button takes 5 second to activate. And half the time it'll skip the dialogue too.

Gonna have to check if there's something in the settings to speed that up because holy shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom