Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming September 24th

Ein Axt

Educated
A post on the steam forum suggested that missing AP bug were caused by extra turn. I took deliberate actions on my next battle to not get extra turns. I'm still getting most of the time 4 AP instead of 5 after the first turn.

Might as well try: Anyone have found out what's causing this?

janior

Arcane
Patron
about act 3 companions...
is there some specific point where I get to reunite with heinrix and cassia? I already done all the arena fights and now i'm in the spire and wonder if I missed them or something, still stuck with 5 man party T_T

Shaki

Arbiter
My favourite bug so far is "Savour the kill" Bounty Hunter talent, giving bounty hunter a free turn whenever any cover/barrel is destroyed :M

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Shiiiiiiiiiiet nigguhz. I went to this distant system and there are fucking ´stealers over there!

Genestealer.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
I really don't like the focus on Rogue traders it's not what I play 40k for.

the war part of the setting is pretty much unsuitable for an RPG tho, battle and scale is too big.

what part of 40k again would be suitable for a party-based narrative-focused RPG? I know something like Space Hulk can work but it's mostly dungeon crawling
Being an Inquisitor with your retinue would work but being a Heretic in that case would be even harder

ArchAngel

Arcane
My favourite bug so far is "Savour the kill" Bounty Hunter talent, giving bounty hunter a free turn whenever any cover/barrel is destroyed :M
I've found that both soldier and operative abilities that should only work in cover work anywhere.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

the war part of the setting is pretty much unsuitable for an RPG tho, battle and scale is too big.

what part of 40k again would be suitable for a party-based narrative-focused RPG? I know something like Space Hulk can work but it's mostly dungeon crawling
Being an Inquisitor with your retinue would work but being a Heretic in that case would be even harder

The Heretic path in this game is not good. It's waaaaay in your face MUAHAHAHAHAHA EVIL OPTION. Considering also you have a bloody SoB and Inquisitor and and Eldar most of the time with most of the choice should end with you being shot in the head at that moment. Honestly I think it's a mistake to mark the Heretic choice.

But Inquisitor focused game can be pretty nice on the nuance. Being too Lawful Stupid and you can't get your job done or you might fuck up someshit. Being lenient can lead to unforeseen consequences (this game has it lightly on how if you dont nuke Rykad Minoris you will get a debuff). Being Radical might get some shit done but you are flirting with Heresy.

But this require Owlcat to write out of their currently extremely riggid Alignment Writing

Shaki

Arbiter
I've found that both soldier and operative abilities that should only work in cover work anywhere.
Yeah, that happens pretty much for every ability that should work only in cover. As I said before in this thread, I'm pretty sure there is more bugged talents and abilities in RT, than ones working correctly.

Shaki

Arbiter

The Heretic path in this game is not good. It's waaaaay in your face MUAHAHAHAHAHA EVIL OPTION.

I mean, that is very much in line with setting and lore. I don't think anyone expects nuance from WH40K. You either walk into it to be like "FOR THE EMPEROR, BURN THE HERETIC, KILL THE MUTANT" or "MWAHAHAHAH BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE", it was always like that, and you either love it or not.

I think fans would be actually pretty mad if Owlcat tried to instead make it a modern Californian morality "nuanced" game like BG3.

Harthwain

Magister
Not according to Eisenhorn saga. Granted, it would've been a very gradual process, but it is entirely possible.

I like the game so far but Owlcat needs to get rid of those slowass "cutscenes" where two emperor-damned people take 20 seconds to walk across the screen and the skip button takes 5 second to activate. And half the time it'll skip the dialogue too.

Gonna have to check if there's something in the settings to speed that up because holy shit.
I am more annoyed by the fact that spacebar is used both to speed up combat AND to end turn. You can easily skip your own turn, even if all you want is to speed up enemy's turn.

The trauma system is stupid, especially the fact that I can't heal them in any way during the mission.
In addition, many failed skill checks automatically result in trauma, which again encourages save scumming.
The system is so shitty that each trauma causes too much punishment for something you can't remove.
Additionally, many enemies are able to traumatize your character with a single attack.
Trauma is there so you are encouraged to heal up wounds until you get trauma. Same goes for re-doing a skill check - if you fail a skill check on the first try, don't use the same character, otherwise you will get Exhaustion. But I do agree that the end result is "don't get injured/killed too much", which invites save-scumming. I didn't have this problem with King Arthur: Knight's Tale and it features a similar system (although injuries are much better thought-through - you only get injury there if you run out of injury tokens AND enemy will damage your Vitality, meaning there is a lot to work with, so you don't get injured left and right).

I mean, that is very much in line with setting and lore. I don't think anyone expects nuance from WH40K.
There ARE books that treat the subject matter with nuance (The Eisenhorn Trilogy and The Enemy Within).

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

The Heretic path in this game is not good. It's waaaaay in your face MUAHAHAHAHAHA EVIL OPTION.

I mean, that is very much in line with setting and lore. I don't think anyone expects nuance from WH40K. You either walk into it to be like "FOR THE EMPEROR, BURN THE HERETIC, KILL THE MUTANT" or "MWAHAHAHAH BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE", it was always like that, and you either love it or not.

I think fans would be actually pretty mad if Owlcat tried to instead make it a modern Californian morality "nuanced" game like BG3.

Bg3 is not nuanced.

Let's look at star wars. Traditionally very non nuanced. Then kotor 2 came out and people loved it and praised it. So if kotor 2 could have a different, nuanced take on star wars lore then anything can do it

Stoned Ape

Savant

Bg3 is not nuanced.

Let's look at star wars. Traditionally very non nuanced. Then kotor 2 came out and people loved it and praised it. So if kotor 2 could have a different, nuanced take on star wars lore then anything can do it
I understand GW were in contact with Owlcat to ensure the game portrays 40k the way they want it. I'm not sure how much space they had to experiment with nuance in the setting, particularly since this is the first 40k RPG and nailing the tone and themes is particularly important for the first game of its type in the franchise.

I'm 24 hours into my first run of the game, just going through the last couple hours of Act I. I have to say, I am incredibly happy with the state of the game. The build variety and combat seems really extensive, and the game is surprisingly stable. I only encountered a couple of bugs (one of which was the save file thing that got fixed in 20 minutes or so and the other is that one AoE ability doesn't always trigger properly). Owlcat's really coming along nicely. The only thing I would complain about is the lack of corruption and romance route for Argenta, especially since I hear it's due to the Supreme Kid (GW) meddling. I don't particularly care for the romance, but i think the corruption route not being dare is a wasted opportunity.

Rhobar121

Scholar

The trauma system is stupid, especially the fact that I can't heal them in any way during the mission.
In addition, many failed skill checks automatically result in trauma, which again encourages save scumming.
The system is so shitty that each trauma causes too much punishment for something you can't remove.
Additionally, many enemies are able to traumatize your character with a single attack.
Trauma is there so you are encouraged to heal up wounds until you get trauma. Same goes for re-doing a skill check - if you fail a skill check on the first try, don't use the same character, otherwise you will get Exhaustion. But I do agree that the end result is "don't get injured/killed too much", which invites save-scumming. I didn't have this problem with King Arthur: Knight's Tale and it features a similar system (although injuries are much better thought-through - you only get injury there if you run out of injury tokens AND enemy will damage your Vitality, meaning there is a lot to work with, so you don't get injured left and right).
This is not entirely true.
You can get trauma in combat even when your character is completely healthy. I have noticed several times that one of my characters was traumatized without losing even 50% of his life in combat (not to mention the wounds).
There are also a lot of checks that automatically apply trauma on the first try, which is stupid

Rhobar121

Scholar
I'm 24 hours into my first run of the game, just going through the last couple hours of Act I. I have to say, I am incredibly happy with the state of the game. The build variety and combat seems really extensive, and the game is surprisingly stable. I only encountered a couple of bugs (one of which was the save file thing that got fixed in 20 minutes or so). Owlcat's really coming along nicely. The only thing I would complain about is the lack of corruption and romance route for Argenta, especially since I hear it's due to the Supreme Kid (GW) meddling. I don't particularly care for the romance, but i think the corruption route not being dare is a wasted opportunity.
It only gets worse.
In Act 2, I encountered broken scripts several times, such as the cutscene not starting, which blocks you and forces you to load the game.
It's apparently only worse and the last act is Kingsmaker level at the premiere.

is there some specific point where I get to reunite with heinrix and cassia? I already done all the arena fights and now i'm in the spire and wonder if I missed them or something, still stuck with 5 man party T_T
I don't know about Heinrix since I didn't take him into Commoragh but you are supposed to get Cassia from the anatomical theatre after fighting Mazrai but BEFORE fighting Kerones or whatever her name is. You have to convince the fleshcrafter to give her up then you release her from a sphere up the stairs behind him.

janior

Arcane
Patron
I don't know about Heinrix since I didn't take him into Commoragh but you are supposed to get Cassia from the anatomical theatre after fighting Mazrai but BEFORE fighting Kerones or whatever her name is. You have to convince the fleshcrafter to give her up then you release her from a sphere up the stairs behind him.
Turned out I missed some interactable objects and gotta redo like good 4 hours of fights...

Harthwain

Magister
This is not entirely true.
You can get trauma in combat even when your character is completely healthy. I have noticed several times that one of my characters was traumatized without losing even 50% of his life in combat (not to mention the wounds).
There are also a lot of checks that automatically apply trauma on the first try, which is stupid
Sounds like it has less to do with the system itself and more with the game being buggy. You should not be getting trauma if you don't accumulate 3 injuries first and you shouldn't be getting trauma on the first try when you're doing a skill check.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There's been a quick hotfix 1.0.70 to fix cutscenes not starting at the beginning of Act IV, but only for Dogmatic and Iconoclast, Heretic still to come.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

The thing is the Heretic path is almost written as you always have been one instead of being tempted into one. That's my problem.

I've pointed this out during pre-release thread as well, DoW2 Chaos Rising did the whole getting corrupted thing MUCH better even though it is an RTS game starring SPESH MAHREEN instead of a "normal" human

Ein Axt

Educated
I'm 24 hours into my first run of the game, just going through the last couple hours of Act I. I have to say, I am incredibly happy with the state of the game. The build variety and combat seems really extensive, and the game is surprisingly stable. I only encountered a couple of bugs (one of which was the save file thing that got fixed in 20 minutes or so and the other is that one AoE ability doesn't always trigger properly). Owlcat's really coming along nicely. The only thing I would complain about is the lack of corruption and romance route for Argenta, especially since I hear it's due to the Supreme Kid (GW) meddling. I don't particularly care for the romance, but i think the corruption route not being dare is a wasted opportunity.
Most of the major bugs, aka game-stopping bugs are at a later chapter at the moment. Chapter 1 for me was really smooth. One dead body T-posing, and a broken camera at a cutscene, but that's it. I'm on chapter 2 right now and I have postponed my run due to many bugs. Much more at later chapters from what I hear.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Bg3 is not nuanced.

I understand GW were in contact with Owlcat to ensure the game portrays 40k the way they want it. I'm not sure how much space they had to experiment with nuance in the setting, particularly since this is the first 40k RPG and nailing the tone and themes is particularly important for the first game of its type in the franchise.
I like it as it is. This is first real RPG in WH40k world, it does not need to be Kotor 2 already..
It is good enough to present it as one expects, they can do crazier stuff in next game.
This is first game where humans get mind controlled by Xenos and after you kill the Xenos and save them it is the "right" thing to do to purge them all for being weak enough to fall under Xenos influence. For the Emperor!
I just wish I could be a SM from the start :D

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
If you're afraid of getting the massive buggy shaft at the start of act 4, this is what I found on leddit:

If Yirlet isn't in your party in whatever area you were in right before the "soft footsteps" voidship encounter happens it breaks the encounter and then many quest flags in Act 3 and 4. Act 3 will be playable but a lot of stuff is broken in the backgroup. Act 4 will then have everything broken.

I did at the end of act 2:

- Do everything before the final Drukhari ambush encounter
- Go right to dragonus, do ceremony immediately after fending off attack ( make no jumps)
- After leaving ceremony and act 3 starts re-enter dragonus and select Yirlet in the party
- go back to voidship and then make jump, the soft footsteaps scene should play

This has allowed me to get flags working in act 3 and also act 4 works

I have absolutely no fucking clue if this works or not, since I'm still in Act 1. If you already got that juicy shaft, here's a proposed solution:

Ok, so this worked well enough for me so far:

- Go to the Rogue Trader's quarters on the ship (this is important or it won't work)
- Go to 'Etudes' in Toybox and type 'brief' in the search field
- Look for 'KTC_Chapter4Start_Briefing' and expand the 'elements' dropdown
- When in your room, click Play scene KTC_Ch4Start_Briefing'

After I did that, I got what appear to be the proper chapter 4 quests. Hopefully I haven't broken anything else down the line, but it looks okay so far

What if I cant take Yirlet in a party, because she's dead?
Wasn't that solved in patch?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom