Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What drove BG3's success, game mechanics or emotional engagement?

Beans00

Augur

Character development actually has some depth
Its DnD, the class, ability and spell systems are generally neat.
Feels a lot less like a theme park.
Less Larian humour.

Like I said I have never played the game, and don't have current plans. I am willing to bet those 4 points are completely false though. Especially since it uses trashy dnd 5e. Also every single larian game, going back to DD and BD have their shitty humour.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Voice acted
You read the lines in your head 80x faster than voice actors can drawl them out and skip to the next one before they're even 3 words into their sentence right? Do there exist people that set the controller down, place their chin in their hands and wait for the hunky boys to drone dramatically for 20 minutes? That's despicable behaviour that I don't approve of at all.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
In my estimation, when people talk excitedly about the game in public fora, it's generally the reactivity and the somewhat immersive-sim-like quality of the game, especially Act I. People try weird things out and they delight in the fact that the game world responds at least somewhat appropriately, as if the devs had taken their whim into consideration as a possible player move.

(That could be because a lot of people who played this never played the DOS games where barrelmancy and utilization of environment, etc., is old hat, but it's nevertheless a Larian thing, and something they're pretty good at.)

That's the actual gameplay side of the game that nearly everyone who plays it and likes it likes, regardless of whatever else they might think of the game.

Laz Sundays

Educated
Memorable companions
Yes, my PC will remember meeting these and their voiceacted candy ass, sizing up their gear and taking measurements for the coffin. Which of their things are for sale, which items look cooler on me, can they somehow be useful before they die, etc.

NPC: >flamboyant noises<
PC: *Smiles*

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Less Larian humour.

Like I said I have never played the game, and don't have current plans. I am willing to bet those 4 points are completely false though. Especially since it uses trashy dnd 5e. Also every single larian game, going back to DD and BD have their shitty humour.
I rather like 5e so far. Except for the multiclassing rules.
A much more... reasonable ruleset conparing with 3rd ed./Pathfinder.
And last 2 points were appreciably "Less" not "without".

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Less Larian humour.

How is it more "reasonable"?
Is it because it is marketed towards the Critical Role crowd and other twelve year olds and gender studies students?
This explains its simplicity and blandness.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Voice acted
Good graphics
Varied combat encounters
Dungeons with puzzles, platforming elements, tons of secrets
Great side quests, boss and monster design
Interesting main premise
Good villains
Memorable companions
Good music
Long and well paced most of the time

It's almost a perfect RPG, it's really well made, i don't think we will be getting such a good RPG for a long time.
Based.

Butthurt codexers will never admit it's good though, they need to uphold their edgy persona here otherwise they're not "cool" anymore on this fringe forum.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Based.

Butthurt codexers will never admit it's good though, they need to uphold their edgy persona here otherwise they're not "cool" anymore on this fringe forum.
Are you still here? I thought you joined your target audience in 41% after failing to win the GotY vote.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Less Larian humour.

How is it more "reasonable"?
Is it because it is marketed towards the Critical Role crowd and other twelve year olds and gender studies students?
This explains its simplicity and blandness.
Because the bloat in 3rd ed./Pathfinder has gotten out of hand. Because the stacking was insane. Because the buffing/prebuffing were sick.
5e. has fixed most of these issues.

Laz Sundays

Educated
If Critical Role crew bothered to insist that their players should actually learn the damn games, it wouldn't be half as dogshit

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Based.

Are you still here? I thought you joined your target audience in 41% after failing to win the GotY vote.
codex.png

Beans00

Augur

No one is really crying though except maybe 3-4 people. Disliking popular games isn't really anything new here, in fact I would say the hate BG3 gets is absolutely nothing compared to the reactions of NWN1 and later Oblivion/fallout 3. It's pretty clear the pro BG3 crowd is crying as much if not more then the anti bg3 people. When some zoomer retard insults fallout no one really cares, it's just accepted that they're stupid. When you need to base your whole personality on defending your favorite game it makes you look weak.

I haven't played bg3, but the D:OS games were super popular(even if I disliked them) so it's not as if Larian made some underground hit with this game.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I've seen a lot more crying here about BG3 not winning GOTY (after those same people laughed about the meltdown Codex will have when it inevitably wins), and that's after dozens of alts/new accounts came out of the woodwork to boost its score. Well, not only GOTY placement, just in general. Lhynn is having constant meltdowns about how Colony Ship is the worst game in history while sucking off BG3 but I don't think he would be acting that way if he wasn't insecure they were both released the same year. Mortmal was crying about the Codex on another forum because of BG3, etc.

Discussions about why people think the game is shit =/ crying.

Either way, it's fun as an observer, however I'm still salty Caves of Lore only got 5th place.

Lhynn

Arcane
Colony Ship is the worst game in history
I wouldnt say the worst game in history, but it is bad.

I don't think he would be acting that way if he wasn't insecure they were both released the same year
Im not even sure what you are getting at here. I dont see them as competing products. Like youd have to be retarded to think they are even comparable. BG3 is a quality rpg with a bad third act, CS is a lazy and rushed pile of trash.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Colony Ship is the worst game in history
I wouldnt say the worst game in history, but it is bad.

I don't think he would be acting that way if he wasn't insecure they were both released the same year
Im not even sure what you are getting at here. I dont see them as competing products. Like youd have to be retarded to think they are even comparable. BG3 is a quality rpg with a bad third act, CS is a lazy and rushed pile of trash.

I'm saying the majority of posts I've seen from you on this topic you come across as a butthurt raving lunatic because some people don't view BG3 or CS the same way as you, which isn't something I'm used to seeing.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Based.

codex.png
That's literally your only gimmick...
My other gimmick is posting reviews of critics and people who actually played the game and gave it amazing review scores, here:

afbeelding.png

You codextards are a fringe minority that larp as edgelords that won't admit it's a good game.

Lhynn

Arcane
I'm saying the majority of posts I've seen from you on this topic you come across as a butthurt raving lunatic because some people don't view BG3 or CS the same way as you, which isn't something I'm used to seeing.
Maybe thats what you see, but you are a biased retard and theres no way around that.

I have argued for the merits of both games, and I had nobody present an intelligible argument to disprove my points. Its all limp-wristed rating.

This has been going for weeks now, nobody can ever seem to tell me why CS is good. Conversely, people that hate on BG3 dont play it on principle and really have no clue what the game has to offer, it doesnt interest them, and thats perfectly fine, but they should fuck off from the thread and stop pretending their opinion has any value.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm convinced it's just the name Baldur's Gate.

How or why some games are able to generate so much hype is a bit of a mystery but it's the hype that seems to be the decisive element, not anything specific about the game. The entire career of Bethesda demonstrates this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom