Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Wrath of the Righteous is even worse than Kingmaker (which was already shit)

You might have some valid points in there, but for the most part you were just filtered.

The biggest flaw with WotR is the bugs. Even though the quest stuff are not buggy anymore after years of patching, the mechanics are still often broken. I just hit a new one where Death of Elements does not always convert elemental damage to Negative. There's always something new with each playthrough too.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Disagreed. Bg3 is popular due marketing and high production values. Also, owlcat target audience ia not critical role normies. Is grognards. I wanna game mechanics and the fictional universe as close as they can be. Wow is trash exactly due the high amount of gamey bs making the game purely a gear farming cooldown managing chore.

I dont wanna nonsensical gamey stuff. This is why I hated the new rogue trader.

Like it or not, game development costs are constantly rising. Not to mention with their next game being on the Unreal Engine...... thus Owlcat has no choice but to widen their audience if they want to survive.
This idea is trotted out like it's axiomatic. "Game development costs are constantly rising, nothing we can do about it!" Big studios have hundreds, if not thousands, of employees. Any company that large is filled with incompetents and lazy people hoping to not get noticed. You could fire half of them and it would improve productivity.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
game development costs are constantly rising

Due bloat mostly. The engines and other tools are mich better now than in the past. Remove chief diversity officer and similar worthless positions, start hiring based on merit and not on diversity, and the game developing will become less expensive. Musk fired 90% of twister staff and it improved.

behold_a_man

Educated
Like it or not, game development costs are constantly rising. Not to mention with their next game being on the Unreal Engine...... thus Owlcat has no choice but to widen their audience if they want to survive.
What does it mean?
a) Developing the same game in year Y costs more than developing it in year Y+1.
b) In order to get a return on investment ~X (or net income X) from a game, you need to invest more in year Y+1 than in year Y.
Or something else?
Due bloat mostly. The engines and other tools are mich better now than in the past. Remove chief diversity officer and similar worthless positions, start hiring based on merit and not on diversity, and the game developing will become less expensive. Musk fired 90% of twister staff and it improved.
Are you sure? I think the older (and bigger) the company, the more paper pushers there are - and it holds in general. This does not necessarily apply to newer studios.

I think the slower tools you use, the more expensive it is to create anything, and modern tools for making games (including engines and integrated development environments) tend to be hideously slow.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The funny thing about the troon shit is that the plot itself could have been written by Dugin.

Irabeth (Ira = wrath usually of God, MacBeth unmanned by his grasping wife, costing him his house and kingdom) is MtF troon who literally sold his family sword (cut off his dick = no family) to pay for tacking a fake one on his FtM wife.

His ancestral house (Tirablade Estate) has been taken over by a Sarkesian Succubus defended by her enthralled simps and a… Necrophage that looks like an undead dick whose main ability is called… Abandon Flesh.

I mean c’mon man. Seems a little on the nose.

scytheavatar

Scholar
What does it mean?
a) Developing the same game in year Y costs more than developing it in year Y+1.
b) In order to get a return on investment ~X (or net income X) from a game, you need to invest more in year Y+1 than in year Y.
Or something else?

Game devs need to be constantly hunger and constantly eager to upgrade their game to the next level. This means better graphics, games of bigger scopes, constant technical innovation............. if they don't do that players will be bored of their games eventually. And all that means having to hire more and better people to work on their games.
game development costs are constantly rising

Better tools = more expensive and more effort to get the most out of them. Look at devs demanding more low level control from Microsoft for Direct X 12 yet struggling to handle it when it's given. Or the large amount of studios that have died because of Unreal 5.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
The funny thing about the troon shit is that the plot itself could have been written by Dugin.

Irabeth (Ira = wrath usually of God, MacBeth unmanned by his grasping wife, costing him his house and kingdom) is MtF troon who literally sold his family sword (cut off his dick = no family) to pay for tacking a fake one on his FtM wife.

His ancestral house (Tirablade Estate) has been taken over by a Sarkesian Succubus defended by her enthralled simps and a… Necrophage that looks like an undead dick whose main ability is called… Abandon Flesh.

Irabeth is not a troon, just a dike, and storyteller is not a pedo and neither gay.

The woke part is not Owlcat's, it's Amber Scott who wrote the AP which was then adapted. This was repeated ad nauseam but you still have people not getting it.

If you really want to blame Owlcat is to have adapted it in the first place, but being current year and all it is what it is.

I feel disgusted to have posted in a Porky thread and I will do several rounds of prayers to clean myself.

Desiderius

Patron

Irabeth is not a troon, just a dike, and storyteller is not a pedo and neither gay.

The woke part is not Owlcat's, it's Amber Scott who wrote the AP which was then adapted. This was repeated ad nauseam but you still have people not getting it.

If you really want to blame Owlcat is to have adapted it in the first place, but being current year and all it is what it is.

I feel disgusted to have posted in a Porky thread and I will do several rounds of prayers to clean myself.
Storyteller absolutely is a pedo if you read that ridiculous wall of text. He’s even kind of sheepish about it. His little friend isn’t an Uzi.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat...t Greece and Rome,directed toward a grown man.

I know AP is Amber Scott and on the whole I’m glad they adapted it. Just saying either Scott or Owlcat is (unwittingly?) doing the opposite of glamorizing the reality of trannyhood here and even laying it on a little thick.

If Irabeth isn’t literally MtF the symbolism and character arc couldn’t be more glaring. He’s a hulking Orc.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

Storyteller absolutely is a pedo if you read that ridiculous wall of text. He’s even kind of sheepish about it. His little friend isn’t an Uzi.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catamite#:~:text=In ancient Greece and Rome,directed toward a grown man.

I know AP is Amber Scott and on the whole I’m glad they adapted it. Just saying either Scott or Owlcat is (unwittingly?) doing the opposite of glamorizing the reality of trannyhood here and even laying it on a little thick.

If Irabeth isn’t literally MtF the symbolism and character arc couldn’t be more glaring. He’s a hulking Orc.

Amber Scott is the same person who made Siege of Dragonspear and the infamous Mizhena or whatever was xir name, so nothing surprising here.

Owlcat made the game on a license from Paizo, they couldn't even if they wanted to remove those characters (which I am not saying is the case).

Now, Storyteller lives a few years with this half-elf, nowhere there are mentions of sexuality or affections too extreme between the two.

All I remember is drinking wine together on top of their tower which is akin as drinking beer with your bros at the pub (without any brojob afterward). You guys remind me of the people who said Sam and Frodo were gay, more projecting your own sexual fetishes than anything.

Desiderius

Patron

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catamite#:~:text=In ancient Greece and Rome,directed toward a grown man.

Amber Scott is the same person who made Siege of Dragonspear and the infamous Mizhena or whatever was xir name, so nothing surprising here.

Owlcat made the game on a license from Paizo, they couldn't even if they wanted to remove those characters (which I am not saying is the case).

Now, Storyteller lives a few years with this half-elf, nowhere there are mentions of sexuality or affections too extreme between the two.

All I remember is drinking wine together on top of their tower which is akin as drinking beer with your bros at the pub (without any brojob afterward). You guys remind me of the people who said Sam and Frodo were gay, more projecting your own sexual fetishes than anything.
Sam and Frodo weren’t, but they were the same age and milieu.

Kiny is a catamite. You’re like people who say men marrying women a generation younger is entirely natural. It is, but so is males using rape to enforce dominance.

Nature is red in tooth and claw, it is not identical to the good, true, or beautiful. If an accomplished older man acquires a dramatically younger companion far beneath his station conclusions will be drawn. Accurate ones.

I know they were stuck with them. The point is that the story looks like samizdat protesting that.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

Sam and Frodo weren’t, but they were the same age and milieu.

Kiny is a catamite. You’re like people who say men marrying women a generation younger is entirely natural. It is, but so is males using rape to enforce dominance.

Nature is red in tooth and claw, it is not identical to the good, true, or beautiful. If an accomplished older man acquires a dramatically younger companion far beneath his station conclusions will be drawn. Accurate ones.

I know they were stuck with them. The point is that the story looks like samizdat protesting that.

I am not saying it is normal or not, I am saying it is just in your head.

abf4egpekps71.png

Woah what a romance we have here guyz, obviously by precious stones he means his dick and all that.

Desiderius

Patron
That's not the one I'm talking about. But yes inserting a houseboy into his story is not an idle decision. Don't insult your own intelligence by claiming it is.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Well this is interesting. In the other modern CRPG threads, I had people assuring me that Owlcat was out here producing DnD kino straight out of the Motherland, with great gameplay and nary a hint of wokeness to be found. Now all I'm seeing is people mercilessly bashing this developer as a harbinger of CRPG decline. Which is it? Does this have anything to do with the free weekend they held last month exposing more people to the game?

I can only share my own experience, I suppose. I was exposed to it, and I liked what I played, even as a non-TTRPG fan. Calling Wrath woke is an extremely hard sell, at least in the parts of the game I've played so far. Like, yowzers, a black paladin! Am I supposed to be scared? No, some people are black. It doesn't feel contrived at all, and it helps that the other companions are great as well. I love the mongrel dude. They aren't hideously ugly for no reason, have distinct (and conflicting) goals and motivations, aren't best friends with you instantly, and none of them tried to jump my goddamn bones the first time we sat down after setting up camp. That's much more than we can say for a certain other CRPG.

I can't address the gameplay concerns for now, as I haven't even reached the Water Elemental yet. I admit the rest restrictions do sound a bit harsh on paper, a bandaid fix for a broader problem with the tabletop version's systems, perhaps.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Wrath is a game that has a lot of potentially deep and interesting stuff going on under the hood, but ultimately lacks the interesting gameplay content to test it on. It also really, like REALLY, does not believe in the old and very much true "brevity is the soul of wit" paradigm. I'm already bored by the 20th ghoul/gargoyle spawn, I don't need thirty more to make sure.

It's also shockingly bad from the polishing perspective. Like the TB mode somehow was more bugged and much more clunky than it was in KM, despite being implemented from the start while it was bolted on long after the release after being ported from a mod in the latter.

And yeah, the writing is horrid at times. Not that you should care much, it's a computer role playing game after all.

Desiderius

Patron
Well this is interesting. In the other modern CRPG threads, I had people assuring me that Owlcat was out here producing DnD kino straight out of the Motherland, with great gameplay and nary a hint of wokeness to be found. Now all I'm seeing is people mercilessly bashing this developer as a harbinger of CRPG decline. Which is it? Does this have anything to do with the free weekend they held last month exposing more people to the game?

I can only share my own experience, I suppose. I was exposed to it, and I liked what I played, even as a non-TTRPG fan. Calling Wrath woke is an extremely hard sell, at least in the parts of the game I've played so far. Like, yowzers, a black paladin! Am I supposed to be scared? No, some people are black. It doesn't feel contrived at all, and it helps that the other companions are great as well. I love the mongrel dude. They aren't hideously ugly for no reason, have distinct (and conflicting) goals and motivations, aren't best friends with you instantly, and none of them tried to jump my goddamn bones the first time we sat down after setting up camp. That's much more than we can say for a certain other CRPG.

I can't address the gameplay concerns for now, as I haven't even reached the Water Elemental yet. I admit the rest restrictions do sound a bit harsh on paper, a bandaid fix for a broader problem with the tabletop version's systems, perhaps.

It's contrived because she's a chick, but yeah black whatever. It's out of place for the setting. Obvious tokenism is obvious. Blacks don't put token white nerds in their shit. It's ghey.

Most of the woke stuff is front-loaded for journos/funders and there are some good themes woven in including some that subvert the usual narratives. Overall though canning their editor because femcunt witch hunt really cost them.

I'm already bored by the 20th ghoul/gargoyle spawn, I don't need thirty more to make sure.

The tools are there to make those routine, which is part of the design challenge for the player, as is deciding how many resources to spend on those fights. In general though rest are too easy to get which blunts that part of the challenge.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Here's some tips to make life easier on fights that can be tough for new players or PorkyThePaladin:

Nulk Draconic Resilience.jpg

Some of the hardest fights are against foes that can cast a high DC version of this spell. Camellia can get this Hex which gives immunity to it at lvl 7 which is where they start showing up.

Bubble Buff can apply it to team simulataneously (it's limited use so not really an exploit) or just put it on characters with Remove Paralysis pre-fight.

Nulk fight Dark Veil.jpg

The other thing that can bite you in this fight (or against Ghouls in general) is Huntmasters lighting up your back line. They get 4 attacks per turn so useful to prepare with Prot Arrows, Communal and this item that's for sale in Drezen Tavern.

Nenio 7 Blinding Ray.jpg

If you have Nenio in your party she can also Blind them with her School ability, making them miss a lot and easier to hit for you. They count as 6HD so her ability works on them by the time you get to her quest as well as Lost Chapel.

The ability is no save, just have to hit Touch AC.

Desiderius

Patron
Loving me some Ulbrig Grappling:

Ulbrig 7 Vrock abilities failing.jpg

Not today, Mr. Vrock. It's nicely balensed too because if he's Grappling he's not doing nearly as much damage and being in a Grapple makes him more vulnerable to other attax so have to be careful with it. Also Death from Above can only be activated in combat to can't open with it unlike other Charges.

Ulbrig Stunning Fist vs Derakni.jpgWolj 7 vs Stunned Dearakni.jpg

This is a pretty funny addition to it. I'm using a mod for the Feral Combat Training Feat which lets you use Unarmed abilities with Natural Attacks and Dragon Style Feats on him. Stunning Fist is a prereq from Dragon Ferocity so took it and now he can add a stun to his Grapple attack. He wants WIS anyway so its pretty effective if limited use so far.

Reg Signifier 8 Frigid Touch.jpgReg 8 Signifier Rainbow.jpg

Respecced Reg into a Phantasmal Mage/Hellknight Signifier and it's a nice one. Can Extend Frigid Touch on the fly to make the Stagger two rounds, no save. Smilo goes from five attacks to one. Heavy Armor Training makes him tanky enough to wade it for Touch Attax.

Pretty nice DC on the Rainbow Pattern to open combat too.

Skills on Map Nenio Arcana.jpg

His main role is just being a Knowledge World specialist to find igredients on map and reliably cook and brew back at camp since this is Chaotic run.

Here is a tip to make life easier for you: Play better games™.

After putting down the shit that is shitquel to Duncefinder: Poopmaker, I am currently playing Underrail, and holy shit, the difference is like between Backstreet Boys (Shitmaker: Pooperfinder) and Bob Dylan (Underrail).

Interesting builds that can be experimented with using logic and common sense and in-game information instead of having to read through some obscure neckbeard wikis written by cellar dwellers, and further-more, can be used in fun combat, where tactics and skill usage make up the gameplay instead of opening up the inventory and having your cat tapdance on it for 2 hours as you pre-buff.

Oh and interesting exploration, where you are not dealing with stupid traveling mechanics (ie boring 2 hour rests where NPCs try to put THE PLAYER to sleep) and corruption and kangdom management.

Oh and short and to the point dialogue without mountains of boring woke shit.

NotSweeper

Educated
Desiderus is some kind of humanities professor aka peak midwit.
Point of fact, humanities only harbors the best humanity has to offer, especially nowadays. If you go into humanities knowing the current, kiked out materialistic zeitgeist we all inhabit, that instantly marks you as a man of quality (providing you're not a wokefag). I myself lacked the balls to do it. STEMfags on the other hand are the picture perfect example of the Nietzschean Last Man.
Cuckretarder games' supposedly compelling and deep gameplay systems
There's two types of people on this earth, those that recognize the greatness of the Pathfinder system (and by extension the vidyas) and people who are wrong.
What wokefaggotry can be found there exists merely as a way to prevent perfection.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom