Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline WRPGs have hit rock bottom

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Be change that you wanna see and that good self-leveling up jazz. Curate your entertainment. All intakes ejaculate code into your brain. Don't be brain slut for globalist goblins like DA4, Starfield and Awoved to cum into your brain, bugake style
Don't worry, I am never spending a single second of my time playing Bearsex Gays 3, Shitfield, Awoked, Vilefart or VTM: Dumpsterphyre. Wouldn't play them even for free.

And? They're still churning out NOTHING but trash! I have no RPGs to play that aren't old! EVERYTHING IS SHIT.

I'm really enjoying SKALD. Maybe you should try it.

I was downloading it when I read it has level scaling, I refunded it instantly.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I think that the people who complain endlessly about bad AAA games suffer from personal insecurity. They're not primarily interested in "good RPGs" - plenty of those exist and I doubt many even on the codex have played even half of them. What they want is mainstream approval of the part of their identity that involves video games. It's not enough to reinstall Deus Ex or BG2 for the nth time and have fun, they want large companies to produce stuff for them, specifically, while at the same time priding themselves on having tastes better than the great unwashed masses. Easy to see how these two wants are incompatible. It's honestly not so different from browns or homosexuals who demand "representation" everywhere. You can do what you want, of course, but rather than bitching about coal you might find it more satisfying to search for diamonds.
You're partly right, but it's also the realization that we used to get good production value with our good RPGs. Now you usually have to choose one or the other. You can play Age of Decadence or Fallout 76, but you're not getting another Fallout 1.
But we got Baldur's Gate 3.
I know, and then a bunch of devs freaked out on twitter because they didn't want players expecting them to match that.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The era of semi-hemi-demi incline in CRPGs that began in 2012 only lasted through 2018, with 2019 being a truly dismal year for the genre. However, since then there has been a surge in tactical RPGs and non-RPG squad-based tactics games with RPG elements; a fair number of good ones have been released since 2020. We've also been receiving some high-quality Open World Action RPGs, including Codex GotYs 2022 (Elden Ring), 2024 (Dragon's Dogma II), and 2025 (Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2). And there have been a few other odd but worthwhile RPGs (or games considered by the Codex to be CRPGs), such as Suzerain and Black Book. For tactics:
  • Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children (2020, squad-based tactics game)
  • Dungeon of Naheulbeuk (2020, squad-based tactics game)
  • Wasteland 3 (2020, Tactical RPG and Codex GotY)
  • Urtuk (2021, squad-based tactics game)
  • Solasta (2021, Tactical RPG) and another two campaigns with the same engine
  • Wildermyth (2021, Tactical RPG)
  • King Arthur: Knight's Tale (2022, squad-based tactics game)
  • Jagged Alliance 3 (2023, Tactical RPG and Codex GotY)
And there are probably a few more I haven't played (yet). Even Baldur's Gate 3 adopted a turn-based tactical combat system derived from "Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition" similar to Solasta's system, emblematic of this shift.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Except by games being so bugged and codded by so incompetent diversity hires that they would`t even launch, how they can decline even more?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The worst period for the genre was undoubtedly around 2006-2012, more or less. Obviously the kids at the time didn't realize that and happly ate that slop. Now for some reason they think they are living in some kind of gaming apocalypse. It just show how manipulable their little brains are.

ADL

Prophet
Who gives a shit about AAA when the bar has been exponentially lowered to the point where a game like Tainted Grail Fall of Avalon can exist?

Even more applicable if you're an isometric autismo.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Who gives a shit about AAA when the bar has been exponentially lowered to the point where a game like Tainted Grail Fall of Avalon can exist?

Even more applicable if you're an isometric autismo.

That game is a masterpiece. Sadly people talk way more about Avoided...

jf8350143

Liturgist
I don't know what you are talking about. At least now we get some nice indie titles every year and there are some good 2A rpgs.

Much better comparing to the 2010 era

Frozen

Arcane
Important thing beside games being shit is how dated they are in terms of visuals. Everyone uses Frostbite or Unreal and both engines are dated shit and there is almost no going forward in terms of visuals for 10y

So, all games look like Pixar cartoons for toddlers.

When is the next console coming out? Are consoles even a thing anymore or retards kill them with ZERO progress since last gen, so no one buys them, and everyone is on PC now lel

There is a big technical stagnation going over for a decade, Corpos are even killing progress paying people to use their old ass shitty engines.

Potatos dumper Red Engine that still with no enhance looks 10 times better than garbage used these days and it's from a game from almost 10y ago.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
On one hand they are much more getting released I could play that I'd have the time to play but in the same time there're not as much I'm super excited about as I'd like. I think the main reason is that they're not that many where you create your party at the start which is probably the most important feature to me while the few ones with party creation have no reason to be the most exciting ones to me on other fronts.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
When is the next console coming out? Are consoles even a thing anymore or retards kill them with ZERO progress since last gen, so no one buys them, and everyone is on PC now lel
All consoles are shit and there seems to be very little difference between each release.
Unless you factor in all the fucking spyware they put into the things...

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It is to Tamriel Rebuilt we must place our hope
Absolutely.

I just started playing the most recent version last week, and it surpasses any commercial release of the last twenty years in quality. And there's plenty of quantity, too. Four days of playing deep into the night, and I still haven't left the first little corner of the map, beyond a few excursions into the wilderness to explore dungeons.

And Tamriel Rebuilt isn't even 50% done yet. It'll be glorious once they finish the entire Morrowind mainland.
And on top of that, we're getting the first big Province Cyrodiil release later this year, with a sizeable chunk of the western coast, including plenty of quests and dungeons, and many islands to explore. This is the Cyrodiil as it was supposed to be, not the shitty lame-ass generic fantasyland of Oblivion.
And Skyrim: Home of the Nords is also making good progress on its second public release, almost doubling the area of the first.

We're eating good, Morrowind enjoyers. Real gourmet shit.

Just the small area of Tamriel Rebuilt I've explored this week contained more creativity than the gaming industry has displayed in two decades.
NWN > Morrowind.
:kingcomrade:
Gargaune

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sadly, NWN is a shit game in every aspect and not even the highest quality modules can save it.
Also, D&D lore is lame and boring compared to Morrowind lore so the mods aren't half as interesting as Tamriel Rebuilt anyway.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sadly, NWN is a shit game in every aspect and not even the highest quality modules can save it.
Also, D&D lore is lame and boring compared to Morrowind lore so the mods aren't half as interesting as Tamriel Rebuilt anyway.
Just teasing you, man. It's akin telling ERYFKRAD that casters are better than filthy barbarians because we have finger of death and pointy ears :)
PS: pls don't summon Viktor and (((gnome))) lovers.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just teasing you, man. It's akin telling @ERYFKRAD that casters are better than filthy barbarians because we have finger of death and pointy ears :)

LOL. No, against Barbarians, Finger of Death is not the best spell. They have high FORT save in 3e and in 2e, they have bonus on saves against magic while raging. Not mentioning, they tend to live in Barbarian tribes, the best spell to use against them is Chaos followed by invisibility and/or fly. You just watch them kill themselves. Much better than just killing one of them.

plenty of good roguelikes the last few years
Is there anything better or at least comparable to TOME?

I liked ADOM a bit more. Just a matter of taste, not saying that ToME is bad. ADOM is more "old school" and don't have cooldowns for example, nor skill trees, to learn a spell you need to find a book and read it. Necromancy require corpses and the "white necromancy"(construct) requires clay.

Other rogue like that I liked a lot is Rogue Empire, but the DLC heroes are much better than base classes.

Vatnik Wumao
Only good content in the whole series is MotB, simple as.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's akin telling @ERYFKRAD that casters are better than filthy barbarians because we have finger of death and pointy ears :)
Buddy we'll see how far that finger takes you once I break it and stuff it up your pointy ears. :argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom