Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, that was exhausting! It was 12:00 when I started! It's 15:43 now! But that's much better than not answering. Sorry to keep some of you waiting for 2+ pages, really hope I didn't miss anything. I spent three weeks now writing dialogues, making a super secret new feature, chatting with consoles, listening to new music we got, etc. Like I said in one of the comments we're still transferring textures, items and models into a more wintery look, so the actual game develops with the pace of a snail, but we're doing more work than we did on Atom all summer. We made a really cool quest yesterday, it's really, really good, so good it hurts. Also a famous gaming channel SplatterCat made a video about us https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lx5IrKvH5U look at him go. Apart from that, I guess that's all the news.
Thank you for sharing your time and answering the people in here. Have you every considered adding nationality or religion to the characters in the game? Like affecting the character build and gameplay? You might shy away from nationalities since it's controversial topic, but you could atleast considering adding several different joinable post-apocalyptic religions and cults in the game. Choices like this might the game more replayable.

Judging from portraits you can play as pretty much every one of every 200 + Nations which inhabited USSR and some of those names even sound like Potato and Czech too. As to religion it would be hard to have one after being raised by Soviet Army but my PC roll plays a secret Orthodox Christian and Russian Nationalist which was as not that uncommon among military men back then.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Wow, that was exhausting! It was 12:00 when I started! It's 15:43 now! But that's much better than not answering. Sorry to keep some of you waiting for 2+ pages, really hope I didn't miss anything. I spent three weeks now writing dialogues, making a super secret new feature, chatting with consoles, listening to new music we got, etc. Like I said in one of the comments we're still transferring textures, items and models into a more wintery look, so the actual game develops with the pace of a snail, but we're doing more work than we did on Atom all summer. We made a really cool quest yesterday, it's really, really good, so good it hurts. Also a famous gaming channel SplatterCat made a video about us https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lx5IrKvH5U look at him go. Apart from that, I guess that's all the news.
Thank you for sharing your time and answering the people in here. Have you every considered adding nationality or religion to the characters in the game? Like affecting the character build and gameplay? You might shy away from nationalities since it's controversial topic, but you could atleast considering adding several different joinable post-apocalyptic religions and cults in the game. Choices like this might the game more replayable.
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do! I love replying! It might not read as well (or at all) for a non former USSR dweller, but we have distinct nationalities among the NPCs and the player portraits. So the nationality is there, it's just that it's not stated with words, and you don't get different reactions from portrait to portrait. As for religion - an Atom cadet cannot have one. If you grew up in this pre-war military atheist society and still developed faith, they'd probably eject you out of a moving helicopter. However, you can kind of sort of join a few belief-based clubs that will give you abilities and in one case even ruin your whole game! So there's that. And religion is growing in the game. We're setting all these people with different beliefs we have in Atom for something awesome in the long run. So there's gonna be religion. In like 20 years when we make a sequel.
Btw Atomboy, this might sound like a silly suggestion, but I think "Give all" button would be an awesome addition to existing "Take all" button for all the loot whores (like myself), especially when interacting with your car and that beautiful trunk of endless space :oops:
I'm gonna discuss it with the guys on Saturday. Sounds like a good function at least for only the car.

I wish the combat was more like Fallout tactic where you have complete control of your team members. It's not fun playing turn based combat when you only can fully control your pc character during combat.
Thing here is we would need to make encounters challenging for a full party of characters. But what if a player fucks up follower recruitment and has to play with only one follower or god forbid solo? If the combat encounters are made to make the game challenging even for a full party, even the weakest enemies would destroy a solo character. Since the player is free to take or not to take a party with him, we need to remove cointrol over NPCs at least a tiny bit or the game will never have proper difficulty without level scaling. And I hate level scaling!

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Thing here is we would need to make encounters challenging for a full party of characters. But what if a player fucks up follower recruitment and has to play with only one follower or god forbid solo? If the combat encounters are made to make the game challenging even for a full party, even the weakest enemies would destroy a solo character. Since the player is free to take or not to take a party with him, we need to remove control over NPCs at least a tiny bit or the game will never have proper difficulty without level scaling. And I hate level scaling!

Why not balancing the combat for a full party control and adding some features to ease things for retards going solo ?
Like reducing enemies level and/or numbers and artificially adding speed/initiative/AP (more turns) to solo characters ?

Fallout had that huge success in spite of not having control over all the characters because everything else is damn good but even then, mods fixed that and both Fallout offer full party control.

Murk

Arcane
Atomboy thanks for the responses mang (and for making the game!), I'll post pics of the ones I was referring to when I get home (out of state right now).

Got to play with the dead city and the stalker/metro vibes are awesome.

Overall, this is a great game, and I'm 1000000000000% stoked for what you guys do next, as it's a guaranteed purchase/kickstart/whatever from me.

I also convinced 2 other people to buy the game because it's fun as hell and hey were saying they wanted more Fallout 1/2.

Üstad

Arcane
So the nationality is there
I know I just asked if it's possible them to affect gameplay.

t. As for religion - an Atom cadet cannot have one. If you grew up in this pre-war military atheist society and still developed faith, they'd probably eject you out of a moving helicopter.
Well lore wise make sense. If we had a chance to say fuck ATOM in middle of the game then I would insist about it.

. We're setting all these people with different beliefs we have in Atom for something awesome in the long run. So there's gonna be religion. In like 20 years when we make a sequel.
Xorosho. Sounds really promising. I'm glad you guys considered that.

CoronerZg

Augur
Why not balancing the combat for a full party control and adding some features to ease things for retards going solo ?
Like reducing enemies level and/or numbers and artificially adding speed/initiative/AP (more turns) to solo characters ?

Fallout had that huge success in spite of not having control over all the characters because everything else is damn good but even then, mods fixed that and both Fallout offer full party control.

Personally, I don't mind not being able to control companions since I always play solo (or with my faithful Wolfter - but in his case, not having full control makes sense and I believe it increases immersion).

But if you'd like to do it, I think the easiest way to balance it would be through stealth. When you play solo, make combat start with player out of combat with ability to plan his attack or sneak through and when you have a full party, you are loud and easy to spot, hence enemies are always waiting for you. Or at least most of the time - some enemies should be surprised even by your full party just to make it interesting. And sometimes even when you're solo you should fall into traps and end up surrounded and fucked - my favorite Atom fight ever is me and my doggo vs caravan headhunters. Replayed it like 300 times until finally both me and doggo survived. I even continued playing after doggo died, cause I survived by a skin of my teeth and it was glorious fight, but then I reloaded again cause I couldn't let my doggo stay dead and played like 100 more times until we both survived :shittydog:

flushfire

Augur
But you can unlock a lock if you lack one point of lockpick! Same with tech.
Important lock and tech checks have thresholds. Maybe not all of them, but the notable ones do. The message for not meeting the lockpick threshold is different from the message you get when simply failing. And there is no way to repair the death tunnel turbine with tech, use the nuke computer, or use the mountain pass database at the end of the level without meeting the exact threshold.

But savescumming is a choice.
Like I said, it's not about eliminating savescumming. Also if you want to encourage the player who picked Technophobe to actually not try to craft or rely on tech then you can simply do it using the game's rules instead of asking him to LARP the disadvantage.

Last edited:

Bergblatstein

Novice
Atomboy
Where two-handed melee weapons ever considered while making Atom, stuff like spears and sledgehamers, is it a limitation thing?
Couldnt find anything while searching this thread.
Will it be considered for Trudograd game?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Oh, in Underrail the bitches own you. For details, check the Foundry.

Here you can fuck bitches and whore yourself a bit. Owning slaves? Only on one ocasion, but it's a cute girl so you can LARP pimping her. In game you can just place her in the kitchen :)

Last edited:
Oh, in Underrail the bitches own you. For details, check the Foundry.

Here you can fuck bitched and whore yourself a bit. Owning slaves? Only on one ocasion, but it's a cute girl so you can LARP pimping her. In game you can just place her in the kitchen :)
Wow looks like Atom RPG is in fact the superior game after all.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well UR has let me down, so i have to ask here: Can you own bitches in Atom RPG? It's very important to me to own bitches at all times. I'm insecure like that.

You can save or buy in game one girl and then either free her in Igograd or sell her to local bratva as whore. With mods you can sell more girls to Slavers and Bratva or train her to be useful in combat but... if you do dastardly things the Comrade Fidel will turn hostile though so its better to do it in your full evul play-through where you pick the crazy chick instead. So yes the game is full of patriarchy and mysogony is realistic and offers nice choices and consequences without being edgy for its own sake Comrade.

Well UR has let me down, so i have to ask here: Can you own bitches in Atom RPG? It's very important to me to own bitches at all times. I'm insecure like that.

You can save or buy in game one girl and then either free her in Igograd or sell her to local bratva as whore. With mods you can sell more girls to Slavers and Bratva or train her to be useful in combat but... if you do dastardly things the Comrade Fidel will turn hostile though so its better to do it in your full evul play-through where you pick the crazy chick instead. So yes the game is full of patriarchy and mysogony is realistic and offers nice choices and consequences without being edgy for its own sake Comrade.
Nice. Also, i wasn't aware the game has mods. These are on nexus?

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Thing here is we would need to make encounters challenging for a full party of characters. But what if a player fucks up follower recruitment and has to play with only one follower or god forbid solo? If the combat encounters are made to make the game challenging even for a full party, even the weakest enemies would destroy a solo character. Since the player is free to take or not to take a party with him, we need to remove control over NPCs at least a tiny bit or the game will never have proper difficulty without level scaling. And I hate level scaling!

We decided to go against level scaling and enemy scaling very early on, because the wounds caused by some then new rpgs with scaling were still fresh. Plus we got verbally abused and levelscaling-shamed on the codex! Plus, that system we got there, it's... how should I put it. Rigid as F. Thus, this was the compromise.
Atomboy thanks for the responses mang (and for making the game!), I'll post pics of the ones I was referring to when I get home (out of state right now).

Got to play with the dead city and the stalker/metro vibes are awesome.

Overall, this is a great game, and I'm 1000000000000% stoked for what you guys do next, as it's a guaranteed purchase/kickstart/whatever from me.

I also convinced 2 other people to buy the game because it's fun as hell and hey were saying they wanted more Fallout 1/2.
I don't see any portraits you posted later on, but I remember checking every possible person you could've meant, and they were all random people we know. Basically, after paying our respects with the first few hundred portraits, we went straight to random people with written permissions, just in case, you know. I don't think there was anyone whom I would like to pay tribute to in the game by the time we got to the hull and other late game locations. Unless you meant that homeless person looking guy, because one of my buds used the photo of a swedish novelist for that one.
I'm really glad you liked the later parts, they stand out for me too. Thank you very much, man! If you only knew the fears Trudograd gives me, you'd know how much this is appreciated! :DD

So the nationality is there
I know I just asked if it's possible them to affect gameplay.

t. As for religion - an Atom cadet cannot have one. If you grew up in this pre-war military atheist society and still developed faith, they'd probably eject you out of a moving helicopter.
Well lore wise make sense. If we had a chance to say fuck ATOM in middle of the game then I would insist about it.

. We're setting all these people with different beliefs we have in Atom for something awesome in the long run. So there's gonna be religion. In like 20 years when we make a sequel.
Xorosho. Sounds really promising. I'm glad you guys considered that.
Well... Sometimes, nationalities do affect the livelihoods of NPCs. It's just that they're their nationalities, not the player's! :D We're too careful for that. I remember Soviet Union being this one big happy family, with every nation having terrible, cruel jokes and offensive stereotypes about the others and it was awesome. iI bet I could get away with nationality-based humor back then. Not anymore! No sir! As for the rest - stay tuned, it's gonna happen somewhat.

Personally, I don't mind not being able to control companions since I always play solo (or with my faithful Wolfter - but in his case, not having full control makes sense and I believe it increases immersion).

But if you'd like to do it, I think the easiest way to balance it would be through stealth. When you play solo, make combat start with player out of combat with ability to plan his attack or sneak through and when you have a full party, you are loud and easy to spot, hence enemies are always waiting for you. Or at least most of the time - some enemies should be surprised even by your full party just to make it interesting. And sometimes even when you're solo you should fall into traps and end up surrounded and fucked - my favorite Atom fight ever is me and my doggo vs caravan headhunters. Replayed it like 300 times until finally both me and doggo survived. I even continued playing after doggo died, cause I survived by a skin of my teeth and it was glorious fight, but then I reloaded again cause I couldn't let my doggo stay dead and played like 100 more times until we both survived :shittydog:
Oh man, I wished more people liked constantly reloading hard fights to get the outcome they want without hating on us on Steam! I like reloading. I played one fight for a day one time when I was trying to larp a lawful good party in TOEE. It was so cool when the glabrezu or whatever the hell it was dropped.
The balance and skill tree guy is currently playing around with stealth, but I honestly can't say why or what for. Maybe we'll really have cool toggleable sneak with view cones like a metal gear solid game. Probs not!

But you can unlock a lock if you lack one point of lockpick! Same with tech.
Important lock and tech checks have thresholds. Maybe not all of them, but the notable ones do. The message for not meeting the lockpick threshold is different from the message you get when simply failing. And there is no way to repair the death tunnel turbine with tech, use the nuke computer, or use the mountain pass database at the end of the level without meeting the exact threshold.

But savescumming is a choice.
Like I said, it's not about eliminating savescumming. Also if you want to encourage the player who picked Technophobe to actually not try to craft or rely on tech then you can simply do it using the game's rules instead of asking him to LARP the disadvantage.
Sorry dude, I didn't get to test it, but when first planned, every skill check had a success chance, and the fail message popped out when the chance was too tiny, to let the player know he might be there for a while. On the second part of your post, tho, it's a nice suggestion, told the guys to make it so tenchophobic character will never get starting recipes, unless he buys them, and lower the percentage a bit. Maybe it's gonna go into tomorrow's patch!
Atomboy
Where two-handed melee weapons ever considered while making Atom, stuff like spears and sledgehamers, is it a limitation thing?
Couldnt find anything while searching this thread.
Will it be considered for Trudograd game?
That stuff was real hard to animate, but now we have two whole animators helping out part-time, so there's gonna be more of the stuff. Planned for Trudograd are: melee option for rifles with bayonet, kyu gunto katana, a big euro sword, spear, polearm. Some of that is gonna die before being born, but hopefully some will survive.
Atomboy have balance issues of lower perk count on higher difficulty been adressed?
Unfortunately, this is how the balance guy makes difficulty. The reworked skill wheel will also be easier or harder to fill depending on how much points you get and you'll get 3 on hard, 5 on normal and 7 on easy or smth.

Atomboy have balance issues of lower perk count on higher difficulty been adressed?

Yeah, aside traits thats my biggest gripe with the game.

Well, we did fix a couple of traits in ways that nearly do nothing for the trait viability! Update coming up in a day or so!

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Anyway, here's a poorly drawn concept art of the KHOLODETC, a highly original acidic blob character do not steal.

D4MBIA7.png

Jinn

Arcane
Plus we got verbally abused and levelscaling-shamed on the codex!

As well you should have and thank you for listening when it happened!

You really are the best developer to have ever been on the codex, in my opinion. Such great communication, openness to well-argued criticism, and willingness to defend your ideas logically and pleasantly. Have all my brofists forever.

Murk

Arcane
I don't see any portraits you posted later on, but I remember checking every possible person you could've meant, and they were all random people we know. Basically, after paying our respects with the first few hundred portraits, we went straight to random people with written permissions, just in case, you know. I don't think there was anyone whom I would like to pay tribute to in the game by the time we got to the hull and other late game locations. Unless you meant that homeless person looking guy, because one of my buds used the photo of a swedish novelist for that one.
I'm really glad you liked the later parts, they stand out for me too. Thank you very much, man! If you only knew the fears Trudograd gives me, you'd know how much this is appreciated! :DD

Oh man, I totally blanked on posting the portraits. Thanks for the reminder man, and after how great you guys did, I have absolute confidence Trudograd will be a righteous game too.

This is the dude I am curious about:
1749396a9968eb9728ea97572e05a6dd.png

And for the one I thought was tay-tay, just as an oddity, was Lena Death:

f894a2f8059ab1369f7a5071aef342bd.png

Though looking at it again, I'm not as convinced (not as much as say Dunya being Allison Hannigan).

While I'm at it, here are some random disjointed thoughts that you may find useful (or a total waste of time! I'll spoiler it to conserve space; but regardless of any criticism I offer -- I just want to reiterate that I loved this game, through and through.)

• I liked that you guys kept a properly thematic UI in the same style as Fallout. I personally hate the trend of many modern games to all have this generic UI that has no real fit or place, and uses a monochrome 'silhouette' style of icons. Think Witcher 3, Last of Us, or more recently Remnant: From the Ashes. What I think could be a good improvement, particularly when we have to wait for the character to run from point A to point B, is to allow them to use the inventory menu and the character screen without stopping movement. This already works for the map and journal, which is great, but this is an ideal time to go over one's inventory or stats and just check things out. It helps cut down on the "wait until you get there" tedium and let's you avoid otherwise "wasting time" on going through your items or checking gear stats.

• Some of the perks/abilities are really lopsided. I know you guys redid these very thoroughly, so I appreciate that it's an iterative process, but if you're open to feedback then I'd suggest the following. Don't have all abilities/perks cost the same, as some are very strong and others are just minor benefits. The melee branch specifically has 2 extremely strong abilities (namely First Blood and Quick Reaction -- First Blood is borderline OP with the 'unlucky optimist' trait and something as efficient as the Quality Knuckleduster doing an aimed shot for the eye -- you can one shot pretty much everything.) I would suggest instead that the stronger abilities be at the end of the trees (which they mostly are now) and that the price of the ability goes up the farther you get in the tree (as well as how many you already have; just less so than now) and the "early" abilities are cheaper to get. This way you have to really decide "do I want that powerful ability that gives me 50% extra AP or 20% extra custom weapon damage.... or do I want to get 3 other smaller abilities that will help, like regen or carry weight).

• This game is gun porn in many ways and I love that aspect of it; I enjoyed collecting ammo, different guns, trying things out and seeing which I liked. However, after the initial excitement, there's some clear overlap and redundancy in both what you can buy and what you can make. The Quality Zip Gun and the Percussion Revolver+ for example are pretty much the same thing, only one uses 9mm and one uses .30... why not make it so the zip gun is stronger but has a crappier ammo capacity where-as the revolver has more bullets but does less damage per shot. Or something else, but as of now the only real difference is the ammo type usage but they're both pretty cheap ammo so you never really have to pick between one and the other. Afterall, if you can afford the toolbox you can probably afford 9mm or .30 rounds. Same with the melee branch -- the Knife Knuckle Duster is kind of meh compared to the Battle Glove (I'm leaving the boom glove out cuz it's unique). The glove is basically better since it has higher stun rate, more damage, costs fewer AP to use, and also requires a lower skill threshold to use. Something just to differentiate them would be cool, this generally applies to how much the glove/knuckledusters overlap, but particularly to these two because one is just an objectively better option than the other (save for skinning animals which you can get from another source.) Why not make it so the knife-knuckle can pierce armor more easily? Or perhaps some other side benefit -- it's AP cost is higher, so maybe make it so it does more damage? This applies to other weapons too, but many of the ranged weapons can be argued are fine cuz their AP costs are so different or they have different effective ranges. With the melee ones it just stands out much more. I think the way you separated the sniper rifle path and the multi-barrel shotgun path (of custom made weapons) is a good example of how you can make them unique but equally useful in different circumstances.
  • Having said all that, I loved how useful crafting was and look forward to more in the next game!

• I enjoyed all the in dialog stat/skill checks, even the small ones that just gave you extra fluff dialog and some minor xp. I think it's a great sign of a game's quality when "more of the game" is reward enough for having a build that has high luck or personality or whatever. Having said that, it's clearly overstacked in favor of Speechcraft and I'd argue Strength (though there's a ton of attention too, just that STR can make a hard fight turn into an easy one in many cases).

• Talking about skills, please offer more of an explanation in what they mean and what they do -- you don't have to go all out in being explicit in the vein of "59% chance to succeed" necessarily, but basically such that I wouldn't need to ask in Forums if stealth is always on or if it's just used in some cases. Perhaps even just a "passive" tag in the description? Same with stuff like First Aid. No clue what it does, never bothered to take it.

• Add a hotkey for 'unlock' please!

Okay that's enough, I'll just cap it off with saying the art in the loading screens is rad and I loved reading all the random graffiti spread all over the game world on walls and in tunnels.

Last edited:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Shame difficulty is determined by perk count. Removing tools from players to up the challenge is kinda meh. Thats lazy and decline right there :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom