Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Diggfinger

Arcane
Atomboy sorry if this was mentioned, but I tried out the new iso-model last night but sadly all the weapon-impact sound effects were missing? Music and other sounds were fine, but no sound when I hit the enemies with my melee weapons.

Is that something you've come across?

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Atomboy sorry if this was mentioned, but I tried out the new iso-model last night but sadly all the weapon-impact sound effects were missing? Music and other sounds were found, but no sound when I hit the enemies with my melee weapons.

Is that something you've come across?

I noticed some sound effects won't work if you are zoomed out too far. Try zooming in and then see if that works. Isometric seems to zoom out more than the normal mode allows.

Murk

Arcane
BTW, new patch released (1.091). Can't seem to find patch notes, so not sure what the changes are, but mayhapse fixed some issues with isometric view.

CoronerZg

Augur
BTW, new patch released (1.091). Can't seem to find patch notes, so not sure what the changes are, but mayhapse fixed some issues with isometric view.
+ 1.1091
  • Fixed sounds in the Isometric Mode;
  • Fixed the cutscenes in the Isometric Mode;
  • Fixed the graphical bugs in the Isometric Mode;
  • Fixed the camera controls on the global map in the Isometric Mode;
  • Fixed enemies in the dungeon beneath the Ratling Forest;
  • Fixed the detection of animals during battles;
  • The pig is back in the Chamber of Commerce bunker;
  • Escape now chooses the last option in the dialogues;
  • Fixed crashes in some places in the Dead City;
  • Added new animations to animals

CoronerZg

Augur
So I'm doing a new playthrough and this time I'm playing solo as a martial arts Grandmaster and total dick with focus on stealth and pick pocketing. And I must admit, I'm having a blast - increased difficulty you get for not using guns is something I've been really missing and the game kind of stopped being fun for me, cause combat encounters after level 10 are just not challenging.

Speaking of, I've encountered a few things that could/should be improved;

1) When you play unarmed, on skill level 150 you unlock some cool flashy moves with special bonuses (very high chance of a knockdown, critical hit, etc.), such as my favorite - a dragon kick \m/. Problem is, if you pick "Falcon punch" perk, it replaces your "Dragon kick" and it's actually worse in every way (less damage, weaker additional effects). This needs some revamping methinks... falcon punch should be combined with martial arts skill level somehow to give you "Dragon superkick" or some other silly anime shit :>

2) Pickpocket and timed explosive... so I have pickpocket level 150 and I can plant explosive on people relatively easy. But what's the point when after detonation everyone turns hostile even though I did the plant unnoticed? The only explanation I have would be balance purposes, but I can already kill anyone with cigarettes and on a much lower level than I need to be as pickpocket expert or to have access to timed explosives in the first place. Atomboy, fix please? :( ...I even unlocked "It's a Classic" steam achievement for planting the bomb, but then I needed to reload cause whole city wants me dead

Besides this, I have few lesser complaints/ideas;

3) Unarmed skill level 199 unlocks "Fatality expert" IE "Bloody mess with kicks and punches" and that's nice, but I think it should also increase critical chance, or knockdown chance or some other useful combat effect

4) When you aim your kick at someone's legs (aimed attack) it looks a bit silly cause your character does double kick to the head. Animations used for small animals (low kick/stomp) would look much better. Speaking of kicks and martial arts, it would also be cool to have some special move / kick that does no damage, but has almost 100% trip chance for some nice tactical combos

Anyway, keep it up comrades! And give that dude (or gal) who decided to put a dragon kick in the game a big hug! The Wasteland needs more of Chuck Norris! :obviously:

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You don't kill people when you giving them ciggs Comrade, its their own fault... but yes turning hostile after explosive should be removed unless they seen you planting explosive in first place now they turn hostile even if explosives take off behind closer doors and they have no way even knowing you are in same map wanted to balance the fight with Mycelum soldiers this way and it never worked.... would accept if the celling of bunker gave way and all the loot was buried under the tons of rocks instead or if you were in room alone and Gen secretary of Krasno just exploded then the guards would blame me for this no matter what but with passed stealth skill you should be able to rig entire rooms and buildings and got undetected unless there will be suspicion level implemented in game PnP style, like people starting to just fall after you arrived and if thieving will be reported and then you selling vast quantity of loot.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So, i re-installed ATOM and got past the starting room, it's way better and no more animated grass nor performance issues.

Actually, it's quite good, i didn't get very far though, just got out of the first village after doing the early quests.

Some minor complaints :

- The mushroom quest : either you should drop the number to four or add 1-2 more on the map, i spent too much time searching for the last two shrooms, found the mushroom struggle quite unnecessary.

- The dog and his master surrounded by four goons : they both died, i'm guessing the master is supposed to die and then you save the dog and have him as a follower, well, not sure how to do that other than having a sniper rifle, hoping they can shoot that far, i just own a zip gun and the rusty quest reward other than CC weapons ... So they both died ... :sad:

- The skin worm quest : difficult to tell who's compromised other than the guard because you obviously never met them before, maybe the location they talk about can be visited so you'd know if the pet is a cat or a dog, i feel like either the guide or the "disco" guy are compromised too but i have no clue so i picked the guard only ...

It's nit-picking mostly, but i feel like the two first points are valid.

Very good game so far.

Saduj

Arcane
Citizen - sounds like you got the dog encounter way too early. By the time I found him, I had both other companions and decent guns.

To be honest, if you’re able to save him, you don’t need him. Gets hard to keep him alive too.

Murk

Arcane
Struggling with mushrooms eh? Wonder what the Freudian implications are for that.

Anyway, on to the aptly named skin worm:

they're all telling a different version, and I think it's meant to be up to your interpretation of who does or doesn't have a skin-worm -- the only other person who claims it is alexander, who regularly lies about everything. I chose that they're all compromised, but not until I got the grenade off the one guy to kill the guard with the nice rifle. There is one other NPC that mentions that the old lady lives in a gas station, so that may be the one point that stays consistent, but otherwise all three contradict each other on at least some point.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Struggling with mushrooms eh? Wonder what the Freudian implications are for that.

Anyway, on to the aptly named skin worm:

they're all telling a different version, and I think it's meant to be up to your interpretation of who does or doesn't have a skin-worm -- the only other person who claims it is alexander, who regularly lies about everything. I chose that they're all compromised, but not until I got the grenade off the one guy to kill the guard with the nice rifle. There is one other NPC that mentions that the old lady lives in a gas station, so that may be the one point that stays consistent, but otherwise all three contradict each other on at least some point.

Sure, but the one you should analyse is ATOM's dev, i'm just playing a video game ;-)

About the skinworm and other spoilers :

I was tempted to say all 3 but i was afraid it'd turn into a bloodbath; as i was ill equipped; and i thought i'd get a somewhat easy fight this way and maybe get the disco guy as a follower but i didn't get any fight at all, disappointing.

Still, i chose to play without reloading after disappointing choices.
I wonder if i shouldn't restart, focusing on the right skills and trying to save the dog, now ...

Darth Canoli

Arcane
By the way, Atomboy

I believe we were talking about the combat balance (hard to tell who said what nowadays :roll: )

Well, after playing for a while, i can tell there is no combat balance to begin with so you should go for a full party control, even as an option and why not with some new difficulty settings if need be.

Also, the battle again the mutants in their fortress for the statue doesn't fit the battle system at all.

Regardless, i'm enjoying the game a lot, i wish there were more companions options, i don't like the character creation perks but in spite of all the flaws, i'm having a lot of fun.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played this game for a little bit when it first came out and couldn't be bothered to get out of the tutorial. How has the game improved since then? Are the bugs and translation issues fixed, is isometric mode bug-free and worth playing?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I played this game for a little bit when it first came out and couldn't be bothered to get out of the tutorial. How has the game improved since then? Are the bugs and translation issues fixed, is isometric mode bug-free and worth playing?

Didn't play the tutorial.

Traveling can be very dangerous early on and make some combat tedious (hit and run, circle around trees, ...).

Aside from that, i found the english correct (but i'm not a native speaker) and the game quite fun, specially once you get some followers and some decent equipment to survive the random encounters.

Hint : do not overlook armors because you lose some dodge, armors are the only way to survive.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane

Minor spoiler, very minor, but just in case re: restarting skills

There's a one-time full reset (other than the starting traits, but all stats/skills/perks) you can buy for 5000 rubles in the KRZ underground. An NPC sometimes appears there that sells it.

Diggfinger

Arcane
+ 1.1091
  • Fixed sounds in the Isometric Mode;
  • Fixed the cutscenes in the Isometric Mode;
  • Fixed the graphical bugs in the Isometric Mode;
  • Fixed the camera controls on the global map in the Isometric Mode;
  • Fixed enemies in the dungeon beneath the Ratling Forest;
  • Fixed the detection of animals during battles;
  • The pig is back in the Chamber of Commerce bunker;
  • Escape now chooses the last option in the dialogues;
  • Fixed crashes in some places in the Dead City;
  • Added new animations to animals

In other words:
Isometric-mode was bugged up the ass...
now it works (we think, possibly drunk on vodka)

Ah I luv these guys :smug:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Trying out isometric mode right now. The screen goes completely white every time a dialogue starts.

Murk

Arcane
A few thoughts on graphics (stylistically).

After seeing some of the indie games of equal or bigger budget in recent times, and ones on the horizon that look like they have promising gameplay... I'm so glad you guys didn't go for an over stylized cartoony look.

I know the current look probably fed at least 20-50% of the mouthbreathers on steam forums and elsewhere complaining about how "dated" it looks, but the clean graphical style is so much more palatable than a bright cell-shaded mess that some other games are clinging to in order to mask the technical limitations or low poly count.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
It seriously looks even better in the new "isometric mode" too.

So sick of all the cartoony shit coming out these days, particularly all the flat "minimalist" styles you see everywhere. It just feels soulless. Much prefer what we got with ATOM, and again, even more so from this new angle.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
the game ends right when you get the fun guns, damn give us 10 more hours after the final encounter, or let us have those guns mid game

also everyone in my party died, so I had a feeling me and atom would just take shit over, but alas, the game ends

also skorpion is op as fuck, 3 bursts a turn compared to every other smg/burst weapon

Sloul

Savant
They released a new patch (v 1.1092).
Hello, friends!
Here's another small patch to fix the bugs we found last time.
Along these fixes we're posting eight new weapon mods you, our community, has asked for. There is now a way to modify your weapon through found parts.
Thank you for continuing to give us great ideas! Let there be ATOM!
atomudpate.png

https://steamcommunity.com/app/552620/eventcomments/1631916887502068299/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom