Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style!

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Atomboy, Oct 1, 2016.

?

Will you back?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2017.
  1. I will consider it!

39 vote(s)
    54.9%
  2. No! I would never!..

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. kingcomrade

23 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Those are a lot of Ys.
    :shredder:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    Thanks Universe for that.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    • decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    UPDATE PASTA TIME

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Good day, friends!

We are continuing our work on a new version, designated 0.9. Here are the major features of this update, that’s gonna hit November 14th:

• New NPC and quests for the Il-62 location;
    • More NPC and quests for the new region the Mountain Pass of Woes;
    • More NPC and quests in old locations such as Krasnoznamenny, Fogelevka, Red Fighter;
    • A whole new bunker dungeon with traps, monsters and puzzles;
    • New random encounters;
    • New crafting recipes;
    • New items, including a night vision scope;
    • Pre-release version of battle mechanics;
    • New AI features;
    • New visual effects;
    • Fixes for many, many bugs;
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the bulk of the work went into making the locations even more settled, by adding new interactive NPC, quests, and so on. We are also continuing to polish the game mechanics AI and buggy features before the release. For the release date is almost upon us…

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    • incline incline x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. rusty_shackleford Liturgist

rusty_shackleford
    I spent about 30 minutes staring at the character create screen but couldn't decide on what my stats should be so I closed the game
    :shredder:

• Prestigious x 8
    • Funny x 6
    • incline x 5
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. HoboForEternity Arcane Patron

HoboForEternity
    the mark of good RPG: make autists quiver at char creation page, their brain overloaded by their innate desire of min-maxing.

• incline x 9
    • Yes x 4
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    Oh, I see you are making some area relief, so now it's not flat artificial thing it was before, very glad to see it as it was sore in the eye. Congrats!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. ColCol Arcane

ColCol

So beautiful! My interest has peaked!

• incline incline x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    We need a story mode for the character generation.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Cought the bullet and bought it in early acess. Game seems to be more bug free and complete in 0.85 than Kingmaker and besides its setting is much more fun than Paizo SJW nonsense. Visited only first three location though but so far I am impressed.

Some more impressions after playing for around 24 hours:

Tested the game some more and went as far as diplomat can go without support of dog ad 4 well armed and armored companions. The writing is very is very mature on one hand and very corny on other with citations from Conan the Barbarian, Lenin and Clint Estwood also found the NPC from Codex me thinks very hilarious encounter and nice AK-47 and tinfoil helmet if you have luck to meet him. No bugs encountered and game is very stable but also runs fast. The combat is hard and punishing but again did not played as STR, CON and DEX 10 Bonan character I guess it would become much easier once you get good armor and potent weapons. Only thing I did not liked is that Interface is still bare bones minimum with no way to check entire past conversation and minimal option of customization of setting but again its 0.85 Alpha build.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    A big new update. Looks like release is on target for December! Another one to add to the list of incline that 2018 has been bringing us.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/552620/announcements/detail/1715204401694911543

Looking great!

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    • incline incline x 7
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Feyd Rautha Cipher Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    How is the perk tree coming along? Are the branches making more sense now? And did you change the scaling of items in shops?

I would probably prefer handplaced items at merchants rather than them being random and dependent on your level.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. EnthalpyFlow Learned Patron

EnthalpyFlow
    Any info on the release date? Game looks amazing.

^ Top  
  13. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I'm guessing mid to late December, from what they're saying.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    Release version 1.0 is going to be out this December!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. EnthalpyFlow Learned Patron

EnthalpyFlow
    Nice! Thank you kindly, lads.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Kyl Von Kull Arcane Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    A turn-based, isometric post-nuclear RPG coming out right in time for Christmas? Boys, I say again: welcome to the late ‘90s.

• Excited! x 5
    • incline x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Black Angel Magister

Black Angel
    *flashback to Underrail's surprise release in December 2015*

It was a surprise for me because I wasn't keeping tabs on upcoming releases at the time, and I was also a popamoler back then

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Feyd Rautha Cipher Patron

Feyd Rautha
    That info is in the update and it's December.

^ Top  
  19. EnthalpyFlow Learned Patron

EnthalpyFlow
    Underrail is a fucking gem too.

• Brofist x 6
    • Agree x 4
    • Disagree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    I'll buy Atom.

• Brofist x 8
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    Wow, yesterday I fell asleep the second I wrote that update text for Steam. Only the nightmares reminded me I didn't post anywhere else!

So, thank you so much, Jinn! I was really hoping some good soul would repost this stuff here while I gather my strength for the last pre-release update!

I'll just add the usual stuff that we prefer not to mention in short Steam summaries: apart from adding to quests and locations, this one is the obligatory "freaks and weirdos" update. Some asked for clowns, some asked for a better brothel, some fondly remembered that time you could star in a New Reno adult production. Well, we got it all here! Rocky Horror inspired male prostitute General Nasty is ready to take you, a mentally challenged bodybuilder and two lady mutants for a ride of a lifetime, and you even get to keep the tape! Also, thanks to a backer from way too long ago, we now have a functioning circus with several adorable clowns and performers of all kind! Will YOU brave that stage?! Also you meet someone who claims they're from the future. You prepare to write him off as a simple alcoholic. But then you notice he is wearing a silver unitard and a chicken-themed hat?! Can he be for real?! Watch and see!

And now for the replies!!!

Yup, that we did. Probably gonna de-flatten finished areas too, one day! Glad you like it!

Thanks! :D It's finally ready!

Thank you for your trust! Now, in just a month, you will have the full version to play with!
    Checking past conversation is actually a pretty good idea that might crawl into a future update - we're going to update the game free of charge for a few months after the release too.
    As for combat - it might get a bit hardcore on the start, but as soon as you get weapons and don't go to high leveled enemies you should be fine!

Got some changes in the tree and values (though we always tinker with it), and it's the second update with no scaling already! Scaling's dead and done. Items depend on random, the merchant, and are sometimes hand placed (like the Otradnoye merchant mostly selling scrap + a few pricey things) but player's level has no involvement.

Second to third week of December, and probably +2-3 days for full English version after that. Though I'll do my best to provide English the same day Russian version hits.

Can't leave X-mas without a game for all the 90's people to play, now can we! :D

Thanks!!!

----------------------

And I think that's it!

Now!

THREE THINGS SO IMPORTANT I'LL CAPS THEM:

1. RELEASE VERSION COMING OUT THIS DECEMBER. 16th-26th are the imprecise dates of it happening.

2. THIS UPDATE IS CURRENTLY 90% ENGLISH TRANSLATED, I'M LETTING OUT THE OTHER 10% IN 1-3 DAYS. See, until I get the full Russian version, I can't start translating it. And I get the full Russian version 3-4 days before the release. Too little time for me and the team to process 4000-6000 lines of text, hence the eternal lag. I'll post when we're done.

3. WHEN UPDATE COMES OUT, SAVES FROM VERSIONS STARTING WITH 0.* WON'T WORK WITH IT, THE WIPE IS COMING! This is highly unfortunate, but it's the only way around some issues. Still, we added enough new stuff to starting areas that you won't get bored replaying them.

Thank you everyone, always happy to have the opportunity to read and reply in this thread. Though the crunch keeps me away from doing it often, Atom relies on the Codex a whole lot!

• Brofist x 18
    • incline x 3
    • Yes x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. a bear named spigot Arcane

a bear named spigot
    you're a good man, Atomboy, I look forward to playing your game.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    You have to plan for the real thing, after all.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. AdolfSatan Learned

AdolfSatan
    Oh boy, this is gonna be amazing.

To the codexers currently playing the beta: How is it coming with regards to bugs? Better wait a couple of weeks after release, or can one safely d1p?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    Well, I'm technically a codexer who plays the beta... :D Gonna be honest, today alone we found and fixed around 15+ bugs, and there's sure a lot to come. The good thing is that mostly they are: "Merchant does not have the rifle I want him to sell", "NPC's portrait background should be "House" not "Cave", "NPC's name pops above his head before he introduces himself", "This monster should not appear in this region, move it". "Typo in dialogue", etc. Little cosmetic things like that will plague us even after the release, for half a month at least, but most of them will be pretty much unnoticeable (that's why it's so hard to get them).

Bigger bugs became really rare since autumn. Seems like yesterday's version only had one - a door did not want to render, and we fixed it already.

Game-killing bugs - the ones that throw you out of the game, or ask for the game's ctrl+alt+del manual shutdown were not seen for at least three months, doubt they will be back.

The only big problem lies with antique ATI card users - some minimalist configurations cannot be helped. But to fall victim to that you need a 7+ year old laptop or an even older desktop with one of 3 specific ATI cards that hate us for some reason.

Thanks a lot! Hope you'll like it!!! :)

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)