Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Takamori

Learned
I still find it hilarious that Mystra thought it appropriate for Gale to blow himself up at the end of Act 2 and thus unleash thousands upon thousands of Mind Flayers upon the Sword Coast.
To be honest, it was Mystra, none of her versions were particularly intelligent. The whole character can be summed up as the biggest whore among the gods (and that's not even a joke).
Even Gale's story isn't as far-fetched as some people seem to think, considering what kind of person Mystra is.
This is what happens when you choose a wizard below lvl 10 (it was probably even 8) as a goddess of magic.
That's what happen when you choose women for any leadership position :argh:

Rhobar121

Scholar
I still find it hilarious that Mystra thought it appropriate for Gale to blow himself up at the end of Act 2 and thus unleash thousands upon thousands of Mind Flayers upon the Sword Coast.
To be honest, it was Mystra, none of her versions were particularly intelligent. The whole character can be summed up as the biggest whore among the gods (and that's not even a joke).
Even Gale's story isn't as far-fetched as some people seem to think, considering what kind of person Mystra is.
This is what happens when you choose a wizard below lvl 10 (it was probably even 8) as a goddess of magic.
That's what happen when you choose women for any leadership position :argh:
It's funny that it can't even be blamed on the delayed writing of 4e and 5e because if I'm not mistaken it happened in 2e

Hagashager

Educated
Enemies do try and push you into chasms if they can, it would be more noticeable if battles lasted longer.
They also shove their allies to wake them up form sleep for example. Makes sleep less of a free CC early game if you do it close to another enemy that takes a turn right after.

Sleep's 5e 24 hp limit makes it worthless. I selected it as one of the spells for my Warlock thinking it would be my workhorse in the early game, but I never used it once. There were barely any fights where there were enough enemies in that HP range anyway, and when I considered that my duel wielding warlock/fighter could do between 10-20 damage a turn (+ some bonus damage if I used hellish rebuke for my spells as a reaction) I found that just doing 24 damage within 1 to 2 turns was more helpful at reducing the number of enemies than 24 hp worth of sleep was.

It seems like it would be a pretty strong lvl 1 spell, where you could sleep 3 or maybe even 4 different enemies. But that was pretty much just the tutorial ship.

And playing on tactician with the enemy HP boost made it even less viable.
It's HP left, not total HP. Jesus all you phaggots are determined to keep banging your head into the same wall. You use it because it's also no save, so 100% hit chance, and even AoE if you've got several targets down low. Or don't. Just don't rag on something you haven't bothered to test.

Why Dual Wield a Warlock? Why the Fighter? Pact of the Blade already gets extra attack at lvl 5 and lets you use CHR stat on any weapon in the game. Just whale with the best available two-hander and let yourself get hit with Phys Resist to trigger Armor of Agathis. Bonus points for adding on no save Ray of Enfeeblement (preferably from someone with actual spell slots) if you're fighting a boss. Multiclassing Warlock costs you the best class feature, which is auto-upcast.

The 24 hp limit makes sleep pretty worthless, again aside from maybe lvl 1 or 2. Doesn't change much whether it is HP left or max HP. If I have an enemy down to under 20hp, I would rather just cause 20 damage and kill them so they are out of the fight permanently them than waste a turn casting sleep to temporarily remove them from the fight. Once you can regularly cause 15+ damage with an action, whether it is attacks or spells, sleep is just wasting one of your turns to waste one of the enemy turns. Which is really just a wash, and gives you no advantage.

I did fighter/warlock because I really want to just play a fighter (my first playthrough in most D&D games is usually a fighter). But due to the 4 character limit my character needs to fulfill some other roles. I pick the NPCs in my party based on what characters I want to interact with rather than their classes or utility. And that is one figher(LZ), one barbarian(Karlach), and one cleric(Shadowheart).

As a result my character needs to cover lockpicking and disarming and I also wanted to have at least some arcane spell casting. I had to restart with a new character (although when I was still early in act I when I saw the available companions it became clear I was gonna be without thief and arcane magic support) and since my highest stats were 16 Dex (for lockpicking and disarming) and 16 Cha (Since I am always the one talking), I went with Warlock as my arcane caster class to multi with. Since then I have picked up an item that gives me 18 dex. So that is definitely the stat I want to use with my weapons, not Charisma.

If I could have a proper 6 person party, there would be less need to gimp my character just to cover needed party roles. Trust me, I would much rather have a regular non-multiclassed fighter that doesn't need to pump so many points into Cha, although I was still planning on trying out a dex fighter rather than a str fighter. Although I am pretty disappointed with Fighters in D&D 5e, tbh.

I really hate the modern trend that fighters need to be dudes that do a bunch of special attacks rather than just being guys that are good at hitting things regularly to cause steady damage and absorbing damage to protect the party. I blame video games for having passed this "Everyone needs a bunch of special abilities to be fun!" idea down to tabletop.
It's not video games, trust me.

I run a 2e group. The party fighter, mechanically, has only *one* option in any fight: "I hit it with my magic sword". Sometimes he'll mix it up and whip out the Arquebus, but that's only ever as opening volley.

He was getting so bored that he'd start trying to do special moves like shoving, sucker-punching or other stuff he knew were mechanical concepts in D20 Conan (his favorite system).

I, as GM, had to work with him, housing ruling stunts he could do because as 2e would have it, either you hit the bad guy with a sword, shoot him with an arrow, or nothing at all.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Mystra was just a bad 5e character way ahead of her time.

I mean, look at this. And her original moniker was Midnight. D&D lore was never good.

1692723313089.png

Also Rhobar121 she was only level 7 before her ascension. Kek.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Enemies do try and push you into chasms if they can, it would be more noticeable if battles lasted longer.
They also shove their allies to wake them up form sleep for example. Makes sleep less of a free CC early game if you do it close to another enemy that takes a turn right after.

Sleep's 5e 24 hp limit makes it worthless. I selected it as one of the spells for my Warlock thinking it would be my workhorse in the early game, but I never used it once. There were barely any fights where there were enough enemies in that HP range anyway, and when I considered that my duel wielding warlock/fighter could do between 10-20 damage a turn (+ some bonus damage if I used hellish rebuke for my spells as a reaction) I found that just doing 24 damage within 1 to 2 turns was more helpful at reducing the number of enemies than 24 hp worth of sleep was.

It seems like it would be a pretty strong lvl 1 spell, where you could sleep 3 or maybe even 4 different enemies. But that was pretty much just the tutorial ship.

It's HP left, not total HP. Jesus all you phaggots are determined to keep banging your head into the same wall. You use it because it's also no save, so 100% hit chance, and even AoE if you've got several targets down low. Or don't. Just don't rag on something you haven't bothered to test.

Why Dual Wield a Warlock? Why the Fighter? Pact of the Blade already gets extra attack at lvl 5 and lets you use CHR stat on any weapon in the game. Just whale with the best available two-hander and let yourself get hit with Phys Resist to trigger Armor of Agathis. Bonus points for adding on no save Ray of Enfeeblement (preferably from someone with actual spell slots) if you're fighting a boss. Multiclassing Warlock costs you the best class feature, which is auto-upcast.

The 24 hp limit makes sleep pretty worthless, again aside from maybe lvl 1 or 2. Doesn't change much whether it is HP left or max HP. If I have an enemy down to under 20hp, I would rather just cause 20 damage and kill them so they are out of the fight permanently them than waste a turn casting sleep to temporarily remove them from the fight. Once you can regularly cause 15+ damage with an action, whether it is attacks or spells, sleep is just wasting one of your turns to waste one of the enemy turns. Which is really just a wash, and gives you no advantage.

I did fighter/warlock because I really want to just play a fighter (my first playthrough in most D&D games is usually a fighter). But due to the 4 character limit my character needs to fulfill some other roles. I pick the NPCs in my party based on what characters I want to interact with rather than their classes or utility. And that is one figher(LZ), one barbarian(Karlach), and one cleric(Shadowheart).

As a result my character needs to cover lockpicking and disarming and I also wanted to have at least some arcane spell casting. I had to restart with a new character (although when I was still early in act I when I saw the available companions it became clear I was gonna be without thief and arcane magic support) and since my highest stats were 16 Dex (for lockpicking and disarming) and 16 Cha (Since I am always the one talking), I went with Warlock as my arcane caster class to multi with. Since then I have picked up an item that gives me 18 dex. So that is definitely the stat I want to use with my weapons, not Charisma.

If I could have a proper 6 person party, there would be less need to gimp my character just to cover needed party roles. Trust me, I would much rather have a regular non-multiclassed fighter that doesn't need to pump so many points into Cha, although I was still planning on trying out a dex fighter rather than a str fighter. Although I am pretty disappointed with Fighters in D&D 5e, tbh.

I really hate the modern trend that fighters need to be dudes that do a bunch of special attacks rather than just being guys that are good at hitting things regularly to cause steady damage and absorbing damage to protect the party. I blame video games for having passed this "Everyone needs a bunch of special abilities to be fun!" idea down to tabletop.

I run a 2e group. The party fighter, mechanically, has only *one* option in any fight: "I hit it with my magic sword". Sometimes he'll mix it up and whip out the Arquebus, but that's only ever as opening volley.

He was getting so bored that he'd start trying to do special moves like shoving, sucker-punching or other stuff he knew were mechanical concepts in D20 Conan (his favorite system).

I, as GM, had to work with him, housing ruling stunts he could do because as 2e would have it, either you hit the bad guy with a sword, shoot him with an arrow, or nothing at all.
The reason is simple, this type of gameplay is simply boring in the long run.
Mystra was just a bad 5e character way ahead of her time.

I mean, look at this. And her original moniker was Midnight. D&D lore was never good.

View attachment 40400

Also Rhobar121 she was only level 7 before her ascension. Kek.
Even better

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
NWN2 OC was a trainwreck from start to finish most people were soured by it WAY before the ending.
Speaking of which, this game would have been ten times better if he and some of the old Black Isle or pre-exodus Obsidian gang had been in the writing team.
Good old Lyric "I complain about everything always" Suite.

Or maybe shit is shit and i'm just calling it like it is.
"This game would've benefited from Obsidian working on it" + "That game Obsidian made is shit" = you are retarded.

NWN2 OC was intentionally written to be shit, but Mask of the Betrayer showed the talent was there.

This game i think it's as good as you ever gonna get from those latte sipping faggots.

Hagashager

Educated
It's okay for fighters to just hit shit not everyone has to be a special snowflake(only wizards can be)
It is okay, my player (and myself honestly) are of the mind that modern fantasy has entirely too many special mages, quasi-mages and magical heroes. God forbid there be a swordsman who's just good at soldiering amdist the bootleg Avengers.

That said, it *feels* crummy to just hit things over and over again when the guy next to you can bend reality in ten different ways.

Funnily enough though, the party fighter *is* the heavy hitter of the gang. He has more ludicrous kills under his belt than the Party Mage, but almost all of it amounted to, "I slash at the Beholder with my sword." "I cut the Pit-Fiend with my Longsword."

Rhobar121

Scholar
NWN2 OC was a trainwreck from start to finish most people were soured by it WAY before the ending.
Speaking of which, this game would have been ten times better if he and some of the old Black Isle or pre-exodus Obsidian gang had been in the writing team.
Good old Lyric "I complain about everything always" Suite.

Or maybe shit is shit and i'm just calling it like it is.
"This game would've benefited from Obsidian working on it" + "That game Obsidian made is shit" = you are retarded.

NWN2 OC was intentionally written to be shit, but Mask of the Betrayer showed the talent was there.

This game i think it's as good as you ever gonna get from those latte sipping faggots.
Then you wake up and remember that Obsidian made the Outer Words

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there a way to fix hag quest in act III?
Bitch has 0hp and doesn't interact with me after I discover her true nature.
Not that it was difficult, she literally has a description under her name saying she's the hag I'm looking for.
Not sure if also a bug, or a feature for larianbrains.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Different types of fundamental attacks, like grappling or pushing, are fine. Fighters can also make use of whatever powers their equipment has, or that they carry (such as potions). Clever positioning should also be important for a fighter to try to tie down foes and block access to the parties squishier dudes. Fighters don't need super-duper-slam attacks they can use once per rest or whatever other dumb special abilities systems invent for fighters to have.

I just disagree 100% with the idea that everyone needs special abilities. And if players find playing fighters less fulfilling because they don't get to use special moves ever turn, they should play spell casters or one of the hybrid martial/magic classes.

Especially for a party based CRPG like Baldur's gate, or POE, or any such game. When you are controlling multiple characters, you don't need to have to micromanage each one to make sure they are all using their special abilities. That should be saved for your spell casters. It is perfectly fine if you only really need to micromange 3 party members while the other ones you can just make sure they are standing where they should be and attacking who they should be.

The everyone needs to be spamming special abilities design philosophy needs to die in a fire.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not that it was difficult, she literally has a description under her name saying she's the hag I'm looking for.
Did you use that alchemical potion that allows hags to be killed?

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
When I discover her as the negro I can't interact with her. I needed to heal her first because she had 0 hp. For some reason.
And the potion is for saving the kid.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When I discover her as the negro I can't interact with her. I needed to heal her fisrt because she had 0 hp. For some reason.
And the potion is for saving the kid.
Ah. I see. Didn't know that, I struck a deal with the hag.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I just disagree 100% with the idea that everyone needs special abilities. And if players find playing fighters less fulfilling because they don't get to use special moves ever turn, they should play spell casters or one of the hybrid martial/magic classes.
Lol, as if your opinion counts. You can house-rule a boring fighter but everyone else will just play something more interesting

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had to heal her and then after that, it finally triggered the fight after hitting her a couple of times. However, the child died, and the quest was never resolved.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Guaranteed critical against the enemy.
against the 20hp enemy. how do you even kill those things without crits i wonder...

This is really the crux of why I find it so useless. I don't need to waste a spell slot and a spell caster's turn temporarily removing weak enemies from the fight. And upleveling the spell makes it even worse, because while it works on slightly stronger enemies, it still won't get the most powerful enemies that cause real trouble, plus it requires using an even higher level spell slot.

Spells to incapacitate an enemy are useful against the main strong enemies, they aren't needed against the weaker minions. That is why Hold Person is an amazing OP spell while sleep is useless past level 1 or maybe level 2.
Hold Person:
1. Only applies to humanoids
2. Offers a saving throw
3. Enemies can attempt the save again next round.

Sleep simply works as long as the enemies are below the effective threshold and are not immune to sleep / enchantment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom