Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
What's the point of having all these roll checks if you can just quick save and quick load at any time. You should either have the skill to do something or not.

I'm stopping myself from doing it and rolling with the outcomes but I feel like a moron
You can decide to reload or not yourself tbh.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
how different is it from solasta & dos2?
Very.
races matter little after i noticed they dont bring ability bonuses? wood elf movement appear is of notice
Races offer reactivity in dialog and bonuses like spells or abilities.
Is it strongly suggested to pick origin in here?
No. Play whom you want.
Will I be playing with 4 man party?
Yes.
Or is there something like lone wolf?
If you want.
If there is a level cap then not playing with full party got no benefits besides bragging rights?
Basically.
Is rogue able to cast from scrolls or nope like in solasta?
I honestly don't remember and my one rogue has an arcane subclass, so he can, but I'm not sure if it's just his subclass.
will going with harem party give me nightmares due to githyanki appearance?
Probably.
Will barbarian tiefling turn solasta tier ugly at one point?
Her body is covered in scars. She's pretty ugly from the start imo.

edit: Grampy_Bone, let me guess, the first answer got you butthurt? Or are you simping for Karlach?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure anybody will ever make a game like BG3. But I think if you were a publisher who absolutely wanted to try, your best bet would be to acquire Owlcat and throw a lot of money at them. They're the only other studio with the infrastructure set up to even approach doing something like this.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I'm not sure anybody will ever make a game like BG3. But I think if you were a publisher who absolutely wanted to try, your best bet would be to acquire Owlcat and throw a lot of money at them. They're the only other studio with an infrastructure set up to approach something like this.
I can't imagine the amount bugs an Owlcat game would have if they actually tried to do mocap dialog in addition to their dialog trees and overtunned combat encounters.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Also said Obsidian "probably won't be making games like BG3 in the near future".
I'm sorry to hear this. I was just thinking Obsidian is fit for this kind of game. Is it the budget thing or what ?
I think Sawyer is right, and they won't be making a game like BG3 any time soon.

The thing about Obsidian is that they have experience making an Infinity Engine-like game, not a PnP adaptation type of game, and these are different subgenres now.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Combat is slightly different and its a D&D world but this could easily be DOS3. World design is the same, same quest design, same interface, same team selection mechanics, same traps and environmental interactions, same magic combo effects, etc etc. Just different flavor text and resting mechanics.

*edit Oh it does have D&D's initiative system rather than the round-robin turns, so that's a plus.

Last edited:
I really dislike the camera in this game. In combat it's alright since you can just press O, but exploration is not as enjoyable for me because of the shitty floating camera and having to rotate all the time.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Combat is slightly different and its a D&D world but this could easily be DOS3. World design is the same, same quest design, same interface, same team selection mechanics, same traps and environmental interactions, same magic combo effects, etc etc. Just different flavor text and resting mechanics.

*edit Oh it does have D&D's initiative system rather than the round-robin turns, so that's a plus.
More than 3/4 of the game is fighting and talking. The fighting and talking is different.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
I'm not sure anybody will ever make a game like BG3. But I think if you were a publisher who absolutely wanted to try, your best bet would be to acquire Owlcat and throw a lot of money at them. They're the only other studio with the infrastructure set up to even approach doing something like this.
I would assume BG4 is already in the making along IW3.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Gotta be honest, I expected this game to be worse. Larian benefited from adapting a PnP system. It keeps their alien belgian thirst for trash mechanics in check.

Having said that:
- Oh wow, the UI is trash.
- Where the fuck is prepare attack.

Solasta did some things better on a budget of 50 euro and a baguette.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Not gonna lie, rushing a Phase Spider to put it off-balance and then pushing it in a chasm does make me feel smert.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
What's the point of having all these roll checks if you can just quick save and quick load at any time. You should either have the skill to do something or not.

I'm stopping myself from doing it and rolling with the outcomes but I feel like a moron

Save scumming is the ultimate fun killer. Just go with the dice and accept the outcome.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
1691272450744.png

:edgy:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Save scumming is the ultimate fun killer. Just go with the dice and accept the outcome.
You can fail-forward every roll I've seen. Maybe you have to get out of jail, maybe you have to fight a battle you could've skipped, maybe you miss out on a minor side quest, but I haven't had a failed roll ruin my game in a major way.
HOWEVER, I prefer just a flat YES/NO check, like New Vegas has. I know its D&D, I know dice is everywhere, but I'd prefer clear outcomes in skill checks. In combat, dice is fun, since it forces you do go with the flow, do damage control, rush in after a crit, etc.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

You can fail-forward every roll I've seen. Maybe you have to get out of jail, maybe you have to fight a battle you could've skipped, maybe you miss out on a minor side quest, but I haven't had a failed roll ruin my game in a major way.
HOWEVER, I prefer just a flat YES/NO check, like New Vegas has. I know its D&D, I know dice is everywhere, but I'd prefer clear outcomes in skill checks. In combat, dice is fun, since it forces you do go with the flow, do damage control, rush in after a crit, etc.
Yea, but then you can't roll a Wisdom check to realize that Shadowheart is coming on to you.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
the fact that this game has benis model selection at chargen is incredible in ways more than one

and people wonder why i dont play modern games
You can hide all that shit by disabling it in options.

And it's one of the first options you can choose at the start of the game lol - I think roundabout when you do your gamma setting.

Larian know what they're doing - they're trying for the widest possible audience plus the biggest scandal/publicity splash they can make (e.g. bear secs). They know there will be people like many of us here who enjoy the combat and exploration well enough, and some of the others here who hate the companions' guts so much that they're just going to slit their throats as soon as they speak. And people who hate the nudity so much (or have kids around maybe) that they'll switch it off.

They know, and they're catering to everyone. That's what lowest common denominator means - just about everyone will find some point of contact with the game, even if it's not their favourite peak gameplay.

The game "satisfices."
Indeed.

Retards here need to understand CPRG devs can't only focus on the sperging, anti woke, incel, autistic rpg codex audience to make money.
Which is why D:OS II had so much anal.

Wait.

The Californication plays to retrograde retards, you've got the teams backwards.

Herumor

Scholar
The game sure as fuck has some nice looking scenery, I think I'll be taking a lot of screenshots on my 2nd run of the game, but that's some days, if not weeks, away.

Anyway, popped in here to ask two questions that are spoilers, so I'll mark them as such:

1. Has anyone who's been playing around in the Shadow-Cursed Lands managed to find Arabella's parents? She's lurking in my camp, and I think I've pretty much looked all over the fucking place,except some inaccessible areas of the Moonrise Towers and haven't come across them.

2. Has anyone here managed to finish the Cursed Monk questline? He asks me to bring him to his granddaughter at the monastery that the Githyanki were camping in, but I'm not sure where to find her either.

Kiste

Augur
This game has 250k players on steam. Welp, that’s it for CRPGs. It’s officially gay.
:butthurt:

It's more than 700k now.

I'd also like to remind everyone that this is the retard who predicted that BG3 wil be "smashed" by Armored Core 6 because it does not "appeal to younger demographics", unlike the sixth entry in a 25 year old mecha game series.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I played D:OS II as one of the companions (usually the dude with the wolf). Is that the intended way to play BG 3? Best way to get all the content?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Especially with reloading taking as long as it does.

That said, save often. It's very frustrating reloading and dealing with bad dice rolls you passed the first time if you mess something up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom