Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

J1M

Arcane
I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this.

Looks like the woke folks at Blizzard first decided to hire someone from that Hamilton play as a form of misguided wealth redistribution. Then they tried to copy the successful advertisement made for Vanilla and the limits of their talent were exposed.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Leveling my space shaman, fuck this ridiculous grind to 60 on yet another character after doing it 3 times during the lockdown last year. That being said, Shaman's are the most ridiculously op class in this expansion... not a single drawback.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
To be honest i don't know how the experience of the Shaman is for raiding but if it's anything like the Alliance hybrid classes it means get ready to be a buff bot.

I DID get in an hard core raid guild as a feral druid once. That was knewl. I would DPS as cat and off tank as bear to free one of the fury warriors. The feral aura took care of the DPS difference by buffing the other melee characters and having an extra innervate was always good. Possibly the most fun i had raiding in WoW. I would stay true to the hybrid nature of the class without feeling like i was a dead weight or a meme.

I mean i off tanked Ragnaros in a pug as a bear once lmao. I had some good fire gear while the scrub fury warriors had none. The leader was dubious but it worked.

Druids were also super fun in battlegrounds.

If you end up raiding i would recommend a DPS build. When you go in as melee you really have to learn all the boss mechanics and have a keen enviormental awarness that makes raiding feel less of a chore. I raided as healer a few times and all you do there is stare at the side bar window. Wasn't really fun.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Druid was really fun in Burning Crusade. Especially as a feral DPS, as Lyric Suite mentioned. I even off tanked most of them BC raids with my bear back then. I remember that I had to pause DPS or change to bear because of getting agro with simple combos.
Boomking is also fun at low tier raids but not as much as feral for me.

Also bear bombing from flight form onto unsuspecting gnomes never gets old <3

Quatlo

Arcane
To be honest i don't know how the experience of the Shaman is for raiding but if it's anything like the Alliance hybrid classes it means get ready to be a buff bot.

I DID get in an hard core raid guild as a feral druid once. That was knewl. I would DPS as cat and off tank as bear to free one of the fury warriors. The feral aura took care of the DPS difference by buffing the other melee characters and having an extra innervate was always good. Possibly the most fun i had raiding in WoW. I would stay true to the hybrid nature of the class without feeling like i was a dead weight or a meme.

I mean i off tanked Ragnaros in a pug as a bear once lmao. I had some good fire gear while the scrub fury warriors had none. The leader was dubious but it worked.

Druids were also super fun in battlegrounds.

If you end up raiding i would recommend a DPS build. When you go in as melee you really have to learn all the boss mechanics and have a keen enviormental awarness that makes raiding feel less of a chore. I raided as healer a few times and all you do there is stare at the side bar window. Wasn't really fun.
I used to tank Karazhan as a Shaman with random blue mail gear with tank stats, its actually pretty viable but you need a raid that is not braindead so they wait at least a while for you to generate threat. Paladin blessings help a lot too. Melee is also handicapped because they need to be extra careful to not take the aggro. We even had a moonkin that was tanking Kara aswell, its not completely optimal but when you just want a quick random raid with buddies this can work. Shaman works up to the hardest heroics too, obviously healer gets his shit pushed in pretty hard but tanking shaman is prettty good at keeping himself alive, especially in a ranged party so you just keep healing youself to create threat. In my opinion its better to go suboptimal with people you trust than to go with some random tank that is retarded, and you can spread Primals between yourselves as needed as most tanks want them as payment.

Naraya

Arcane
I used to tank Karazhan as a Shaman with random blue mail gear with tank stats, its actually pretty viable but you need a raid that is not braindead so they wait at least a while for you to generate threat. Paladin blessings help a lot too. Melee is also handicapped because they need to be extra careful to not take the aggro. We even had a moonkin that was tanking Kara aswell, its not completely optimal but when you just want a quick random raid with buddies this can work. Shaman works up to the hardest heroics too, obviously healer gets his shit pushed in pretty hard but tanking shaman is prettty good at keeping himself alive, especially in a ranged party so you just keep healing youself to create threat. In my opinion its better to go suboptimal with people you trust than to go with some random tank that is retarded, and you can spread Primals between yourselves as needed as most tanks want them as payment.
Yeah, I find it hard to believe. Original heroics were hard even with a proper tank (warrior/druid/paladin), not to mention mobs like Karazhan's Skeletal Usher.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Yeah, I find it hard to believe. Original heroics were hard even with a proper tank (warrior/druid/paladin), not to mention mobs like Karazhan's Skeletal Usher.
I feel I vaguely remember shaman tanking emerging in that expac fairly late in the cycle (probably some later-patch-implemented badge gear made it easier if not possible in the first place). IIRC at that time Shaman were a top commodity in 5v5 arena, almost non-existent in smaller configurations until Shadowplay, gigabuff raid monsters as Enhancement, and I personally found healing heroics to be pretty fun as a Shaman. It was also the resident home of the whiners. 3-second rule was bullshit. I almost want to play again, but that feels like a trap. Definitely not the most OP class, though.

Codex Year of the Donut
shamans weren't viable tanks because they couldn't push crushing blows off the attack table
druids just soaked crushes using their yuge health pool, shamans didn't get that luxury

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
If I remember right some of BCs raids required a bit of ranged tanking, so me as a boomking and a shaman was on off tank duty on those fights. Some raids had group of bosses?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
If I remember right some of BCs raids required a bit of ranged tanking, so me as a boomking and a shaman was on off tank duty on those fights. Some raids had group of bosses?
First boss in Gruul lair had mage tanking and a few shenanigans like that.

Quatlo

Arcane
Goddamn you are right, it was on 2.4.3 so heroics were pretty nerfed. I forgot to mention that. Serves me right for posting drunk. Crushing blows were a real bitch, resi really helped if I remember correctly. Also it turned out we all played on uber hard mode because when doing Hyjal we've found out our main tank is a retard who didn't know that he shouldn't stand backwards towards the boss...

As to Shaman pvp - try going resto with elemental gear, spellpower bonus from resto talent and elemental gear can turn the basic Lighning Bolt Chain Lightning Shock combo into really nasty surprise in 2v2 for your enemies. Also because in TBC you can spam purge and if there is no viable buff to dispell nothing happens its amazingly effective against PoM or Nature Swiftness, people used to freak out and drop spaghetti all over the place when you caught them.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The funnest way to PVP as a Shaman in TBC is to find a horny Orc Warrior and proceed to claim a free Gladiator title in 2s.

Quatlo

Arcane
The funnest way to PVP as a Shaman in TBC is to find a horny Orc Warrior and proceed to claim a free Gladiator title in 2s.
I once went full unga-bunga with BM hunter in 2v2. Berserking + Bloodlust + Tidal Charm and we just murderfucked some random guy with his pet before he could even react. Unless it was SL/SL obviosuly ;/

By the way, a nice protip not many people know about because it was changed in later expansion packs - stoneclaw totem takes enemies out of stealth, so its a great way to troll rogues, druids or night elves. Ghost Wolf also changes you into a beast, so you are sap immune. If I remember correctly in Ghost Wolf form you always have max weapon skill so in a pinch you can bite someone ass off if you have untrained weapon while leveling.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I primarily play Rogue, so TBC PVP is actually really good but I hate that Hemo Swords/Maces shit you're forced to go. Makes me feel like an offbrand Warrior or something. Never liked how you had to have five offhands with different poison to spam Shiv with either.

Mutilate is fun but no Preparation or Shadowstep pretty much kills it. I never liked how Backstab centric builds died because of how buffed resilience in TBC was. Thankfully WOTLK and Shadow Dance returns Ambush/Backstab to their rightful places.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Fuck me leveling to 60 is such a pain, especially because 90% of groups are people wanting to sell dungeon boosts. That means questing, which is slow and boring due to how pedantic vanilla quests are.

Considering respeccing to elemental shaman later when i reach outland, for more gear versatility if i decide to heal in dungeons. Enhancement is fun but if i remember correctly, outland dungeons and raids were not friendly to melee classes, it was much easier to play as a ranged DPS.

Naraya

Arcane
Fuck me leveling to 60 is such a pain, especially because 90% of groups are people wanting to sell dungeon boosts. That means questing, which is slow and boring due to how pedantic vanilla quests are.

Considering respeccing to elemental shaman later when i reach outland, for more gear versatility if i decide to heal in dungeons. Enhancement is fun but if i remember correctly, outland dungeons and raids were not friendly to melee classes, it was much easier to play as a ranged DPS.
Respec to ele at 60 and have smooth sailing. Enhancement levelling is ton of fun (especially after getting WF) but after 60, elemental is king.

Absinthe

Arcane
Well the AV we got was gutted in the first place.

When you look at the original AV pre-release page (by digging it out with Archive.org or something) you'd find out that the BG was meant to have siege weapons, towers were supposed to be repairable, you were meant to be able to hire mercenaries from furblog and troll camps which got into game but they were only hostiles and passages removed in like 1.9
Original AV was a world PvP zone, although they instanced it when they officially launched it. It was possible in the early days of WoW to swim around Stormwind and land in AV's world region before AV got released and start mining the unpopulated area. Tbh there were a lot of world zones that got turned into instances when they actually released them. Also, that stuff reminds me: in the early days of Alterac Valley, entering the battleground just to basically AFK mine for ores was a thing. They removed the mining and herbalism nodes in a patch or two because it annoyed the shit out of everyone to have dead weight on your team like that.

Dont plan on any serious raiding. Those dual wielding windfury procs are just too entertaining not to roll enhancement shaman.
They added a cooldown to windfury in TBC tbh. Honestly I thought it was retarded that in TBC they added Paladins to Horde and Shamans to Alliance. It really showed in what kind of direction they were taking the game, flattening faction differences like that.

Fun fact about DW Windfury though: They started making all weapon procs scale down with level (and gave trinkets a chance to fail), but never implemented this for item sets. If you equip the Spider's Kiss set as a Shaman, you can randomly immobilize people for 10 seconds with the proc.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The chat is spammed with "LF dps Ramparts, be T3 geared"

I'm not T3 geared. I'm in green gear. Fucking sue me. Can't I go to a dung? This is seriously toxic shit.

Shitposter
heh look at this casual booster didn't spend 4 thousand hours over the last two years grinding +2 stamina cocklocks maybe you should go play fortnite zoom zoom xD xD xD

U5BCHox.jpg

Ninjerk

Arcane
The chat is spammed with "LF dps Ramparts, be T3 geared"

I'm not T3 geared. I'm in green gear. Fucking sue me. Can't I go to a dung? This is seriously toxic shit.
Classic wasn't anything like vanilla WoW or even private servers for that matter. It's all about boosting, maximizing efficiency, etc., so you can get back to League of Legends or whatever. Kids are different these days.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Classic wasn't anything like vanilla WoW or even private servers for that matter. It's all about boosting, maximizing efficiency, etc., so you can get back to League of Legends or whatever. Kids are different these days.
Exactly. Classic was never like vanilla, which is unfortunate. People have had years and years of theory crafting to min max the shit out of the experience.

People bad mouth retail but this is just like it, dungeon spam and do it as fast as possible, and if your gear or your metrics are not like what some bis list says it should be, then you are shit.

janior

Arcane
Patron
nothing wrong with min-maxing
it's the bot run economy that made me quit after naxx, was fun but blizzard not only did nothing about the issue but added a shortcut for botters - level boost
no point in playing, a shame really

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom