Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Codex Year of the Donut
heroics also made heavy use of mobs that can cleave making playing melee suck
playing melee in an MMORPG is a terrible idea about 80% of the time anyways, encounter designs inevitably always end up favoring ranged

Ravielsk

Magister
But man, Paladins suck in WoW for anything other than buffing, dispelling, and healing. They're more healer than the Priest class is.
designers hated hybrids
The weird part about that is that its almost like the devs are trying to cover it up. Instead of just straight up admitting that they did not like hybrid classes they make these bizarrely contradicting statements like:
> The Paladin was supposed to be a beginners class
< So we designed it like not other class with seal-judge system and crippled two of its three specs, also you need (absolutely) counterintuitively engineering for PVP
or
> The beta abilities( like Holy strike and crusaders strike ) were just placeholders
< So we only got around to replacing them a couple of weeks before launch with an entirely new system only to then backtrack to those "beta" designs in the subsequent expansions, also mobs still have and use those old "placeholders"

Like either they are indirectly admitting that they are shit designers and basically had half the classes run around for 3 years with unfinished specs or they just dont want to own up to their own shitty ideas. I am not shocked that there are armies of douchebags pretending that paladin blessing lasting for 5 minutes is somehow balanced or "flavorful" but when I hear these supposed industry veterans squeeze out what basically amount to "a seven year old pretending he did not eat the whole tub of ice cream while his whole face is smeared in it" it just makes me cringe(and not in a good way).

Absinthe

Arcane
Paladins need Engineering for PvE also, otherwise Paladins have no practical way to pull or tag mobs from range (buying Magic Candle stacks or the dynamites that don't require engineering from AH is possible though) or Force Reactive Disk for AoEing mobs of enemies with Consecrate+Reflective+grenade/dynamite damage.

Blizz devs have always spun bullshit about intended design though.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I don't think hybrid are especially bad.

Paladins are good healers and great tanks in TBC.

Druids are good healers and great tanks in TBC.

Shamans are the most sought after class of the expansion providing a ridiculous amount of utility and buffs. They can also provide the best healing of the expansion and decent dps in either elemental or enhancement spec.

The big issues with paladins and druid has always been their dps specs. Ret, cat and boomkin are either too much of a hassle to play to get mediocre results or just outright bad.

Ravielsk

Magister

... TBC.

... TBC.

I was talking more about how they were in Vanilla. TBC basically fixed hybrids by keeping them still less effective than single purpose classes but not by crippling them in all but one way.

Codex Year of the Donut

Paladins are good healers and great tanks in TBC.

Druids are good healers and great tanks in TBC.

Shamans are the most sought after class of the expansion providing a ridiculous amount of utility and buffs. They can also provide the best healing of the expansion and decent dps in either elemental or enhancement spec.

The big issues with paladins and druid has always been their dps specs. Ret, cat and boomkin are either too much of a hassle to play to get mediocre results or just outright bad.
TBC was basically the highlight of hybrids, after that everything got hit with the homogenization bat.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I was talking more about how they were in Vanilla. TBC basically fixed hybrids by keeping them still less effective than single purpose classes but not by crippling them in all but one way.
Fair enough. In vanilla hybrids were mostly second tier citizens with the exception of a few gimmicks.

Druids could heal but they were always a risk to bring because of their lack of an on demand Rez, they could also tank but feral tank gear was a minigame unto itself with non existent itemization. Dps was non existent.

Paladins could tank but were less than decent at it. They could certainly heal... But dps was absolute shit.

Shamans had some pretty nice stuff totems wise but when it came to healing, they went oom faster than any other healer, and either of their dps specs werent viable.

Absinthe

Arcane
Paladins can dungeon tank in vanilla but they go OOM constantly and they can still lose aggro if someone is just blasting away. The real nuisance is the constant water breaks so mana management becomes an important part of Paladin tanking.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
You're all so out of tune with the actual game. Prot palas are currently the kings of AOE tanking with the new talent tree, the addition of Avenger Shield and their taunt.

Codex Year of the Donut
You're all so out of tune with the actual game. Prot palas are currently the kings of AOE tanking with the new talent tree, the addition of Avenger Shield and their taunt.
most of us aren't retarded enough to actually try to relive our nostalgia because we know it would just destroy the happy memories we had

abija

Prophet
This might be true for pre-TBC, hell even 2.1 to 2.3 due to lack of threat reduction talents but we are now in TBC. 2.4 Paladin, which is the version Blizzard uses is very viable. They not only provide mandatory raid buffs but also can break the 'famed' 3k DPS barrier against Brutallus and were present in many world first Sunwell Plateu kills where they optimized the kills to the t. They're shit for dungeons though because they neither provide CC nor sustainable AoE.
My early heroic group was druid tank, war, ret, rogue, resto shaman and got attunements completed for people that had issues replacing the rogue. CC was barely needed when you could cleave your way through.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
most of us aren't retarded enough to actually try to relive our nostalgia because we know it would just destroy the happy memories we had

i had to show my ignored content to get some kind of convoluted "oh yeah you're right I don't know what I'm talking about" lol

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

What new talent tree? I thought this was classic?

Absinthe

Arcane
But man, Paladins suck in WoW for anything other than buffing, dispelling, and healing. They're more healer than the Priest class is.
designers hated hybrids
They are derivative of the WarCraft III hero, not the knight unit. It took a decade of player feedback to turn retribution into a rogue with bubble instead of stealth.
Play a Priest, Mind Control the Scarlet Monastery Paladin mobs, and you can see some of what the WoW beta Paladin class played like. It had a lot more offensive abilities. The whole Paladin class was nerfed shortly before WoW went live.

Absinthe

Arcane
I'm leveling a Night Elf Druid on Shandalar. Burning Crusade is my favorite. Zangarmarsh is the best zone.
Tauren Druid >>>> Night Elf Druid

War Stomp is fucking good. It's almost like getting a second Nature's Swiftness as a racial, because the racial doesn't GCD so you can cast while your enemy is stunned.

J1M

Arcane
designers hated hybrids
They are derivative of the WarCraft III hero, not the knight unit. It took a decade of player feedback to turn retribution into a rogue with bubble instead of stealth.
Play a Priest, Mind Control the Scarlet Monastery Paladin mobs, and you can see some of what the WoW beta Paladin class played like. It had a lot more offensive abilities. The whole Paladin class was nerfed shortly before WoW went live.
I played in beta.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Blizzfags wondering why they got a cash shop after they all ran out to buy shit like Overwatch and open loot boxes like they were Smarties on Halloween.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Blizzfags wondering why they got a cash shop after they all ran out to buy shit like Overwatch and open loot boxes like they were Smarties on Halloween.

But you can get loot boxes without paying.

Not saying it's a good system, or that I support it, just saying it's not where the cash shop on WoW originated from.

The truth is that MMOs have always attracted 1) people who are willing to pay to get a bonus or to save time and therefore 2) people willing to grind shit in order to get paid by said players.

It was the introduction of the tradeable-for-cash WoW Token that paved the road for the cash shop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom