Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Finished at level 21 and 72 hours.

Final thoughts

- Cyseal is the best and most focused region, probably with the best difficulty curve and most memorable (and toughest) fights.
- Hiberheim is also very good, but after a while you get sick of all the snow
- Silverglen is still very good but has a few stinkers like Sacred Stone + its prison that seem to serve no purpose whatsoever, and a few silly stinkers like some immaculates acting all oblivious and buying your obvious 'HALLO I AM NEW CULTIST' shtick blindly, while others immediately go 'WHOA SAUCE HUNTER PREPARE TO DIE!"
- Phantom Forest is still good up until you're done with Hunter's Edge and Zandalor's house. After that your dudes turn into walking engines of doom that steamroll through everything with extreme prejudice, and you can run around the place at level 20+ while everything else is 2 levels below and literally can't do shit against you even if you go in purposely gimped. Also that tomb of a thousand deadly lightning bolts screamed of cut content (unless i missed something) and was kinda half-arsed. Also2 I wish the trash mobs in the phantom forest were something a little more than just trash mobs (some of them named trash mobs). Also3 the sauce temple of trials is an annoying waste of time (hello maze of pixel hunts). Also4 the final boss was ridiculously fucking tedious and annoying to deal with.

so yeah 15/10 best gaem evar or at least until you get to the phantom forest

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Having finished the game, I have to say it was pretty fun except for the dialogues. I wonder if it's become a running joke with the writers to always include the line "Tell me about yourself". This line is sometimes so out of place I wondered if it was supposed to be one of the game's self-aware comedy moments. I'm going to draw a small comic to illustrate my point now.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Having finished the game, I have to say it was pretty fun except for the dialogues. I wonder if it's become a running joke with the writers to always include the line "Tell me about yourself". This line is sometimes so out of place I wondered if it was supposed to be one of the game's self-aware comedy moments. I'm going to draw a small comic to illustrate my point now.

So... tell me about yourself.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How does this game fare on older systems?

My laptop has an old Nvidia 320M with 256mb. Did run Diablo 3 highest setting just fine.
It works ok on 330M. Unfortunately not too well on 1080p, but it's very much playable on lower resolution.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
hbj8141.jpg

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
- Phantom Forest is still good up until you're done with Hunter's Edge and Zandalor's house. After that your dudes turn into walking engines of doom that steamroll through everything with extreme prejudice, and you can run around the place at level 20+ while everything else is 2 levels below and literally can't do shit against you even if you go in purposely gimped.

I dunno how you do that, since I was level 18 by that point, and I took every extra bit of charisma XP I could get (win RPS, kill them anyway afterwards).

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I dunno how you do that

I've gone through it like this basically.

I think I entered Phantom Forest at level 14 or 15. Then I did all the errands around Hunter's Edge + Zandalor's house. Then I returned to Silverglen and finished some shit I had left. After that I entered Phantom Forest proper, sneaked around all mobs because someone told me to do so, cleared the Temple of the Dead, found and killed Balberith. At that point I think I was level 18. Then I went for the cursed tomb behind Hunter's Edge and cleared the village of orks. I think that jumped me to 20. Then I was running around the forest looking for a challenge that I never got (the only fight that required some degree of effort from me was the Death Lord), and finally entered the sauce temple at level 21.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
http://www.gry-online.pl/galeria/mapy/47857929_330.jpg

Nice corridors you have there, Larian. Looks like "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses" applies to so many posters in the Codex. Turns out things like corridor maps, cooldowns, asymmetric and large hp numbers, always-hit abilities, a near-complete-lack-of-strategic-resource-management, Diablo-style numbers-go-up magical trash loot, and generic fantasy settings/plots aren't the big issues they thought they were.

There is no list menu inventory in whole gaming that was good.
SkyUI.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
O.K. seriously moderators, do something about Roguey. At least move the bullshit to retardo.

Corridor maps? Seriously?
I don't know how you can look at that map and not think it's nothing but corridors.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As you can see the modders of DivOS are dedicating their time to modding in things that the game really needs.

Topless Hunters
+ Topless Girls
+ Topless Adventuring
+ Top Compatible
+ Top Panties

+ Hard to top...

Summer is hot, but our topless Source Hunters are even hotter!
Now without their useless tops they find it easier to get their way using all their charms...

Sexy Armor Redesigns
+ Sexy & Skimpy Armor Designs
+ Looking hot, yet be fully protected
+ Guaranteed to turn heads
+ Compatible with other mods
+ Slightly Improved Performance

3-1-1405214064.jpg
thx, dling

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So is anyone actually going to refute that this thing has "corridor maps, cooldowns, asymmetric and large hp numbers, always-hit abilities, a near-complete-lack-of-strategic-resource-management, Diablo-style numbers-go-up magical trash loot, and generic fantasy settings/plots" or just accept that it does and they weren't the big deals you thought they were?

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
eurogamer-jxxs00.jpg

P5043811.JPG

Amazing Sawyer and Obsidian, true work of art, total lack of corridors!

Shadenuat

Arcane
This doublethink is amazing.

http://i5.minus.com/is3W0eNhZeRMV.jpg
Virtually no difference.
The difference is there are no magical doors or NPCs or scripts that block you from reaching any point of the world (maybe with exception of Phantom Forest). While geography has chocking points and some entrances and exits player can leave starting city and run all the way to final map if he so wishes. So these "gates" while may seem artifical, do not actually affect players freedom of movement.

The level zoning is a more serious issue. While core mechanics of D:OS is solid, I find that zoned content and bloated HP pools is what holds it back from becoming a true open world RPG.
asymmetric and large hp numbers
and
Diablo-style numbers-go-up
is like trash game picked up from modern design and it holds it back.

Angthoron

Arcane
As you can see the modders of DivOS are dedicating their time to modding in things that the game really needs.

Topless Hunters
+ Topless Girls
+ Topless Adventuring
+ Top Compatible
+ Top Panties

+ Hard to top...

Summer is hot, but our topless Source Hunters are even hotter!
Now without their useless tops they find it easier to get their way using all their charms...

Sexy Armor Redesigns
+ Sexy & Skimpy Armor Designs
+ Looking hot, yet be fully protected
+ Guaranteed to turn heads
+ Compatible with other mods
+ Slightly Improved Performance

3-1-1405214064.jpg

Has the Wood Stick + Smelly Panties been modded in for strap-on crafting yet?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The level zoning is a more serious issue. While core mechanics of D:OS is solid, I find that zoned content and bloated HP pools is what holds it back from becoming a true open world RPG.
asymmetric and large hp numbers
and
Diablo-style numbers-go-up
is like trash game picked up from modern design and it holds it back.

I think that in a game like this I'd very much like to get rid of levels completely. Combat encounters wouldn't be challenging/impossible due to level difference, but due to lack of tools for overcoming the challenge. You'd gain more tools in your disposal as you level up/progress, but wouldn't necessarily become stronger. A hard fight in the beginning area would still be hard if you come back to it later.

Of course that'd completely kill the modern gamer, who is even unable to understand the difference in numbers as a cue to try something else...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom