Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Did someone just say something?

tumbleweed.jpg

hm, must have been the wind

You must use proper image:
1OXnhMO.gif

Perkel

Arcane
The level zoning is a more serious issue. While core mechanics of D:OS is solid, I find that zoned content and bloated HP pools is what holds it back from becoming a true open world RPG.
asymmetric and large hp numbers
and
Diablo-style numbers-go-up
is like trash game picked up from modern design and it holds it back.

I think that in a game like this I'd very much like to get rid of levels completely. Combat encounters wouldn't be challenging/impossible due to level difference, but due to lack of tools for overcoming the challenge. You'd gain more tools in your disposal as you level up/progress, but wouldn't necessarily become stronger. A hard fight in the beginning area would still be hard if you come back to it later.

Of course that'd completely kill the modern gamer, who is even unable to understand the difference in numbers as a cue to try something else...

That is mostly true to Cyseal map. But when you hit that 11-12 lvl All 3 rest big maps are more or less completely open in how you tackle them

Shadenuat

Arcane
When u r level 10-12 u still have 2-3 times less hitpoints than enemies who are level ~15. Just check the immaculates on the road to the temple of trials, you can walk into them when you barely have 200 hp, while they have 400-600 hp. Sure you can pass them without a fight but the difference in power is still very much artifical (you have same abilities they have, but their hp&saving throws&damage&accuracy are way beyond what I'd call fair or symmetrical).

set

Arcane
O.K. seriously moderators, do something about Roguey. At least move the bullshit to retardo.

Corridor maps? Seriously?
I don't know how you can look at that map and not think it's nothing but corridors.
4n2xHNm.png

Thre Roguey I humored you. Does this agree with your inner Obsidian? DOS is not linear - you have to be dumb to even suggest it. People in this thread have already said they've done quests and even entire areas out of order.

Perkel

Arcane
That is completely beside fact that ton of game is entirely optional. So point B as "must" doesn't exist.

>town location with roads linking important places
>canyon in the middle of nowhere conveniently laid out in traversable paths
>same thing

Roads tend to be linear. Their point is to take you from point A to point B so a straight line is usually the best design for them.

Ziem

Arbiter
So is anyone actually going to refute that this thing has "corridor maps, cooldowns, asymmetric and large hp numbers, always-hit abilities, a near-complete-lack-of-strategic-resource-management, Diablo-style numbers-go-up magical trash loot, and generic fantasy settings/plots" or just accept that it does and they weren't the big deals you thought they were?
"corridor maps" really? ... have you even played the game?
why are cooldowns bad? the combat system is pretty good overall, there's no retarded "cooldown spamming" or whatever youre trying to imply
asymmetric and large hp numbers - uhh.. what's exactly the issue here?
always hit abilities - what's wrong with that? it's not even 100% true since there are saving throws (or whatever its called in this game) so it's not like every freezing touch will 100% apply the freeze effect
resource management - yeah there's basically none. to be fair there's no real resource management in any of the modern games so w/e
diablo style random loot - i don't like that either, i hope that there will be mods which will fix that or something, but unfortunately it looks like the modders are focused on ... "other issues"
generic fantasy setting and plot - the plot is kind of generic but i feel like you're just complaining for the sake of complaining

for me the cons of the game are
the loot system (including the stupid skillbooks system combined with random shops which only reset after level up LOL who came up with this nonsense) - some amount of randomness is okay, but i feel like it's a bit too much for my taste
levels give insane advantage so you can't really go up against opponents who are 3-4 levels higher unless you abuse ai, which limits freedom
rock paper scissors dialogue system (i mean.. really??), i'd prefer skill checks instead
the ui in general, i feel like it could be better

the game is good though

I've fought enemies 3-4 levels higher than me,(11 v 14, 11 v 16, etc) mostly possible because madora is immortal.

Also, Spoiler: Don't use lockpicks or other means in the Immaculate temple of trials, you have to do all the faggy puzzles even if you have the skill to pick the doors. (Trigger issues.)

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Did you visit the Phantom Forest earlier than intended? I don't think I encountered any 4 levels higher enemies. The only one who was 3 levels higher I think was the Goblin Merchant you encounter in the desert area when you first enter. Kicked my ass, my magic barely worked on him and hit chance was extremely low IIRC.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
So is anyone actually going to--

GOD. YOU'RE THE ABSOLUTE WORST.

THE WORST.

People like the game. People are having fun. People don't really care about your inane, rambling autistic nonsense. It's not going to change the fact that people are enjoying what amounts to one of the best emulations of an "old school" experience they've had in years despite its faults. Christ. You need a new hobby. Like, I dunno, telling young children Santa Claus doesn't exist or something. Surely that would bring you more joy.

^
:hmmm:
lol.

Did you visit the Phantom Forest earlier than intended? I don't think I encountered any 4 levels higher enemies. The only one who was 3 levels higher I think was the Goblin Merchant you encounter in the desert area when you first enter. Kicked my ass, my magic barely worked on him and hit chance was extremely low IIRC.
Yep, went straight to the forest through the goblin village after sneaking by the spiders.

So is anyone actually going to refute that this thing has "corridor maps, cooldowns, asymmetric and large hp numbers, always-hit abilities, a near-complete-lack-of-strategic-resource-management, Diablo-style numbers-go-up magical trash loot, and generic fantasy settings/plots" or just accept that it does and they weren't the big deals you thought they were?
"corridor maps" really? ... have you even played the game?
why are cooldowns bad? the combat system is pretty good overall, there's no retarded "cooldown spamming" or whatever youre trying to imply
asymmetric and large hp numbers - uhh.. what's exactly the issue here?
always hit abilities - what's wrong with that? it's not even 100% true since there are saving throws (or whatever its called in this game) so it's not like every freezing touch will 100% apply the freeze effect
resource management - yeah there's basically none. to be fair there's no real resource management in any of the modern games so w/e
diablo style random loot - i don't like that either, i hope that there will be mods which will fix that or something, but unfortunately it looks like the modders are focused on ... "other issues"
generic fantasy setting and plot - the plot is kind of generic but i feel like you're just complaining for the sake of complaining

for me the cons of the game are
the loot system (including the stupid skillbooks system combined with random shops which only reset after level up LOL who came up with this nonsense) - some amount of randomness is okay, but i feel like it's a bit too much for my taste
levels give insane advantage so you can't really go up against opponents who are 3-4 levels higher unless you abuse ai, which limits freedom
rock paper scissors dialogue system (i mean.. really??), i'd prefer skill checks instead
the ui in general, i feel like it could be better

the game is good though
TBF - you can skip the RPS dialogue with the space bar, and it will then basically do a skill check. Beyond that though, I can agree with the cons.

THE WORST.

People like the game. People are having fun. People don't really care about your inane, rambling autistic nonsense. It's not going to change the fact that people are enjoying what amounts to one of the best emulations of an "old school" experience they've had in years despite its faults. Christ. You need a new hobby. Like, I dunno, telling young children Santa Claus doesn't exist or something. Surely that would bring you more joy.
While I agree with the content of this, I have to say this at the same time. Roguey is an annoying jackass most certainly, but jesus - responding to him is what keeps it going. He's trolling y'all niggas hard.

Drowed

Arcane
I'm having so much fun with the game right now that I just don't have time/desire to answer the retarded claims of him/her/it.

Everyone should just do the same.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Don't know who you talking to man.
But dem font need fixing yo.
Also: Expert Marksmanship need to add to special arrow bonuses.
Or else stupid shit like this happens:
EoCApp%202014-07-20%2023-16-22-06.jpg

Last edited:

Black

Arcane

THE WORST.

You know what would be better? If you bought the ignore list DLC and you wouldn't have to worry about its attention whoring and the rest of us seeing you fags respond to its attention whoring.

Tigranes

Arcane
So first everybody responds to Volourn, and now everyone responds to Roguey. It's like you guys want your life the thread to be shit.

Twinkie's even more annoying as a butthurt apologist than he is as an incessant detractor.
Who would have guessed.

.txting that quote, quintessential kickstarter defense post there.

I don't get why the dumbfucks even put lockpicking on that door if you weren't supposed to use it, since there are a lot of doors that are unpickable in game; retarded in itself because you must waste a lockpick to find that out.
So, when I originally read the hint not to unlock the door I thought it meant the final one where the portal was, but now I realize I've been fucking around trying to complete a puzzle when there was none(Looked up candle room puzzle and it's for an entirely different temple..Lol more puzzles in the future, awesome.) and the quest is now impossible to complete. Welp, I guess that goes on the pile with the other 9000 bugged quests I have.
:argh:

Now I'm surrounded, a quest I can't complete on one side, invulnerable enemies on the other, guess I just have to grind through the enemies in the sandstorm. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom