Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Aenra

I know i'm talking to a wall, but just in case you have failed to grasp this:

Moar content = extra money
Extra money = casual intelligent "i'm too good for this" busy people retards
Retards = full VA + epicz + wandz (like WoW!!!111) or they go back to Witchtard 3000. So no extra money

If traders selling epics severely imbalanced the gameplay, that'd be one thing. But having the odd trader or two selling a few "select" epics just in case said retards:
i) could not into non-akshun RPGs
ii) did not into crafting (but still want epicz because WoW haz l33t epicz and i don't craft there m8)
That's fine. They get to feel that caress of incloosiveness your fucking western societies incessantly long for, while we are left unaffected. More than fine since the game allows for so many ways to skip or cheese through the hard(er) content, no one should really give a fuck about epics being sold. They are absolutely not necessary.

So in my book, no worries thus far. If Larian's idea of "moar" turns out (read: we can't know until D:OS II is out) to be in a direction we would not appreciate, we'll see then. Long as we all recall they do have a distinct direction.

I still think they have struck a good balance between what i like and what others like. This applies to the new difficulty as well. Some of the whining here is fantastically retarded. Who told you a mob having multiple teleports is a bug? Use your CC and never let him cast at all, or die and reroll on a lower difficulty. Do we seriously have people here not only complaining about difficulty, but actually mistaking it for a bug??? Same for having a member i respect a very lot complaining about game-breaking skills or abilities. You are meant to man, they even advertised the game as one that would allow for player thinking to overcome anything. Remember the KS pitch?

Conclusion one: Some of you expect -all- RPGs to have the same type of strengths, the same type of mentality behind them, the same elements, in the same dosages. Except these people never promised you that
Conclusion two: If you like something, chances are it actually sucks. Why? Because this is RPGCodex

Zeriel

Arcane
Nope, not using those.
Btw you could try keeping 1 dude in reserve with rez scrolls in case your 3 other dudes get pwned.

Yeah, that's something I realized in retrospect, I just don't think it's intended for a trashbag summon to cast "Teleport into lava" 4 times in one turn when even maxed out player characters can't do that. I could understand if this was a late-game challenge, but it's just a random encounter in one of the first areas.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, let's wait for them to ruin D:OS2 first before voicing our complaints. That will turn out nicely :p The matter of fact is they are trying to regurgitate previous mistakes and that's not progress. I don't even understand their logic - throwing MMOish and mainstreamising elements into a turn-based RPG?? That's like throwing dwarves and elves into a philosophical treatise to appease the mainstream fantasy crowd. Useless and nonsensical.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I'm enjoying it.
Some of the bossfights are quite fun. Pontius Pirate teleporting Barrels on the group, Skeletonarcher 1 firing an exploding bolt into it and Skeletonarcher 2 finishing it with another round of (then exploding) poison gas?
Neat.
I'd like an additional difficulty betweeen tactican and honour mode.
Tactican has a few really hard fights (that sunbathing fucker, if you fight him legit) and some engine quirks make fucking things up to easy to make honour mode enjoyable if you don't rely on glitching, but most combats are a tad bit to easy.

Somehow, the original edition felt a bit harder, but maybe my actual group is just more efficient.
Was playing 2H MC + Madoka + Fire/Earth/Water MC + Muteguy. For this run, i switched madoka for the Water/Air Mage, axed the outspecc into Water of MC2 and didn't raise any marksman skills for Muteguy.
The last thing will change though, ranged Attacks with elemental Arrows are just to good.
This new grenades are also super usefull, even more so than these wands.

Aenra

Jeesus fucking christ Lacrymas ,i just told you what their logic is :)
You don't have to like it, but wondering -what- is their logic when you've just been told..
You also don't have to like the outcome (game in its totality) but then again, might be what they were after is not what you would have liked them to be after. Comprende? If you have played the dragon sagas and commander games and have somehow still failed to comprehend they are not into 101% old school.. i won't draw you pictures ^^

edit: Will stop here, all cease fire. If you still don't get it, whoever you are, you never shall. If your preferences are different, all well once again.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Aenra It's not about old school vs new school. It's about design decisions that are counter to the genre. They are watering down the game for some perceived benefit that has no ground. They are trying to mainstreamise a TB RPG while "mainstream TB RPG" is an oxymoron. That is what I don't get. What their arguments for mainstreamising the game are. That's like trying to mainstreamise roguelikes or city builders. You end up with no crowd at all. We don't even know how console droolies will react to the game with no VA or no kiddy-colored items.

Actually this whole console endeavor has some questionable basis and logic. "More money/fans" isn't an argument, it's the end result they are trying to achieve.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Lacrymas, I think you are seeing what you want to see. Every Larian game since Divine Divinity (2002) has had Diablo style loot. I don't like it either, but it's inaccurate to say that it represents some newfangled "dumbing down" they committed to in order to get more mainstream sales.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Lacrymas, I think you are seeing what you want to see. Every Larian game since Divine Divinity (2002) has had Diablo style loot. I don't like it either, but it's inaccurate to say that it represents some newfangled "dumbing down" they committed to in order to get more mainstream sales.

I'm not talking only about that, though they have done that shit forever. I'm saying their priorities are skewed - going to consoles, VA, wands etc, instead of fixing valid complaints on the PC first. That means they are putting mainstreamising above everything else and their efforts related to that have nonsensical logic.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sorry about your delusion, but larian was never the pure crpg messiah you wanted them to be.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, let's make stupid, disconnected, not-thought-out decisions because we aren't the cRPG Messiah, great logic. D:OS2 will turn out great.

V_K

Arcane
I hate to say it but judging from the trailers it seems that the consoles got a much better UI for this game. Any way to mod it into the PC version?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Who told you a mob having multiple teleports is a bug? Use your CC and never let him cast at all, or die and reroll on a lower difficulty. Do we seriously have people here not only complaining about difficulty, but actually mistaking it for a bug???

Things that make it likely to be a bug:

1) it's an extreme difficulty spike in an early game area
2) it's completely counter to the rules that govern you

I don't recall enemies being able to spam the same ability in a single turn in original D:OS. I never installed the editor, so I can't open it up to see if enemies are built using the same rules as your characters. Someone please do that. :)

Edit: Never mind, I found http://www.divinityoriginalsin.com/modding/CreatingCombat.doc
frequency and frequencyStartAt : if these are both set to 0, the AI will adhere to cooldowns and will try to use this skill whenever it is possible. However, if you want to, you can override this. For instance, if you want a character to cast a Fireball in the fifth round, you set frequency to 5 and leave frequencyStartAt at 0. This will start a counter at 0 and will only allow the AI to use this script when the counter has reached 5. After the script has been executed, it will take 5 rounds again before it can be used.

So they either deliberately or accidentally set that to 0. Regardless, they're still supposed to "adhere to cooldowns" and even with 20 intelligence, teleport is supposed to have a cooldown of two turns (and even feather drop has a cooldown of 1 so you can only use it once per turn), so yeah, something's wrong.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
The reason I don't think it is intended is that it is a minor summoned minion that does this, a minor summoned minion that is not at all threatening in any other case. And on top of that... it probably is an error with game logic because it only chains teleports if there is lava nearby, which stinks of "we quickly wrote a script" issues. I remember there was something similar with Hearthstone's AI where it would always do X if Y, even if that X was the dumbest thing possible. Only in this case it always casts teleport regardless of cooldown if there's lava nearby.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If it isn't a bug then that breaks a fundamental principle of good AI - that it shouldn't cheat or break the rules of the game.

SniperHF

Arcane
So they either deliberately or accidentally set that to 0. Regardless, they're still supposed to "adhere to cooldowns" and even with 20 intelligence, teleport is supposed to have a cooldown of two turns (and even feather drop has a cooldown of 1 so you can only use it once per turn), so yeah, something's wrong.

That flag is (well was in the original version) broken as fuck.

Got nothing on the cooldown thing though.

Actually this whole console endeavor has some questionable basis and logic. "More money/fans" isn't an argument, it's the end result they are trying to achieve.

My guess on the logic was always this: Hey these Focus guys are going to pay for all the VA/Console cert crap, what the hell let's do it. They were clearly always down with the consoles/controller situation but a lot of the fluff was essentially paid for with the credibility gained from the PC version.

Focus paid for the really expensive stuff, Larian was already working on a serious patch, and EE's are good marketing.

Remember they were supposedly already working on the HC patch before it became the EE.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
WHAT THEY REPLACED THE CHEESE VENDOR VA?? WHAT DOES HE SAY NOW?
He says the same, but has lower voice and is less enthusiastic.
but still want epicz because WoW haz l33t epicz and i don't craft there m8
WoW crafting gave pretty good items actually. From my TBC memory - engineer had very good 70 lvl gun with gemslots, perfect for warriors protection because it gave stamina and allowed for pumping defence rating through yellow gems, still worthwhile for hunters I recall. On top of googles which were easily on tier 4(the lowest raid tier) level good. Then you've had Leatherworking, blacksmith and tailor giving you good items, perfect for gearing up after hitting the max level etc.

By comparison, in Divinity, crafted stuff is much worse than ordinary(white) items you can find, on low-level that is.

Larian cares about issues they can easily fix. If they would want to fix actual issues the game had(story) huge part of it would have to be reworked, way too huge for what they care.

Zeriel

Arcane
D:OS crafting is more about enhancing items you already have than crafting brand new ones. People who don't put points in crafting skill for tormented souls/essence combining are missing out.

Aenra

Roguey as always, your posts are AAA (hihi) when you can actually be bothered.
Am not going to nitpick, is it or isn't it scripted not to adhere to CDs just for this occasion, happy to accept it's a bug. Even though someone could well claim the matters is still open, no, say i stand corrected. It's a bug.

Now which part of my original post does that change? ^^
Can we or can we not get past it with relative ease? Because even i, and i will be the first to claim i'm adequate at best, can do so just fine :)

Zeriel

Arcane
I think you were just assuming I was complaining about difficulty when it really is a bizarre bug. However, Iron man is a strange beast in RPGs where the only way for designers to challenge players is often to put one-shot death traps in. I don't think that's ever going to be solved, and honor mode is probably best left for second playthroughs. You can find most encounters trivial and/or easy and still run into moments where your entire party just vaporizes.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The EE will not change the mind of anyone who disliked the original game, the same problems permeate the game, the writing, the difficulty, the Ui, the camera, none of those were improved noticeably.

aleph

Arcane
The EE will not change the mind of anyone who disliked the original game, the same problems permeate the game, the writing, the difficulty, the Ui, the camera, none of those were improved noticeably.

Who plays Larian games for the writing, though?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
honor mode is probably best left for second playthroughs.

It's not really recommended going in blind since some encounters are not very generous when it comes to mistakes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom