Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Old One

Arcane
Do people do the crafting? The sheer number of uncategorized components seemed kind of a pain in my partial playthrough.

I did quite a bit of crafting. It was fun at first trying to figure out different formulae, but it eventually stopped being fun, so I used a guide for the rest. There are some useful items that can be made. ((Creepy Eyeball + Fairy Dust) + Leather Helmet) is a nice one for a scout.

If you're going to craft a 2-handed weapon, I'd go for a spear. They have a range of 6 as opposed to 4 for swords and axes, which is a significant advantage for a number of reasons. A spear combined with Whirlwind is excellent.

If there's a way to craft hammers, which is what I wanted, I couldn't find it. You can make a spiked club, but it's pretty boring.

21Baron

Literate
I can't, for the life of me, power through the beginning of DOS.

I tried like four times - I'm well aware some RPGs simply take some time to click, but this one's being tough.

Should I power on? Is it a case where the game opens up eventually, or I saw everything it have to offer right at the beginning?

I tried like four times - I'm well aware some RPGs simply take some time to click, but this one's being tough.

Should I power on? Is it a case where the game opens up eventually, or I saw everything it have to offer right at the beginning?
Well, you didn't exactly give a lot of details of what's stopping you, so who the fuck could even know?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Cyseal and its surroundings is the best part of the game, so if you don't like that you may as well quit.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

That was the only decent part lol.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

I had the same problem and finally gave up, anyway the game gets wackier the further you go.

21Baron

Literate

Well, you didn't exactly give a lot of details of what's stopping you, so who the fuck could even know?
I was under the impression the initial part of the game was really self-explanatory - all the wacky, colorful, quirky dialogue. The plot so far sounds like a reasonable subject - the end of time, but it's not taken serious at all by the game itself.

The combat was fine and all, but it's on the backseat so far.

Cyseal and its surroundings is the best part of the game, so if you don't like that you may as well quit.
Welp, that doesn't sound promising at all. I wish I could see where the praise this game gets resides - just having interlocking systems of interaction between props won't cut it :/

Zeriel

Arcane
I think it comes down to whether you like the combat/gameplay or not. That carries a lot of the game, and it lacks the fuck-ups that spoiled that in DOS2. Keep in mind it came out at a time when well-executed turn based combat in an RPG was still rare (or perceived as rare).

Reality

Learned
I think it's harder to bypass town quest XP entirely here than in Temple Elemental Evil.

You can kind of take north road to lighthouse , but west and east will just delete your level 2 MC

And even ifd you avoid most wacky dialog you still have to talk to the skill/magic vendors and probably the recruitable party members (to strip them of the resurrection scroll even if you don't want them)

21Baron

Literate
I think it's harder to bypass town quest XP entirely here than in Temple Elemental Evil.

You can kind of take north road to lighthouse , but west and east will just delete your level 2 MC

And even ifd you avoid most wacky dialog you still have to talk to the skill/magic vendors and probably the recruitable party members (to strip them of the resurrection scroll even if you don't want them)
I figure I'll just let it sit in the backburner for some time. I'm going to give Kingmaker a try in it's place for now.

I figure I'll just let it sit in the backburner for some time. I'm going to give Kingmaker a try in it's place for now.
It depends on what you disliked about OS. If it was the busywork you're made to do, Kingmaker not only doubles down on it, it's half of the game (as per the title).

21Baron

Literate

It depends on what you disliked about OS. If it was the busywork you're made to do, Kingmaker not only doubles down on it, it's half of the game (as per the title).
Nah, the problem was the joyful nature of everything and the quirky nonsensical exposure, I think.

Old One

Arcane

I understand exactly what you're saying. There's something about this game that makes it hard to get on track.

I think maybe powering through is the wrong approach. I found it a lot more enjoyable to zoom in close and go slow.

I ended up finishing it, but I don't know that I'll ever play it again.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Second map was decent. At last 1/4 of content.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It really depends on what you don't like about Cyseal. The combat is the best in Cyseal, but the writing becomes more sparse later on (which is a good thing). I'd say it's still too easy even on the most difficult settings, but that's neither here nor there.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
My thoughts when I played it were mostly about how small Cyseal felt to me, compared to the huge worlds of games I usually play. There are a few good MMOs I like and they are more or less Cyseal but with no edges of the map, it just keeps going and going. DoS areas are quite small is my point, I blame degenerate consoles. Also it feels very gamelike and not at all world-like. The enemies and quests and things are all within sight of the city gates. Again I am more used to a big world you can explore and find these things as you go. This game has everything neatly packed in one small area for you to consume. In other words it felt more casual and Diablo ish to me and less like a grown up RPG. It also felt clearly indie budget, albeit big indie budget.

That said I quite enjoyed it. Some fights beat me so I had to find an easy one to start with. Then pick my battles. But soon I was blowing stuff up. It started feeling routine for me even before the end of Cyseal. Although I liked the bit where you go
down and right and come up behind the town on a hill for a good undead battle in a burned out church or something.

The
last big fight before you leave
was pretty good. If not a bit rock paper scissors... The next region was ok but it started to feel a slog for me. It also makes me reach for SpeedHack to up the movement speed. I want bigger areas yet I don't like taking ages running around through mostly nothing. Again a more grown up RPG could have movement spells or mounts or teleports or something. This was more indie and basic. I carried on and completed the game. It was alright/10. But thinking back it only got progressively more meh. It was ok but Cyseal clearly got most of their effort and the rest was done later and faster.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I din't liked DOS2, but saw some videos about DOS1 and the game seems much better. The numbers aren't inflated, no BS armor mechanics, no Diablo 3 style itemization, there are saves in the game instead of pshysical armor/magical armor, spells have "tiers", novice, adept and master.

Will be good?

I like lots of turn based RPG's like :
  • UnderRail
  • ADOM (I never finished this roguelike)
  • ToEE
  • KotC 1&2
  • Dark Sun : Shattered Lands + Wake of the Ravager
  • The Bard's Tale
  • Grimoire heralds of the winged exemplar
  • Paper Sorcerer
  • (...)
But din't liked much DOS2. The other Larian games which I tried like Divine Divinity and the developer's cut and Dragon Commander, I liked a bit. I'm thinking in picking DOS1 + ToME. Larianshill. Please elucidate me. Is DOS1 more "old school" than DOS2?

Shrimp

Arbiter
Combat is the bread and butter of both D:OS games and for what it's worth I thought the combat was much better in the first game compared to the second one.

Larianshill

Arbiter
But din't liked much DOS2. The other Larian games which I tried like Divine Divinity and the developer's cut and Dragon Commander, I liked a bit. I'm thinking in picking DOS1 + ToME. @Larianshill. Please elucidate me. Is DOS1 more "old school" than DOS2?
I'm more of a DOS2 guy.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I din't liked DOS2, but saw some videos about DOS1 and the game seems much better. The numbers aren't inflated, no BS armor mechanics, no Diablo 3 style itemization, there are saves in the game instead of pshysical armor/magical armor, spells have "tiers", novice, adept and master.

Will be good?

I like lots of turn based RPG's like :
  • UnderRail
  • ADOM (I never finished this roguelike)
  • ToEE
  • KotC 1&2
  • Dark Sun : Shattered Lands + Wake of the Ravager
  • The Bard's Tale
  • Grimoire heralds of the winged exemplar
  • Paper Sorcerer
  • (...)
But din't liked much DOS2. The other Larian games which I tried like Divine Divinity and the developer's cut and Dragon Commander, I liked a bit. I'm thinking in picking DOS1 + ToME. Larianshill. Please elucidate me. Is DOS1 more "old school" than DOS2?

They are pretty similar, but the Diablo style loot is there. What differentiates it from DOS2 is that item numbers aren't inflated. You don't have to be annoyed by the armor system. I am more willing to accept an armor system like that in a sci-fi setting.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Reality

Learned
Original Sin 1 has diablo level scaled loot.... But it doesn't matter because you can forge / smelt weapons at like 100% material efficiency and things on level are always better (the few named items are thrown in trash shockingly quickly)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom