Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress now on Steam with a graphical overhaul

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
[CASTE:FEMALE]
The gender tag lets it know how breeding works.
[FEMALE]
[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:100:0:0]
[ORIENTATION MALE:0:0:100]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
To add beards, put square brackets around the following:
BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS

[CASTE: MALE]
[MALE]
[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:0:0:100]
[ORIENTATION MALE:100:0:0]
[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]
This removes the fags, apparently - the orientation lines in specific. It's the creature_standard.txt in data>vanilla>vanilla creatures, line 328.

My file(data>vanilla>vanilla creatures>objects>creature_standard.txt) makes no mention of orientation at all. This would effect dwarf homosexuals only, I imagine? I'd like to remove it globally.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There seems to be stuff missing, or maybe I'm just not finding it. But I can't inspect a weapon someone is wearing. Like I can see the normal information about it, but I can't enter the tab where is says how owns it, who it has slain etc. Or was that part of something extra I used for the free version?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Screenshot 2022-12-07 232724.png

Just noticed this in the promo vid lol.

This woke tranny POS was top of the Steam charts btw. Wish I could feel happy about that, but it's another game ruined by tranny dick and general liberalism.

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
Is it possible to systematically round up all the fags and trannies and exterminate them? Asking for a friend.
I'm talking out of 10 year old memories, but...
Kitten atom smasher and lava levers should still be available.
Or you can enlist them into militia and let em loose on goblin/elvish menace. In this case you could cut their bones into toy anvils afterwards.

I watched some gameplay and the keyword here seems to be "overwhelming".
This's exactly the point. DF is not about "muh balance" or identity politics. It's about
This is Gamnuk Aberdeck the Hole of Moisture. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It's a carp bone ring. It is decorated with gold and menaces with spikes of cat leather. On the item is an image of Urist McUrist the dwarf in granite. Urist McUrist is eating cheese. The artwork relates to the burning of elephants from Boatmurdered in Redlabored in the late autumn of 172.

Boring details:
Tarn originally wanted DF to be a story generator, to inspire people. So the details and quirks and random bullshit is what you're after in this game. e.g. he once stated that he hates Minecraft with all his heart for brainless plotless grind. /boring details

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
From the point that I stopped playing DF, every update has actively made the "Fortress mode" actively worse.

Instead of improving the fortress experience, the dev went full on his "open-ended "story generator"" and adventure mode. Which is cool, but the majority of players came for the fortress and never even touched the adventure mode. And lo and behold, the Steam version comes Fortress first. Wonder why?

The developer pushes boundaries by implementing things like "short and long term memories" for dorfs, yet the game still bogs down to a slideshow even with modern tech. You can send raiding parties outside of the fort, yet military management is still nightmare material.

What the game (fortress mode) really needs is an editor and "redux" version. No 300 types of leather on the UI, if leather has no special properties, it is leather. If you want cosmetics, dye it - voila, you have black leather. No 600 Z-levels on the map. Cut out the superficial annoyances and focus on the core features: building the fort, sieges and dorf management.

Once the game runs well with large fortress and all the production and military can be comfortably managed, then you can think of adding more things to manage for the end game.

But slim chance of that ever happening. I can't fault Toady-fuck for doing what he likes to do, if that's what keeps his motivation up, good for him. But seeing how misaligned the vision for "Dwarf Fortress" is, I wouldn't give him a dime.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Instead of improving the fortress experience, the dev went full on his "open-ended "story generator"" and adventure mode. Which is cool, but the majority of players came for the fortress and never even touched the adventure mode. And lo and behold, the Steam version comes Fortress first. Wonder why?

The developer pushes boundaries by implementing things like "short and long term memories" for dorfs, yet the game still bogs down to a slideshow even with modern tech. You can send raiding parties outside of the fort, yet military management is still nightmare material.

What the game (fortress mode) really needs is an editor and "redux" version. No 300 types of leather on the UI, if leather has no special properties, it is leather. If you want cosmetics, dye it - voila, you have black leather. No 600 Z-levels on the map. Cut out the superficial annoyances and focus on the core features: building the fort, sieges and dorf management.

Once the game runs well with large fortress and all the production and military can be comfortably managed, then you can think of adding more things to manage for the end game.
I kinda agree with your points, but find me a better or even comparable game. There is none. Rimworld and other monikers are just shadows of what is possible in DF. There's just nothing that allows even a quarter of possibilities of DF.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I kinda agree with your points, but find me a better or even comparable game. There is none. Rimworld and other monikers are just shadows of what is possible in DF. There's just nothing that allows even a quarter of possibilities of DF.

I agree. And often the copycats also try to copy the parts that don't work in DF either. So you get annoying busywork without the lulzy combat logs and item descriptions etc.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This's exactly the point. DF is not about "muh balance" or identity politics.
Then why did they spend the time to add it?

I fully agreed with the original vision of the game. I enjoyed it for years.

But I've also seen this path before, and I know that it ends in them sneaking in more tranny shit, or furry shit. Or making it impossible for people to mod out whatever politically correct faggotry they sneak in next.

I don't want to support that. Just because I got on the ride to start with doesn't mean I can't get off when it starts being something I never wanted.
I kinda agree with your points, but find me a better or even comparable game. There is none.
So what? I don't need to play any game, no matter how unique. And I don't even need to buy it in order to play it. There's a free version already and has been for almost 20 years.

"Oh it's so special! There's no other game like it! I've lost all control of my wallet! I'm gonna...consooooooooooome!"

:nocountryforshitposters:

Borelli

Arcane
From the point that I stopped playing DF, every update has actively made the "Fortress mode" actively worse.

I have the same experience, when i first played DF 10 years ago i was like, the UI for building is shit but boy this game has potential.
Then the updates started rolling in, leaves, multi tile trees, random illogical monsters ... while the UI is still shit, my dwarves still drink from the storage like some barbarians, the skill system breaks the game.

I mean yes, he has a grand vision for a full fledged simulation, but by the time version 1.0 comes i will die of old age and basic stuff will still be missing.

EDIT: Also, the caverns are ridiculous to navigate

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
News item on Steam:
Hey folks!

We had a big day yesterday huh? Apparently Dwarf Fortress is still the #1 top seller on Steam? Thanks for all the support and love and, uh, purchases!

Crashing Much?

First, if you’re crashing, please know that the main cause appears to be widescreen monitors or other non-standard resolutions. We’re working on a solution but for now, the safest/best course of action is to use a 1920x1080 monitor or change your settings in the game to force that resolution in Windowed mode. For more info, see the FAQ below.

What’s Next?

And for those of you who have been waiting for ages for the Classic mode, we’re also working towards that, hopefully coming to you in the coming weeks. Fingers crossed.

Alexandra will be continuing her tutorial newbie fort tomorrow at 1pm EST on the Kitfox Twitch channel, so tune in to learn and chat with other fans. Be nice.

We’ve also prepared an
FAQ
at the bottom. Read it for extra info and details!

Regional Pricing Changes

But as of this post, we’ve also decided to change our regional pricing guidelines. $30 USD is absolutely a fair price, and for most regions we’ll be sticking to the Steam recommendations, but it’s been brought to our attention that as of October, some countries who were hit hard by inflation got caught in a bit of the international crossfire and had their indie game prices shoot up 500%, which probably feels harsh for folks just trying to live their lives.

Tarn and Zach and Tanya chatted and we decided the best path was to change all countries prices who had at least doubled in October, and instead going for the middle between the old and new prices.

So! The following regions are in the midst of the prices being re-re-adjusted:

Russia: 810 ₽ instead of 1100 ₽

Turkey: ₺165,00 instead of ₺280,00

Argentina: ARS$1215 instead of ARS$2100

And if you find piratey ways to take advantage of this little gesture, then we can’t stop you, but shame on you.

Thanks!
Tanya, Alexandra, Tarn, and Zach

P.S.

All our other Kitfox games are ALSO on sale this week! Boyfriend Dungeon, Pupperazzi, Six Ages, Shrouded Isle, and more, all on discount for folks who might be indie-curious. You can even pick up ALL the other Kitfox games for only ~$50 if you buy ‘em in our bundle! They might not be as famous, but those little gems were how we were able to fund Dwarf Fortress for Steam in the first place. :)

FAQ

Q: Is there widescreen support? How do I adjust my resolution?

A: Dwarf Fortress supports widescreen resolutions but you may need to adjust your screen settings so everything lines up. Steam user matt explains:

“My resolution was set to 1440p prior (2560x1440) and Scale to Yes: Settings > Video > Set resolution to 1080p (1920x1080)

Set "Scale interface to fit grid height/width" to No

Restart the game. After making those changes, I am able to assign workers at workshops as expected. I suspect the crash is likely caused by out of bounds UI elements at higher resolutions when scale interface is enabled.”

Q: When is the game going on sale?

Not soon! And not for very much discount! Bay 12 and Kitfox are going to keep working on this for ~30 years, so it doesn’t make sense to follow normal Steam discounting. For example, we might discount 10% in a couple of months, but we also might not! We certainly won’t be discounting for more than 15% for at least two years!

Q: Will there be more streams?

Yes! We will be streaming tomorrow at 1pm EST on the Kitfox Twitch channel where Alexandra will be continuing her beginner fort. In the future we hope to do more special event streams and collaborations with other Dwarf Fortress streamers. We are especially interested in supporting charity events.

Q: When will there be Mac/ Linux support?

Sometime in 2023! We’ve already contacted a trusted programmer who will be looking into it, while Tarn works towards our other roadmap items. Wish us luck!

Q: Will there be adventure mode? Classic mode? Arena?

Yep, yep, and yep, but in the order of: Classic (quite soon), Arena (soonish), and then (much further away because it has a lot more left to do) Adventure. When Classic’s done, it will also be available as a stand-alone, free download, on the Bay 12 website.

Q: Can I play with just the keyboard?

No, currently in the Steam premium version you need a mouse to do many of the actions. We’re investigating alternatives for folks who are mouse-hampered but maybe a modder will beat us to it.

Q: Will the game be coming to mobile? Switch? Gamepass, Cloud gaming, GOG?

You can also buy the game on itch if you like! And we’re investigating GeForce Now with nVidia. But we have no other platforms to discuss right now.

Q: Will the game be localized/translated to my language?

No, sorry, it is extremely unfeasible due to the way the code handles language throughout the game. Our best suggestion at this time is to use auto-translation tools for text on screen, which has been helping some users.

Q: What mods are allowed?

The game is currently set up best to support graphical changes — sprite swaps, basically. More options will probably become available as we go. But please know that we WILL ban or delist your mod if it contains hateful or dehumanizing content.

Notice the last sentence:
But please know that we WILL ban or delist your mod if it contains hateful or dehumanizing content.
:lol:

Also lmao at Toady saying he will lower the price for Russia, but not Ukraine :lol:

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not even sure what that means.

Is making any race dumber dehumanizing content?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

There is an Elf Slavery mod where you can breed and train them to be attack dogs already in Workshop :lol:

It comes with the territory that a lot of these mod will pop up with DF. Fuck the no fun allowed attitude tho.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron

There is an Elf Slavery mod where you can breed and train them to be attack dogs already in Workshop :lol:

It comes with the territory that a lot of these mod will pop up with DF. Fuck the no fun allowed attitude tho.
Yeah, that mod sure sounds like something they would want to remove. I have feeling it will come down to real life race relations and trannies, like it always does.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Personally I like the new visual bells and whistles and pretty tilesets and might actually play this now as long as I hear they didn't mess too much with what's under the hood of the original game. Will probably wait for an Adventure mode and a few more builds before getting it though. I have CDDA to look into first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom