Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Silverfish

Arbiter
DS2 is the most RPG of the series.

This can't be overstated. I saw some gay critique video of DS2 a few years back and one of the complaints was something like "DS2 gives you too many souls. My character was too highly leveled by the end." Overlooking the fact that this is the one game in the series where attributes actually matter and have an impact on your character other than convenience.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Yeah, Dark Souls 2 is the most RPG in the series and imo From's second-best game. But it has nothing in common with Elden Ring. I really don't wan't to elaborate, but ER is a fucking shame, and I'm glad it's not called Dark Souls 4, because even Dark Souls 3, the weakest Souls title, is miles ahead of that try of a sell-out with keeping the original fans aboard.
Elden Ring still has those moments of greatness, like Stormveil Caste or, in my opinion, the sewers below Leyndell, but they're too few and far between heaps of trash content to mention this game alongside masterpieces like the original Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Start with Dark Souls: Remastered, then Bloodborne, then straight into Elden Ring.
Why, what's wrong with this list? DS2 is shit, DS3 is just more of the same that you got in DS1, DS0 original is too old, DS0 remake sounds like it wasn't very good, and Sekiro I haven't played yet.

Maybe insert Sekiro between Bloodborne and Elden Ring, that's the only change I would make.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
I'd recommend everyone to try and find a code/copy of Prepare to Die edition at any cost btw.
Remaster butchered the atmosphere and shaders. I'd rather play PtDE on Xbox/Playstation at sub 30fps than the Remaster.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Start with Dark Souls: Remastered, then Bloodborne, then straight into Elden Ring.
Why, what's wrong with this list? DS2 is shit, DS3 is just more of the same that you got in DS1, DS0 original is too old, DS0 remake sounds like it wasn't very good, and Sekiro I haven't played yet.

Maybe insert Sekiro between Bloodborne and Elden Ring, that's the only change I would make.
You are the best argument I've ever seen for abortion after the 93rd trimester.

Jinn

Arcane
But it has nothing in common with Elden Ring.
No, but it does. From build variety, to actual stat relevance, to player freedom, to how the game actually plays. Cry all you want about the open world elements, but this game embodies more elements of DS2 than any other Fromsoft game to date.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
But it has nothing in common with Elden Ring.
No, but it does. From build variety, to actual stat relevance, to player freedom, to how the game actually plays. Cry all you want about the open world elements, but this game embodies more elements of DS2 than any other Fromsoft game to date.
I've said it elsewhere but DS2 and Elden Ring are arguably the most "RPG" of From's more recent games.

One of the big complaints about DS2 in particular is that its stats like agility actually do matter since that makes it less actiony. Usually there's a similar complaint about FPS RPGs that have stats matter instead of only whether you can put a mouse cursor on the right spot when you click. It's sort of like reading a transcript from a lobotomy patients' support group meeting but without as much self awareness.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

Vyadhis

Learned
I'd recommend everyone to try and find a code/copy of Prepare to Die edition at any cost btw.
Maybe not at any cost but yeah, they didn't do the game any favours with the remaster, and you get used to 30 FPS quicker then you'd think.
Or just play it at 60, which I did ten years ago. PC mustard et cetera :smug:
I'd read the 60 FPS patch fucked some stuff so never tried it.
It does. The sections where you're suppose to run and jump are meant to be at 30 fps so it makes it harder/impossible.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe not at any cost but yeah, they didn't do the game any favours with the remaster, and you get used to 30 FPS quicker then you'd think.
Or just play it at 60, which I did ten years ago. PC mustard et cetera :smug:
I'd read the 60 FPS patch fucked some stuff so never tried it.
It does. The sections where you're suppose to run and jump are meant to be at 30 fps so it makes it harder/impossible.
Harder, not impossible. I've made every jump you're supposed to be able to make at 60fps. I've never experienced any bugs with it either, even doing the stuff you're supposed not to do, namely sliding down ladders.

Even if the jumps were impossible and the ladder-sliding did break the game, though, switching to 30fps and back is instant at the press of a hotkey. I did it for jumps as a matter of course. As long as you're aware of the potential issues, there's no reason not to play 99.99% of the game at 60fps.

Ironically, playing at 60fps caused me more issues in DS2 than in DS1, despite it being officially supported in the former but not in the latter.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
DS2 is shit, DS3 is just more of the same that you got in DS1, DS0 original is too old, DS0 remake sounds like it wasn't very good, and Sekiro I haven't played yet.
DS2 does almost everything the best - builds, itemization, covenants, PvP, invasions (the effigy system), NG+, poise, UI, respec, upgrading, split damage, power stancing, magic, length and of course the most important one - fashion. The only two major things DS2 doesn't do the best is bosses and level design.

What you get in DS1 is: grate vibe, phenomenal level design, non-linear world, smart little quirks and secrets, unforgettable NPCs. DS3 is the exact opposite of that on every single count plus a bunch laziness and other garbage on top.

DeS might be old but it's still miles more fun than DS3.

DeSR looks and plays great. Best looking souls-like ever made (until LotF arrives next month). It's p. much the old DeS, except the music sucks.

And you even haven't played Sekiro, a game with the best combat ever made ever.

See, wrong on all counts. Your opinion is useless.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The only two major things DS2 doesn't do the best is bosses and level design.
The controls as well, feels very stiff even compared to DS1. Also a bunch of enemies have dumb attack animations where the hitbox activates way before the actual hit. There is some jank in there no doubt.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The only two major things DS2 doesn't do the best is bosses and level design.
The controls as well, feels very stiff even compared to DS1. Also a bunch of enemies have dumb attack animations where the hitbox activates way before the actual hit. There is some jank in there no doubt.
Nah, DS1 is just as "stiff" and "janky" by modern standards.

And hitboxes, really? You can find the worst hitboxes in all gaming in DS1 - Titanite Demon, Ceaseless and Gaping are still unmatched.

Btw, inb4 someone mentions "gank squads" in DS2, as is the tradition nowadays - this shit has been a thing since Demon's Souls. Also plenty of gank squads in DS1 - Parish, Oolacile, others. And gank ambushes are absolutely ridiculous in DS3, they feel like a third of the entire encounter design.

The DS2 hate is so hilarious, 90% of it sounds like people parroting dumb talking points to fit in, without pausing and thinking about them for a single second.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Nah, DS1 is just as "stiff" and "janky" by modern standards.
Play them back to back and you'll feel the difference. Or I might be crazy, also possible :lol:

And hitboxes, really? You can find the worst hitboxes in all gaming in DS1 - Titanite Demon, Ceaseless and Gaping are still unmatched.
I'm not talking about missmatched spacial hitboxes as much as misstimed ones. You'll see a wind up, get close, BAM you are hit as soon as the swing starts, looks and feels cheap. Did not notice this consistently in any of the other games.
And just to be clear I like DS2, it's a good game.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Even the basic act of moving your character around is broken in DS2, and that's just the beginning of the problems with that shitheap of a game. Stay coping, DS2 babies.

Vyadhis

Learned
Even the basic act of moving your character around is broken in DS2, and that's just the beginning of the problems with that shitheap of a game. Stay coping, DS2 babies.
even if DS2 was the worst Souls game it would still be above most games that try to emulate it

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
One of my biggest gripes with DS2 is how jank the lockon is. It's clearly meant to be an rpg mechanic type thing, by the way you can stay locked onto the sinner with the lights on but your lockon range is like 6 feet in the dark. However, this nonsense applies to enemies throughout the entire game, and having what is functionally part of the control scheme/UI be intentionally awkward and crap as a difficulty lever is not fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom