Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I swear I get a different stable framerate each time I run the freaking game, so you know. For example, yesterday it was perfectly smooth in the Crater town while typically it slows down to a crawl there.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
4eeNP9W.png

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
It is weird indeed, once when I was experimenting with detail settings, I turned down the shadows from Ultra to High. Didn't notice much difference, so I put it back to Ultra. The game suddenly performed great in the Berserker camp for just a few seconds before dropping from vsync 60 fps back to to 42. Speaking of shadows, they go completely bonkers in the Morkon underground.

edit - here's a screenshot showing my performance in a scene that should have hundreds of fps:

OjWa3Wq.png

You dont seem to understand how much power you need to render those lifeless eyes and that crooked eyebrow, just wait for rtx 4080 and maybe then you will appreciate what PB has created you ungrateful fucks.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, I hope you "HURRRRRR DUH MAP IS TOO BIG" mouthbreathers are happy now, the map is TINY this time. It's one little crater, with everything visible pretty early on from a transmitter tower.

Probably smaller than Subnautica: Below Zero :lol:

Everyone who complains about maps being too big or games too long, eat shit and die.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
men

at this point i feel like i could write a dissertation on everything that's wrong with this retarded fucking combat

hesu christo

three new points of rage:

- niggas with two-handed weapons can actually execute faster attacks than your fast one-handed attacks
- the fact that humanoid enemies don't use stamina for attacking is just... is just...
- niggas can just shoot you in the face at point blank with their OP guns and you can do precisely shit about it

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
- niggas can just shoot you in the face at point blank with their OP guns and you can do precisely shit about it
if you execute jet pack melee falcon attack all enemies bug out and will take out their guns even though you are in melee. This results in pelets in face unless you equip shield(remember you cant do jetpack attack with shield) quickly or dodge like a madman until enemies come back to their senses and pick their melee weapons again

vota DC

Augur
Or miss you, hit the wall or the floor and still damaging you because they are using a Rocket Launcher while they don't lose hp.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Anyone playing this on a 770 GTX? Textures and models disappearing for anyone else? Seeing to the center of the earth just for me or for you too?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope dx12 will help the performance. I am playing tiny bits of the game each week, waiting for big patch to actually play this for real. I do enjoy the little i played, so i hope they can do it

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
The obnoxious alchemist giving the PC a description for finding his apprentice in the manner of "Someone coming from the west, what the hell do I know, get lost." was quite lovable. West it was then. I've spent around an hour of playtime wandering around the wilderness searching, doing some fights, stealing from some Reavers etc. and voila.
I've found some Outlaw looking for the alchemist's apprentice as well. The game gave three possible choices on how to proceed with the quest / the Outlaw further. After that it took a little more thinking where the apprentice could be (possibly close-by because the Outlaw), and I've found the apprentice.
There we go again, no markers needed now even in the most vague quest description possible (compass turned off as well). I am sad for all the Elex 2 ill-reputed issues, but there are areas where it shines as an RPG, this being one of those.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
^ Yep, quest design so far seems p. good to me as well, though judging at least by the towns I've been to so far - depot, clerics, crater - there are way too few non-combat quests IMO. Still, they are all nicely involved and even the fetch quests are a cut above banality, and I also like the extended chains where a guy will have a new quest for you some time after you've finished the previous one.

And like I said, the Alb entry quest is really fucking good, it's miles above all the faction entry quests of ELEX 1 put together.

Also when it comes to markers, when I was checking how these work I was also pleased to see that the game doesn't put down precise markers to every objective, but instead marks a 'general area' where the objective can be found.

That said, am I missing something here? The shady collector at the depot told me to steal 5 packs of ELEX rations for him. I snitched on him to Azok, and he said 'ok thx but make sure the packs can be found on him'. So I stole all the 5 packs, tried to talk with a bunch of people who should be interested in this, got nothing. Gave them to the quest giver, mission accomplished, tried to talk with the same people again, nothing. Is there really nothing more to this quest and snitching to Azok doesn't do shit?

Also in unrelated news, nice clipping:

202204011733421.jpg

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Upgraded to a 3080. Performance isn't much better. wtf

Butter smooth on my 3070 at 1440p with everything maxed out.
This is a filthy lie, because it is certainly not in Tavar. Check your fps there. Except you as the sole person in the world has the magic recipe.

Pretty much the only area I've been in.

I did notice big performance drops on my laptop in the same area tho. But even that seems to have gotten better with the recent patch

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Not really, I got a comparable 2080 Ti and 12xR9 3900, and I get fps as low as 40 in Tavar, which is NOT buttersmooth.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Not really, I got a comparable 2080 Ti and 12xR9 3900, and I get fps as low as 40 in Tavar, which is NOT buttersmooth.

Don't think mine was ever below 70 tbh.

I think it might be a CPU issue, recently got a laptop for less than half price so I jumped on it, Ryzen 6800H with RTX 3070, on that there are slowdowns, on the desktop it runs the same as any other area. Not super fast 200+ like most other games but I didn't notice any obvious slowdowns. And others in the thread have said the same.

Jinn

Arcane
There we go again, no markers needed now even in the most vague quest description possible (compass turned off as well). I am sad for all the Elex 2 ill-reputed issues, but there are areas where it shines as an RPG, this being one of those.

Yep, I haven't had to use quest markers a single time yet in my 20ish hour playthrough. Really appreciate that. They seemed to put more effort into it than in ELEX 1. Also cool that you have to actually manually track a quest before markers show up, rather than it happening as soon as the quest triggers.

Would be further into the game, but am holding out hope for this magical rumored optimization patch that'll probably never actually happen before I continue. Really, my performance is pretty great outside of settlements, but it'd be awesome to explore some of the most important locations in the game without it dropping to sub-30fps.

Codex Year of the Donut
Can you import an old save game for continuation or does the game assume one fixed canonical ending of the first game?

This isn't Mass Effect
rpgs have had save imports for years going back to wiz6-7-8, it's something you should expect from a direct continuation. Instead, you get forced with a ton of choices you never made based on what the designers decided for you.
I shouldn't have to point out why not having save imports is bad for the same reason a game randomly deciding to invalidate every choice you've made so far is bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom