Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Half-Life: Alyx - Valve's full-length flagship VR game set between HL1 and HL2

Black

Arcane
Wouldn't care about HL3, this one seems even less impressive.

Dexter

Arcane
Don't you guys have Oculus headsets?
I do, I also got a Vive and a Valve Index too though. Probably gonna try this on the latter, since that's probably what they developed it for.

You might have noticed it appearing at the Top of the Steam Sales charts every other month, like right now and undoubtedly over the next few days and possibly weeks due to this Announcement, especially once we get some Trailer or Preview:
DPRZhRp.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much though, since I heard there will likely also be a version for pancake/flatscreen peons to play on their Bulgarian wood PCs too, that will likely not experience any of the novelties and innovations they put into this (and it's going to be a Prequel anyway).

My biggest concern would be that maybe the Campo Santo-tards and similar had too much influence on the development of this and instead of a silent protagonist type like Half Life 2 or Portal/2 watching a narrative unfold before them with other characters being the focal point they turned it into "Stronk Womyn - The Game", we'll see.

Last edited:

Boleskine

Arcane
This is the most anticipated VR game of 2016.

Dear Valve, if you want to use a flagship title to sell a hardware platform, maybe release that title when the hardware launches and not 3+ years later.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
wait lmao this is actually real? A decade of mocking valve and half life 3 memes have numbed me to the point that I dismiss any news as fake.

Sentinel

Arcane
I really wonder if they kept Alyx's VA, and if G-Man or Dr. Klein will make an appearance. Their VAs are so old now I'm very curious to hear what they'd sound like back in character.

Dexter

Arcane
This is the most anticipated VR game of 2016.

Dear Valve, if you want to use a flagship title to sell a hardware platform, maybe release that title when the hardware launches and not 3+ years later.
The Valve Index launched on 31 June of 2019 (and development of "full" game titles also take time).

I and others also thought it's going to come bundled with what was then dubbed as "Half Life VR" (maybe Valve did too at some point?):
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rift-vive-vr-general.109448/page-4#post-5877168
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rift-vive-vr-general.109448/page-5#post-6077517

But there's also wisdom in a slow rollout without your hottest, most anticipated title out front (which will create more Hype, demand and anticipation at a later date) to let all the enthusiasts and whales buy and work out the kinks and calculate demand, since it was also out of stock for the first month like 20 minutes after the Sales page went Live and back-ordered to like late August within a few hours even at that high price-point:
23 minutes into the Pre-Ordering period they apparently sold out of stock in the US and the shipping dates slipped into July 31:
jAbyiOP.jpg

Sold out in the EU now too after 1 hour 30.

Updated Shipping dates now August 31 across regions.
It just recently became available to buy immediately instead of "Reserve" at the end of August. I wouldn't be surprised if it's back-ordered for a few months again after they officially announce the game.

They're also working on at least two other "flagship VR titles" btw., it's not just "Half Life VR", although there is much less known about them. My personal guess is that whatever "In the Valley of Gods" turned into, which the Campo Santo people were working on before being acquired might be one of them, which I would personally find disappointing.

Boneworks, which is also "Half Life-like" also comes out in under a month and is rather anticipated, although not by Valve:

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
It's a glorious salt mine watching people who fundamentally misunderstand what the Half-Life series is getting upset that they're going VR exclusive. Half-Life has always been a technical showcase first, video game product second. VR is the natural next step of progression for the series. Now go buy a $100 mixed reality headset and call it a day instead of being mad about this.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh, I may check it out as I think an innovative 3D FPS shooter would be nice. I'm not against innovation, as I believe something will eventually come of this 3D investment, but I cringe at the womyn empowerment angle that we may all be bludgeoned with. Thankfully, we have the silent heroes at Loverslab to fight the good fight and free this game from the tyranny of overt politics and any kind of so-called "message."

Love

Cipher
Are the rumors true, that this marks the return of Randy Pitchford to the Half Life series?

That would explain the naughty study material on his USB stick: Squirting Alyx will be part of VR experience!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You might have noticed it appearing at the Top of the Steam Sales charts every other month, like right now and undoubtedly over the next few days and possibly weeks due to this Announcement, especially once we get some Trailer or Preview:

"You might have noticed that they put one of their own products at the top for maximum visibility."

Fascinating.

It just recently became available to buy immediately instead of "Reserve" at the end of August. I wouldn't be surprised if it's back-ordered for a few months again after they officially announce the game.

Everything today gets "sold out". Fuck it if this is not another marketinbg thing. "Like guise, our product is so awesome it sold out immediately! But don't worry, you can order more tomorrow!"

that will likely not experience any of the novelties and innovations they put into this

:lol:

Novelties AND innovations. Wow, like wow, bro. Will it also have breakthroughs and steps forward? Will it be cutting edge and ground-breaking?

Nice coping, bro.
Not even after all this time have you managed to get over being scammed into buying the Oculus "Creator Edition" (fucking LMAO) and you're still trying to somehow motivate it. Even if by now it's completely useless. You even got others in the meantime. Hey, the more I have the more it means that this technology is worth something, right??!!!

Imagine being so brainwashed to think that VR is automatically superior to what we have now. This should be reason enough to watchwiz somebody.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Don't you guys have Oculus headsets?
Several people I know do. Not Occulus specifically, because it's shit, but VR headset. Sometimes even few. The prices aren't that exorbitant for an employed man not to afford them. As for myself, I don't, only because I don't own a beastly PC to work well with games I'd like to use them with, which is simulators. For casual VR trash however, even a mid grade rig works, I just don't care for "party games" much.

Dexter

Arcane
"You might have noticed that they put one of their own products at the top for maximum visibility."

Fascinating.
Are you trying to make posts even dumber than your extremely stupid rants in the "Epic Games" thread? Fascinating indeed.

Everything today gets "sold out". Fuck it if this is not another marketinbg thing. "Like guise, our product is so awesome it sold out immediately! But don't worry, you can order more tomorrow!"
Yes, it makes total sense to delay your new product for 3-4 months even though there are people willing to Pre-Order because "marketinbg", you're just a brilliant fucking mind. :lol:

Nice coping, bro.
Not even after all this time have you managed to get over being scammed into buying the Oculus "Creator Edition" (fucking LMAO) and you're still trying to somehow motivate it. Even if by now it's completely useless. You even got others in the meantime. Hey, the more I have the more it means that this technology is worth something, right??!!!

Imagine being so brainwashed to think that VR is automatically superior to what we have now. This should be reason enough to watchwiz somebody.
There is no such thing as an "Oculus Creator Edition" (fucking LMAO). I've had a Oculus Rift DK1, DK2, CV1, GearVR, Vive and the latest one is an Index I bought just a few months ago. You and your few Bulgarian friends still playing on your AMD K6-2 450Mhz are the ones COPing hard here. I'll probably have fun with the game and all the new gameplay mechanics and ways they thought of interacting with shit, while you and your buddies fling poo around and come up with new rationalizations why "new tech is shit" and try to talk about things you obviously have not the slightest clue about, since you haven't even tried it and come out looking like a dumbfuck to anyone who has.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Alyx VR game" conjures up mental images I am not sure I wanted.

WRT its viability, it sounds crazy and unappealing, but so did Steam when it launched. Needing a home net connection to play games, and exhausting your monthly DL quotas to obtain them? Not actually owning games on a disk? Getting screwed out of permanent ownership rights by DRM (a phrase many of us learned at that time)? Surely nobody in their right mind would fall for that. And yet, here we are 16 years later, and Steam is king of the game distribution platforms. Mary Sue Stronk Womynz Waifu Simulator will probably be a tremendous success.
Decline. Decline never changes. :decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom