Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Another suggestion is to not take Livewire, her Talent is massive OP. With intel, you can know where every enemy is, making the game less fun, imo.
I would also say Ivan is too OP. I am deliberately not taking Ivan, Livewire, and Fox. In fact, the whole reason I trained Barry in mechanics was not to have Livewire. I agree that she is also annoying, but actually a rather realistic character that way. It's definitely a type that exists and it's amusing how they nailed this image. Although it wasn't nearly as pronounced in 2001.

But also, training is so fast that uniques, talents, and perhaps wisdom are the only things that really differentiate between mercs. The most clumsy mercs can quite easily get to 90 Agi/Dex, for example.

Both Ivan and Fox, while still great mercs in JA 3, are still fair game, not brokenly unfair like Livewire, the best merc by far.

In JA 2 Ivan was strong as well. But he is expensive till you control at least 2 or 3 mines and Fox is not an S tier merc, although she is great for the 100 DEX and Striking Looks Perk. She doesn't have great Wis, nor Medical and Marksmanship, but will be top tier by the middle to end game. She is probably the funniest merc, so I like to take her and only choose Dr. Q when I want a full melee/close range squad (with Fidel, Scully and so on). MD is a retard, I don't like him, although he is good if you bring him in the beginning and if he manages to survive till his wisdom score makes him top tier.

Barry is also top tier, S tier even, and better than Fox. He is 93 in explosives and with his high wisdom, you won't even need to hire a mechanic: he can do both roles and produce regularly one of the best grenades in the game. You won't need to hire Steroid nor the loony Ukrainian girl (although she is bad, in general, her perk is one of the strongest in the game, so it's alright to bring her if you think Barry is way OP). Vicky is too expensive for the early game on the highest difficulty. I like to take Raven-Charlene duo, cause his LDR is brutally good and in this game, we can't raise it when we train militia like in JA 2 (LDR is important for moving around quickly). Both are quite expensive, and it's tough to get Vicky alongside the cops.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Anyone know if the breach & clear perk is bugged? I can't get it to trigger.

U10pQ2.jpg
I recall this perk working during my playthrough, and I can't find any indication on the Steam discussions forum that a bug exists. Perhaps this became bugged in the latest patch/hotfix. :M
Maybe check that none of the equipment you're using is Cumbersome, which removes all movement points. Like Zed, I used this perk and it worked fine, although it's possible that a recent patch might have broken it.

This game will be wayyyyy too easy if you don't play Iron Man (true Iron Man, not the one where you can just reload the beginning of the last battle). Choose the “dead is dead” setting. That's iron man essentially, saving after every turn in combat and pretty much after most actions you do or changing scenes etc.

Then the setting right below called “to the bitter end” states that “saving the game during combat is forbidden”.

Now if you turn on both, you essentially have a game that auto-saves but not during combat, so you can always go back to your most recent save game which is the start of combat. Effectively making the game not a true iron man game.

So when you start a new game, you have to pick “dead is dead” and DO NOT pick “till the bitter end”. The “till the bitter end” option would be best suited for non-ironman players who still want the additional challenge of not being able to save manually during combat.
I restarted with these settings, and it is indeed much better this way. It's especially good for the first playthrough as the AI's ambush attempts and the plot twists are more effective this way. Although there are a few silly things like the poachers inexplicably getting angry at me, invalidating a major quest to get a free NPC.

I am rather enjoying the writing and the setting is fresh enough.
I would never recommend the iron man setting in any game, for the simple reason that bugs happen (and sometimes, constant autosaving impacts performance). If you really want to play ironman, just don't reload.

As for the difficulty in general, it gets easy fairly early on and stays that way for a good while, certain setpieces and special maps notwithstanding. The difficulty does ramp up later on, however, and the endgame can be properly challenging.

In Jagged Alliance 2 it is pretty hard to do an iron man run, but here it's doable even on the hardest difficulty. I didn't have problems with save corruption here, but you can always back up the files.

Shaki

Arbiter
Was the balance/difficulty improved since launch, or is it still the same boring shit where you murder whole map with one stealth guy, or even if you don't do stealth, the moment you get multiple sniper rifles you just autowin the game?

destinae vomitus

Educated
Larry is better than Barry, really so is any explosives expert besides Red. Most people I've seen just put the former on permament ammo/explosives crafting duty when it really should be the other way around considering that he has actual combat perks and good ones at that, while Barry just makes shaped charges for free, which anyone with high explosives can use reliably despite what the tooltip might suggest.

Last edited:

Humanophage

Arcane
Another suggestion is to not take Livewire, her Talent is massive OP. With intel, you can know where every enemy is, making the game less fun, imo.
I would also say Ivan is too OP. I am deliberately not taking Ivan, Livewire, and Fox. In fact, the whole reason I trained Barry in mechanics was not to have Livewire. I agree that she is also annoying, but actually a rather realistic character that way. It's definitely a type that exists and it's amusing how they nailed this image. Although it wasn't nearly as pronounced in 2001.

But also, training is so fast that uniques, talents, and perhaps wisdom are the only things that really differentiate between mercs. The most clumsy mercs can quite easily get to 90 Agi/Dex, for example.

Both Ivan and Fox, while still great mercs in JA 3, are still fair game, not brokenly unfair like Livewire, the best merc by far.

In JA 2 Ivan was strong as well. But he is expensive till you control at least 2 or 3 mines and Fox is not an S tier merc, although she is great for the 100 DEX and Striking Looks Perk. She doesn't have great Wis, nor Medical and Marksmanship, but will be top tier by the middle to end game. She is probably the funniest merc, so I like to take her and only choose Dr. Q when I want a full melee/close range squad (with Fidel, Scully and so on). MD is a retard, I don't like him, although he is good if you bring him in the beginning and if he manages to survive till his wisdom score makes him top tier.

Barry is also top tier, S tier even, and better than Fox. He is 93 in explosives and with his high wisdom, you won't even need to hire a mechanic: he can do both roles and produce regularly one of the best grenades in the game. You won't need to hire Steroid nor the loony Ukrainian girl (although she is bad, in general, her perk is one of the strongest in the game, so it's alright to bring her if you think Barry is way OP). Vicky is too expensive for the early game on the highest difficulty. I like to take Raven-Charlene duo, cause his LDR is brutally good and in this game, we can't raise it when we train militia like in JA 2 (LDR is important for moving around quickly). Both are quite expensive, and it's tough to get Vicky alongside the cops.
I am playing with the following squad:
1. IMP as the basic assault/sniper rifle user.
2. Buns as a light sniper. I'm just a Buns simp in general, she was my favourite merc in JA2.
3. Blood for some stealth. I also started using him for shotguns, whilst using his special for additional mobility. From an RP point, makes sense to have a black in Africa.
4. Larry for a mixture of explosives and shotgun. He is a weak though as it takes forever to train him.
5. Hitman as the heavy sniper. I originally thought he'd be good for machine guns as well.
6. Grunty as the machine gunner. I put him on overwatch before the battle starts and he mows half the enemies down when they scatter.
ctfHeal.png

I also wanted to take Nails because he makes a good shotgun user, and shotguns are kind of fun. But there's no space left really. And I kind of wanted one of the old mercs like Fauda and Len work with the magazines. Barry, Kalyna, and Meltdown are dead - the former mauled by a crocodile and the latter suffocated by a zombie.

Ivan just looks way, way too strong. Killing someone with a shotgun is 4 AP, he restores 3 AP and gets free movement. This is just endless AP.

I have no trouble with money as I am mainly using cheap mercs.

Last edited:

Gambler

Augur
Ivan just looks way, way too strong. Killing someone with a shotgun is 4 AP, he restores 3 AP and gets free movement. This is just endless AP.
I don't even think that's the most OP build he can have. You can put points into melee perks and give him a sharpened combat knife. Then he can kill several people without spending a single AP. His starting kit is also very good. He is pretty expensive, though.

I don't recommend trying ironman on the first playthrough. There are places where the game just isn't fair and you will get screwed up, unless you know about certain things in advance. It also makes figuring certain things out way too hard, because you can't just test by reloading.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I don't even think that's the most OP build he can have. You can put points into melee perks and give him a sharpened combat knife. Then he can kill several people without spending a single AP. His starting kit is also very good. He is pretty expensive, though.
I gave Ivan the 6 round grenade launcher you get. against large groups he could just keep shooting forever, as each grenade would kill at least one enemy and wound others, setting them up to be killed by the next shot. The only problem was that the GL would lose condition very quickly, and eventually jam.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Melee in general is extremely strong on any merc with the right stats and perks. Going full machete rape liberation squad is a ton of fun and I would strongly recommend it for a second or third playthrough. The perk tree almost feels geared towards melee more than ranged, and character advancement is a lot more interesting when building close-range dudes.

Shaki

Arbiter
I started a new playthrough, on ironman and using roleplay builds rather than optimizing (eg. my Vicki is running around dualwielding pistols even tho it's dogshit) and limiting myself to only 1 sniper rifle/machinegun per squad and not using Ivan/Livewire, it's actually kinda fun. It sucks that you can't really play around with optimizing characters and squads, since the game is so easy that any kind of metagaming breaks it and makes it trivial, but if you build for RP and have shitty tools to use, then fights themselves can actually feel kinda fun and challenging.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik

2. Buns as a light sniper. I'm just a Buns simp in general, she was my favourite merc in JA2.
3. Blood for some stealth. I also started using him for shotguns, whilst using his special for additional mobility. From an RP point, makes sense to have a black in Africa.
4. Larry for a mixture of explosives and shotgun. He is a weak though as it takes forever to train him.
5. Hitman as the heavy sniper. I originally thought he'd be good for machine guns as well.
6. Grunty as the machine gunner. I put him on overwatch before the battle starts and he mows half the enemies down when they scatter.
ctfHeal.png

I also wanted to take Nails because he makes a good shotgun user, and shotguns are kind of fun. But there's no space left really. And I kind of wanted one of the old mercs like Fauda and Len work with the magazines. Barry, Kalyna, and Meltdown are dead - the former mauled by a crocodile and the latter suffocated by a zombie.

Pretty cool. I'm considering doing another vanilla run, on hardest and dead is dead, but not forced iron man (will not save scum, though). And I'm considering going with Grunty and Hitman, along with Ice, Foxy and Barry. Will use Meltdown and Blood, eventually, cuz somewhat cheapish. Is Grunty that good? He has some cool perks, but meh marksmanship. My IMP is the leader and negotiator. LDR is extremely important in this game for moving quickly, and Raider is way too expensive.

Humanophage

Arcane

ctfHeal.png

Pretty cool. I'm considering doing another vanilla run, on hardest and dead is dead, but not forced iron man (will not save scum, though). And I'm considering going with Grunty and Hitman, along with Ice, Foxy and Barry. Will use Meltdown and Blood, eventually, cuz somewhat cheapish. Is Grunty that good? He has some cool perks, but meh marksmanship. My IMP is the leader and negotiator. LDR is extremely important in this game for moving quickly, and Raider is way too expensive.
Grunty is pretty good, but you need to be strategic about him because he can blow your cover as he always has that surprise attack. Hitman isn't that great as a starting character because his stats are very low, so he only gets good after training. Blood is very strong especially early on, as is Barry. Barry's grenades are extremely powerful. But it's best to use them with some other character who has more combat-oriented traits. Haven't tried Ice because having two blacks is a bit too much for me.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I didn't particularly enjoy how Grunty would often start combat by turning around and shooting a fellow mercenary in the head. I like Hitman better, sure he's slow but he's a crack shot. Blood and Barry are both ace, that's true.

Humanophage

Arcane
I didn't particularly enjoy how Grunty would often start combat by turning around and shooting a fellow mercenary in the head. I like Hitman better, sure he's slow but he's a crack shot. Blood and Barry are both ace, that's true.
This can be avoided by positioning Grunty into machine gun overwatch before combat starts.

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
After a short initial interest I can’t get back to the game. I think its main problems are unappealing setting and story. Without anything fueling my interest it just becomes tedious to do stuff. It’s a quality game though, sad. Really if it was set in some janky postapo I would have been much more interested.

Ryzer

Arcane
After a short initial interest I can’t get back to the game. I think its main problems are unappealing setting and story. Without anything fueling my interest it just becomes tedious to do stuff. It’s a quality game though, sad. Really if it was set in some janky postapo I would have been much more interested.
32862.jpg

Accurate.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are they done patching this yet? Wondering if I should wait few more months or try this already.
I just checked over the roadmap stuff. Game is currently v1.4 which has all the gameplay updates, quality of life, etc. v1.5 is still to come, but that is mod support and custom maps. I think substantial updates of the main game are over for the forseeable.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
As someone who hasn't yet purchased the game, is this is a glitch or does Grunty just have a chance of randomly going "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD" and offering one of his fellows as a sacrifice as combat begins?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
As someone who hasn't yet purchased the game, is this is a glitch or does Grunty just have a chance of randomly going "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD" and offering one of his fellows as a sacrifice as combat begins?
Grunty has a special ability where if combat starts while he is in range of an enemy, he will take a shot at him for free. Grunty doesn't particularly care if there is a friendly person in the line of fire.

geno

Savant
JA3 DevStream 33 - Discussing Patch 1.5.0 - New Game Rules
1.5.0 is almost upon us.

This week we'll talk about the new Game Rules that will be included in the coming patch and we will be talking about the new Game Rules in patch 1.5.0. After that we'll continue with DevsPlay with Lyubo.

The dev stream will begin at 16:00 CET / 15:00 GMT

Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/haemimontgames
Seems like we are getting another big patch with the modding tools.

Saduj

Arcane
Started playing this over the weekend. Thumbs up so far. My squad is Custom Merc, Igor (only recently added), Livewire, MD, Barry and Buns. Buns and the custom dude are the most effective in combat. Barry is my favorite and still undetected.

The quality of life update I'd most like to see is the addition of mine sweeping the current map to the Operations menu. Leave in possibility of injury and everything but FFS don't make me do it manually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom