Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic & Mercenaries: The Curse of Eternal Darkness

As the old adage goes: the first 90% takes 90% of the development time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the development time.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Since you asked so nicely, here's a current screenshot of the party exploring some burned out ruins in the middle of a forest...

2020-08.png

Something super minor, but I was wondering if you had a reason for having mana on the left, and health on the right. From what I remember of most old school games, it was the opposite.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Something super minor, but I was wondering if you had a reason for having mana on the left, and health on the right. From what I remember of most old school games, it was the opposite.

Mainly because in the Gold Box games, the HP were all the way to the right:

OIP.oKlUnQUWhYkU5EugkO9sigHaEo

What I've done is aligned things in a similar fashion, but squeezed "Condition" between the name and the armor, and then squeezed "Mana" between the armor and health.

If it bothers people in some major way (you're the first person I've heard even mention it), swapping them would be trivial, so it's something I could do. (I might even make it moddable in some way).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It struck me as odd too. I mean, I suppose the hp of a character is the first thing I'd like to look at against their name.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
This screenshot shows the difference in the two mini-maps built into the game:

2020-10.png

The small mini-map on the middle left is always on. It moves with the party and shows you your current surroundings.

The larger mini-map, activated by the MAP button, shows a much wider view. The player cannot move while it is activated, but it allows you to take some time to get a better vantage point on what lies in your general vicinity. Useful in some situations where you might want to know what general direction to head to get to a specific point in a dungeon or something (like back to the exit).

BONUS:
This screen also shows that the characters have all gained enough experience and are ready to train to the next level. You will know when this happens when their name turns yellow instead of the usual green. (All this information will likely be documented in a manual that nobody will ever read once the game is released).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Actually, if the arrow in the map points my heading, why do I need a compass at all?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Actually, if the arrow in the map points my heading, why do I need a compass at all?

I...umm...hadn't thought of that...

To be fair, the compass was put in before the smaller mini-map was made a permanent feature of the screen. The original plan wasn't to have a mini-map available at all times, but over time I came to realize that players will probably get quite a bit of value out of it. So, maybe I'll reconsider the compass.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

I...umm...hadn't thought of that...

To be fair, the compass was put in before the smaller mini-map was made a permanent feature of the screen. The original plan wasn't to have a mini-map available at all times, but over time I came to realize that players will probably get quite a bit of value out of it. So, maybe I'll reconsider the compass.
There is the consideration of people with eyesight issues of course, but then the screen size could fix that.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Can you make an option that the map at the beginning is covered and only if you step on a square does it get uncovered. I know you follow the Goldbox formula, but its the one thing I really hate about Goldbox games, that they always showed the full map from the start, instead of letting you explore it and discover it square by square.

Ysaye

Arbiter
(All this information will likely be documented in a manual that nobody will ever read once the game is released).
If you want people to read the manual, put some manual-based copy protection in there(Type the first word of paragraph x on page y...) or better yet, journal entries.

Maybe a more effective way to get people to look at the manual would to be put full page scantily clad female characters 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3 of the way through.....

Dorateen

Arcane
Using Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra as an example, you could have a persistent mini-map with an arrow that shows the party facing, as well as compass direction indicated in the center diamond of the adventure screen. Of course, these were spells that could be cast by the player, but it seems this would be a valid approach for first person exploration.

5f74d96c1c901.jpg

Quilty

Magister
Can you make an option that the map at the beginning is covered and only if you step on a square does it get uncovered. I know you follow the Goldbox formula, but its the one thing I really hate about Goldbox games, that they always showed the full map from the start, instead of letting you explore it and discover it square by square.

Definitely this.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

Definitely this.
I tend to like that you can't know where you went and where you didn't go the way it is currently.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Changing the map style probably won’t happen.

For one, I have no desire to do it. But also, it would require a huge overhaul and a whole new system to implement, which would suck away time that’s going into content development.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom