Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I love all the butthurt fuckwits mad over how much better PoE2 is compared to whatever shit crpg they're playing.
You dug through my post history and gave 7 of them retarded ratings in less than a minute after I rated one of yours. Who's actually butthurt in this thread, moron?

barghwata

Savant
You dug through my post history and gave 7 of them retarded ratings in less than a minute after I rated one of yours. Who's actually butthurt in this thread, moron?

Haha I can confirm, he started digging through my post history as well.

barghwata

Savant
unknown.png

Stay mad bro

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
If the Dragon Age Origins praise thread is any indication, it takes around ten years for people to admit a disappointing game can be good.
PoE(I & II) is basically good-looking DAO with an actual combat system, after all.

I thought DAO was good back in the day, because it was in the middle of the RPG draught and it was good for what it is.

But nowadays I can't bring myself to replay it due to its utterly atrocious encounter design, absolute bottom of the barrel trash mob filler shit. Whenever I think of DAO, what comes to my mind is the feeling of exhaustion due to all those copypasted mobs I was forced to slay my way through.

Terrible.
I perfectly know what you mean since I attempted to replay it recently, quit out of boredom after 10hrs. But I also see what the game did good, especially back then. It also felt weird to see a pre-ME2 Bioware game again, almost makes me want to sneak another peek at ME1.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Both Pillars games are bad RPGs and there's no escaping that, but with patches Deadfire became a quite enjoyable combatfag RPG-lite isometric popcorn. In this day and age I'll take what I can get.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My problem with PoE2's turn based mode is that it takes forever to cast spells. It's just so lame. Especially when the enemies move and the mage still slings his Fireball at nothing like an idiot.

On the contrary, it's done to simulate the fact that spells take time to cast, time in which someone can interrupt the mage or dodge their spell, instant spell casting would probably remove alot of tactical depth from the combat and turn it into a spell throwing match where whoever uses their spells faster wins, which would be further exasperated by the fact that the game lets you use your strongest spells in every encounter with no limits.

I agree however that there should've been perhaps a mechanic that allows mages to cancel their casting on the second turn if it's no longer beneficial.

In real time mode, you can retarget a spell dynamically while the character is casting it -- can you not do that in TB mode? Never tried TB so I don't know.

Nope. What you CAN and often should do, is to delay your turn, let the enemies move first and only then start casting. Watch out for enemy CC though :)

Efe

Erudite
You need only look at Aloth's first dialogue to declare poe's writing shit.
deadfire might have improved in all areas but it's still a sequel to a pile of turd.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Wish the TB mode had a mod that would cast free action spells/abilities automatically at the start of combat. That shit gets old fast.

KateMicucci

Arcane
deadfire might have improved in all areas but it's still a sequel to a pile of turd.
What's wrong with Aloth? I agree PoE was pretty bad but Aloth seemed like one of the few tolerable companions.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Like, I played and enjoyed PoE and PoE 2 for what they were, but shit like that tweet makes me just embarrassed and kinda makes me wish I had gone outside or played Stalker instead or something. I don't want my circle on a Venn diagram anywhere near the people that are like 'jajaja lol' to that.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Setting their own IP on fire. That generation is so unbelievably fucked. They're going to end up transhuman out of sheer embarrassment.

Efe

Erudite
What's wrong with Aloth? I agree PoE was pretty bad but Aloth seemed like one of the few tolerable companions.
"So what made you get stuck here?"
Aloth proceeds to tell you his name, surname, family situation, his woes, his favorite food, where he is from, regional statistics of where he is from, etc.
no better than oblivion npcs

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
"So what made you get stuck here?"
Aloth proceeds to tell you his name, surname, family situation, his woes, his favorite food, where he is from, regional statistics of where he is from, etc.
no better than oblivion npcs

Aloth was the NPC for cat ladies. Real men played melee mages and never added him to the party.

The perfect party:

PC- Melee Mage
Eder
Durance
Grieving Mother
Profit!

Perkel

Arcane

No he wasn't. Main problem with POE1/2 companions is that they are either retarded or they don't really have any reason to stick to you. Durance and Mother are cut above rest of those companions and you can see that easily. POE2 characters are but better but they are still shit.

They live for you and that is a sin in roleplaying game.

BG2 characters were loved because they didn't live for you, they had their own motivations, character endings mid game, they could die permanently due to your actions. They had life of their own in limited sense of that world where POE characters from both 1 and 2 are just your lube for fucking and they don't have their own mind, they will be whatever you want them to be like a prostitute, which feels hollow. And unlike POE BG2 characters talked less but more to the point and thanks to this there were more of them which allowed you to form party to your liking instead of taking everyone you meet because there isn't really anyone else so you end up in party of guys who you don't really like.

Oh and don't forget that characters could actually not like each other and they would go for each other after a while.

Aloth would be infinitely better character if his Laden key background wasn't just for show and he would actively try to kill you along the way slightly changing outcomes of quests and be traitor to the end.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
<<stipid tweet of eder, not worth your bandwith embedding a second time>>

:deathclaw:

I've been wondering. In a ruleset where with the exact same base attributes it would have been possible to create a well-functioning wizard, is there any connection between Eder being a warrior and a big tall man, or is it completely by accident/cosmetic choice. Nothing in his base attributes says "this aspect of his mental or physical disposition nudged him into developing the skills which put him in his profession". And the same seems to be valid for all characters created with this ruleset.

Is it a good ruleset when build choices have marginal impact? Where the same set of base attributes can be larped as a warrior and as a wizard, with swapping your portrait and choosing a different class?

I know the counter argument, so don't bother making it - yes, in D&D ruleset videogames the rational behavior is to max out four stats and dump two (albeit this is caused less than the D&D ruleset and more by the design of the adventures you play - not using stat checks). PoE's answer however is little better, if at all. You may max out Charisma instead of Intelligence for a Sorcerer vs a Wizard in D&D, but in PoE you wouldn't have to make even this change when deciding between what class to play. You call this an improvement?

Parabalus

Arcane
ou may max out Charisma instead of Intelligence for a Sorcerer vs a Wizard in D&D, but in PoE you wouldn't have to make even this change when deciding between what class to play. You call this an improvement?

In PoE you choose attributes depending on the role, not class.

You'll max out either MIG&PER if you want the to deal damage, RES if you want them to tank, INT for buffs and CC etc. Huge difference in role for e.g. a wizard or barb with low might and high PER, and between low vs. high RES versions.

The game lacking difficulty so you can't appreciate the difference is another matter.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In PoE you choose attributes depending on the role, not class.
To an extent, yes. Blurring the differences between the archetypal classes, those associated with the combat roles, is what I meant by asking why did they even feel compelled to create a relation between the role of a party tank and the image of a healthy, strong-looking man.

The game lacking difficulty so you can't appreciate the difference is another matter.
Explain what you mean by difficulty, please.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

This is every RPG character since the 00s. He also doesn't tell you everything (e.g. Iselmyr and his involvement with the Leaden Key).

They live for you and that is a sin in roleplaying game.

This is also true for every RPG since the 00s. Lot of people hated the idea that companions would leave you if your rep was too high or too low or inevitably fight with each other, which is why Bioware stopped doing that ever since.

copebot

Learned
POE convinced me that the entire RPG 'companion' trope is bad. I was already on the fence about it after Mass Effect 3, but all the poor writing and heavy dialogue of these two games alienated me from the whole concept. I think people saw one game do it well (Torment) and then tried to systematize it with the later Bioware games, and it just never turned into something compelling.

The wild thing about all the dialogue from the companions is that it winds up being more :words: than a lot of novels, but with far less bearing on the narrative than you would see in a novel. Unlike in a novel, in these games, the action entirely freezes whenever a dialogue window opens. Whereas in a novel, conversation is going to be dynamic, in video games, unless it's an animated cut scene, you just have characters standing around talking to one another to interrupt the action continuously. A conversation that would be paraphrased as an aside in a novel (because it's a boring conversation) would instead be typed out laboriously in a POE style video game, interrupting the action. In POE2 this is really accentuated by the fully voiced and narrated scenes of mundane quest givers that, in a novel, would have been paraphrased in a few lines.

Voluntarily inviting word salad dispensers into your party just makes the game worse and detracts from its positive aspects especially given that this game is nice enough to give you the alternative of creating a full party. There are thousands of acceptable novels out there and hundreds of great literary works that are worth your time. Companion writing in video games would never pass muster in a pilot for even a bottom tier cable TV network from affirmative action scriptwriters. There's an entire popular category of game that caters to the type of person who loves companion dialogue in video games: the visual novel, written down to their comprehension level, with no gameplay to distract them from the parasocial interaction they crave to distract them from the loneliness of their actual lives.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom